*** Free Solo*** Climbing movie

26,139 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Garrelli 5000
Boo Weekley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BowSowy said:

62strat said:

Counterpoint said:

62strat said:

Did they close el cap to other climbers while they did this? Seems like it would be a huge risk to have other climbers on there while he's doing it.
No, he actually passes other climbers while he's doing it. (One in a unicorn costume!)

So to me, this negates the whole philosophy of how this isn't 'risky' for him because he trained enough to where he simply knew he could do it, and wouldn't fall.

By having these other elements in play (other people), you have things outside of HIS control, like someone dropping something, someone falling and swinging by him, someone breaking off a small hold or kicking loose rocks that then fall down, someone heckling or distracting him, etc.

He was so confident that he trained enough and memorized the route/holds that he could do it without falling, claiming it's not as if he just didn't value his life, yet all of these things could happen since it's just open to the public, so clearly, a lot of risks remain.

I've watched several interviews of him in the last days, and he adamantly states that he only would attempt it once he felt he eliminated the risks (otherwise he would've just walked up done with with no preparation), but there are still lots of risks, and the consequence is of course death, yet he says of course he is afraid of falling and dying.

It doesn't quite add up in my opinion. If it were as he explains it, seems he would have made the effort to get everyone else off the mountain (or at least those who would be near his route). Then, combined with his preparation, he would have eliminated the risk of falling.

I felt like a big point of the documentary was about how he doesn't view things as risky when they inherently are. I mean hell, the opening scenes have him talking to media about how "low risk" free climbing is.

Yeah, there was way more risk than he talked about but I'm not sure why that's a sticking point for you. Anyone watching that doc knew there was a ton of risk (and they even showed him passing other climbers)
The way he casually talks about falling like it's an "oh well" type of thing definitely stood out to me. Said something along the lines of "I don't mind falling and dying, but I just wouldn't want people to have to witness it" if i remember correctly. He knows it's a very real risk, but he has just come to terms and doesn't seem to fear dying as much as the normal person does. Getting close to it seems to be his drug (adrenaline).

When he bailed on the first attempt the film crew almost seemed shocked...like "holy crap, this guy DOES fear death".
Liquid Wrench
Climbing documentaries that I've watched make me weirdly uncomfortable. I think there's something else besides "adrenaline junky" going on there.
Ag_07
AG
Watched it last night as well.

Incredibly nerve racking watching him climb. Even though you know he makes it I was on the edge of my seat. I'd be the guy filming down on the ground who couldn't watch.

I was also shocked it only took him 3.5 hours.
Boo Weekley
Bunk Moreland said:

Really liked it. Wish I had seen it in IMAX.

I did not find the gf annoying at all. She came off as very believable in her struggles with what her role is by his side and knowing she'll never truly understand how he feels about climbing.

I have no idea about how skillfull you have to be to climb El Capitan but it appeared that once he got past the karate kick move, he mentally knew he had it in the bag.
I agree...she was way more attractive than I anticipated as well. I kind of imagined his gf would be an ugly dirty and hairy granola chick TBH.

Wonder where she places on the crazy/hot matrix?
Boo Weekley
Ag_07 said:

Watched it last night as well.

Incredibly nerve racking watching him climb. Even though you know he makes it I was on the edge of my seat. I'd be the guy filming down on the ground who couldn't watch.

I was also shocked it only took him 3.5 hours.
Same here...he was in the zone and hauling ass. Truly incredible.
hph6203
AG
She seems kind of needy, but it's probably just because he's so emotionally distant. He may be on the spectrum, but it seems like it's somewhat related to his upbringing where his mom and dad were both weirdos that didn't show affection so he doesn't know how to live in that kind of world.
Big Al 1992
AG
Couple updates - he no longer lives in the van. Lives in a house in Las
Vegas for last couple years with same girlfriend.
The film talks about all their free solo friends that have died, but none of them died from free soloing - it was BASE jumping, regular climbing, or as he has said just losing focus on an easy climb.
Also think he said doesn't matter if he falls from 50 feet or 3000 feet, the result is the same. I guess it would be like swimming in 10 feet of water or 20000 feet deep water - if you get in trouble, the result is the same.
Phat32
AG
My understanding is that most climbers take several days to climb El Cap.

I liked the analogy of going for the gold medal, except if you don't get it...you die.
Boo Weekley
Social Media Influencer said:

Climbing documentaries that I've watched make me weirdly uncomfortable. I think there's something else besides "adrenaline junky" going on there.
You're right, may not be adrenaline, but he clearly had a depleted/non-active amygdala, so I think there is a physiological reason for his "insane" thrill seeking.

If you put him in Kansas or some place really flat and forced him to live there for a long time without climbing I would not be surprised if he ended up killing himself or taking to hard drugs.

he probably gets super depressed and has withdrawals when he can't climb for extended periods at a time.

