*** AD ASTRA *** (Brad Pitt, Tommy Lee Jones)

27,962 Views | 188 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sigh. The ridiculous filters on TA strike again. Replace the * with an O in the url. (Capital o)

Link
TCTTS
AG
Now THAT was the trailer I was expecting the first go-around. THAT was the trailer that finally gives off the Heart of Darkness / Apocalypse Now vibe being ascribed to this film. Holy hell, sign me up.
GoAgs92
AG
Just look on the moon, I saw his dad there at the end of "Space Cowboys"
Apache
AG
Of all the current franchises that I would have pegged to be on the moon, Hudson News would not have been one of them.... yet there they are with the biggest neon sign of them all.
TCTTS
AG
I took it to be the equivalent of a glorified airport, and I see Hudson News in just about every airport. Nice little touch...
mavsfan4ever
AG
This looks great. Most excited I've been for a movie in a while.
FancyKetchup14
AG
The music was fantastic. Loved it. But still trying to figure out if I'm gonna be into the plot.

Although having a shoot out on the moon will be insane to watch. Very Moonraker-esque.
Sex Panther
AG
Looks awesome. Gonna be very excited for this one.
annie88
AG
Looks fantastic!
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
annie88
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

TCTTS said:

(I've seen Armageddon so many times I may or may not still be able to recite this entire scene.)
Michael Bay gets a lot of flak for his movies, but Armageddon is one of those that I will watch repeatedly ... so much so that once not too long ago, I stopped on it while going through the channels and the wife said, oh hell no!
I too love that movie too. I don't have a wife so I can watch it anytime.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
TCTTS
AG
Even more new footage, on the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11...

TCTTS
AG
This continues to look so damn good. One month...

KidDoc
AG
Just saw the ad during the Miami vs Florida game. Looks great!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TCTTS
AG
Geriatric Punk
AG
Sutherlin then makes Pitt and Tommy Lee fight at the cornucopia.

Looks bad ass.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
TCTTS
AG
Malachi Constant
AG
Wow this looks awesome
TCTTS
AG
What's so cool about that clip is that, while watching it, it immediately hit me that it's a concept I'd never seen before. As in, I'd never seen a low gravity chase/gun fight with only space suits between our heroes and the vacuum of space. Which makes for an incredibly tense and visceral experience, even in just a two-minute clip, one that's heavily edited at that. It's like Mad Max in space or something. Just so cool.
ja86
AG
moonraker doesn't count for space combat? oh but there isn't a car chase....

Apache
AG
In the future, I think we'd have some lunar drones armed to the teeth to guard our heroes against space pirates. Or maybe equip the rover with some machine guns or lasers rather than rely on pistols.

Otherwise it's a cool visual.

TriAg2010
AG
Apache said:

In the future, I think we'd have some lunar drones armed to the teeth to guard our heroes against space pirates. Or maybe equip the rover with some machine guns or lasers rather than rely on pistols.

Otherwise it's a cool visual.

If they show a Predator drone on the Moon, I'm walking out of the theater.
Zemira
AG
TCTTS said:

New trailer tomorrow...

*drool*
The man is still hot. Men somehow manage to age so much more gracefully than women in Hollywood.

Anyhow the movie looks like it has potential. I like sci-fi and space and Brad Pitt so I will try to catch it in theaters.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Got my IMAX ticket for Thursday.
TCTTS
AG
Great poster.

Only, my local AMC - one of the company's flagship theaters that constantly hosts critic screenings - is showing f-ing Downton Abbey in Dolby Cinema this weekend instead. Seems like false advertising to me. Downton Abbey will no doubt sell more tickets this weekend, but NOTHING about that movie needs to be in Dolby Cinema, where as Ad Astra is like the perfect Dolby Cinema movie. And I don't know that I want to drive 45 minutes for true IMAX in Hollywood. Will probably just end up seeing Saturday night at my go-to Landmark theater.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I'm looking forward to Ad Astra......but I'm also a 47-year old child of the 80's, so I've already bought my ticket for Rambo: Last Blood on Thursday night.

The local Cinemark in B/CS is showing Rambo on their XD screen over Ad Astra, so I'm taking advantage of that.
snowdog90
I think Pitt is the clone of Robert Redford.
bobinator
AG
Premiere is going to have Ad Astra on the IMAX screen. I swear they coordinate ahead of time on these things.

I stand by my earlier prediction on this movie that it's a lot weirder than the previews make it seem.
Prosperdick
AG
snowdog90 said:

I think Pitt is the clone of Robert Redford.
I could run a river through that take...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Disclaimer: I love space movies.

That was pretty great. It's definitely a slow burn, but the visuals are just so great.

I can't quite put it up there with Interstellar, but it's just as good as First Man. (Maybe the score wasn't as good though.)

I did think there was one sequence which felt pretty out of place and unnecessary. (You'll know it when you see it.) And maybe a bit of the main inciding incident felt a bit hand-wavey and not quite explained enough, but overall very solid movie.

But be warned, this is not an action movie whatsoever. This is more 2001 than Gravity.
TCTTS

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.