Last book you read that you just couldn't put down?

14,674 Views | 145 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Johnny Danger
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
schmendeler said:

Tanya 93 said:

Urban Ag said:

hurleyag said:

Ready Player One is mine. I just get engulfed in the Oasis every time I pick up the book.
My ten year old has read it at least three times in the last year. He loves it. I may have to give it a try. Not my area of interest but good writing is good writing.
My ten year old loves it too

But instead of nostalgia it's like a pop culture history book for him.
<puts reading glasses back on>

that's bullsh**, we're not that old

<throws reading glasses at monitor>
schmendeler
AG
You'll feel better after you've had your prune juice.
Southlake
All the Light We Cannot See.
jkag89
Southlake said:

All the Light We Cannot See.
Fantastic read.
Tanya 93
schmendeler said:

Tanya 93 said:

Urban Ag said:

hurleyag said:

Ready Player One is mine. I just get engulfed in the Oasis every time I pick up the book.
My ten year old has read it at least three times in the last year. He loves it. I may have to give it a try. Not my area of interest but good writing is good writing.
My ten year old loves it too

But instead of nostalgia it's like a pop culture history book for him.
This is a kid that can quote Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

He has been raised on the 80s
jkag89
Benny pretty much had no hope of being a "normal" kid or at least normal for his generation.
Tanya 93
jkag89 said:

Benny pretty much had no hope of being a "normal" kid or at least normal for his generation.
Of course not.

But he is doing 5 weeks of theatre camp!
jkag89
He is going to pick up chicks. Smart boy.
Max Power
AG
Band of Brothers, I love the HBO series so I don't know why I waited so long, the book is equally outstanding. Highly recommend.
ccaggie05
AG
Ready Player One and The Martian were both books I finished in a day.

I'm pretty sure I finished The Da Vinci Code in one day back in college and remembered having a great time with it. Of course that book has gotten a ton of backlash since.

The last one I'll add is The Winds of War by Herman Wouk, which is my favorite book. It's quite long but I remember tearing through it every moment I could when I read it.
The Dog Lord
AG
Most recent quick reads for me are:

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
Forever Free by Joe Haldeman
Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke
The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins

I wouldn't put any of these in the same category as RPO or similar books that you want to read straight though because they are so entertaining, but I still wanted to read these as soon as I had a spare second.
Rudyjax
AG
The Dog Lord said:

Most recent quick reads for me are:

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
Forever Free by Joe Haldeman
Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke
The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins

I wouldn't put any of these in the same category as RPO or similar books that you want to read straight though because they are so entertaining, but I still wanted to read these as soon as I had a spare second.

I read forever war 20 years ago and couldn't put it down. I thought about mentioning it, but it was 20 years ago. Lol.
Rudyjax
AG
Quote:

I literally felt both of these books were written for me.

Why aren't there more books like this??
schmendeler
AG
Not every book can be written for you!
Rudyjax
AG
Oooh oooh oooh. I thought of another.

The Rosie Project by Graem Simison.

It's hilarious.
Rudyjax
AG
schmendeler said:

Not every book can be written for you!

Well there should be more books I enjoy.
schmendeler
AG
If you liked The Martian, there's a good chance you'll like his other book, Artemis.

Additionally, give the "Three body problem" trilogy a try. I found it to be excellent. The author is Chinese, so it can seem a bit weird in style, but the story is so good you'll get over it. The books get better in my opinion as well.
Diggity
AG
Felt the same. Such fun books. Both were great audiobooks as well.

Glad I could resurrect this topic with my complaining!
Rudyjax
AG
schmendeler said:

DIf you liked The Martian, there's a good chance you'll like his other book, Artemis.

Additionally, give the "Three body problem" trilogy a try. I found it to be excellent. The author is Chinese, so it can seem a bit weird in style, but the story is so good you'll get over it. The books get better in my opinion as well.
Yep. Liked Artemis quite a bit. I've been reading long enough to know that if I like one book by an author, I may like additional books by them.

I'll check out 3 body problem. The
TheDoctor
AG
Misery by Stephen King is the very definition of a page turner for me.

