*** Free Solo*** Climbing movie

25,889 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Garrelli 5000
Latrobe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else looking forward to seeing this?

I was pretty disappointed at the lack of screenings in Texas (specifically Houston). Hopefully I won't have to wait too long to see it.

Trailer and info
aTmAg
AG
Screw that (the climbing, not the movie)
schmendeler
AG
i've been somewhat of a fan of his since i saw him on 60 minutes. this looks like it would be incredible on IMAX.
WestAustinAg
AG
I can't wait to see it. I think it will eventually come to Austin but it's not a given. Free climbing the face of El Capitan is one of humankinds great athletic achievements. Jimmy Chin and his wife put this together and it looks incredible.

The directors behind the death-defying documentary 'Free Solo' explain why they made the risky decision to film Alex Honnold's 3,000 foot climb up El Capitan without a rope
Latrobe
AG
Thinking about driving to Dallas on the 5th. Gonna hold out a little longer and hope that a local theater pops up
91poohah
AG
Can't wait to see this, and also disappointed with the lack of initial Texas showings. I've been assured by people w Natl Geographic and someone close to Alex that we will get it, just not finalized yet.

In May I was in Yosemite and watched Alex and Tommy Caldwell practicing their tandem speed climb of the Nose. It was insane. The speed they were doing their practice runs was like noting I had seen in climbing on a big wall. They eventually broke the speed record finishing the climb in under 2 hours.

I would also highly recommend The Dawn Wall, which features Caldwell and Kevin Jorgensen making the first solo ascent of the Dawn Wall on El Cap. Crazy footage, amazing climb, and great story. It was a one night only release a few weeks ago, but demand has lead to another showing on Oct 8th. Look it up and go see it if you are into anything climbing, mountaineering, or related...
mavsfan4ever
AG
Anyone seen it? Absolutely amazing! Was on the edge of my seat the entire time, even though I knew the outcome. Probably my favorite movie experience in the last couple of years.

I'd definitely recommend seeing it in theaters bc the views and shots are breathtaking.

I saw it at the Angelica in Dallas. If you find it in imax, it would probably be worth it.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Would like see this guy do the beast contest

Would be cool to see him destroy it

Guy is amazing hope he retires b4 he makes a mistake
jdgilberg
AG
Seeing this tonight, hope it's as good as the dawn wall that just came out!

Pretty cool to have climbing movies in the theaters more than once a year with the reel rock tour
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Nope
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
jdgilberg
AG
Wow, that was incredible!!

Here is a cool video promo shot with a 360deg camera so you can scroll around and look at any angle you want:

Teddy Perkins
AG
Houston residents, looks like it's coming this weekend.

Quote:

Houston, TX
October 19, 2018
AMC Houston 8

October 19, 2018
Edwards Houston Marq*E Stadium 23

October 19, 2018
Edwards Houston Greenway Grand Palace Stadium 24

October 19, 2018
AMC Willowbrook 24

October 19, 2018
AMC Studio 30

October 19, 2018
AMC Gulf Pointe 30
Sex Panther
AG
Saw it last night and thought it was amazing. Just incredible what humans are capable of. I found the psychological aspect of Alex's make up and relationships as intriguing as the climb itself.

Would definitely suggest seeing it on the big screen. And even though I knew the outcome, I don't think I've had that kind of anxiety in a theater ever. I cannot believe someone could do that.

I hate to say this, but I really expect this guy to die climbing eventually.
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
Sex Panther
AG
Also, just saw that Jimmy Chin's other movie - Meru, is available on Netflix

**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
caddy
For those interested, there is great interview with Alex Honnold on the Joe Rogan Podcast. Really fascinating, I can't imagine doing what they do.
Latrobe
AG
Wow! Just got back from a showing. This was an incredible movie. I don't want to over-sell it, but I really enjoyed myself.

Three aspects of the movie that made it so good:

1. They focused on his mental make up and actually dove into the "why". Why is he like that and what makes him do these crazy climbs. They looked at his family life, his social history, and even showed some in depth brain activity Analysis.

