*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

758,780 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
twilly said:

TLJ Sucks

30 seconds
I love it more every time i watch it.
Belton Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

Abrams and Ridley have both straight up said it's being addressed again. I can't imagine them readdressing it, only to come to the same conclusion.
That could mean anything though. A HUGE part of the aftermath of TFA was trying to figure out Rey's lineage, and in order to give it the treatment it deserves, I think it needs significant screen time. TLJ focused a ton of time only for it to be "nothing," so I'd imagine they'd need to devote at least as much time for it to be "something."

Kudos to them if they pull it off, but if it turns out to be essentially "by the way, Han is your dad and Qi'ra's your mom" I think that would suck big time.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I'm not saying this your theory, Belton Ag, but I can't fathom how people could think Qui'ra is Rey's mom.
Belton Ag
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I'm not saying this your theory, Belton Ag, but I can't fathom how people could think Qui'ra is Rey's mom.
It's not, and I agree with you.

Was just using that as an example.
bobinator
AG
wait how did we decide that time travel is going to be involved? I've been gone a few days.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's a theory posted by Red Letter Media that seemingly everyone has bought into.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
If time travel is allowed, just go back and edit the HTML code in the clones' programming to have Order 66 be "Tell your commanding Jedi general how handsome/pretty they look today." Endless problems solved.
Flashdiaz
AG
I don't think it's going to be like End Game or Back to the Future travel where they'll be able to manipulate the past.

It's most likely going to be force visions of the past.
The Collective
AG
Time travel theories were discussed a few months back if I'm not mistaken, I think even before Endgame.
TCTTS
AG
They were, headed up by me.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Grandmother made more sense to me. As in Rey's mom was born pre-ANH. But I don't think the timeline works for it any more.

But Qi'ra feels like a dangling plot thread now.

I am not feeling time travel. I just want RoS to be entertaining.
TCTTS
AG
I think this is where I've landed on Rey's parentage... she's not going to be a Skywalker, Solo, or Kenobi. But her parents aren't going to be "filthy junk traders" either. I think they're still going to be "nobodies" - i.e. average people with no important blood lineage, etc - but will be revealed to have done something noble or significant somehow. I have no idea what, and I know that doesn't quite square with leaving-their-daughter-orphaned-on-Jakku, but I think Abrams & co are going explain their way around that. It's either that scenario, or some kind of clone/Force-created scenario we discussed a while back. I'd say like 75/25 at this point, respectively. Either way, they're not going to say "junk traders" in one movie and something like "Luke Skywalker's daughter" in the next. I think they're going to find a happy medium, where they technically honor what Kylo said in TLJ, but get around it on a technicality somehow.

Aggie_Journalist
AG
I'm curious, why are you backing off the clone theory? That one still makes all the sense in the world to me. Nobody parents. Vision of a hall of repeating mirrors. Her first line to BB8: "Classified? Yeah, me too. Big secret." Etc. It's a theory that actually makes her journey through the new trilogy make sense as something that was planned from the beginning.
Thanks and gig'em
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I don't know. I'm back and forth on everything with this movie. One day I'm convinced she's a clone, the next I'm thinking there's no way they'd do that, one day I'm thinking there's definitely time travel, the next I'm thinking there's no way they'd do that. Ask me tomorrow and I'll probably have a different opinion.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Haha. Fair enough!
Thanks and gig'em
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Clone Rey would be great if it wasn't a 100% ripoff of Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy.

I'd pay as much money as I could afford to see them do those books animated. Some fan did the first chapter of the first book on YouTube recently - interplay between Rukh, Pelleaon, and Thrawn on the Chimera, and it was fantastic.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Eh, it wouldn't really be a ripoff of the thrawn trilogy if it's used in a totally different way. That's like saying any movie with time travel is a rip-off of back to the future, or if they ever show a space pirate it's a ripoff of The Princess Bride.

If the climax of the movie has a Luke skywalker clone emerge to fight our heroes, then yeah, that would be a ripoff of the Thrawn trilogy.