The Shining too
Rudyjax
AG
They're usually not my cup of tea, but Scott Pratt wrote some very entertaining books in the Joe Dillard series. Very tragic ending for Scott as he recently passed in a scuba "accident." His wife had recently died after struggling with cancer for many years and he incorporated that story to his character. In a way, I am glad I didn't have to read about Joe Dillard's wife passing.
Rudyjax
AG
TheDoctor said:

Misery by Stephen King is the very definition of a page turner for me.

The Shining too
Yeah. Misery when it came out was quite the page turner.
Engine10
AG
If you're into mil sic fi, these three series cost me several extremely unproductive work days and I don't even care. Caught em on Audible with RC Bray (The Martian) and Luke Daniels narrating and have been completely hooked ever since.

Galaxys Edge: Legionnaire
Columbus Day: Expeditionary Force
The Ember War
Kyle98
AG
In high school, I read The Firm in one sitting. I was home sick with the flu or something, and didn't move from the couch in 10 hours.

This thread has given me ideas for my next readings, for sure.
hurleyag
AG
ccaggie05 said:

I'm pretty sure I finished The Da Vinci Code in one day back in college and remembered having a great time with it. Of course that book has gotten a ton of backlash since.

The last one I'll add is The Winds of War by Herman Wouk, which is my favorite book. It's quite long but I remember tearing through it every moment I could when I read it.
Dan Brown's books are always easy, quick reads. A lot of it has to do with short chapters. its easy to keep saying one more chapter when they are only a page or 2 long.
Aggies76
AG
Have you ever loved a book so much that you forced yourself to put it down so that you could enjoy it longer?
That would be Lonesome Dove for me. Back before the miniseries and the hype.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, like I read 'Origin' pretty quickly because I made a plot prediction pretty early on and wanted to see if it was true. I definitely wouldn't consider that a 'good' book, but it was entertaining.

I like to kind of balance out my reading so if I read something kind of dense (like I read Midnight in Chernobyl a while back) then I'll read something kind of silly like Origin or a YA novel or something.

I also blazed through the Expanse books. Those were all very entertaining reads as well. I'd put them in the category of 'hard to put down.' Just below the 'I have to finish this or I'm not going to sleep anyway' category like An Absolutely Remarkable Thing.
bobinator
AG
I've never done that, but I have gotten concerned with how little book I have left for how much story feels like it should be left. Not a problem on Kindle because I turned off all the things that show you where you are in the book, but when I was reading the last Red Rising book I couldn't help but thinking 'HOW IS THERE ONLY THIS MUCH LEFT?!' several times.
Tanya 93
jkag89 said:

He is going to pick up chicks. Smart boy.

He is my baby.

He is not old enough to pick up chicks.

He just wants to play the bad guy.
Apparently bad guys get chicks.
My son is so weird.
A. Solzhenitsyn
forgot about Misery. read that one straight through as well in high school.
A. Solzhenitsyn
Aggies76 said:

Have you ever loved a book so much that you forced yourself to put it down so that you could enjoy it longer?
That would be Lonesome Dove for me. Back before the miniseries and the hype.
I've read Lonesome Dove four times, and, while never reading it cover to cover in one sitting, i've been pretty close.

also Puzo's The Godfather and Jim Webb's Fields of Fire are two that I read either in one sitting or in just a couple.
Rudyjax
AG
So it was a 10 week wait for the ebook for Red Rising. I'm going on a cruise and looked for the hardback. Immeditelly available.

And what author quote is on the title? Scott Sigler. One of my favorite authors.

So it's his fault if I don't like it.
schmendeler
AG
I Am Mine said:

So it was a 10 week wait for the ebook for Red Rising. I'm going on a cruise and looked for the hardback. Immeditelly available.

And what author quote is on the title? Scott Sigler. One of my favorite authors.

10 week wait for the ebook? how is that possible?
Rudyjax
AG
schmendeler said:

I Am Mine said:

10 week wait for the ebook? how is that possible?
Library book. They have to buy each copy and you can't donate ebooks to librarys.
Azariah
AG
Whatever Peter F. Hamilton wrote last.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.