Last book you read that you just couldn't put down?

14,687 Views | 145 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Johnny Danger
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Standard SIAP but couldn't remember anything recent...

I picked up 'An Absolutely Remarkable Thing' by Hank Green last night and simply could not put it down. I don't know that I would even say it was that 'good' really in the sense that it didn't cause me to have some kind of existential crisis mid-book or anything, but I read the whole thing last night because I had to know how it ends.

Anyone out there have any other books like that? I can't remember the last time I picked up a book and was like 'I have to finish this. Now.' Probably the first time since the last Harry Potter book but that was as much about not wanting to come across any spoilers as it was how good the book itself was.
Murder Hornet
AG
Read Endurance; story of Shackleton's journey to Antarctica. Started and finished it in about 2 days on a weekend.
hurleyag
AG
Ready Player One is mine. I just get engulfed in the Oasis every time I pick up the book.
bobinator
AG
Yeah I plowed through Ready Player One also, I forgot about that one.
Hollabeck
Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky.
littlebitofhifi
AG
I did the same thing with An Absolutely Remarkably Thing. I can't say it was my favorite book of the year but I really enjoyed it and absolutely could not put it down. It was a 1-night read.

The other one for me recently was Old Man's War by John Scalzi. I may be late to the game but that one hooked me in so fast that books 2 & 3 were also finished within the week.
bangobango
AG
Probably Red Rising by Pierce Brown.
Diggity
AG
First one was good. They started to drag after that (for me at least)
annie88
AG
Couldn't put down might be pushing it a bit, but I really enjoyed

The Reporter Who Knew Too Much: The Mysterious Death of What's My Line TV Star and Media Icon Dorothy Kilgallen by Mark Shaw

Also, Roses by Leila Meacham
Raptor
AG
The Martian
11/22/63

And Jurassic Park
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

bobinator
AG
bangobango said:

Probably Red Rising by Pierce Brown.

I just read that one last week, starting the sequel tonight. I had to kind of build into it, I honestly didn't think it was all that good at first but then I got into it a second it went along.
MGS
Tiamat's Wrath
Diggity
AG
That book was so terrible. How on earth could you not put it down?

Maybe I'm just too old for the target demographic. Awful protagonist, **** dialogue, poor humor, thinly veiled political jabs, just bad.
Urban Ag
AG
If it's a literal "can't put down, can't stop reading"

A Storm of Swords

edit for BigJim

• Fiction
  • Epic Fantasy/War - mature audience
  • Third installment in the Game of Thrones book series, finishes out multiple big story arcs that were built up in the first two novels
  • probably my single favorite novel of my lifetime
Belton Ag
AG
The last book that I just couldn't put down was Michael Crichton's Sphere. It was was many years ago, but I bought that book at Barnes & Noble one afternoon and just couldn't stop reading it; I read the entire book in one sitting through the night and finished the next morning some time, late for classes at A&M.
A. Solzhenitsyn
Belton Ag said:

The last book that I just couldn't put down was Michael Crichton's Sphere. It was was many years ago, but I bought that book at Barnes & Noble one afternoon and just couldn't stop reading it; I read the entire book in one sitting through the night and finished the next morning some time, late for classes at A&M.
hahaha yep! I read it in high school in one night.

other straight through reads:

IT - Stephen King
Cujo - Stephen King
The Village - Bing West

I know there are others that will come to me, but those stick out due to the location or time of life that I read them.
h1ag
AG
I'm currently in one of these reading modes with The Shining.
A. Solzhenitsyn
Ah, yep. The Shining is another one that I read straight through.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
A little info on each would help - fiction? - subject matter - brief description !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Urban Ag
AG
hurleyag said:

Ready Player One is mine. I just get engulfed in the Oasis every time I pick up the book.
My ten year old has read it at least three times in the last year. He loves it. I may have to give it a try. Not my area of interest but good writing is good writing.
A. Solzhenitsyn
Urban Ag said:

hurleyag said:

My ten year old has read it at least three times in the last year. He loves it. I may have to give it a try. Not my area of interest but good writing is good writing.

It's fine, but I don't get the hype.
lunchbox
The Perfect Predator: A Scientist's Race to Save Her Husband from a Deadly Superbug: A Memoir (https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Predator-Scientists-Husband-Superbug/dp/0316418080/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3HOLKMXL4QQDL)

Picked this up from the library for a summer read and ended up devouring it within 2 days.
schmendeler
AG
death's end - book three of the three body problem trilogy.
jeffk
AG
The Martian and RPO are good ones, but I did audiobook with both of those.

The Passage trilogy was un-put-down-able for me. I know a lot of other people didn't like it, but I thought they were outstanding.
Rudyjax
AG
The Martian.

RPO before that.

I wish there were more books that hook me like that.

bobinator
AG
I actually had to take some breaks in the Three Body Trilogy to process what I just read, haha. Those books gave me weird dreams, but truly amazing storytelling.
rhutton125
AG
Storm of Swords, for me. I came home during a literal storm, picked up the book and realized later that I'd been sitting there for about 8 hours. Red Wedding and all that.
bangobango
AG
rhutton125 said:

Storm of Swords, for me. I came home during a literal storm, picked up the book and realized later that I'd been sitting there for about 8 hours. Red Wedding and all that.
I definitely put that book down. i threw it down, as a matter of fact, after reading the Red Wedding. Took me a little while to come back to it I was so pissed.
Serious Lee
usually takes me a month or two to finish a book. Took me 3 or 4 days to read "I hope they serve beer in hell"
schmendeler
AG
That definitely makes sense.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Walt Luddiger said:

usually takes me a month or two to finish a book. Took me 3 or 4 days to read "I hope they serve beer in hell"

I have a buddy that listens to his podcast. It's just Tucker giving dating advice. Which basically equates to Tucker roasting whomever decided to write in to a relative stranger for dating advice.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I am listening to all of The Expanse series right now on audio tape. I started about a month and a half ago and started Tiamat's Wrath (Book 8) on Sunday.
AustinAg2K
I can't remember the last book I couldn't put down. I've been in a rut lately, and I haven't found one of those kinds of books in a while. It seems like every book I read lately is a slog.

I do remember the first book I couldn't put down. It was Jurassic Park. I finished that is about a week, which is pretty quick for me. Before that, I only read the books they assigned us in school. Jurassic Park was the moment I realized books don't have to suck. Schools just suck at picking books for kids to read.
Tanya 93
Urban Ag said:

hurleyag said:

My ten year old loves it too
schmendeler
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Urban Ag said:

hurleyag said:

My ten year old loves it too

But instead of nostalgia it's like a pop culture history book for him.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.