Last book you read that you just couldn't put down?

14,688 Views | 145 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Johnny Danger
BQCadet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PatAg said:

Every book Sanderson writes is on this list for me
Yup
bobinator
AG
I Am Mine said:

Reading Red Rising on my vacation. Very good. I'm not sure why o stopped reading the first time.
This might be the first book series that I've read that gets better as it goes along. I just finished the newest one (also I didn't realize that this is an ongoing series when I started, I thought it was just a trilogy.)
Prime0882
AG
The latest was Astroball: The New Way to Win it All. Read it over the weekend on my way to and back from seeing my first game at Yankee Stadium (Yankees versus Astros). Very easy read and my reading it so quickly may have been influenced by my weekend's activities.

Before that:

11/22/63
The first and last Harry Potter books
The Dark Tower

Rudyjax
AG
bobinator said:

I Am Mine said:

Reading Red Rising on my vacation. Very good. I'm not sure why o stopped reading the first time.
This might be the first book series that I've read that gets better as it goes along. I just finished the newest one (also I didn't realize that this is an ongoing series when I started, I thought it was just a trilogy.)

I hate that. I should've waited.
Racer X
AG
The last one(s) was probably the first three in the Going Home series by A. American. Not terribly well-written but very compelling story.

I remember several sleepless nights reading Saga of the Seven Suns by Kevin Anderson.

Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn when I was a little kid. Then there was the Hardy Boys.

All-time hardest to put down(and most terrifying) was probably Blindness by Jose Saramago.
JayHowdy!
I just blew through all 19 books in the Joe Pickett Series by CJ Box. Not very deep intellectually, but a good, leisurely, fun read. Wonderful descriptions of Wyoming, and the Rockies.
Blanco Ag
AG
I finished all of the GoT books earlier this year. Those were hard to put down.

All time favorite page turners are James Clavell. Shogun, Taipan, Noble House.
Shakes the Clown
Smokedraw01
The Hate You Give
Altered Carbon
The Culture Code

Of course all were audiobooks.
schwabbin
AG
This thread has actually got me really reading books for the first time in my life. I read a few books in my grade school days like Into The Wild and Lord of the Flies but was mostly turned off of reading due to the assigned reading that was so boring. In the last month I've read The Martian, RPO and am now starting Red Rising. Keep the suggestions coming!
Tanya 93
The Mandibles by Lionel Shriver
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Listening to The Last Kingdom series on Audible right now. It's very good.
nai06
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

The Hate You Give
Altered Carbon
The Culture Code

Of course all were audiobooks.

Bahni Turpin narrates The Hate U Give and is outstanding. You might try Angie's book On the Come Up is you liked THUG. Same universe but different characters.
Punked Shank
AG
Do you guys have some recs for Alternate History books?
bobinator
AG
You mean like "what if Japan won World War II" kind of alternate history? Or also fiction novels set in historical context?

I'm currently reading Stephen Harrigan's "At the Gates of the Alamo" and it's the second kind where it's a fiction, but set in a real setting.

I'd be interested in some of the first kind also.
CostanzaWallet
AG
Bad Blood by John Carreyrou

Billion Dollar Whale by Tom Wright

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

Rocket Men by Robert Kurson
BEaggie08
AG
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
FancyKetchup14
AG
Dark Matter is a great one.

Currently reading "To Catch and Kill" by Ronan Farrow. It's a great read. Reads like a thriller, but based on true events (his investigation into Weinstein).
bobinator
AG
Dark Matter hurt my head, but what a read. I liked it better than Recursion.
gigemags-99
AG
Jaws and Ready Player One in one day...The Martian in one sitting
JM84
I really took a deep dive into the Vietnam war after watching the Ken Burns documentary on Netflix. "The Things They Carried" was good but "Matterhorn" by Karl Marlantes was absolutely incredible. It's 600+ pages so I couldn't finish it in one sitting but it wasn't for lack of trying.
Diggity
AG
CostanzaWallet said:

