*** AD ASTRA *** (Brad Pitt, Tommy Lee Jones)

27,957 Views | 188 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by oragator
Corporal Punishment
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah this thread has basically convinced me not to see it. Not a fan of Heart of Darkness nor Apocalypse Now. I was hoping this would be an original story. How disappointing.
Aggies76
AG
snowdog90 said:

I think Pitt is the clone of Robert Redford.
No kidding. Even down to the facial expressions. When people were saying this way back when A River Runs Through It came out, I didn't see it. It's much more obvious now that Pitt is older.
Aggies76
AG
This is well worth seeing on an IMAX screen.

For me it had a strangely spiritual vibe:

Even in this advanced generation of science and space exploration, when a crew member is killed, a prayer is said over him before his body is released into space. And the Lima Project's failure to find life in the far reaches of space seems to indicate that the human race is "it". WE are the creation.
Aggies76
AG
I agree with your comments as well.
Zemira
AG
I know they are two totally different movies, but since you saw them back to back you have a unique perspective. If you had to choose one movie to see which would you choose and why? (I'm not trying to get you to say you prefer one, but I'm trying to decide on one).
TennAg
This is the movie that's convinced me Pitt is/can be a good actor. Not to say I don't enjoy him because I always have, this just was an excellent performance...and no food crutches either.
Philip J Fry
AG
Very much just a meh movie.
DB Coach
AG
My wife and I saw it tonight and we both really enjoyed it. However, it's not one that I will want to watch again. I also thought it would have more adventure/action in space, but that was just the backdrop to the story.
TCTTS
AG
In short... good, not great, hated the voice over, but LOVED the ending.

Before I get into spoilers I'll say that, despite not being over the moon for it (no pun intended), I truly do not understand being bored by this movie. I guess I get wanting maybe a bit more action (though I don't know what that action would have been), but I was never even remotely bored by the story. I saw this with six other people and not one of them were bored either. A couple shoulder shrugs among my group in the lobby after, sure, but everyone I saw it with - and the theater itself, seemingly - was at least engaged through the every end. I don't mean this in a snarky way - I'm literally asking - but what were some of you were expecting? What about the trailers painted this as something more action-heavy than what we got? Because to me, it was fairly apparent from day one that this was ultimately a Brad Pitt solo mission, and I don't understand where more action beats could have even come from without this turning into Battlestar Galactica or Star Wars. I honestly thought James Gray (the director) milked all the action he possibly could from this.

In fact, that was one of my issues with it - that Grey obviously knew he needed to get Pitt from point A to B to C to D to E, and I actually loved the progression/planet-hopping of it all, but it *did* play a bit like he then came up with the obstacles between those points after the fact. It was kind of like, "Uhhh, let's go with... space pirates here! And then we'll have some, uhhh... space MONKEYS! Perfect!" I actually really enjoyed both of those scenarios quite a bit, and for what they were, thought they were executed extremely well. But I do admit that I wish the movie had more of an active antagonist, one constantly trying to thwart Pitt, rather than a series of somewhat random obstacles for him overcome.

All that said, I loved, loved, loved the way everything was wrapped up thematically. Pitt's line to his dad - "We're all we've got." - landed in just the right way for me. Every other space film of this ilk ultimately goes for some kind of hint of alien contact, if not contact itself. So it was incredibly refreshing to see that turned on its head here and the message simply being, in so many words, "The contact we seek is right in front of us." (and this is coming from someone obsessed with all things UFOs, who hopes/knows we're not alone).

But man, again... I just wish we could have gotten to that ending without all the heavy-handed, mind-numbing voice over. I hate voice over so, so much. It can be such a crutch. It rarely ever truly adds to the story, and if your story absolutely needs it, then you're telling your story wrong. Character should be defined through ACTION. Characters should NOT be defined by... telling us exactly what they're thinking/feeling over and over and over again. Rumor has it there was an initial cut without the voice over and I'd be so curious to see how that version played.

Ultimately, though, this was a beautiful movie with some truly cool sequences and a ton of evocative imagery/scenarios. I wish we had spent a little more time on Earth in the beginning - I needed to feel the peril of The Surge a bit more - I wish a couple of the obstacles had been a bit more organic, and the voice over nearly killed certain parts of it for me, but otherwise, this was a damn good effort and something I'll definitely watch again on cable.
Ag Since 83
AG
Agree with you entirely about overuse of voice over, but I don't think my problem with the movie is that it needed more action. It's that I needed what was in the movie to actually be relevant to the plot.

