*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

749,043 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seems unfair to hold Terrio accountable for the DC movies. It sounds like the final products of each weren't even remotely in line with what he originally wrote. Those movies were obviously/famously mangled from script to screen.

That, and the guy has won an Oscar.
Render
AG

[Yes that is over the line and yes you got a ban for it. -Staff]
Render
AG
TC, did you notice Mike and Rich say that SW is a limited franchise, and was not built for longevity? "It was a fairy tale. They told the story. It was done 40 years ago." Not to beat a dead horse, but I said that EXACT same thing months ago and you very much disagreed with me. (Although tbf I was being a dick at the time). Just saying. I got Mike and Rich on my side, now lol.
Malachi Constant
AG
Endgame was "Time Heist" so I guess IX will be "Force Heist."

Rey and Luke can travel through time visiting with with force users and getting their special abilities in the form of light saber crystals.

Then they will combine all the crystals together to create a new lightsaber. It could be called the "Infinity Saber".
Sex Panther
AG
I don't follow this thread religiously, just pop in here and there...

Are y'all telling me they are going to do time travel??? Oh man Star Wars...
TCTTS
AG
Purely conjecture on the part of the RedLetterMedia guy, but he does make an interesting case. That said, he's not for it or anything. He mocks the idea as much as anyone. It's basically a "This franchise kind of sucks now. So sure, why not?" attitude that many seem to share.
TCTTS
AG
Render said:

TC, did you notice Mike and Rich say that SW is a limited franchise, and was not built for longevity? "It was a fairy tale. They told the story. It was done 40 years ago." Not to beat a dead horse, but I said that EXACT same thing months ago and you very much disagreed with me. (Although tbf I was being a dick at the time). Just saying. I got Mike and Rich on my side, now lol.

Ha, yes. That's the ONLY part I disagreed with. This franchise/galaxy has so much potential if they'd actually take some chances. The Mandalorian at least seems to be the first real test case in that regard...
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I'm skeptical that this movie's plot will hinge on time travel.

I'm also skeptical J.J. Abrams will be 100% honest in the details he puts out before the movie hits theaters (given his track record of insisting Benedict Cumberpatch wasn't Khan in Star Trek Into Darkness, when everyone realized of course he is).

In particular, I don't trust that these are new planets they're visiting and not Tatooine, Jakku, or even the planet from Rogue 1 where the scientists were designing the Death Star.

I love reading all the ideas and theories, though.
Thanks and gig'em
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Rey: "Wait a minute, Lando, Ah are you telling me that you built a time machine ... out of a YT-1300 light freighter?"

Lando: "The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a spaceship, why not do it with some style?"

----

Lando: "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits point five past lightspeed, you're going to see some serious nerfherding."

___

Young Lando: "Tell me this then, future girl! Who is the next Supreme Chancellor of the Republic?"
Rey: "There isn't one, Palpatine declares himself Emperor."
YL (laughing): Palpatine! The senator from Naboo?
(chuckling to himself)
YL: Who's second-in-charge? That little kid that blew up the Federation Control Ship? Skyfisher? Starwalker? Whatever his name is?
YL: "And I suppose young Wilhuff Tarkin from Eridau becomes some great military leader!"
Rey: "Wait, Lando, just a min-"
YL: "Goodnight, future girl!"

_____

Flashback to the Jedi Academy, Ben Skywalker telling Luke about his nightmare:
Ben: "Last night, Darth Vader came down from Planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out, that he'd melt my brain."

______
Forced to improvise to get an audience with Jabba the Hutt in the past, Rey improvises with a song she wrote as a girl on Jakku to win a talent show.

Bith (listening to the song and using his comlink): Figrin! Figrin! It's Marvin! Your cousin, Marvin D'an. You know that new sound you and the Modal Nodes are looking for? Well, listen to this!"

_____
In the past, Rey meets young Luke, Obi-Wan's ghost, and Yoda

Obi-Wan: She's a very strange young woman.

