Barry Season 2

28,095 Views | 217 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Swarely
Max Power
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally got caught up, episode 5 was incredible. It felt like Barry was trapped in Very Bad Things. The whole sequence at the grocery store at the end was so, so good. While there was a ton of tension, there was also a Curb level of awkwardness. This show is so unique and good, I already like Hader but this show takes him up a notch.
Punked Shank
AG
I wish i discovered this show a year later at the end of what im assuming is an already greenlit third season. Caught up yesterday and im hooked.
Al Bula
AG
Boom. Now this episode was a return to greatness.
Bunk Moreland
Great episode. Funny watching Hank's forces easily dominate, and perfect ending.
Liquid Wrench
Bunk Moreland said:

Great episode. Funny watching Hank's forces easily dominate, and perfect ending.
Barry has trained them well!

I'm surprised it's taken this long for Barry to realize he needs to take care of Fuchs, but I guess that was the psychological hold or whatever that Fuchs had on him. Looking forward to seeing that hit go down.

Pretty strong episode for Sally too. She's great at just seamlessly walking through all the self-absorbed narcissistic nonsense.
Seven Costanza
AG
This show is great. I look forward to complaining about its writing in a few seasons.
oragator
Finale next week, and it's gonna get dark.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/bill-hader-barry-season-finale-preview/
DG-Ag
AG
Said it before, but I think this is the best show on TV right now.
LawHall88
AG
CFTXAG10
AG
Watched last night. Holy crap. You just gotta appreciate the spectacular writing in this show.

- Loved the school bus scene. NoHo Hank coming clean about his persona while Barry's troops put their training on full display.
- When Barry was practicing his pie scene it gave me flashbacks to Hader on SNL. Good times.
Robert C. Christian
AG
And he's 6'2!
OldArmy71
AG
The only thing darker than Fuches killing Gene would be some scenario in which BARRY has to kill Gene to protect himself, just as he did Janice.

So much of the show is built around Gene and the acting class, it's hard to imagine how they continue without him.
Robert C. Christian
AG
OldArmy71 said:

The only thing darker than Fuches killing Gene would be some scenario in which BARRY has to kill Gene to protect himself, just as he did Janice.

So much of the show is built around Gene and the acting class, it's hard to imagine how they continue without him.

They have started the out for getting rid of Gene. Since Barry has a real audition that apparently went well, there may not be use for the class now?
TCTTS
AG
I can see it going both ways. They way you just presented makes a ton of sense, but I can also see Gene sticking around for another season and finally starting to piece the clues together, which would make for great drama, as Barry's career skyrockets. I just don't see how they can get rid of Henry Winkler this soon, and there seems to be drama left there with the mentor finally turning on the student. But who knows, maybe they have other plans. So curious to find out...
TCTTS
AG
Also, just FYI for those not aware, that was, indeed, director Jay Roach in Barry's audition scene. Roach directed all the Austin Powers and Meet the Parents movies, along with tons of others...
OldArmy71
AG
Who? Do you mean Jayroach?
TCTTS
ac04
wow...he did not give a ****.
Sex Panther
AG
ac04 said:

wow...he did not give a ****.

That made me laugh so hard. Especially since I knew that was actually Jay Roach.
Trident 88
AG
TCTTS said:

Also, just FYI for those not aware, that was, indeed, director Jay Roach in Barry's audition scene. Roach directed all the Austin Powers and Meet the Parents movies, along with tons of others...
More importantly, he's married to the hot Bangle.

I'm sure everyone was already aware of this, but it bears repeating whenever an ugly guy outkicks his coverage so spectacularly.
redd38
AG
Trident 88 said:

TCTTS said:

I'm sure everyone was already aware of this, but it bears repeating whenever an ugly guy outkicks his coverage so spectacularly.

How tall is he?
Sex Panther
AG
redd38 said:

Trident 88 said:

TCTTS said:

How tall is he?

He's 6' 2"
Swarely
Just caught up.

