The Witcher. New Netflix series coming........

42,129 Views | 323 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by kapon
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mazag08 said:

redline248 said:

Quote:

I thought the Yennifer stuff was hit or miss. I don't think this iteration of Yennifer is very accurate - at least so far. In the books and games, Yennifer is a boss *****. She's extremely competent, intuitive, always has a plan, is politically savvy. You see glimpses of that in the show but you also see her acting like a child at times, and not just when she's a hunchback in mage school.

I wasn't a fan of the encounter between her and the assassin wizard. Felt like she was completely overmatched that whole time, when her story suggested she was super powerful. Maybe she was supposed to be complacent bc she was bored with her role?
I figured the show was trying to set her up most the season as "lost" and without purpose or personal drive.. until the end where it seems she starts to figure herself out. No idea how that works in the books, but I think it worked here. The scene with her and getting the kids high was just another small stop on her endless purposeless journey until she started fighting for something more than herself
Bingo
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Toss a coooin to your wiiitcher, o valley of pleeenty

Can't get the song out of my head
DVC2010
AG
It looks like they're letting Cahir be the face of Nilfgaard, possibly to reduce the number of characters on screen, but also maybe (The Lady of the Lake spoiler): to help hide Emhyr's identity. I'm willing to see how it works out, but Cahir never really clicked with me in the books either.
G Martin 87
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Toss a coooin to your wiiitcher, o valley of pleeenty

Can't get the song out of my head
Was humming it this morning at work.

Here you go if you need a fix:

SACR
AG

Never read the books or played the games.

Loved the first season.

Like the fact that they mixed the timelines so you see the background on everything.
Madmarttigan
AG
Noice
PatAg
AG
Not really what I expected when I saw "metal cover". More of a 70s metal interpretation, he pretty much sang exactly like Jaskier. Still liked it though.
claym711
AG
Good lord this is bad. The acting is like CBS's 6pm slot with nudity.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Couldn't disagree more. But I'm into the books and video games. Maybe that would make you more appreciative.
G Martin 87
AG
claym711 said:

Nudity fixes a lot of problems.
mazag08
AG
claym711 said:

Most of us who enjoy these kinds of shows had to endure the Sci Fi channel for this genre of television series.

So it's nowhere close to bad when comparing.

It's also nowhere close to as bad as network television in general.
bonfarr
AG
I have tried to like this show but it just isn't my thing. Three episodes in and nothing has really happened. I switched to Thieves of the Wood and have the same feeling, boring and nothing happens.

I am hoping Narcos doesn't disappoint when it is back next month.
Duncan Idaho
claym711 said:

I wasnt going to watch it but now I might have to...
mazag08
AG
bonfarr said:

I have tried to like this show but it just isn't my thing. Three episodes in and nothing has really happened. I switched to Thieves of the Wood and have the same feeling, boring and nothing happens.

If it's not your thing then it's not your thing. But maybe try one more episode just to be sure? A lot of the people on this thread said it really found its footing toward the middle of the season.
KidDoc
AG
I thought Ep 3 was when it started moving. IMO if you don't like it by then it probably isn't for you.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bonfarr
AG
mazag08 said:

bonfarr said:

If it's not your thing then it's not your thing. But maybe try one more episode just to be sure? A lot of the people on this thread said it really found its footing toward the middle of the season.

Does the Witcher guy ever get excited and show some emotion or is that just his character? The show moves really slow and so far he hasn't shown much personality. I never read the books so I know nothing of the background story. It also seems like the story with the girl at the witch school has dragged on for two episodes with nothing really happening.
c-jags
KidDoc said:

I thought Ep 3 was when it started moving. IMO if you don't like it by then it probably isn't for you.
i wasn't ever out but my wife (rightfully so) was really bored with episode 2 and said she was done if it didn't get better. episode 3 and 4 start tying it together a good bit and she was back in.
wangus12
AG
bonfarr said:

mazag08 said:

bonfarr said:

