Barry Season 2

27,469 Views | 217 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Swarely
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
6 days to air also does a good job of showing him behind the scenes.
DG-Ag
AG
This is my favorite show right now. Writing, acting, everything is top notch.
LHIOB
AG
Txmoe said:

Good (but short) interview article with Anthony Carrigan (NoHo Hank). Talks about how he developed his character and how he went from dying in the first episode to becoming a series regular.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/barry-hbo-anthony-carrigan-interview-noho-hank

When Barry is over would anyone else love to see a Better Call saul with Hank? The story of him coming to America and becoming NoHo Hank?
Topher17
AG
Amazes me more people aren't talking about and watching this show. It is so well done from the writing, to the acting, to the filming. So damn good! NoHo Hank is easily one of the best tv characters in recent memory.
Sports-Ag
AG
Anthony Carrigan (NoHo Hank) needs to be nominated for an Emmy this year. Heck, he needs to be nominated for every tv awards this year.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
It's hard to be motivated for work sometimes.

'

Yoda
AG
Nice interview with NoHo Hank
Al Bula
AG
Well that was a wtf episode. Felt too zany... like too Pulp Fictiony... not sure I liked this one as much as the rest of the series.
tk for tu juan
To go from GoT to that opening fight scene was almost too much, that was brutal and awesome.
oragator
Best episode of the series, show finally went full in on what it is.
Bunk Moreland
****ing nuts.
Thunder18
AG
That was amazing and hilarious
Bunk Moreland
After the show conversation with em Berg mentions Hader wrote this episode and it's his solo album so to speak. Pretty impressive.
TCTTS
AG
That was amazing.

As a writer/director, Bill Hader no doubt has an incredible movie in him at some point, and tonight proved it.
Sports-Ag
AG
A crazy episode. Kept thinking if Barry would of done the job quick it would have ended.

The kid was funny.
Liquid Wrench
"I don't think she's...of this world..."
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
i Guess i'm showing my age or my lack of sophistication, but that episode made no sense to me.
TCTTS
AG
Genuinely asking... what about it didn't make sense to you? The plot, tone, or both?
investorAg83
AG
So many of the scenes were done in single extended takes. To do that with al of the fight scenes involved is incredible.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Genuinely asking... what about it didn't make sense to you? The plot, tone, or both?
the girl's abilities and actions
Barry not having a gun on him when he went into the house
Fuches also not being armed to where he could have just plugged the little girl and the episode is over
the two women walking on the street not noticing Barry's full beard and moustache of blood.
Fuches' going from overconfident a-hole to bumbling idiot who thinks super glue heals wounds
How the target was able to keep going along with suffering from a catastrophic injury and being shot
I don't see how it did anything to move the plot forward; the preview of the next episode has barry saying "I can't see you anymore" and fuches saying "not this again!"
No Cousineau
No NoHo Hank

For it's unlikely premise, Barry has at least been somewhat tethered to the real world through it's 1-1/2 seasons. Characters want to be liked and loved, they battle depressions, they regret mistakes, they try to convince themselves (and others) they are good people. Other than Barry not wanting to kill the guy, all of that stuff seemed to fly out the window in this episode.

I did laugh a lot, especially when Fuches says to the little girl "I don't want to sound weird, but would like like to get in a van with me and this other guy?"

Anyway, feel free to tell me all the subtle things I missed.
Bunk Moreland
the major takeaway from the after-the-show segment with Berg & Hader is that they've been wanting to do a stand alone episode purely around one of his hits going wrong. They had heard about his family who has a daughter that is great with stunts and I guess just kept the thought in their back pocket for a while.

They realized that the way they were writing the story, a stand-alone episode could work here. I think Hader just decided to take a huge swing at a very bizarre attempt at a hit and they were able to tie it into the storyline enough to close the chapter on the police closing in on Fuches/Barry while still having a really bizarre time.