Bad Blood by John Carreyrou

Billion Dollar Whale by Tom Wright

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

Rocket Men by Robert Kurson

I read the first three of those and they were all excellent. You have great taste! Guess I know what I'm downloading next.
dc509
AG
Has anyone read any of the Morland Dynasty? I'm not planning to read the entire series, but the first few interest me. I've sort of gotten interested in historical fiction set in medieval Europe.
Joan Wilder
AG
Catch and Kill by Ronan Farrow.
wangus12
AG
JM84 said:

I really took a deep dive into the Vietnam war after watching the Ken Burns documentary on Netflix. "The Things They Carried" was good but "Matterhorn" by Karl Marlantes was absolutely incredible. It's 600+ pages so I couldn't finish it in one sitting but it wasn't for lack of trying.
I recommend Blood on the Risers by John Leppelman. Guy did 3 tours, with Airborne, the army riverboats and Rangers.
KALALL
AG
I'm currently reading The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt and I can't get enough of it. Fortunately there are two more volumes to go.
dc509
AG
kaleb_allison said:

I'm currently reading The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt and I can't get enough of it. Fortunately there are two more volumes to go.

That book showed me how little I've accomplished. Great read.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
bobinator said:

I Am Mine said:

That's bc the guy that writes it is only in his early 30s. Which means he probably wrote the manuscript for Red Rising in his early/mid 20s. Impressive.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
JM84 said:

So what was it about ?????????????????????????
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
BurnetAggie99
It's about Vietnam in 1969 and draws from the experiences of Marlantes, who commanded a Marine rifle platoon. Has a unflinching look at the hardships endured by the Marines who waged the war on behalf of America.

"Matterhorn" is the code name for a fire-support base located at Qung Tr Province, on the border between Laos and the Vietnamese DMZ. At the beginning of the novel, the Marines build the base, but later they are ordered to abandon it. The latter portions of the novel detail the struggles of Bravo Company to retake the base, which fell into enemy hands after it was abandoned.

This book based on the real events of Charlie Company, 1st Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division. The attack on "LZ Mack" Hill 484, and Hill 400 on March 1 through March 6 of 1969 with Lima Company 3rd Battalion 4th Marines in reserve.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Frozen Concoction said:

bobinator said:

I actually had to take some breaks in the Three Body Trilogy to process what I just read, haha. Those books gave me weird dreams, but truly amazing storytelling.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I had to put them aside several times so that I could catch up on sleep. Starting with the second book I would wake up in the middle of the night and remain awake for hours.

I am halfway through the first book, thanks to this thread. Really great so far. Boy, there sure are a lot of Wangs and Dongs in this book. I can't keep them straight. Once the Astros finish this thing off I will probably knock out the rest of the book in the next few days.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

It's about Vietnam in 1969 and draws from the experiences of Marlantes, who commanded a Marine rifle platoon. Has a unflinching look at the hardships endured by the Marines who waged the war on behalf of America.

"Matterhorn" is the code name for a fire-support base located at Qung Tr Province, on the border between Laos and the Vietnamese DMZ. At the beginning of the novel, the Marines build the base, but later they are ordered to abandon it. The latter portions of the novel detail the struggles of Bravo Company to retake the base, which fell into enemy hands after it was abandoned.

This book based on the real events of Charlie Company, 1st Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division. The attack on "LZ Mack" Hill 484, and Hill 400 on March 1 through March 6 of 1969 with Lima Company 3rd Battalion 4th Marines in reserve.
Thanks !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
bobinator
AG
It took me a while to keep track of the characters in the first book also.
metrag06
AG
Rocket Men currently $1.99 for Kindle version on Amazon if you haven't picked it up yet.

It's a great read. As a kid I never understood how crazy it was that they did all of Mercury/Gemini/Apollo in less than 10 years. Now we spend that long deciding what to call a particular program...
JM84
Just thought of another one. "The Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson. About the Chicago World's Fair, the architects and planners behind it, and a serial killer who took advantage of the hubbub and extra business and people who came into the city.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.