Yoda: An idiot she is. Comes from her time as a padawan. Her master, likely an idiot as well, and his master too. Luke, if ever an apprentice like this you have, no more teaching will I give you.

______
Old Lando travels through time to Cloud City before he owned it.

Old Lando: That's Lobot! Jesus, didn't that guy ever have hair?
vwbug
When does everyone think the next teaser or trailer will drop for episode 9?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The official trailer for TFA debuted on October 19, 2015
The official trailer for TLJ debuted on October 9, 2017.

So October.
Flashdiaz
AG
TCTTS
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

So October.

More specifically, both on Mondays, both on ESPN during Monday Night Football.

Monday, October 07, 2019 = Browns @ 49ers
Monday, October 14, 2019 = Lions @ Packers
Monday, October 21, 2019 = Patriots @ Jets

With the San Francisco/Lucasfilm connection, my money is on the night of October 7, at halftime of Browns/49ers.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

MuckRaker96 said:

So October.

More specifically, both on Mondays, both on ESPN during Monday Night Football.

Monday, October 07, 2019 = Browns @ 49ers
Monday, October 14, 2019 = Lions @ Packers
Monday, October 21, 2019 = Patriots @ Jets

With the San Francisco/Lucasfilm connection, my money is on the night of October 7, at halftime of Browns/49ers.
That game has 13-10 written all over it.
agracer
AG
TCTTS said:

I think it'll be different enough. But the broad beats of TFA matched ANH, and the broad beats of TLJ matched TESB. So there's no reason not to expect that the broad beats of TROS will likely match ROTJ.
well,....except one is the best movie in the franchise and the other the worst....

honestly though I'm missing how EST and TLJ match as you've suggested???
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
agracer said:

TCTTS said:

I think it'll be different enough. But the broad beats of TFA matched ANH, and the broad beats of TLJ matched TESB. So there's no reason not to expect that the broad beats of TROS will likely match ROTJ.
well,....except one is the best movie in the franchise and the other the worst....

All I can find is it had some AT-ATs on what at first glance appeared to be a snow planet but turned out to be a salt planet.
The Collective
AG
Heroes split up
Good guys on the run
Baddies try to get goods to switch
Cave vision scene
Luke / Yoda in exile
Training
Double cross (Lando / Del Toro character)
Crait is pretty similar to Hoth in battle purpose

Saul Goodman
AG
Seriously? While it's by no means beat-for-beat, there are a TON of similarities:

- Opens with Empire / First Order attack on Rebel / Resistance base
- Young person just recently introduced to the Force goes and seeks training from an old, exiled, grumpy Jedi
- Young jedi goes into a cave haunted by the darkside to face themselves
- New young "jedi" goes to confront the big bad, despite warnings from old jedi trainer to not do so
- Big bad fails to convert young jedi to the darkside and join them after a faceoff
- Empire / First Order looks to be in complete control at the end of the movie after decimating much of the rebels / resistance

I'm sure I've left out some others as well. I won't debate that ESB is the best SW movie ever made and I have no expectations that it will ever be surpassed...it's near perfect.

Edit: CJS4715 beat me to it
Duncan Idaho
agracer said:

TCTTS said:

Talk about self owning You just showed how they perfectly mirror each other.
TCTTS
AG
Really?

- ESB: Luke is on Dagobah, away from the action, learning the ways of the Force from Yoda, a hermit.
- TLJ: Rey is on Ahch-To, away from the action, learning the ways of the Force from Luke, a hermit.

- ESB: We're continually cutting back to Luke's friends, who are outnumbered and on the run from the Empire.
- TLJ: We're continually cutting back to Rey's friends, who are outnumbered and on the run the First Order.

- ESB: Yoda is hesitant to train Luke, finally agrees.
- TLJ: Luke is hesitant to train Rey, finally agrees.

- ESB: While on Dagobah, during his training, Luke has a frightening hallucination/vision.
- TLJ: While on Ahch-To, during her training, Rey has a frightening hallucination/vision.