I completely get that it's not for everyone but I really enjoyed it. Barry talking off-camera and then cutting to him dressed like he was was fantastic.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I thought it was a good way to wrap up last season's hanging plots with a bow. Now we can focus on what they have been setting up this season, Barry continuing to struggle with his identity and Hank seizing back control.

The little girl was unrealistic, but hilarious. Fuches speeding up and then hitting the brakes, and the girl still being on top was awesome.
Bunk Moreland
the "what the ****" in disbelief watching her run and leap over the hedges through the kitchen window was the scene of the episode.
Al Bula
AG
The episode would have worked much better had they framed it as Barry telling someone else about the encounter. The wire fu scene in the living room and the all fights with Ronnie were completely absurd, and this show has done a pretty good job of making absurd stuff seem more plausible.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I laughed my ass off last night.

The little girl was so awesome...I laughed the entire time she was on screen
tk for tu juan
Shife said:

The episode would have worked much better had they framed it as Barry telling someone else about the encounter. The wire fu scene in the living room and the all fights with Ronnie were completely absurd, and this show has done a pretty good job of making absurd stuff seem more plausible.

Like as a story to the acting class...
TCTTS
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

TCTTS said:

the girl's abilities and actions
Barry not having a gun on him when he went into the house
Fuches also not being armed to where he could have just plugged the little girl and the episode is over
the two women walking on the street not noticing Barry's full beard and moustache of blood.
Fuches' going from overconfident a-hole to bumbling idiot who thinks super glue heals wounds
How the target was able to keep going along with suffering from a catastrophic injury and being shot
I don't see how it did anything to move the plot forward; the preview of the next episode has barry saying "I can't see you anymore" and fuches saying "not this again!"
No Cousineau
No NoHo Hank

For it's unlikely premise, Barry has at least been somewhat tethered to the real world through it's 1-1/2 seasons. Characters want to be liked and loved, they battle depressions, they regret mistakes, they try to convince themselves (and others) they are good people. Other than Barry not wanting to kill the guy, all of that stuff seemed to fly out the window in this episode.

I did laugh a lot, especially when Fuches says to the little girl "I don't want to sound weird, but would like like to get in a van with me and this other guy?"

Anyway, feel free to tell me all the subtle things I missed.

Detective Loach is dead. The one "good" guy who knew Barry's secret has now been eliminated. To me, that was the entire functional point of the plot, and a pretty huge development for the forward progress of the show. Also, thematically, and character-wise, Barry now truly understands that Funches is basically the devil, and this episode seemed to go a long way toward establishing that they're likely going to be adversaries from here on out.

As for everything else, I chalk it up to a heightened reality, the same heightened reality the show has always existed in. The girl's abilities were no less believable to me than a hilarious, effeminate mobster/arms dealer who masterminds an operation from a secret warehouse in which he has a bedroom decorated to look like something out of West Elm. Or no less believable than all the ridiculousness that goes on in the acting class, with how Gene or any the elementary-school-brained students act.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The girl could defy the laws of physics.
Fonzie nailing a chick 30 years his junior is a lot more believable than that.
Liquid Wrench
It's not a documentary.

Don't ever watch Hanna.
ATM9000
AG
Shife said:

Ideas like this remind me why I'm glad professionals write shows like Barry and not internet message boards.

Respectfully, that would have completely ruined the comedy of the entire episode.
bigjag19
AG
Superglue has been used on wounds in the past and it will be used again in the future.
beanbean
Kept putting off starting this season, but binged the first 5 episodes tonight. This season is great! LMAO at that last episode. Especially when the little girl was clamped down on Fuchs cheek.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
bigjag19 said:

Superglue has been used on wounds in the past and it will be used again in the future.

Probably not supposed to be rubbed directly into the wound though.
bigjag19
AG
Champ Bailey said:

bigjag19 said:

Probably not supposed to be rubbed directly into the wound though.

Don't assume he knew what he was doing.
KidDoc
AG
I loved this episode. Wife and I were cracking up about the trophy room and the little girl. Great show!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.