*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

753,776 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
vwbug
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can you ask him how many takes it took for him to say "Look ma" or maybe his line was "Sheriff Langston come quick" in Silverado?

I think that was him right?
Gigem314
AG
Brennus said:

So how many of you guys are going to br upset if Reys parents are someone or if Kylo comes to the light, or even gray side? I hope for at least one of these things. If not the "Skywalker Story" kind of ended badly.
I definitely believe Rey's parents are "somebody". I think Kylo lied to her, just as he lied about Rey being the one who killed Snoke. And then there's the scene in TFA with Luke's light saber where you can hear Obi Wan speaking to her. There has to be more to it. Not sure if Kylo will move to the light. TLJ pretty much positioned him as the leader of the dark side...even further than Vader got.

But who knows what JJ has up his sleeve.

I know a lot of people hated TLJ, but I'm pretty confident this one is going to be a nice bookend.

Love that Lando is back! And I'm intrigued by using unreleased footage of Leia from the TFA instead of recasting or CGI. If anyone can pull it off, it's JJ.
AliasMan02
AG
Gigem314 said:

Brennus said:

So how many of you guys are going to br upset if Reys parents are someone or if Kylo comes to the light, or even gray side? I hope for at least one of these things. If not the "Skywalker Story" kind of ended badly.
I definitely believe Rey's parents are "somebody".

Guys, you have got to stop doing this to yourselves. Rey's parents being "nobody" is CENTRAL to her character. JJ has confirmed that this has ALWAYS been the case. Daisy said from ages ago that her parents' identities we're OBVIOUS and being nobodys is the only obvious answer.

Hold out hope if you want, but you're really doing yourself a disservice. And, you'll inevitably be mad all over again.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. The "nobody" message is literally the entire theme of TLJ. It's why the movie ends on broom boy. They're NOT going to reverse that.
Belton Ag
AG
No problem with Rey being a "nobody." I hated how they set it up in TFA.
AgMarauder04
AG
The big set up in TFA for her parents to be nobody kinda annoyed me.

I just don't want a redemption story for Kylo. Kill him, capture him, whatever. Don't redeem him.
TCTTS
AG
What if he finally does something good in the end but still dies in the process, ala Vader?
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

What if he finally does something good in the end but still dies in the process, ala Vader?
I hope they don't do that.

That would make the conflict he went through in TLJ pointless since he had multiple issues then (not blowing up bridge, killing Snoke instead of Rey) and STILL went full evil at the end.

Let him stay full evil and become even more powerful in the end. Make him an epic ass hole!
jokershady
AG
I still think/hope any deaths in this last film will be either R2 or R2 & BB8 sacrificing themselves to do something to save the Resistence.

Done right that could emotional and powerful AF
Belton Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm not sure anything he could do would redeem him after he killed Han Solo.

And presumably if Leia dies as we've speculated in this thread in an attack by the First Order, he will have been behind that as well.

But something to do with Leia could be the only angle I can think of in a redemption story.
Ag Since 83
AG
He killed Han Solo

**** him
JCRiley09
AG
Is there enough time for Rey and force ghosts et al to train additional force users for a final showdown with the Kylo and the knights of ren and first order? This could involve a time jump of course between episodes
The Collective
AG
I bet JJ uses the time travel trick from Rebels. The gnashing of teeth will be quite strong
Malachi Constant
AG
I feel like TLJ made episode IX nearly impossible to pull off.

It's suppsed to be the closing of this trilogy, but also the closing of the trilogy of trilogies. I see too many things up in the air to coherently bring it home but I'll give JJ the benefit of the doubt.

I think the main problem is this film HAS to close. It can't be more "mystery box" stuff. This is the end.
TCTTS
AG
That's part of what makes this so interesting. Abrams has never been in a situation where he's forced to definitively end something. I'm anxious to see what he can do when he can't rely on mystery box BS. He might crash and burn but he also might find a gear he or we didn't know he had.
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

That's part of what makes this so interesting. Abrams has never been in a situation where he's forced to definitively end something. I'm anxious to see what he can do when he can't rely on mystery box BS. He might crash and burn but he also might find a gear he or we didn't know he had.
The way I look at this is, could Spielberg do it? Yes. Then Abrams can, too.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
JCRiley09 said:

Is there enough time for Rey and force ghosts et al to train additional force users for a final showdown with the Kylo and the knights of ren and first order? This could involve a time jump of course between episodes
John Boyega has grown his hair out and bulked up, so it's likely there is a time jump. That will be nice after TLJ's Time Jump of 45 seconds.
Flashdiaz
AG
At the end, the kids were re-enacting Luke and Kylo's battle which implies some time has already passed in order for the legend to be heard by stable kids in a far planet.