2. The girlfriend. She allowed the viewer to identify with her and "care" for Alex. Instead of being just some dude that we watched climb, he became the love of someone's life.....and made us dread the thought of him falling

3. The unreal physical achievement that we were able to witness. As a climber (and I use the term loosely when referring to myself), I was blown away at the skill and endurance Alex showed. Add on top of that the consequence of failure.........wow. Unreal.....impossible.....incredible.

I was with a non climber and he thought it was amazing as well.
Tabasco
AG
Any other showings in Houston?
dave99ag
AG
I'm assuming this will make it to Netflix at some point or at least on NatGeo? Agreed on Meru. The expedition films always fascinate me. Not to the extent to want to go do one, but I love the adventure they show.
Counterpoint
AG
It's in College Station through Halloween. I HIGHLY recommend it for climbers, and really for anyone who likes documentaries.

62strat
AG
Quote:

1. They focused on his mental make up and actually dove into the "why". Why is he like that and what makes him do these crazy climbs.

Attention??

Honestly, if no one ever knew about it, I bet he wouldn't do it.
schmendeler
AG
62strat said:

Quote:

1. They focused on his mental make up and actually dove into the "why". Why is he like that and what makes him do these crazy climbs.

Attention??

the guy was living out of a van and climbing long before people knew about him. I don't think he's doing it for the attention.
mavsfan4ever
AG
62strat said:

Quote:

Attention??

It's clear from the documentary that he does not do it for the attention. Sure, his ego is one reason he does the huge, nearly impossible climbs. But it's not for attention. And like the other person said, he was doing this for years on his own when no one knew about him.
watty
AG
Just found out this is showing 20 minutes from me, for the next three nights. I'm gonna have to make it happen. That preview looks amazing!
Tabasco
AG
62strat said:

Quote:

Attention??

Yeah, not attention. I saw the 60 minutes thing on him last year, and they showed some neural imaging scans (PET maybe?), and he does not have a normal fear response like the rest of us. I assume that is what is being referenced (could be wrong, have not seen film).
Counterpoint
AG
Definitely not for attention...he actually talks about it in the movie. Spoiler, sort of: He almost quits because he feels weird climbing in front of the cameras and other people.
Boo Weekley
Cannot wait to see this. My theory is that, among other things, these types of people have a hardcore addict personality. If you took this drug (adrenaline mostly) away from him and forced him to live somewhere flat and boring, he'd probably end up slowly killing himself with crystal meth or opiates. Same with guys like Laird Hamilton and other big wave surfers (not as amazing as what this guy does imo)...they talk about getting extremely depressed when there aren't gigantic waves and to keep functioning they go wind surfing or skating just to try to mimic, as best they can, the adrenaline or fix they would get doing what they love...living on the verge of dying.
dave99ag
AG
Boo Weekley said:

the adrenaline or fix they would get doing what they love...living on the verge of dying.
I've seen this movie before.

Sex Panther
AG
They didn't say it, but I felt they were trying to hint he was on the spectrum. They had the part where his mom said his father would've been diagnosed with Aspbergers if he were still alive. Of course Alex didn't agree with that, but I definitely got a vibe that he had some kind of mild autism. Regardless, he is definitely wired differently than normal people.
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
Counterpoint
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Cannot wait to see this. My theory is that, among other things, these types of people have a hardcore addict personality. If you took this drug (adrenaline mostly) away from him and forced him to live somewhere flat and boring, he'd probably end up slowly killing himself with crystal meth or opiates. Same with guys like Laird Hamilton and other big wave surfers (not as amazing as what this guy does imo)...they talk about getting extremely depressed when there aren't gigantic waves and to keep functioning they go wind surfing or skating just to try to mimic, as best they can, the adrenaline or fix they would get doing what they love...living on the verge of dying.
Good point. I wonder about what's going to happen to him now that he's done this thing he's been obsessed with for so long. What's left for him that is more challenging than what he just did?
AggieOO
Finally saw this last night. I think my palms were sweating the entire time. I thought Meru was intense, but felt like this one was even more so.