- ESB: Said friends are double-crossed by someone they think is helping them: Lando Calrisian.
- TLJ: Said friends are double-crossed by someone they think is helping them: Benecio del Toro's DJ.

- ESB: Luke senses that his friends are in trouble, leaves his training early to go help them.
- TLJ: Rey senses that her friends are in trouble, leaves her training early to go help them.

- ESB: Luke learns the true nature of his parentage from the film's villain.
- TLJ: Rey learns the true nature of her parentage from the film's villain.

- ESB: After the climactic showdown, Luke reunites with his friends on the Millennium Falcon, the good guys still on the run.
- TLJ: After the climactic showdown, Rey reunites with her friends on the Millennium Falcon, the good guys still on the run.

I mean, broad beat for beat, it's basically the exact same movie.
TCTTS
AG
Saul Goodman said:

Edit: CJS4715 beat me to it

Ha, both of you beat me to it.
agracer
AG
Well I was obviously completely missing what you were suggesting but now realizing how dumb I was being...

I'm just blinded by how awful I think the TLJ is that I can't see the comparison (because ESB was so good) but now I do...
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Really?

- ESB: Luke is on Dagobah, away from the action, learning the ways of the Force from Yoda, a hermit.
- TLJ: Rey is on Ahch-To, away from the action, learning the ways of the Force from Luke, a hermit.

- ESB: We're continually cutting back to Luke's friends, who are outnumbered and on the run from the Empire.
- TLJ: We're continually cutting back to Rey's friends, who are outnumbered and on the run the First Order.

- ESB: Yoda is hesitant to train Luke, finally agrees.
- TLJ: Luke is hesitant to train Rey, finally agrees.

- ESB: While on Dagobah, during his training, Luke has a frightening hallucination/vision.
- TLJ: While on Ahch-To, during her training, Rey has a frightening hallucination/vision.

- ESB: Said friends are double-crossed by someone they think is helping them: Lando Calrisian.
- TLJ: Said friends are double-crossed by someone they think is helping them: Benecio del Toro's DJ.

- ESB: Luke senses that his friends are in trouble, leaves his training early to go help them.
- TLJ: Rey senses that her friends are in trouble, leaves her training early to go help them.

- ESB: Luke learns the true nature of his parentage from the film's villain.

- ESB: After the climactic showdown, Luke reunites with his friends on the Millennium Falcon, the good guys still on the run.
- TLJ: After the climactic showdown, Rey reunites with her friends on the Millennium Falcon, the good guys still on the run.

(REDACTED) per my promise.
Flashdiaz
AG
TCTTS said:

Just like these two are women.... the same, but different.

twilly
AG
I mean they are close. One has two tits, and the other has....uhm....
Claude!
They mirror each other, but it's a crazy funhouse mirror where one side (TLJ) is a distorted and sad reflection of the other.
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, I'm talking about structure only. "Beats" in film/screenwriting terms are in reference to basic plot points, not quality. It's not a 1:1 comparison. Of course ESB is a FAR superior movie.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
What's the longest this thread has ever gone without a TLJ bashing? LIke 4 hours?
twilly
AG
TLJ Sucks

30 seconds
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

I remain unconvinced.
Belton Ag
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

I remain unconvinced.
The more I think about this, the more I think that they're going to just go with what Johnson handed them. If the leaks and theories we've seen turn out to be correct, there's already so much they're going to cram into this movie I would think it would be too much to also retcon Johnson's lineage story.
TCTTS
AG
Fair enough. At this point, we know her parentage is being addressed again in IX, so yeah, it's liekly going to change.
TCTTS
AG
Abrams and Ridley have both straight up said it's being addressed again. I can't imagine them readdressing it, only to come to the same conclusion.
The Collective
AG
This is still my favorite scene in TLJ. Kylo rules the new trilogy bigly.

First Page Last Page
Page 85 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.