That is unless Poe was on Facebook live or something.
G Martin 87
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

???

Does that mean there are face dancers?
I hope we get to see planet Ix, too.
Hagen95
AG
Page 3?
bobinator
AG
After TLJ I'm going to try and temper my expectations for this thing, but I don't know how successful I'll be by the time next December rolls around.
bobinator
AG
I think there's still a lot of wiggle room for the ending not really being a definitive end for anyone except for Kylo Ren (and Leia obviously.)
bearamedic99
AG
Flashdiaz said:

At the end, the kids were re-enacting Luke and Kylo's battle which implies some time has already passed in order for the legend to be heard by stable kids in a far planet.

I've only seen the movie once but it did not appear obvious that the kids were reenacting Luke and Kylo's fight
Rex Racer
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Flashdiaz said:

I've only seen the movie once but it did not appear obvious that the kids were reenacting Luke and Kylo's fight
It was. Clearly.
TCTTS
AG
WHEAT CONFIRMED FOR EPISODE IX!!!

jackie childs
TCTTS said:

Exactly. The "nobody" message is literally the entire theme of TLJ. It's why the movie ends on broom boy. They're NOT going to reverse that.
kennedy has said before that the episodes (meaning the three trilogies) are the story of the skywalker family. if that's true and if we're to have a "happy ending", then i gotta think that either: (a) rey is ultimately a skywalker, or (b) kylo gets redeemed in some fashion.

though i suppose disney could go the other way and make the legacy of they skywalkers that they were kinda a-holes

Flashdiaz
AG
jackie childs said:

TCTTS said:

kennedy has said before that the episodes (meaning the three trilogies) are the story of the skywalker family. if that's true and if we're to have a "happy ending", then i gotta think that either: (a) rey is ultimately a skywalker, or (b) kylo gets redeemed in some fashion.

though i suppose disney could go the other way and make the legacy of they skywalkers that they were kinda a-holes

Leia was supposed to be focal point of ep9 and thus it would have been about the Skywalkers. Unless Kylo has a baby with Rey or one of the Knights of Ren, it's time for the Skywalkers to end.
AgMarauder04
AG
Are you saying Leia would have had another kid if she survived?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I wonder if we'll get some kind of Gollum at the end off Lord of the Rings-type ending. Where, instead of Kylo being redeemed, his hate and greed lead to his undoing in an act that kills him and saves the rebellion.

Also similar to the undoing of the nazi's at the end of Last Crusade.

Thanks and gig'em
BenFiasco14
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Gigem314 said:

Brennus said:

I definitely believe Rey's parents are "somebody".

Guys, you have got to stop doing this to yourselves. Rey's parents being "nobody" is CENTRAL to her character. JJ has confirmed that this has ALWAYS been the case. Daisy said from ages ago that her parents' identities we're OBVIOUS and being nobodys is the only obvious answer.

Hold out hope if you want, but you're really doing yourself a disservice. And, you'll inevitably be mad all over again.

Bookmarked
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
jackie childs
Flashdiaz said:

jackie childs said:

TCTTS said:

Leia was supposed to be focal point of ep9 and thus it would have been about the Skywalkers. Unless Kylo has a baby with Rey or one of the Knights of Ren, it's time for the Skywalkers to end.
i'm fine with the skywalkers ending. in fact, i think that's the logical conclusion to the story. the question becomes whether it's on a high note or not.
TCTTS
AG
jackie childs said:

TCTTS said:

But why does Rey being a Skywalker = a "happy ending"? I've never understood this.

Again, the direction that Abrams and Johnson have decided to take this trilogy thematically is to say that your bloodline, where/how you're born, etc. doesn't matter. ANYONE can be great. The whole point is to say that you don't have to be a Skywalker to bring balance to the Force or save the universe. And as much as I've disliked TFA and TLJ narratively, I agree with that sentiment thematically. That IS the happy ending. That a nobody from Jakku or stable boy from Canto Bight can bring balance or save the universe. Why do so many people not find that satisfactory/happy? Rey being a Skywalker is not only incredibly boring to me, it would just reinforce all that tired, "chosen one"/birthright/bloodline/midichlorian bullsh*t.
AgMarauder04
AG
Hell, can the Skywalker story be more emphatically done by having everyone DEAD at the end?
Belton Ag
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Hell, can the Skywalker story be more emphatically done by having everyone DEAD at the end?
Thanos shows up and snaps his fingers?
AliasMan02
AG
jackie childs said:

TCTTS said:

I kinda think the opposite. If this is the end of the saga, then it needs to be the end of the Skywalkers, which rules out Rey having new parentage (which was ruled out already).

Luke helping to restore balance, through his pupil Rey, could end things well for the saga.
First Page Last Page
Page 3 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.