Totally agree that seeing an animated version of the Thrawn Trilogy would be awesome someday. I think it could actually still fit in this continuity, couldn't it?
Thanks and gig'em
fig96
AG
Sith Troopers introduced at Comicon:
https://www.mpaa.org/2019/07/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalkers-sith-trooper-introduced-at-sdcc/
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
C@LAg said:

was Snoke even Sith?
That makes no sense, unless it is just something Kylo creates for funsies.
Or if it is tied to a secret org that ties into the Palpatine story line.

My assumption is it ties into Palpatine rather than First Order
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I'm of the opinion that Kylo and Hux are having some extreme co-habitation problems atop the First Order, but with Hux the career military man, Kylo doesn't believe he can eliminate Hux without major blowback. That leads Kylo to embrace the Sith doctrines despite his plea to Rey in TLJ and bring back the concept of Palpy's red-robed Imperial Guards, but with his own twist as them being the equivalent to Vader's 501st - loyal specifically to him, elite warriors, and fashion icons in their red Sith Armor.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
They are junk traders from a "certain point of view." That could easily describe say someone that flys around in the fastest hunk o junk in the galaxy.
PatAg
AG
Villains never lie in stories.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

Eh, it wouldn't really be a ripoff of the thrawn trilogy if it's used in a totally different way. That's like saying any movie with time travel is a rip-off of back to the future, or if they ever show a space pirate it's a ripoff of The Princess Bride.

If the climax of the movie has a Luke skywalker clone emerge to fight our heroes, then yeah, that would be a ripoff of the Thrawn trilogy.

Totally agree that seeing an animated version of the Thrawn Trilogy would be awesome someday. I think it could actually still fit in this continuity, couldn't it?
I guess I meant if Rey is a clone of Luke from his hand lost during ESB.
redline248
AG
You do know what a clone is, right?
jokershady
AG
redline248 said:

well....seeing how all the storm troopers in the OT are technically still supposed to be clones from AOTC and ROTS but for some reason are all different heights....I'd say this is plausible at best
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Most of the stormtroopers are enlisted guys. The clones are all aging twice as fast as a normal human. So they are around 20 at the time of the Battle of Geonosis and around 60 by ANH.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
redline248 said:

Sorry, sampling his DNA to create another being.
AliasMan02
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Most of the stormtroopers are enlisted guys. The clones are all aging twice as fast as a normal human. So they are around 20 at the time of the Battle of Geonosis and around 60 by ANH.

That's retcon, sorta. Until 1994ish, Lucas considered all Stormtroopers to be clones. That was the original idea.

Difference is those clones weren't necessarily the Galactic Republic clones that we now know, because that backstory wasn't written. Presumably the Emperor was continually churning out new clones to field his elite troopers.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
AliasMan02 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

That's retcon, sorta. Until 1994ish, Lucas considered all Stormtroopers to be clones. That was the original idea.

Difference is those clones weren't necessarily the Galactic Republic clones that we now know, because that backstory wasn't written. Presumably the Emperor was continually churning out new clones to field his elite troopers.
Link ?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The extremely awesome Charles Soule just announced he's doing a 4-part comic called The Rise of Kylo Ren starting in December.

AliasMan02
AG
Most recently, Pablo has talked about it, but he scrubs his Twitter regularly so I can't find the tweet. The 1995 Power of the Force revival action figures card also referred to it, but not explicitly/definitely.

That's not something that ever was explicitly stated in the movies or anything. It's just what Lucas intended until he changes his mind as the prequels started to be developed, according to people who would know.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Most recently, Pablo has talked about it, but he scrubs his Twitter regularly so I can't find the tweet. The 1995 Power of the Force revival action figures card also referred to it, but not explicitly/definitely.

That's not something that ever was explicitly stated in the movies or anything. It's just what Lucas intended until he changes his mind as the prequels started to be developed, according to people who would know.
Gues I'll just have to take your word for it. It's the opposite of everything I've ever heard.
redline248
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

AliasMan02 said:

Gues I'll just have to take your word for it. It's the opposite of everything I've ever heard.

All I know is by the time the Thrawn trilogy was written, the empire wasn't using clones. The books made a point to describe how weird they felt in the force when he had to fight some actual clones.
First Page Last Page
Page 86 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.