Pretty interesting article I stumbled on and hope to read fully later on...

http://nautil.us/issue/39/sport/the-strange-brain-of-the-worlds-greatest-solo-climber
Boo Weekley
hph6203 said:

She seems kind of needy, but it's probably just because he's so emotionally distant. He may be on the spectrum, but it seems like it's somewhat related to his upbringing where his mom and dad were both weirdos that didn't show affection so he doesn't know how to live in that kind of world.
Yep, having to practice hugging when you're in your early 20's because that seems to be a popular act among other humans is pretty bizarre. I can't imagine growing up in a family that never hugged or said I love you.
91_Aggie
AG
nm
Old Tom Morris
1) Agree about him being on the spectrum. His dad was and he sure seems to be as well

2) the girlfriend was annoying, but i found myself not trying to be judgmental. I guess we all have a reason for being who we're with and get different things out of it. She seemed to be the groupie enjoying the celebrity, although i'm sure sincerely connected with him. And he's a really weird dude that spent his entire life never getting his carrot wet, then this hot girl makes a play for him. I just hope for both their sakes that she's not a factor in his taking a fatal fall
Counterpoint
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

I just hope for both their sakes that she's not a factor in his taking a fatal fall
She's already dropped him enough while she was belaying him!
BowSowy
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

1) Agree about him being on the spectrum. His dad was and he sure seems to be as well

2) the girlfriend was annoying, but i found myself not trying to be judgmental. I guess we all have a reason for being who we're with and get different things out of it. She seemed to be the groupie enjoying the celebrity, although i'm sure sincerely connected with him. And he's a really weird dude that spent his entire life never getting his carrot wet, then this hot girl makes a play for him. I just hope for both their sakes that she's not a factor in his taking a fatal fall
He talked about previous girlfriends before her - I doubt she was his first lay. And I disagree with finding her annoying, I think she was less needy than most women in a year+ relationship.
Wicked Good Ag
She seemed accepting of who he is and what he wants to do. I found her comment about kids to be exactly what I would expect regarding the future
ac04
the girlfriend was great. and hot.
Flashdiaz
AG
agree. She doesn't seem needy and is more accepting than I am. Having someone I love be that focused on such a dangerous activity is a non-starter. All you're doing is waiting for them to be gone. If he does survive, his body will get old and he won't be able to climb anymore like he used to. Then he'll be miserable because he can't do what he loves.
Phat32
AG
ac04 said:

the girlfriend was great. and hot.

Wood
91_Aggie
AG
she had no boobs at all though.
Flashdiaz
AG
it's better that way if she decides to free solo
Ag_07
AG
I thought she was smoking hot.

He WAY outkicked his coverage
bthotugigem05
AG
I feel like his personality comes out a lot more in videos like this:

91_Aggie
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I feel like his personality comes out a lot more in videos like this:

His personality in that clips is so different than the documentary.... I wonder if he is on meds in that video.
Counterpoint
AG
I think she really loves him too (not in a groupie type way). She was soooo scared he was going to die before the climb and soooo genuinely happy when she called him on top of El Cap.

AggieOO
Big Al 1992 said:

Couple updates - he no longer lives in the van. Lives in a house in Las
Vegas for last couple years with same girlfriend.
The film talks about all their free solo friends that have died, but none of them died from free soloing - it was BASE jumping, regular climbing, or as he has said just losing focus on an easy climb.
Also think he said doesn't matter if he falls from 50 feet or 3000 feet, the result is the same. I guess it would be like swimming in 10 feet of water or 20000 feet deep water - if you get in trouble, the result is the same.

So you listened to the podcasts too?
AggieOO
those of you who think the girlfriend is a "groupie," what makes you get that other than the fact that she met him at a book signing and left her number? She didn't even know who he was when she went to that bookstore. I have friends who are fairly successful touring musicians. I've seen actual groupie-type women. She is nothing like them.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Crazy to read y'all's characterizations/criticisms of the girlfriend. She was one of the best parts of the movie and from just a narrative standpoint, she was a perfect counterweight to Alex's motivations/rationale.
91_Aggie
AG
AggieOO said:

those of you who think the girlfriend is a "groupie," what makes you get that other than the fact that she met him at a book signing and left her number? She didn't even know who he was when she went to that bookstore. I have friends who are fairly successful touring musicians. I've seen actual groupie-type women. She is nothing like them.
Because she did not GET HIM it all.

She wanted him to change for her, and her comments to him on the night before his first attempt just were not helping him.
Plus the fact that she dropped him and could have broken his back.
He wasn't showing good judgment with her around.

She just didn't sound/appear sincere about anything except liking him because he was famous.

Post removed:
by user
AggieOO
I think we watched a different movie.
astros4545
AG
In regards to the GF

I don't see someone as good looking as her being with a dweeb like that guy

He's not that rich, and he definitely isn't funny

What the hell!!!! /jealous
hph6203
AG
Some of y'all don't understand what it is to care about someone.
91_Aggie
AG
hph6203 said:

Some of y'all don't understand what it is to care about someone's fame and money.

FIFY
91_Aggie
AG
His net worth is $3.5 million. Not bad for a guy that young and likely only to go up after this movie. Assuming he doesnt die
Phat32
AG
Some of you have very negative views of women.

She came off as very genuine to me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.