*** Free Solo*** Climbing movie

26,143 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Garrelli 5000
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tabasco said:

hph6203 said:

Y'all should watch Dawn Wall. Not nearly as hair raising, but still a great doc.

Wow that looks really good! I might have to rent that ($3.99 everywhere; no free streaming)

This should now be on Netflix.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Plus she let him buy a fridge that was way too small for the spot in the kitchen.

Buy a bigger fridge! That would kill my OCD.
hph6203
AG
Well damn, my impatience cost me $10. Watched it a week ago and figured 10 vs 4 I could watch the extra content, which was interesting, but probably not worth $10.
Bunk Moreland
Something tells me **** like that were producers decisions and they actually have a fridge that fits the space in that place.
BSD
AG
hph6203 said:

Well damn, my impatience cost me $10. Watched it a week ago and figured 10 vs 4 I could watch the extra content, which was interesting, but probably not worth $10.

Win some, lose some.

But seriously. There was no way to know. Even Tommy seemed surprised about it going to Netflix (per Instagram).
91_Aggie
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Something tells me **** like that were producers decisions and they actually have a fridge that fits the space in that place.
It was feeling a little like a reality show that was being "scripted" by producers in all the scenes where it was just those two interacting with each other.
91_Aggie
AG
yukmonkey said:

Some of you have very negative views of this woman.

FIFY
AggieOO
you really hated this movie didn't you?
91_Aggie
AG
AggieOO said:

I liked it. Just had a couple of criticisms.

but it was somewhat obvious they made sure to "reality-ify" to attempt to make it more successful.. and the focus on the girlfriend and that relationship was a big part of that.
AggieOO
again, i think we watched a different movie.
jsdaltxag
91_Aggie said:

AggieOO said:

I liked it. Just had a couple of criticisms.

but it was somewhat obvious they made sure to "reality-ify" to attempt to make it more successful.. and the focus on the girlfriend and that relationship was a big part of that.
I had heard they had hours and hours of tape so to only pick out two hours may make it seem like just bits and pieces were put together
AggieOO
It was filmed over the course of 3 years.
hph6203
AG
And he met his girlfriend 3 years after his 60 minutes piece and National Geographic coverage, 2 years before this climb and 3 years before the documentary came out. Honnold wasn't and still isn't a household name. I talked about this doc at work and not a single other person had heard about it or him. The conversation they had where she asked if he'd ever quit for her probably occurred within a year or year and a half after they met and she lived in Washington for awhile before joining him in his van. It's an early relationship conversation trying to still understand one another and he's hard to understand.

He has money, but it's not an outrageous sum and it's not like he spends it lavishly. Dude eats macaroni and cheese regularly and still lives out of his van on occasion. She lived out of the same van as him. I don't care how rich or famous someone is most gold digging/fame seeking women aren't going to live in a van just to acquire that.
Bobcat06
AG
They Shall Not Grow Old was better
Tabasco
AG
I previously watched Free Solo (loved it), and just watched dawn wall. Loved them both. If you have seen neither, watch Dawn Wall then Free solo in that order. Me personally (ducks) I thought Dawn Wall was a better film story wise, but free solo blows you away with the risk.
bthotugigem05
AG
Bobcat06 said:

They Shall Not Grow Old was better

That's like comparing Green Book to the critically acclaimed 1996 action movie The Rock.
Bobcat06
AG
Both were documentaries with a theatrical release in 2018.

The worse won the Oscar for Best Documentary Feature.
The better wasn't eligible based on antiquated and arbitrary criteria.
BSD
AG
Tabasco said:

I previously watched Free Solo (loved it), and just watched dawn wall. Loved them both. If you have seen neither, watch Dawn Wall then Free solo in that order. Me personally (ducks) I thought Dawn Wall was a better film story wise, but free solo blows you away with the risk.

I agree with this.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Bobcat06 said:

Both were documentaries with a theatrical release in 2018.

The worse won the Oscar for Best Documentary Feature.
The better wasn't eligible based on antiquated and arbitrary criteria.

I've seen both and free solo blows They Shall Not Grow Old out of the water. I actually didn't even enjoy the latter. It was just a bunch of footage that most people had already seen but now it was in a somewhat color version. That was cool but doesn't make an amazing documentary when there really isn't much of a story to go along with it. Free Solo on the other hand was my favorite theater experience, documentary or not, in many years (could be the most enjoyable theater experience I've ever had). Free Solo would have still won the Oscar.

But that's just like my opinion man.
AggieOO
BSD said:

Tabasco said:

I agree with this.

Third. I thoroughly enjoyed both. What Alex did was far from easy, and was a million times more risky, but the climb the other two did was much more difficult.
Old School Brother
Stayed up way too late last night watching Meru. Seems like each one of those guys is fairly lucky to be alive at this point. Thought the movie was great.