The sequence on the moon, for example, felt like it was there for the sake of having an action sequence rather than plot or character development. We needed to know more about the society the world takes place in for that sequence to feel earned. In Apocalypse Now the viewer knows enough about Vietnam to understand Coppola's depiction of it.
Ag Since 83
AG
Side note that could be perceived as a spoiler so I'll redact it: Before the movie came out my friend and I saw a commercial for it where they quote some critic who called it something to the effect of "an interstellar thriller" and my friend says "interstellar seems like a spoiler for a commercial that only shows you scenes on the Earth and moon." And I said "don't worry, the critic probably doesn't know what interstellar means anyway." I took great joy in being able to text my friend after the fact about me being right
Saxsoon
AG
I agree with you Tc. I honestly expected some eye rolling deus ex machina aliens showing up at the last second to save them or even getting a signal after 30 years right when Pitt shows up. I thought it was hauntingly beautiful when Pitt delivered that line because it forces the audience to consider the people around them. It was especially tragic because both men focused externally and failed in their relationships to others that caused so much destructive behavior in themselves.

] The message is stop with the bull**** and fix what's right in front of you. Also surprised at how spiritual the film was, was not expecting the prayer scene at all but I really appreciated. I don't need to see it again but I am glad I did.

Also the random subway shop on the moon. Theater was dead silent and then I busted out laughing.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
TCTTS
AG
In 100% agreement.
TCTTS
AG
Glad we're on the same page, but you might want to spoiler tag most of that.
Blanco Ag
AG
Saw this one today and came away with mixed thoughts. It was visually stunning and the score was fantastic, but a few too many plot holes to consider this a great one.

I've read a lot of harsh reviews that are hard to argue with but I still think it's a good movie to catch on the big screen.
jschroeder
The 83 tomatometer vs 44 audience is actually a pretty good description of the movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's a reverse Rambo.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I actually fell asleep during the movie. No idea how, but I kicked out about 30 minutes in, woke up just in time for some key action scenes, then back out. Oddly, I was enjoying it. Beautifully shot, subject matter right up my alley, but damn if it didn't just put me to sleep
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
wangus12
AG
Really liked it, but as someone else said, probably one I'll only watch once. The score and visuals were all fantastic. I had one major eye-roll that my wife and I shared launching yourself accurately across space, through rings and still ending up hitting your ship.

Otherwise, decent film
israeliag
AG
I watched this one yesterday, and cam out of it thinking it was good not great. But, the more I sit on it, reflect on it, and even read y'all's comments, the more I'm moving this to the great territory.

I avoided all trailers and previews, but did hear/read that it was more meditative than action, which helped me set into it a bit. If anything, at first I thought - sorta in line with TC - that there was too much action. The action scenes, while profoundly cool given their physics, felt out of place and unrelated to the character growth and plot. But, in the connection to Heart of Darkness, there's a descent in evolution of each existential threat to Pitt's character: first being a technological threat - this sort of apex of evolution with a space antenna (should have been a space-elevator, but minor quibble) failing; then space piracy as a step down in evolution to a more primitive near-anarchistic threat; then a literal primal threat from the space monkeys; to a mindless drone-like threat from the three crew members on the Aephus.

The father-son themes were particularly poignant to me, and even though they were transparent, there was more below the surface. This idea of trying to be a better version of your father without truly examining his fallacies, but then, when confronted with the truth of his errors, growing not just further than him, but beyond the boundaries of this image of your father. Although nearly impossible to portray a father/son conflict without Christian allegories, the stand in of that relationship to that of Christ and God, and the questions and theories it brought up, was even more touching to me - which was perhaps my biggest surprise of the movie as an agnostic Jew: maybe this is an obvious thinking in Christianity, maybe its heretical, but the concept of the son atoning not for the sins of his peers, but for the sins of his father really opened my eyes to how you can reconcile the god of the Old Testament with the god of the New Testament (not to mention that the father than sacrificed himself to allow for the son to go forth unburdened). Jones' character, like the OG god, was literally causing catastrophes on Earth because some people didn't follow his command, and it was his son which had to speak to him and fix the danger.

Agreed with others about the voice over (and the title card explaining Ad Astra) and that it felt more of a producer's hand rather than the director's original intent, but despite, and given all the layering of themes, this is a movie I want to watch again (at home) to try and unpack more (or see if all my thoughts are just bull****).
astros4545
AG
Was TLJ character actually trying to inflict damage to Earth?
israeliag
AG
I believe he said it was an accident that came out of him tamping down the rebellion of his last loyalists, but I'm not sure you could trust his account.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This was my biggest question walking out of the theater.

That and why he felt it so necessary to kill himself at the end.
TexAgs91
AG
My question about space movies in general is why do they ALWAYS have something that's normally routine like docking fail, requiring some daring crazy-ass stunt to get the job done? And no one ever can land on Mars without having to do some crazy ****
Red Planet gets the award for the most idiotic landing ever visualized. See here and here

My take on Ad Astra was: Not bad.

Apart from the above comments, [sp]the underwater Mars scene was just weird. And climbing up the beside the engine bell into a convenient hatch there at the bottom of the spacecraft to get inside?? I literally laughed out loud.