I use to do a fair amount of outdoor climbing, so I'm amazed by what Alex can do. I was never great, but watching what he can do with the tiniest hand or foothold is pretty amazing.

To add to some of the comments above, I guarantee he has an addictive personality. And the comment about being depressed and/or using drugs if he was stuck in something like Nebraska is highly likely. Maybe not if he'd grown up there, b/c its possible he'd have found a different outlet. But now, for sure. I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie, though I get most of my "rush" and satisfaction from ultra running these days. However, it wasn't that long ago that I was rock/ice climbing, sky diving, whitewater rafting, etc as well. In the ultra running world, I constantly run into former addicts. I ran a 100 miler a few weeks ago and ran a big chunk of the race with a girl who was running to celebrate 2 years sober.

If I can't run due to injury or maybe i'm taking a break from running as a "mental reset," I'll find ways to fill that void...usually with increased drinking and crappy food. Sometimes, it'll be a more healthy alternative like mountain/road biking. I also find that I'll tend to get a little depressed, especially if I'm coming off a big event.

As for what's next for Alex? There's something. For people with that kind of personality, there's always something. And its probably already been in the back of his mind for a while.
91poohah
AG
Was in YNP in 2017 a few days before this free solo climb. He and Tommy Caldwell were doing practice runs with full gear, marking everything with chalk and prepping. Alex is meticulous on his planning, much more so now then when he free soloed the Buttress in Zion or Half Dome in Yosemite. El Cap was his quest, and as the movie showed, he was "delighted" but also a bit meloncholy once conquered. Just back to the hanging board and what next?

In climbing, there is always bigger and harder and longer and tougher (or faster)... This spring he did follow up the free solo with the dual speed record on El Cap, doing the nose in under 2 hours with Tommy Caldwell. Also an amazing accomplishment, But more margin for error with a partner and gear, as opposed to no margin or error in free soloing. And they did it just a few days after two other very experienced climbers fell to their death on El Cap on Freeblast on Jun 2nd. These climbers had gear, but their "race" and rush pushed them too far most likely... And experienced climbers can get overconfident, and don't always set as much gear as they should. Even with ropes, one mistake can be your last...

I watched Alex and Tommy do practice runs as described earlier in this thread a few days before the speed record was broken in June. I've since listened to them describe the climb, and they have memorized every single hand and foot placement for all 3000 ft of that race up El Cap. Now that that accomplishment is done, there will be something else... Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgensen had the same "let down" even with their success on the Dawn Wall. You try something for 6-7 years, and the euphoria of accomplishing it seems overshadowed of the feeling of "What now?" afterwards...

These guys are wired differently for sure, but they will find other challenges. But gravity is just about undefeated from these heights. It may just be a matter of time until even the best prep doesn't overcome a small mistake or a bat or a loose rock... I hope I am wrong, cause watching elite climbers on El Cap or in Zion or wherever is incredible.
91poohah
AG
Really recommend this 10 minute vid by Chai and Jimmy about the struggles of filming Free Solo.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/opinion/100000006186870/what-if-he-falls.html?playlistId=100000004867895®ion=video-grid&version=video-grid-headline&contentCollection=Opinion&contentPlacement=0&module=recent-videos&action=click&pgType=Multimedia&eventName=video-grid-click
Tabasco
AG
91poohah said:

Really recommend this 10 minute vid by Chai and Jimmy about the struggles of filming Free Solo.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/opinion/100000006186870/what-if-he-falls.html?playlistId=100000004867895®ion=video-grid&version=video-grid-headline&contentCollection=Opinion&contentPlacement=0&module=recent-videos&action=click&pgType=Multimedia&eventName=video-grid-click
Thanks for that link. Damn!!!!!
AggieOO
91poohah said:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.