The Witcher. New Netflix series coming........

42,125 Views | 323 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by kapon
Thunder18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Waltonloads08 said:

I've never read the books and don't play vidya, will I understand what's going on?

I need something with tits and guts that I can maybe convince my wife (who loved GOT) to watch.

Just go in knowing that it's an unreliable timeline, there is gore and tits galore
My Dad Earl
AG
Waltonloads08 said:

I've never read the books and don't play vidya, will I understand what's going on?

I need something with tits and guts that I can maybe convince my wife (who loved GOT) to watch.

I haven't read the books or played the video games, and I've thoroughly enjoyed it.
TAMUallen
AG
I doubt this series does well. I played witcher and the series is relatively boring other than the boobies
javajaws
AG
Watched the first three episodes and can't wait to watch the rest. I thought they've done an all around good job.

I think the use of nudity so far is appropriate for this kind of show and would be conspicuous if they had held back. Same with the gore.
bangobango
AG
Just watched episode one. Amazing, amazing swordplay/choreography. Really bad special effects.

I enjoyed it a lot, though.
bluefire579
AG
Liking what they've done with it 3 episodes in. Didn't expect them to start with any of the Last Wish, but it's cool to see (the first episode is the story I liked the most, a subversion of Snow White). Also interesting to see Yennifer developing into what she eventually becomes. As I recall, we only really see her as the refined sorceress in the books and games.
BenFiasco14
AG
5 mins into episode one like

CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
canadiaggie
AG
I was a little underwhelmed at first but man by the end of the season the show really finds a foothold. Can't wait for S2
Hogties
AG
Watched the first two episodes and I'm loving it. Read some of the books and played all the Witcher games (Witcher 3 is the GOAT).

The fight scenes are straight out of the game and fantastic. Cavil is great as Geralt. I'm loving the slow world building approach rather than a 5 minute exposition at the beginning a la LOTR.

Had to keep from binging the whole season last night. I want to make it last. And I suspect another replay of Witcher 3 is on tap for early 2020.
Trident 88
AG
canadiaggie said:

I was a little underwhelmed at first but man by the end of the season the show really finds a foothold. Can't wait for S2

Agreed!

I think this series is comparable to The Last Kingdom, in that it's pretty awesome overall, but there are some scenes sprinkled throughout where the writing, acting or special effects are kind of weak.

Also, Yennifer looks hot as hell sometimes, and other times I'm just not sure if she's worth getting worked up about. It might be because while she's hot in an exotic way, she looks a little too much like the chick from Glee. (Had to google her - Lea Michele).
MaroonStain
AG
I think this show is great! I also was going the route last night but caught myself and went to bed.

The dual timelines are hard to follow at first but adjustment happens. Cavill is nails as Geralt as stated. Yennifer is not afraid to show the girls and I agree she is a strong 8.5 on hotness.

I think I'm on E6...
"Thanks and Gig'em"
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Best part of the series so far is when Geralt realizes he just got a kid.
redline248
AG
I probably shouldn't have binged the whole thing last night. Cliffhanger and I'm sure it won't be back until next December.
YouBet
AG
Really enjoyed the first episode although I only understood about a quarter of the dialogue for some reason.
Hogties
AG
I had the same challenge understanding dialog, closed captions were very helpful
Madmarttigan
AG
Through about 4 episodes and hasn't been anymore really cool fighting and and I do wish they did a bit better that there are two (maybe 3 with yennifers initial training) different timelines in the show but I suppose they make it obvious eventually.

I feel like it is setting up the stage and been a little slower after the first episode but still can't wait to see where it is going. Much darker and gorier than I expected but I never played the games.

I'm only 33 but feel like I am a lol old who has to turn on CC in a lot of shows these days.
YouBet
AG
I'm going to tell myself it's poor sound editing and not my age. It's just really hard to hear enunciation of words with all the other noise going on and then add an accent on top of that. Recipe for cc turned on.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
YouBet said:

I'm going to tell myself it's poor sound editing and not my age. It's just really hard to hear enunciation of words with all the other noise going on and then add an accent on top of that. Recipe for cc turned on.

I think a lot of it is that they are using a lot of made up or foreign words that you aren't used to hearing. And they don't give a lot of exposition in explaining it.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Champ Bailey said:

YouBet said:

I think a lot of it is that they are using a lot of made up or foreign words that you aren't used to hearing. And they don't give a lot of exposition in explaining it.

