*** Free Solo*** Climbing movie

26,126 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Garrelli 5000
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I highly recommend you guys listen to the recent podcasts Alex has been on. Joe Rogan's and Lance Armstrong's. He talks about how some of the things he said in the movie make him cringe...it was shot over several years, and some of the comments were made before he'd even met his girlfriend. He also talks about how his relationship with her has already started affecting his decision making.
Counterpoint
AG
62strat said:

Did they close el cap to other climbers while they did this? Seems like it would be a huge risk to have other climbers on there while he's doing it.
No, he actually passes other climbers while he's doing it. (One in a unicorn costume!)
Quad Dog
AG
Got my DVR set for 3/3.
https://deadline.com/2019/02/free-solo-tv-premiere-date-national-geographic-channel-el-capitan-1202552820/
Wicked Good Ag
Wish they would have given him time to talk on stage
ac04
watched this last night, can't remember the last time i was so engrossed in a movie. especially the last half hour. A+
62strat
AG
Counterpoint said:

62strat said:

Did they close el cap to other climbers while they did this? Seems like it would be a huge risk to have other climbers on there while he's doing it.
No, he actually passes other climbers while he's doing it. (One in a unicorn costume!)

So to me, this negates the whole philosophy of how this isn't 'risky' for him because he trained enough to where he simply knew he could do it, and wouldn't fall.

By having these other elements in play (other people), you have things outside of HIS control, like someone dropping something, someone falling and swinging by him, someone breaking off a small hold or kicking loose rocks that then fall down, someone heckling or distracting him, etc.

He was so confident that he trained enough and memorized the route/holds that he could do it without falling, claiming it's not as if he just didn't value his life, yet all of these things could happen since it's just open to the public, so clearly, a lot of risks remain.

I've watched several interviews of him in the last days, and he adamantly states that he only would attempt it once he felt he eliminated the risks (otherwise he would've just walked up done with with no preparation), but there are still lots of risks, and the consequence is of course death, yet he says of course he is afraid of falling and dying.

It doesn't quite add up in my opinion. If it were as he explains it, seems he would have made the effort to get everyone else off the mountain (or at least those who would be near his route). Then, combined with his preparation, he would have eliminated the risk of falling.
Tabasco
AG
There is no way he can eliminate all risk. Minimize, yes. While watching, I wondered to myself what was the fall rate on the more difficult elements. For example, when he was practicing The Bolder Problem, they showed him fall once or twice. If he did it 100 times (with ropes), I wonder what his success/fail rate was. Could not have been 100%. Even if he narrows it to something like 90%, that would be pretty daunting with no ropes.
hph6203
AG
His options were to:
1) Climb it with no one filming or watching and not tell anyone he was doing it. And risk passing climbers on the way at non-peak hours.
2) Climb it with a limited film crew and only he knows and they know. And risk passing climbers on the way at non-peak hours.
3) Tell everyone he's making an attempt to free solo the wall, tell everyone the day that he's going to do it. Hope that people respect his space and don't show up to watch, don't show up to climb with him (because realistically he has no right to shut the wall down just for him) and hope that the park rangers actually allow him to free solo it in the first place.
4) Don't climb it at all.

He began climbing at 5:27AM before the sun came up and finished climbing at 9:21AM. This is a climb that apparently normally takes people several days to get up with ropes. I only noticed him pass one group of climbers (I watched it at home and was in and out of the room cleaning, so I may have missed others) and they were still seemingly asleep on a ledge when he came to them. They woke up when he went searching for a water bottle that he had previously stashed on the ledge and he was in such a zone that he didn't even recognize that the guy was wearing a pink unicorn costume.
chico
AG
Just outstanding film. Beyond the epic climbing scenes, getting into Alex's head, his (non) relationships, the girlfriend. Really, really outstanding.
And watch "Meru" if you want to see one of the filmmakers' (Jimmy Chin's) climbing capabilities. He's also quite good.
MW03
AG
Incredible. Incredible achievement. Incredible movie. Just incredible.
bthotugigem05
AG
The doc really didn't go too much into his training for El Cap. Honnold is the pinnacle of a "don't train until you can do it right, train until you can't do it wrong" mentality. The movie had a brief glimpse into it when he read out his training journal just before the climb started, but I think they skipped weeks/months of training, especially at Freeblast and the Boulder Problem.
Old School Brother
bthotugigem05 said:

The doc really didn't go too much into his training for El Cap. Honnold is the pinnacle of a "don't train until you can do it right, train until you can't do it wrong" mentality. The movie had a brief glimpse into it when he read out his training journal just before the climb started, but I think they skipped weeks/months of training, especially at Freeblast and the Boulder Problem.
I feel like this was illustrated by the fact that, when asked what he was going to do to celebrate, he said "i don't know, probably go back to the van and do some hang boarding."
Counterpoint
AG
Old School Brother said:

bthotugigem05 said:

he said "i don't know, probably go back to the van and do some hang boarding."
My wife and I say that after any big accomplishment now, as a dumb inside joke.
Latrobe
AG
Happy to see this come full circle with the award!
K Bo
AG
Looks like it's back at AMC Studio 30 (Dunvale) IMAX at either 6pm or 845pm
Mozart Paintings
AG
Going to see it in IMAX tonight with the family
Big Al 1992
AG
Sunday night it will be on Nat Geo. If you don't see it on IMAX, find the biggest TV and watch. Such a great experience.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I've got my DVR set to record. My uncle and I are planning a camping trip in Yosemite in September. El Capitan is amazing in person. Of course, the whole park is amazing in person.
Furlock Bones
AG
chico said:

Just outstanding film. Beyond the epic climbing scenes, getting into Alex's head, his (non) relationships, the girlfriend. Really, really outstanding.
And watch "Meru" if you want to see one of the filmmakers' (Jimmy Chin's) climbing capabilities. He's also quite good.

when i saw the trailer for this, i thought this feels like Meru. i wonder if that guy is involved. sure enough he walks on stage for the Oscar.

Meru is a great film. can't wait to watch this.
hph6203
AG
Y'all should watch Dawn Wall. Not nearly as hair raising, but still a great doc.
Tabasco
AG
hph6203 said:

Y'all should watch Dawn Wall. Not nearly as hair raising, but still a great doc.

Wow that looks really good! I might have to rent that ($3.99 everywhere; no free streaming)
hph6203
AG
It's extremely satisfying, it gives a bit of back story on Tommy Caldwell (who helps train Honnold in Free Solo), because he's basically been famous for climbing since the age of 15. He's basically king of El Capitan and there's something that trailer doesn't discuss that makes his climb all the more impressive.
Phat32
AG
Intentionally rented it on iTunes as I felt like they'd probably earn my $6. And boy did they.

Two amazing accomplishments:

- Soloing El Cap
- filming it

So many times, things like this go unnoticed by the public. This one got noticed in a big way.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Tabasco said:

hph6203 said:

Wow that looks really good! I might have to rent that ($3.99 everywhere; no free streaming)

Thanks for the recommendation. Definitely worth the 4 bucks on amazon. Very interesting.
cpscAG06
AG
Showing commerical free on National Geographic channel
RebAg13
Funky Winkerbean
AG
That was insane.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
CyclingAg82
AG
Troutslime said:

That was insane.
That was an Epic achievement!
91_Aggie
AG
Just watched it.
2 observations:
Girlfriend annoying
He is high on the aspergers spectrum

astros4545
AG
91_Aggie said:

Just watched it.
2 observations:
Girlfriend annoying
He is high on the aspergers spectrum

Girlfriend is a fame seeking groupie,
He definitely is on the spectrum

Died when they called him 'spock'
BowSowy
AG
62strat said:

Counterpoint said:

62strat said:

So to me, this negates the whole philosophy of how this isn't 'risky' for him because he trained enough to where he simply knew he could do it, and wouldn't fall.

By having these other elements in play (other people), you have things outside of HIS control, like someone dropping something, someone falling and swinging by him, someone breaking off a small hold or kicking loose rocks that then fall down, someone heckling or distracting him, etc.

He was so confident that he trained enough and memorized the route/holds that he could do it without falling, claiming it's not as if he just didn't value his life, yet all of these things could happen since it's just open to the public, so clearly, a lot of risks remain.

I've watched several interviews of him in the last days, and he adamantly states that he only would attempt it once he felt he eliminated the risks (otherwise he would've just walked up done with with no preparation), but there are still lots of risks, and the consequence is of course death, yet he says of course he is afraid of falling and dying.

It doesn't quite add up in my opinion. If it were as he explains it, seems he would have made the effort to get everyone else off the mountain (or at least those who would be near his route). Then, combined with his preparation, he would have eliminated the risk of falling.

I felt like a big point of the documentary was about how he doesn't view things as risky when they inherently are. I mean hell, the opening scenes have him talking to media about how "low risk" free climbing is.

Yeah, there was way more risk than he talked about but I'm not sure why that's a sticking point for you. Anyone watching that doc knew there was a ton of risk (and they even showed him passing other climbers)
easttexasaggie04
AG
The conversation he had with his girlfriend before the climb was pretty brutal. For sure not telling what she wanted to hear like most of us would do. haha
Boo Weekley
62strat said:

Counterpoint said:

62strat said:

IMO, this is a faulty premise to begin with. He still fails sometimes on his practice attempts. But he has done it enough to where he successfully completes a certain % that makes him feel comfortable.

It is risky AF. Even as prepared as he is...and that is pretty evident to him and everyone around him. Riskier than big wave surfing imo. I could be wrong, but I'd love to compare the per capita death and injury rates of the pros in the two sports. They were talking about knowing (at least casually) around 40 people who have dies climbing. Could any professional mega wave surfer even come close to saying the same?

Sorry, not trying to get on a tangent, I am just blown away by how incredibly dangerous what he did was and I guess I always thought of big wave surfers as the most insane adrenaline junkies.

Bunk Moreland
Really liked it. Wish I had seen it in IMAX.

I did not find the gf annoying at all. She came off as very believable in her struggles with what her role is by his side and knowing she'll never truly understand how he feels about climbing.

I have no idea about how skillfull you have to be to climb El Capitan but it appeared that once he got past the karate kick move, he mentally knew he had it in the bag.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.