*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

747,644 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

Ok... so, taking Jokershady's awesome theory into account, and the ensuing discussion of it, along with the current Episode IX rumors, here's what I'm thinking would make the most sense, satisfy certain loose ends, and still remain true to the already established themes of TFA and TLJ. If I were Abrams, this would be my take...

• Darth Plagueis created Anakin. If that's not fact already, make it so. Plagueis picked some random woman on Tatooine and somehow incepted her with midi-chlorians or whatever. However he did it, this would be the first time in the galaxy's history that someone figured out how to create actual life with The Force. As laid out by Flashdiaz, this would also now make the Skywalker blood a basterdization (purposeful misspelling so as to not be censored) of The Force.
  • Plagues was murdered, perhaps by Palpatine, his apprentice. However, Plagueis not only learned how to "keep the ones he cared about from dying," he learned how to keep even himself from dying. This is why Snoke looks the way he does, like a resurrected corpse. Snoke is Plagueis, Plagueis is Snoke. However, this process of resurrection took years, maybe even decades, and Plagueis/Snoke wasn't at full strength again, unable to reemerge and claim his rightful throne until Palpatine was defeated... by Plagueis' own creation.
  • Plagueis then essentially got a do-over with Kylo, the grandson of his creation. Together, however, they needed to eliminate the son, "corrupted" by the light side of the Force, hence their pursuit of Luke.
  • Kylo's big thematic push in TLJ is to "Let the past die. Kill it if you have to." So from a thematic standpoint, how do you challenge him in Episode IX? You don't let him kill the past. You make him face it. Kylo somehow learns that Snoke is Plagueis and that Plagueis created his grandfather. In other words, he learns that he killed the man who (essentially) created him. Maybe there's some record of this at Vader's fortress, maybe there's another character who emerges to tell the story, but as rumored, we see all of the above via flashbacks (even if only briefly). Kylo then has no choice but to face his past. His past literally flows through him. And in the end, his "redeeming" quality is that he ultimately "kills the past" by dying.
  • Through all of this, Rey's existence is now given context. She was created by The Force (whether in birth or in childhood) to ultimately help Kylo fulfill his destiny... which is to "let" the past/himself die, to kill off the Skywalker bloodline once and for all, to balance out the equation. There's even some nice symmetry with Anakin being created on an outer-rim desert planet and The Force eventually willing Rey to one as well. Almost as if it has a sense of irony/symmetry/balance in its intentions. And this doesn't have to be explicit either. No one has to spell it out for her or the audience that the Force created her. It can basically be assumed. But if Abrams does want to make this explicit, he has plenty of Force ghosts who are now one with the Force and know of the Force's wants/needs/history/etc/that there can be a little info dump if necessary.
  • IMO, this still wouldn't undercut the "nobody" theme established in TFA and TLJ, as the Force would have purposely gone out of its way to chose a nobody/non-Skywalker for its task. And in doing so, showed so many other "nobodies" (broom boy, etc) that it's not your bloodline that makes you great. Granted, Rey would still be "chosen" in this instance, which I kind of have an issue with, but as long the point is to essentially say, "You don't have to be a Skywalker to save the galaxy," I think I can be on board with that.

Thoughts? Yay? Nay? What am I missing?

Hey TCTTS....since you're closest to Hollywood, why not tweet this little gem to Mark Hamill.

He's about as loyal to fans as any star that currently exists....would be excellent if he actually had a comment
TCTTS
AG
Ha, if only it were that easy.
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Just wanted to say this thread is killing it.

When I see a bunch of new posts on a SW thread, I always open it nervously.
AliasMan02
AG
Some interesting discussion, here. Thought I'd throw in another wrinkle:

What if the Awakening that Rey experiences, which we have understood to be the will of the living Force to counteract the rising darkness of Kylo, is more deliberate than we have been led to believe? Yoda knows Rey when he speaks to Luke, after all. She was effectively chosen by the Force's representatives such as Yoda, Kenobi, and Anakin.

In the interest of wrapping the 9 films to include Prequel callbacks and characters, Rey could learn her final lessons and get a grip on what is happening to her through the Living Force's representatives: Luke, Obi-Wan, and then Anakin. One per act, in that order... A Christmas Carol, in some ways.

All talk about the Chosen One, who was at one time Anakin and then Luke. Obi-Wan shepherded both of them. And now it's Rey, and all three tell her about their mistakes.

Obi-Wan doesn't fit AS well in that theme as Anakin and Luke, who were both chosen ones and ultimately failed as masters. Kenobi only was the latter.