Nice to hear that Dawn Wall is on Netflix, will watch it next. Watched the trailer, didn't realize that Tommy Caldwell was the same guy from the group of climbers held captive in Kurgyzstan.
Quad Dog
AG
We watched this the other night. My wife had the same reactions as the bearded camera man on the ground the whole time. She couldn't watch, even after I told her he was on stage to accept the Oscar.
jdgilberg
AG
Lots of great climbing movies out there, some with older Caldwell and Honnold stuff. Looks like they even put together a Honnold compilation to ride the wave.

https://senderfilms.com/
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

I hate every one of you on this thread for making me (ok enticing me) to watch this movie.

I can't explain it but despite knowing the outcome I know things like this are too much for me. I'm not scared of much really and I'm not even really scared of heights - I've never been afraid to go to any high viewing building or lookout or anything like that. I've done the Eiffel tower, Golden Gate bridge, St. Louis Arch and Empire State Building just fine.

But it's a very different thing with nothing below your feet effectively and I lose it. I freaked out at Capilano in Vancouver not on the bridge or even the cliffwalk because there is something under your feet on those. But I could not go out on this even a step......

Family wanted to take a group picture out there and I could not even get out there.

However I was fine on this and this..... go figure

Anyway.....I made it through the movie in about 2 hours with several pauses to calm myself. But it's now 1 hour later and my heart is still palpating. I had nearly the same reaction to Man on Wire but it wasn't as prolonged the actual stunt there.

That said - amazing amazing movie really. But he's insane. Ok not insane.

My son is Aspergers and within 2 minutes I said to my wife - Aspy - she said yep. The relationships, the lack of compassion really. His mom had it bad too. Usually inherited like that. Yes I have it to just not severe. the other thing which many people don't realize is the high functioning autistic is usually hyper focused on some particular skillset or "hobbie" and/or fanatical in preparation and detail to a mindblowing level. He is both.

When they showed the lego building it really got me - my son is now almost 24 and still builds huge detailed lego designs. the thing is he now builds them from memory he doesn't need the 600 page instruction booklet and he will tear them down and build them again just because. He will also talk about a certain design aspect used within a particular set and the only other places that piece is used in all of lego like everyone knows that kind of thing.

Anyway that's just to say I get that level of focus and commitment - even though it's a more serious endeavor it is the same underlying cause.

So anyway yes I'm glad I watched but I'll never watch it again. The stress on his climbing "friends" and the crew was really telling. With his lack of emotion that was needed.

The girlfriend was fine - trust me when I tell you that is an incredibly difficult relationship to be in. Kudos to her. She does not seem to be trying to change him which would not work anyway, but to allow him to open up to change or learn. That's different. She has incredible patience actually. Believe me after 24 years with my son.... it's a challenge and I never had a choice about being in the relationship. Cut her a lot of slack.

EDIT - forgot a few things.....

Some very predictable stuff throughout ranging from just his answers to things or his attitude - none of it surprised me.

Most notably when he bailed on the 1st attempt and they went to Vegas I said to my wife "he isn't quitting... he's getting rid of her." He didn't need or even want a house perhaps. But putting her in a house 7+ hours away was what allowed him to focus - and getting the cameras to back off. then she was there in the van the day before and he was evasive about his answers - but one notable thing about a lot of Aspy's they don't actually lie very well. She figured it out too and knew she had to go for him to do what he needed to.

I also said when he reached the top - his "celebration" is going to be very underwhelming. very happy but not over the top and no demonstrative actions. And it wasn't. He literally said he was "so delighted" a few times and just smiled big.

I also know he had no idea what would come after - he had never even thought beyond that for years. Not because of the possibility of death but because it served no purpose. He might have thought a day or two beyond it at most in terms of going home, seeing her, etc. but that's about it.

Counterpoint
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

I hate every one of you on this thread for making me (ok enticing me) to watch this movie.

I can't explain it but despite knowing the outcome I know things like this are too much for me. I'm not scared of much really and I'm not even really scared of heights - I've never been afraid to go to any high viewing building or lookout or anything like that. I've done the Eiffel tower, Golden Gate bridge, St. Louis Arch and Empire State Building just fine.

But it's a very different thing with nothing below your feet effectively and I lose it. I freaked out at Capilano in Vancouver not on the bridge or even the cliffwalk because there is something under your feet on those. But I could not go out on this even a step......

Family wanted to take a group picture out there and I could not even get out there.

However I was fine on this and this..... go figure

Anyway.....I made it through the movie in about 2 hours with several pauses to calm myself. But it's now 1 hour later and my heart is still palpating. I had nearly the same reaction to Man on Wire but it wasn't as prolonged the actual stunt there.

That said - amazing amazing movie really. But he's insane. Ok not insane.