This movie was billed as the most realistic space travel movie ever. If you're going to make a realistic space movie, rule #1... no sound in space.

I did think the lunar visuals were excellent though. Right up to the part where the lunar rover spun off the edge into the crater and landed perfectly on all 4 wheels without flipping end over end and breaking into a million pieces.

And some picky stuff too like if the moon is almost full, all you'll see is at most a thin crescent Earth, but I won't go that far

They mentioned having to go outside the heliopause so the sun doesn't interfere with detection of any aliens. Did they get the distance required to go outside the heliopause wrong or did Project Lima fail to make it out that far? Because the distance required is 4 times the distance from the sun to Neptune.

As for the actual story, it was ok. I felt they could have drove the point of the movie (that there's no other life out there, or very little, and that we should treasure what we have back home) more. Not that I agree that there isn't any life out there, but that is the premise of the movie.[/sp]
TCTTS
AG
All fair/good points. To be honest, in contrast to the posters above, the movie has only fallen apart more for me since I first saw it, for some of the reasons you listed, among others.
astros4545
AG
They never revealed what Pitt's personal message to his Dad was met with

Really annoyed with how that scene ended with no reference anywhere
hunter2012
AG
wangus12 said:

Really liked it, but as someone else said, probably one I'll only watch once. The score and visuals were all fantastic. I had one major eye-roll that my wife and I shared launching yourself accurately across space, through rings and still ending up hitting your ship.

Otherwise, decent film
I thought this was one of the easier things to explain, he had personal thrusters so he only had to launch himself in the general vicinity of his ship, which he did. The movie isn't going to waste time having him jumping off course because it's already in the falling action of the story.

Also visuals alone made this worth seeing in Imax
hunter2012
AG
ATM1876 said:

I thought this was a good read.
Great article, with a movie like this I often can't process all the themes and meanings right away and the article helped alot with that. Thanks!
TennAg
Ag Since 83 said:

Agree with you entirely about overuse of voice over, but I don't think my problem with the movie is that it needed more action. It's that I needed what was in the movie to actually be relevant to the plot.

The sequence on the moon, for example, felt like it was there for the sake of having an action sequence rather than plot or character development. We needed to know more about the society the world takes place in for that sequence to feel earned. In Apocalypse Now the viewer knows enough about Vietnam to understand Coppola's depiction of it.

I think some of the action sequences were designed, in part, to show how unfazed Pitt's character is in all situations, all the while having a deep undercurrent of despair and loneliness. Same for the highlighting of his low pulse rate throughout.
bobinator
AG
I'm kinda torn on this movie also.

To me it almost didn't earn the weight it gave itself. It's like it wanted the cinematic gravitas of 2001, but it had all the narrative strength of The Cloverfield Paradox.

I kind of thought the messages of the movie was interesting. A lot has already been said in the micro (love the ones around you,) but I also thought it was an interesting twist in the macro. It's basically a sci-fi trope that aliens come or there's some big extinction level crisis and we all unite and then live happily ever after, but this movie is basically like 'nobody is coming, if we want to fix things, we need to fix them ourselves, we're on our own.'

Which is actually why I kind of took the religious stuff the other way. I haven't read the directors/writers intent or anything, but to me it sort of seemed like the point was that people throughout the movie keep putting their faith in some kind of higher power and there's not one. There is no bigger meaning to anything other than what we give it. You live, you die, you get killed by monkeys in outer space, whatever, nobody cares except us.
israeliag
AG
ATM1876 said:

They know the Surge originated near Neptune, but they need Roy to go to Mars to send a secure laser transmission in the hope that they get a response so that they can get a better idea of his location and go to Neptune to confront him. If they don't know exactly where he's at, how are they going to aim this laser? That didn't make much sense to me.
Lasers still spread over distances. It's not hard to presume that you could paint the whole planet of Neptune with a laser from Mars. Beam divergence aside, you could still sweep an area with the laser, too.

Quote:

I get that the time to travel in space has shortened due to technological advances, but it's almost too short. 19 days to get from the Moon to Mars and then 79 days from Mars to Neptune? Why not just go straight to Neptune if it doesn't take that long and look around for him? They said they sent drones out there and they were all lost around Neptune so there's obviously something going on there. The longer you wait the greater chance you have of another Surge.
If your drones disappeared, its fair to assume a crewed mission would, too. Communicating from Mars lets you make contact first and try not to die on the way, and also locate the true position of the ship.

What did bother me about the transmission scenes where he's recording the communication, is that he looks straight up through a sky light. The whole point of going to Mars to send the recording was that you had a bunker far enough underground not to be impacted by the Surge... Maybe deep enough somehow isn't all that deep out on Mars where there is no magnetic field to protect the surface?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.