Anyway, interesting things to consider.
AgMarauder04
AG
CJS4715 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Who's up for an analysis of the Resistance and First Order as an analogy for Democrats and Republicans?
TCTTS
AG
Ha, with the way the "Who Is America?" thread has gone today, I think I'd finally lose it if that actually happened here.
Ulrich
AgMarauder04 said:

CJS4715 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Who's up for an analysis of the Resistance and First Order as an analogy for Democrats and Republicans?

I think you mean Republicans and Democrats

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
As someone who wrote several Star Wars fan fics back in the day, I'd like to officially say you guys have too much time on your hands.
jokershady
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

As someone who wrote several Star Wars fan fics back in the day, I'd like to officially say you guys have too much time on your hands.

Liquid Wrench

Quote:

S'go.

Flashdiaz
AG
I like it. Lots of good themes. Including a persons life is a choice regardless of bloodline or how they were brought up. Even though Luke and Lea were spawns of evil intentions, they turned to the light and helped propel the galaxy towards good.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
So, if y'all think Snoke is a resurrected Plaguis, does that mean he'd show up again in IX? If he's resurrected himself before, he could do it again.

Plus... he was just sliced in half the same way Maul was, and Solo took mainstream the canon from the cartoons that Maul survived that and continued to be a major threat to the galaxy. Star Wars might have already tipped its hat that Snoke could have survived.

It just seems to me if a key part of this theory is that Snoke knows how to resurrect himself, then that would have to be dealt with in IX unless we want Snoke perpetually coming back to life. (Maybe his life force will be tied to the Skywalker lineage, kind of like Sauron and the ring in LOTR.)
Thanks and gig'em
Flashdiaz
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

So, if y'all think Snoke is a resurrected Plaguis, does that mean he'd show up again in IX? If he's resurrected himself before, he could do it again.

Plus... he was just sliced in half the same way Maul was, and Solo took mainstream the canon from the cartoons that Maul survived that and continued to be a major threat to the galaxy. Star Wars might have already tipped its hat that Snoke could have survived.

It just seems to me if a key part of this theory is that Snoke knows how to resurrect himself, then that would have to be dealt with in IX unless we want Snoke perpetually coming back to life. (Maybe his life force will be tied to the Skywalker lineage, kind of like Sauron and the ring in LOTR.)
personally, i'm not a huge fan of Maul coming back... sets a bad precedent. Jedi may have to kill siths like a vampire and cut the head off and slice their heart.

Snoke was comically dead in the Last Jedi to the point his eyes were half open\rolled back with his tongue sticking out. I'm going with he is dead.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Jesus. I figured my comment might spark a few reactions... not three pages of fan theory. What have I done...
bobinator
AG
I mean... if we're already all the way out there... even taking the Darth Maul thing out of it...

Snoke somehow connected the minds of Kylo and Rey from halfway across the galaxy so he's obviously pretty powerful, and Luke projected an image himself from the same distance.

So it wouldn't be completely unreasonable if Snoke's death was a fake also.

Stupid maybe, but plausible.
bobinator
AG
I do sort of hope we get a massive force ghost reunion involving Rey and like... everyone.
Dro07
AG
You could go Legends and say that Snoke made a clone of himself. I mean its not like cloning isnt possible and its cannon
israeliag
AG
bobinator said:

I do sort of hope we get a massive force ghost reunion involving Rey and like... everyone.

And it better be to Yub Nub!
Render
AG
TCTTS said:

In other words, he learns that he killed the man who (essentially) created him. Maybe there's some record of this at Vader's fortress, maybe there's another character who emerges to tell the story, but as rumored, we see all of the above via flashbacks (even if only briefly). Kylo then has no choice but to face his past. His past literally flows through him. And in the end, his "redeeming" quality is that he ultimately "kills the past" by dying.

That's essentially how the original Frankenstein story ended. He realized he was a freak of nature and caused great misery, so he committed suicide by burning himself alive. Kylo could also burn himself alive, which would be symmetrical with Luke burning Vader's corpse. It's like poetry, it rhymes...

I kinda dig the Kylo part, but it's way too dark for a general audience SW movie. You would be essentially glorifying suicide.
bobinator
AG
One thing I've been thinking about since this started yesterday is that for there to be any sort of Kylo Ren redemption arc, we're going to have to get a new "big bad." Pulling that off in one movie seems... let's say optimistic.
Render
AG
How about the Knights of Ren?

They could be akin to the SS in the Nazi Party. Die hard believers in the dark side, evilness, etc...
bobinator
AG
Except he's their leader. Would be like Hitler turning on the SS.
Ulrich
A lot of this is sort of how I've assumed it has to be. Rey has to have some training to become instantly powerful without trivializing the Force, but she clearly doesn't remember being trained so she must be unlocking memories that she lost through manipulation or trauma.