My son is Aspergers and within 2 minutes I said to my wife - Aspy - she said yep. The relationships, the lack of compassion really. His mom had it bad too. Usually inherited like that. Yes I have it to just not severe. the other thing which many people don't realize is the high functioning autistic is usually hyper focused on some particular skillset or "hobbie" and/or fanatical in preparation and detail to a mindblowing level. He is both.

When they showed the lego building it really got me - my son is now almost 24 and still builds huge detailed lego designs. the thing is he now builds them from memory he doesn't need the 600 page instruction booklet and he will tear them down and build them again just because. He will also talk about a certain design aspect used within a particular set and the only other places that piece is used in all of lego like everyone knows that kind of thing.

Anyway that's just to say I get that level of focus and commitment - even though it's a more serious endeavor it is the same underlying cause.

So anyway yes I'm glad I watched but I'll never watch it again. The stress on his climbing "friends" and the crew was really telling. With his lack of emotion that was needed.

The girlfriend was fine - trust me when I tell you that is an incredibly difficult relationship to be in. Kudos to her. She does not seem to be trying to change him which would not work anyway, but to allow him to open up to change or learn. That's different. She has incredible patience actually. Believe me after 24 years with my son.... it's a challenge and I never had a choice about being in the relationship. Cut her a lot of slack.

TLDR. Just kidding! Actually thanks for that story. Very informative and good to hear it from someone who knows about that condition.
aTmAg
AG
I thought something was off about him too, but I didn't know what. I find it interesting that you think the mom had it too. What makes you think that?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
aTmAg said:

I thought something was off about him too, but I didn't know what. I find it interesting that you think the mom had it too. What makes you think that?

many things like mannerisms, etc. but the lack of overt expression of emotion toward her child in particular is a big red flag - it was referenced multiple times that there were never hugs growing up and that she never said the word love but instead instilled him with thing like 2nd isn't good enough and you must strive for perfection in everything. Not that there is anything wrong with that but the lack of affection combined with it gives a picture of her own emotional disconnect. She also apparently had no active interest in what he was doing - that's odd. And she appeared to have a shut in and loner type of existence. The father who passed was interesting sort but much more of an extrovert and traveler as they said - he may have been some other sort of issue like manic depressive (he was described as morose when not doing something).

very interesting combination either way - no wonder the marriage did not work out - but also you can see where nearly all of his behaviors come from (whether it is nature or nurture) the extreme strive for perfection, the loner attitude, but combined with a traveler and thrill seekers spirit.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Hard to know since his dad obviously wouldnt have been part of the movie wince he's passed. but they referenced him having Aspergers.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
yeah that was harder to tell since he was dead. But his described behavior was not very Asperger's like. imho. I mean certainly he is elements of both either way.
aglaohfour
AG
So we just got a new tv and this was the first thing we watched on it. The visuals are stunning, but I still wish I'd seen it in IMAX.

My pulse was racing like crazy throughout, especially at the end. Like a lot of you, I feel pretty certain that he's on the spectrum. The one thing I wish they'd gone into more was his physical training regimen. Surely climbing and hangboarding aren't the only things that he does?

As for the girlfriend, I'm surprised how many of you are being critical of her. She met him before he was famous, so didn't come off as a groupie to me. She seemed like she was trying to be supportive and respect his boundaries. It's not quite the same, but my husband has a very dangerous job and I go through periods where it is extremely difficult to not beg him to quit - and this is after 11 years of dealing with it. From my perspective, it appeared that she was doing a pretty good job of not distracting him and accepting the reality of being with someone like him.
oragator
Watched it today, really enjoyed it. I had seen a previous documentary on when he climbed half dome, he was actually in more trouble on that climb.
I am fascinated by guys like him because half of me loves climbing mountains, but in a safe hiking way, heights like he deals with terrify me. So I get the urge completely, but not the method or approach at all.
His personality is also the exact opposite of mine (and most people's I assume) which also makes him really interesting to follow. He had that great quote in the middle about not understanding people who want to be comfortable and cozy because nothing ever got accomplished that way.
Watching the GF try to figure out how to talk to him rationally and him emotionally was really interesting too. Ironic by the way, she's a life coach by profession.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
NoHo Hank
AG
Agoodlittleag04 said:

My pulse was racing like crazy throughout, especially at the end. Like a lot of you, I feel pretty certain that he's on the spectrum. The one thing I wish they'd gone into more was his physical training regimen. Surely climbing and hangboarding aren't the only things that he does?
Climbers don't really lift. While there are other things that some do, climbing constitutes a huge part of their training and there are pro climbers that only climb to train.
SbisaVictim95
AG

nm
aglaohfour
AG
john32f said:

Agoodlittleag04 said:

Climbers don't really lift. While there are other things that some do, climbing constitutes a huge part of their training and there are pro climbers that only climb to train.

Thanks for the insight. I just assumed because he's so thin, he must have some strict cardio regimen.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.