*** Free Solo*** Climbing movie

26,023 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Garrelli 5000
Counterpoint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agoodlittleag04 said:

john32f said:

Agoodlittleag04 said:

My pulse was racing like crazy throughout, especially at the end. Like a lot of you, I feel pretty certain that he's on the spectrum. The one thing I wish they'd gone into more was his physical training regimen. Surely climbing and hangboarding aren't the only things that he does?
Climbers don't really lift. While there are other things that some do, climbing constitutes a huge part of their training and there are pro climbers that only climb to train.

Thanks for the insight. I just assumed because he's so thin, he must have some strict cardio regimen.
Grip strength is one of the most important parts of climbing and hangboarding really targets that.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Agoodlittleag04 said:

john32f said:

Agoodlittleag04 said:

My pulse was racing like crazy throughout, especially at the end. Like a lot of you, I feel pretty certain that he's on the spectrum. The one thing I wish they'd gone into more was his physical training regimen. Surely climbing and hangboarding aren't the only things that he does?
Climbers don't really lift. While there are other things that some do, climbing constitutes a huge part of their training and there are pro climbers that only climb to train.

Thanks for the insight. I just assumed because he's so thin, he must have some strict cardio regimen.

It was mentioned (and I have also read some places) that he also hikes quite a bit. But that's pretty much it. I think the vegan diet combined with so much hiking (or bouldering), climbing and the hangboarding is his entire regimen.
Wicked Good Ag
Did anyone hear of the 13 year old Utah kid that died in a free solo fall of about 75 feet??

Sad to hear and no reason at that age for any parent to allow any "free solo" at any major height
91_Aggie
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Did anyone hear of the 13 year old Utah kid that died in a free solo fall of about 75 feet??

Sad to hear and no reason at that age for any parent to allow any "free solo" at any major height
What's the full story? Did the parents even know he was doing that?
It's one thing if they were they filming him for their Youtube channel so they could be internet famous, as opposed to him going out on his own and not telling them.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
91_Aggie said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

What's the full story? Did the parents even know he was doing that?

Well yes - in a way - and no direct indication he was influenced by the film. I have not seen that mentioned.

They had been hiking in some areas and apparently the 13 year old often wandered off on his own taking more challenging trails and routes. The mom stayed with the younger kids on the other route. He apparently climbed this face alone on his own (wasn't showing off for anyone) and apparently they think he fell while trying to descend back down the climb. I've seen them say it was a more difficult climb and not for the novice hikers.

https://www.wbal.com/article/378618/109/13-year-old-boy-falls-to-death-climbing-in-utah-state-park-may-have-been-trying-to-free-solo

https://www.foxnews.com/us/utah-officials-identify-boy-13-who-fell-to-death-while-free-climbing-in-state-park
Old School Brother
Agoodlittleag04 said:

john32f said:

Agoodlittleag04 said:

On his pod with Rogan he said he doesn't really do any specific strength training other than a pushup routine that he does every once in a while....and even that was only to balance out all the "pulling" training he does, like the hangboarding.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Finally watched the film
I've followed Alex for a long time from his early free solos and the 60 minutes special
Maybe it was the film but el cap (besides the obvious height difference) felt and looked harder to me than what he's done in the past. Some of that climbing was pretty freaking rad and I understand why the filmers were freaked the whole time because there was legit fear of death or slipping. Or maybe they just edited it that way

Also the girl has got to go, she's going to get him killed. I lived how she said at the end "it's finally over you don't have to do it anymore" or something along those lines which she doesn't understand that the climbing and his life comes first, he is just filling a void in his life with her which he doesn't necessarily need filled. It's just nice to have.

"You face your fear because your goal demands it"
BSD
AG
So partly based on this movie but mostly based on the fact that my son and I spend a lot of time at the national parks and scurry up rocks quite a bit, I am taking a rock climbing class tomorrow night at the rock wall gym next to my house. It will be interesting to see just how hard some of this stuff really is on a vertical wall!
dave99ag
AG
Just show up, put on your size 8 climbing shoes and tell 'em, "No ropes. I got this!"

Climbing is a blast and will give you a good workout. I haven't climbed in years, but had so much fun / focus when climbing at Enchanted Rock.
Counterpoint
AG
dave99ag said:

Just show up, put on your size 8 climbing shoes and tell 'em, "No ropes. I got this!"

Climbing is a blast and will give you a good workout. I haven't climbed in years, but had so much fun / focus when climbing at Enchanted Rock.
Or use a rope, but PRETEND you're free soloing. And if (when) you fall each time, be thankful you weren't free soloing.
BSD
AG
dave99ag said:

put on your size 8 climbing shoes

No pain, no gain!!!
Garrelli 5000
AG
Watched this on a flight last night. I found myself glad I wasn't watching on the big screen at home! The visuals combined w/the knowledge that at any moment he could fall gave me massive anxiety - which was awesome that a documentary could do that. What a fantastic documentary.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.