All I can think about during this show is how many more times TCTTS laughs at this show than me. I am constantly seeing moments that I believe are directed solely at Hollywood types.
TCTTS
AG
The "Stay off the 405, man" line in episode six killed me more than anything so far. But yeah, agents suck for the most part, and I love it when the show dogs/mocks them. Ryan Murphy is kind of a *****, too - he's the creator of American Horror Story, Glee, Nip/Tuck, etc. - and I'm pretty sure "Aaron Ryan" was a send-up of him, which I liked. I'm not that plugged into the acting world, but that whole aspect is great, too, of course. I've also covertly assassinated a ton of people in Hollywood, so it's nice to see a show that finally gets right just how zany that whole world can be. So spot on.
oragator
This has been one of my hangups on this show. I get why the acting thing is there, just wish it was more for the plot and less for the inside baseball acting stuff.
Bunk Moreland
I do not share the inside baseball or joke theory at all.

Im sure theres fun nostalgic stuff for insiders but I don't feel like I'm missing out on any of the jokes, nods, etc.

And I've only been out to that area once in my life. I'm as far from knowing what goes on there as anyone.
TCTTS
AG
What do mean? I feel like they've done an amazing job of making the acting 95% about Barry having to face his issues, past, etc. It's also been a great way for him to express his thoughts/feelings without being too on-the-nose or obvious. The mocking of actors and acting classes and all that has only felt like a byproduct of the more important uses that whole aspect has served. At least in my opinion.
TCTTS
AG
Speaking of, I was talking to a friend of mine, who works in the industry, and he DID NOT like how much this latest episode veered into Entourage, inside-Hollywood territory with Jay Roach, the audition, the agents, etc. Personally, I loved it. But it was interesting to hear that perspective from someone who wants the show to stay more in the mobster/assassin territory, and not have Hollywood types start doing cameos as themselves.

What do you guys want? Like, if Barry lands this movie, and suddenly next season he's on set with other celebrities, Entourage style, would you guys like that or no? I think it could be fun to mix more of that world with more of the NoHo Hank world, but I also understand wanting the show to stay in its current lane, and remain on the far edges of Hollywood, in an obscure acting class, away from mocking Hollywood tropes all the time.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
As a child of the 70s and 80s, I never dreamed that the coolest guy on TV back then - the Fonz - would be such an integral part of 2 of my favorite shows in my 30s and 40s.

Bunk Moreland
I personally like it in moments like that which can be more or less one offs. Maybe if he's starring with someone in a show have 1 person cross over but not diving in and fully blending the worlds.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, agreed.

It'd also be a ton of fun to have a real-life actor, playing themselves, get caught up in a scenario like the one Barry went through in episode five, or something similar; to see Hollywood types have to come face to face with another assassin, etc. A lot of potential there, I think.
OldArmy71
AG
The Inside Hollywood stuff they're doing is so very obvious that to me, it in no way detracts from the show. The narcissism of Gene and Sally has been so over the top throughout the two seasons that the latest material with the agents and producers/directors seems right in line with it.

I'm too tired to try to make this point in depth, but surely the show is set in Hollywood among actors as a way of pointing out that in a world of empty, mindless, self-absorbed people, a murdering sociopath fits right in.

(Note: Gene, Sally, and Barry are all slowly evolving some humanity.)

And a further note: Was that not a remarkable monologue Sally delivered to Barry, revealing all the complicated feelings she's going through? And his perfect response!
TCTTS
AG
Very well said on all accounts. And yes, Sally's monologue was amazing (and hilarious).
oragator
My idea of when this show is doing well is when it uses his life as an assassin/criminal for irony (which is why Hank is such an awesome character, he embodies that, and why the stand alone episode was so good this year, it also took that to another level), Fuchs is there or provide the tension, and the acting as the offset device to help him express his emotions. If they want more true irony with the acting (the "he's 6-2" bit was funny) that's fine. Give him an ironic career rocket ride, that's fine, But these extended times where they are deconstructing how to create or run a scene, the whole "the scene must go on" Schlick with Winkler that's been done dozens of ways etc does little to advance the core of the show. There's a reason the highest rated and best received episode far and way was the stand alone, no acting scenes and pure irony around his job.
Jmo.
LawHall88
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, agreed.

It'd also be a ton of fun to have a real-life actor, playing themselves, get caught up in a scenario like the one Barry went through in episode five, or something similar; to see Hollywood types have to come face to face with another assassin, etc. A lot of potential there, I think.
Didn't the Sopranos do that with the Jon Favreau / Chris writes a screenplay about the mob story?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.