*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

750,383 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
Quad Dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know it's trailer release day hype, but am I the only one that finds the title for the last movie in a nine movie series that contains "Rise" tobe dumb? Also digging up Palpatine and a Death Star again? How many movies contain a Death Star now? I guess that's what you do when TLJ tries something original, and everyone hates it. All the rumors about Knight of Ren were nothing?
Ag Since 83
AG
Canonically it's also been stated (by Obi-Wan to Maul) that Luke is the Chosen One so who the hell knows
redline248
AG
It is definitive that the Force created Anakin. Not a Sith, not the dark side of the Force, just the Force. From a certain point of view.

?region=0%2C0%2C1200%2C507
TCTTS
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

TCTTS said:

Ha, I'm just going off of the definitive statement YOU made that clearly wasn't definitive. We don't know how Anakin was created. None of the movies have answered that question. "Virgin birth" doesn't exclude Palaptine tampering in some way. That's all I'm saying. A poster made a claim that Anakin was created by the dark side. And then you answered with a definitive "No he wasn't." My only point is that your statement is just as arbitrary as his statement, because we don't know for sure yet.

Because from a canonical stand point, he wasn't. And until that changes in some fashion in IX, he still wasn't.

Seems like a proper stance to take on something that has been shown in canon in one way and hasn't been definitively shown to be factually incorrect.

I'm confused. Where, in the past eight movies, has it either been definitively shown or a character has definitively said that Palpatine didn't have a hand in creating Anakin? I'm genuinely asking.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Canonically it's also been stated (by Obi-Wan to Maul) that Luke is the Chosen One so who the hell knows

I mean, you saw ROTJ right?

The prophecy did come to pass. Anakin just wandered in the "desert" of the dark side for a few years/decades.
wangus12
AG
redline248 said:

It just hit me, the current legacy of some of our favorite characters are the failures of Han/Leia as parents and of Luke as a teacher.
That is not acceptable
redline248
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Obi-Wan also thought there was no way Anakin would return to the light.
bobinator
AG
Sidious does a slow head turn when telling the tale of Darth Plagueis and says he learned to influence the midichlorians and "even create life" while staring at Anakin when he's been facing forward the whole rest of their conversation.

That's pretty clearly some evidence. It's not like absolute proof, but is a pretty heavy wink no?
Ag Since 83
AG
I'm just saying Luke clearly didn't fit the description of the prophecy, yet Obi-Wan was willing to consider him the chosen one. So it's all negotiable.
redline248
AG
TCTTS said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

TCTTS said:

Ha, I'm just going off of the definitive statement YOU made that clearly wasn't definitive. We don't know how Anakin was created. None of the movies have answered that question. "Virgin birth" doesn't exclude Palaptine tampering in some way. That's all I'm saying. A poster made a claim that Anakin was created by the dark side. And then you answered with a definitive "No he wasn't." My only point is that your statement is just as arbitrary as his statement, because we don't know for sure yet.

Because from a canonical stand point, he wasn't. And until that changes in some fashion in IX, he still wasn't.

Seems like a proper stance to take on something that has been shown in canon in one way and hasn't been definitively shown to be factually incorrect.

I'm confused. Where, in the past eight movies, has it either been definitively shown or a character has definitively said that Palpatine didn't have a hand in creating Anakin? I'm genuinely asking.
You are the movie guru around here. From a storytelling standpoint, if a movie never shows or talks about something, it doesn't exist in that movie's reality.
redline248
AG
bobinator said:

Sidious does a slow head turn when telling the tale of Darth Plagueis and says he learned to influence the midichlorians and "even create life" while staring at Anakin when he's been facing forward the whole rest of their conversation.

That's pretty clearly some evidence. It's not like absolute proof, but is a pretty heavy wink no?
He also told Anakin they would find a way to stop someone from dying. He was full of sh-t
bobinator
AG
redline248 said:

It just hit me, the current legacy of some of our favorite characters are the failures of Han/Leia as parents and of Luke as a teacher.

This is why I think Rey is no one. The whole saga is basically a series of Skywalkers trying and failing. She, an outsider, is going to end the saga.
4stringAg
AG
jokershady said:

4stringAg said:

What is that being welded right after the Kylo light saber clip?
looks like Kylos helmet
That's what I thought but it passed kind of quick so wasn't sure.
TCTTS
AG
redline248 said:

TCTTS said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

TCTTS said:

You are the movie guru around here. From a storytelling standpoint, if a movie never shows or talks about something, it doesn't exist in that movie's reality.
I'm so confused right now. Whatever logic you're referring to here makes absolutely no sense. I'm literally asking what caused you to DEFINITIVELY state that Palpatine didn't create Anakin.
bobinator
AG
I don't think he's lying per se about that, I think he does believe he either has or can learn that power.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

TCTTS said:

I did edit my post a tad, but Qui-Gon was the one to theorize that the midi-chlorians (thanks again Lucas) which iirc was on screen in TPM after he checks Anakin's blood. Nothing on screen or in canon publications has contradicted that to my knowledge.