I think there's some of that, but I do find that the sound mixing/volume consistency has been a problem imo in not only TV/cable but streaming stuff too. Though I'll also be the first to admit that I haven't always taken the best care of my ears when I should have worn some ear pro and that does play a part.
javajaws
AG
Also had similar problems with dialogue - especially in the first episode.

Solution: I watched it twice!
KidDoc
AG
Just starting it but my main disappointment is Geralt's medallion. That was such a key part of the game and lore and they couldn't make it look like the game one?

Silly I know but it bugs me.

You can literally buy one for $20 on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/QVXEF-Stainless-Witcher-Pendant-Necklace/dp/B07QKH5TDQ/ref=asc_df_B07QKH5TDQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=366306822930&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14967585574179748169&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027906&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-791630092699&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=81880594048&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=366306822930&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14967585574179748169&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027906&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-791630092699
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

5 mins into episode one like

This made me LOL well done haha.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
canadiaggie
AG
KidDoc said:

Just starting it but my main disappointment is Geralt's medallion. That was such a key part of the game and lore and they couldn't make it look like the game one?

https://www.amazon.com/QVXEF-Stainless-Witcher-Pendant-Necklace/dp/B07QKH5TDQ/ref=asc_df_B07QKH5TDQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=366306822930&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14967585574179748169&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027906&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-791630092699&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=81880594048&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=366306822930&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14967585574179748169&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027906&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-791630092699

Isn't the game strictly non-canon compared to the books?

I say this as someone who's only played the game
Thunder18
AG
canadiaggie said:

KidDoc said:

Isn't the game strictly non-canon compared to the books?

I say this as someone who's only played the game

Yes, the games are all non-canon and the medallion is a silly thing to be upset about (and I agree the game medallion looks way cooler)
Scotty Flamingo
I have to watch with CC too...but that's me on every show with accents lol
MaroonStain
AG
Champ Bailey said:

YouBet said:

The story is from Eastern Europe folklore as the base so many terms will be foreign to 'Mericans.
"Thanks and Gig'em"
canadiaggie
AG
MaroonStain said:

Champ Bailey said:

YouBet said:

The story is from Eastern Europe folklore as the base so many terms will be foreign to 'Mericans.

The story is Eastern European but a lot of the words seem Welsh or Dutch in origin to me. In particular Nilfgaardian names and titles
AustinScubaAg
AG
MaroonStain said:

I think this show is great! I also was going the route last night but caught myself and went to bed.

The dual timelines are hard to follow at first but adjustment happens. Cavill is nails as Geralt as stated. Yennifer is not afraid to show the girls and I agree she is a strong 8.5 on hotness.

I think I'm on E6...

So I am pretty sure it is 3 timelines. At least in the books all of Geralt's stories are before the fall of cintra.
Absolute
AG
Love the games, thought the books were hit and miss. Just finished the show today. I enjoyed it a lot.
bluefire579
AG
So, didn't realize it until I turned on subtitles, but they renamed Dandelion? Doesn't seem to have any character change or combine his character, so seems an odd choice to me.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Yeah I guess they worried we wouldn't take him seriously?
Belton Ag
AG
Really liking this but I'm having trouble keeping up with the names. Kings, queens, realms, it's all so got dam confusing. That's the problem with fantasy for me. The only way I was able to keep up with GOT is that they killed everyone off so I didn't have to remember them.
canadiaggie
AG
bluefire579 said:

So, didn't realize it until I turned on subtitles, but they renamed Dandelion? Doesn't seem to have any character change or combine his character, so seems an odd choice to me.

From what I understand they used his original Polish name, which happens to mean Dandelion
bluefire579
AG
canadiaggie said:

bluefire579 said:

From what I understand they used his original Polish name, which happens to mean Dandelion
Ah, yeah, it is the original name. Although digging deeper, also found this on one of the wither wikis:
Quote:

Dandelion's original Polish name, "Jaskier", literally means "Buttercup", but was changed in the English translation because "Buttercup" sounded too feminine in English.
Not a big deal either way, just slightly jarring after having it be Dandelion in both the books and games.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
bluefire579 said:

canadiaggie said:

bluefire579 said:

Ah, yeah, it is the original name. Although digging deeper, also found this on one of the wither wikis:
Quote:

Dandelion's original Polish name, "Jaskier", literally means "Buttercup", but was changed in the English translation because "Buttercup" sounded too feminine in English.
Not a big deal either way, just slightly jarring after having it be Dandelion in both the books and games.

I never realized that either.

The weirdest thing is I listened to the first three books on tape, and the reader would pronounce his name Dan-dilleon in the first two, and then back to the normal dandelion in the third. It was off putting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.