Does the Witcher guy ever get excited and show some emotion or is that just his character? The show moves really slow and so far he hasn't shown much personality. I never read the books so I know nothing of the background story. It also seems like the story with the girl at the witch school has dragged on for two episodes with nothing really happening.
Witchers are technically described as being unable to have emotions because they're mutants. Geralt in the books and games does show emotion, but it is still incredibly muted.
redline248
AG
He gets pretty angry at Jaskier, twice.
M.C. Swag
AG
wangus12 said:

bonfarr said:

mazag08 said:

bonfarr said:

Witchers are technically described as being unable to have emotions because they're mutants. Geralt in the books and games does show emotion, but it is still incredibly muted.
ahh now i can see why they casted Cavill
mazag08
AG
I laughed.
bonfarr
AG
So does the sword have any significance other than for looks? The Witcher brings it out and shows it but doesn't really do anything with it. Is it the source of his magic or something?
KidDoc
AG
bonfarr said:

So does the sword have any significance other than for looks? The Witcher brings it out and shows it but doesn't really do anything with it. Is it the source of his magic or something?
No his magic is chaos channeling like the mages but on a much smaller level.

In the game & book he has a steel sword for humans/animals and a silver blade for monsters. If you look at game images he has two swords all the time not sure why they had him holding it in the sheathe so much in the show.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bonfarr
AG
Oh well I gave it one more episode but now I'm out, I just can't keep watching after porcupine man showed up. This show is not for me.
redline248
AG
I'm still curious if there is more significance to Renfri and Stegrobor's killing the moon born girls, or whatever. Just a vehicle for Geralt to become the butcher?
SACR
AG

Sometimes I wonder what people want out of shows. It's a sci-fi fantasy show based on a series of short stories, books, and video games. It's isn't going to be some Oscar-winning drama, it's just a fun series with lots of sword-fighting and nudity and just enough of a plot to keep it interesting and keep you watching.

It reminds me of a movie critic who whined about the lack of a serious plot in Godzilla with Matthew Broderick. I didn't watch that movie to learn some earth-shattering life lesson or experience an epiphany, I watched it to see Godzilla smash things and destroy stuff. Sometimes a movie or series is just meant to be a move or series.
SACR
AG
redline248 said:

I'm still curious if there is more significance to Renfri and Stegrobor's killing the moon born girls, or whatever. Just a vehicle for Geralt to become the butcher?
Isn't Ciri one of the moon born children?
chase128
AG
It's mostly there to show how the choices Geralt has to make aren't simply black and white, imo.

I think...
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
KidDoc said:

bonfarr said:

No his magic is chaos channeling like the mages but on a much smaller level.

In the game & book he has a steel sword for humans/animals and a silver blade for monsters. If you look at game images he has two swords all the time not sure why they had him holding it in the sheathe so much in the show.

I thought he wrapped and hid the silver sword in the books for the most part so people wouldn't realize he was carrying such a large piece of silver around with him.
DVC2010
AG
SACR said:

redline248 said:

She is not. She's far too young for that particular alleged curse.
SACR
AG
DVC2010 said:

SACR said:

redline248 said:

She is not. She's far too young for that particular alleged curse.

I thought the moon children were all born during a lunar eclipse, which happens every year?
DVC2010
AG
I'm pretty sure it was a solar eclipse in the short story, but in any case it was a particular eclipse that was supposed to be cursed.
The Debt
chase128 said:

It's mostly there to show how the choices Geralt has to make aren't simply black and white, imo.

I think...
those are his wardrobe choices though
G Martin 87
AG
If you really can't get enough, try some of these. The Eurobeat version is fun, but the bagpipe version will make you want to rip your ears off your head.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-covers-of-toss-a-coin-to-your-witcher/
rhutton125
AG
Getting a little tired of Toss A Coin. I was hoping for some more songs in the show. I guess there's the credits music but PLAY NEXT EPISODE

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.