Then borrowing from what other people are saying, I don't see how this ends without Kylo Ren dying, but since he has been so conflicted it might make sense for it to at least be ambiguous about what he was trying to achieve when he dies. Plus the character really needs a hero moment in combat.
Render
AG
True, but maybe they aren't blindly loyal to Kylo. If they sense Kylo is "growing soft" towards the enemy, they may stage a coup. They're essentially Sith, and Sith are known to fight among themselves.
bobinator
AG
Okay okay, I'm with you... I'm forming something here, the rest of the Knights of Ren attack the rebels and kill Leia without Kylo's permission perhaps? Then they're going to after Rey, Kylo Ren ultimately ends up sacrificing himself to stop them from killing Rey?

That would sort of feed into the arc of the Sith not doing things for the general good because he isn't saving Rey to save the galaxy or any sort of wider benevolent reason, he just likes her so he's still being selfish.

I haven't all the way thought that out, but maybe something along those lines?
twilly
AG
bobinator said:

Except he's their leader. Would be like Hitler turning on the SS.

The SA was the security/enforcer force before the SS, and Hitler did turn against them and killed/jailed those leaders. So it has been known to happen.
twilly
AG
Actually, a paranoid Kylo Ren going all vindictive on the traitorous First Order would make for a good dark storyline and battle scenes.
DartAg1970
AG
what if Kylo is truly finishing what Anakin (his grandfather started) as was mentioned in TFA.

Hear me out:

Anakin was brought to life by the force to destroy the sith and bring balance to the Force. He deviates from that path by his own free will. This results in the sith coming to power. Then through his children he comes to realize his mistakes and does what he was always meant to (destroy the sith) He does so by killing Palps and then dying himself.

Now fast forward and Snoke ends up showing up out of know where. We know (or at least it is speculated) that Snoke somehow comes into contact with Ben Solo. After a series of events we already know about Kylo Ren becomes Snoke's apprentice.

We then get the scene where he is talking to Vader's helmet telling him he will finish what Anakin started. We all assume that he means Vader, but what if he means Anakin and he means to finish off the Sith and the only way he knows how is to get into his inner circle.

He then trick snoke the same way he does in the throne room by making snoke think he is going to kill Rey but actually kills him. Everything he does can be looked at 1 of 2 ways. Either he is evil and he is doing all of this to become more powerful or he is good and he is trying to end the sith without being obvious about it.

- Snoke senses his call to the light.
- He is being torn apart because he knows what he has to do to get closer to snoke but he doesnt think he can kill Han so Han helps him do it.

The list goes on of how all of his actions leading up to his killing of snoke could be an elaborate ploy to appear bad to finish what Anakin started. There are obviously some holes that would need to be filled but this could be Kylo's redemption.
bobinator
AG
All of that already happened right? Like he had that redemption arc completed, and had a chance to become a "good guy" in the Last Jedi and chose not to.

While we're spitballing ideas, and maybe I missed this, but any title predictions?
Malachi Constant
AG
SS
Nazis
John Williams scored Schindlers List
Steven Spielberg directed Schindler's list.
Abrams is Spielberg's apprentice.
Kylo was Snoke's apprentice
JW scores Star Wars.
Kylo = Amon Goeth confirmed
Rey = Oskar Schindler confirmed.

Something like that.
jackie childs
bobinator said:

All of that already happened right? Like he had that redemption arc completed, and had a chance to become a "good guy" in the Last Jedi and chose not to.

While we're spitballing ideas, and maybe I missed this, but any title predictions?
Episode IX: Deal with It
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

"I talked to Todd Fisher today about all of this and he has been talking with J. J. Abrams about it. I asked him, because the press release only said The Force Awakens so I asked about The Last Jedi, and they are also using unused footage from The Last Jedi. I asked him how many minutes of footage they had from it and he said 'I can't tell you that!'"

"He (Todd Fisher) said there were big surprises coming big surprises with this movie, this performance, and the unused footage and said this one is really for the fans."

"But they apparently have a number of unused minutes from both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi."

"Todd and the whole family are very excited and wanted it to happen."

bobinator
AG
Star Wars: The Force Takes a Long Nap
Star Wars: The Last One
Star Wars: J/k guys there are more Jedi

...okay but seriously... possibilities... best I've got so far that captures that sort of "this is the end" spirit is something like "Star Wars: Legacy of the Force"
Render
AG
I like it, that'd work. It would allow his death to happen, while still retaining his character development. Because tbh, I really don't think Kylo can be redeemed. I realize Vader was, but Kylo has done more evil things on-screen, so it'd be tonally weird for Kylo to become good. Having him be unrepentant while sacrificing himself would be a satisfying conclusion to his complex character arc.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Star Wars: A Lasting Legacy

(In reference to Luke)
First Page Last Page
Page 8 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.