As I said in my post, the theories involving Plagiues or Sidious have come from the fans. Which is why I still side with the other poster's definitive stance on how it's been presented in canon.
TCTTS
AG
bobinator said:

Bingo. Seems to me there's more evidence that Palpatine did do something than didn't. I'm genuinely to curious as to why a few posters are suddenly going, "No, he couldn't have!"
TCTTS
AG
But nothing other than that vague reference and a prophecy has been definitively presented in canon. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. Why couldn't Palpatine have been the reason for the high midi-chlorian count? I'm not saying he IS the reason, I'm just wondering how you guys are so sure he's NOT? My only point is that none of us know for sure yet. And you guys seem to be saying, "Actually, we do know for sure because... canon." And then I ask, "What canon." And then your answers seem to be references to a couple of vague in-movie statements?
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I also should have kept putting (possibly) in my theories, but I got lazy.

But with the title of this movie and the Palpatine laugh I feel pretty good that this movie is going to reveal Anakin's birth.
redline248
AG
Why wouldn't a supposed being created by a powerful Sith, using the dark side, not be twisted and evil from day 1? Would it even have the capacity to turn to light?
bobinator
AG
He can create a life, not create a personality. Plenty of good people raise horrible kids and plenty of horrible people somehow raise good kids.
TCTTS
AG
So he could "infiltrate" the Jedi? IF Palpatine created Anakin, the idea is that Anakin would - hopefully - turn out be a wolf in sheep's clothing. Everyone thinks Anakin is this all-powerful good guy - and he is, at first - but Palpatine is slowly but surely working to turn him, which was the plan all along. So that he could catch everyone off guard, which is his M.O. I mean, this is pretty basic stuff fans have talked about for years and years. And again, I'm not saying it's true. I'm just saying that we don't know for sure yet.
4stringAg
AG
So do people think Palpatine has been alive the whole time calling shots for the First Order from the ruins of the Death Star? (i.e. was Palpatine behind Snoke)?

Or do most people think this is going to be some type of Palpatine spirit/ghost?
4stringAg
AG
TCTTS said:

So he could "infiltrate" the Jedi? IF Palpatine created Anakin, the idea is that Anakin would be a wolf in sheep's clothing. Everyone thinks Anakin is this all-powerful good guy but Palpatine has been slowly but surely working to turn him, which was the plan all along. So that he could catch everyone off guard, which is his M.O. I mean, this is pretty basic stuff fans have talked about for years and years.
Palpatine plays the long game for sure..
PatAg
AG
bobinator said:

You don't think he could have just been full of it and saying what he knew Anakin wanted to hear?
It never even really occurred to me what you are suggesting was even an option, which it definitely could be. I don't really like the idea, but it's not the worst either.
bobinator
AG
I actually don't think he's alive at all, I just think he's reaching out from beyond the grave so to speak because he created the Skywalkers. So his influence is still being felt.

I think we might see him in a flashback or something but I don't think he's actually alive.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Quote:

The only reason I'm posting it here is because it's just so crazy that I can't see Abrams & co actually going through with it... but again, it also weirdly makes too much sense for them NOT to...

PART 1
PART II
PART C

Welp... it would really tidy everything up pretty nicely. Is RJ involved because he would probably do this, knowing that we would not EXPECT him to actually do something this expected... thus double-subverting expectations!
PatAg
AG
I feel like we will see a force apparation of his at the site of the wreckage and it can only be there for some reason, unlike yoda and obiwan.
bobinator
AG
I do think that's part of it. He's definitely implying to Anakin that only he can give him a way to save Padme. But that doesn't mean he's lying about it.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

But nothing other than that vague reference and a prophecy has been definitively presented in canon. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. Why couldn't Palpatine have been the reason for the high midi-chlorian count? I'm not saying he IS the reason, I'm just wondering how you guys are so sure he's NOT?

Simple answer is that the Sith did not play well with each other and are highly manipulative, and that was a story about Darth Plagiues in ROTS about manipulation of the midichloriams, not him (Sidious).

You realize that Plagiues was not Sidious/Palpatine right?
PatAg
AG
Try again on the tags
SpreadsheetAg
AG
PatAg said:

Try again on the tags
Finally got it.... url code threw me off
redline248
AG
FFS, now we're going to take all 6 of the first movies and throw them in the trash with a "gotcha" reveal in 9?

Y'all really think it's so complicated?
TCTTS
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

TCTTS said:

But nothing other than that vague reference and a prophecy has been definitively presented in canon. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. Why couldn't Palpatine have been the reason for the high midi-chlorian count? I'm not saying he IS the reason, I'm just wondering how you guys are so sure he's NOT?

Simple answer is that the Sith did not play well with each other and are highly manipulative, and that was a story about Darth Plagiues in ROTS about manipulation of the midichloriams, not him (Sidious).

You realize that Plagiues was not Sidious/Palpatine right?

Yes, I know they're two different people. But you STILL haven't answered my question. Ha, this is legit one of the most baffling SW conversations I've ever had on this board. So the reason Palaptine couldn't have had a part in creating Anakin is because "Sith did not play well with each other"? I don't even understand how that applies to this situation.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
First Page Last Page
Page 50 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.