*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

750,275 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Flashdiaz
AG
Human DiscoBall will be my username if I get banned again
agracer
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

I want Rose to die in a hilarious way.
Quote:

TCTTS
In reply to agracer 12:06p, 1/22/19

AG

I get not liking the character - I didn't either - but this is a bit much. Can we dial back the Rose hate a bit? Especially after seeing that latest YouTube video in the main SW thread, where Ahmed Best, who played Jar Jar, was on the verge of suicide after all the hate he and his character received. It just feels gross to add to that in anyway, even if on a message board Kelly Tran will never read.
Careful Ag Marauder
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"What's a human disco ball?"

"It's that thing of when a midget covers himself in super glue, rolls around in glitter, and is hung from the ceiling."

AgMarauder04
AG
agracer said:

AgMarauder04 said:

Quote:

TCTTS
In reply to agracer 12:06p, 1/22/19

AG

I get not liking the character - I didn't either - but this is a bit much. Can we dial back the Rose hate a bit? Especially after seeing that latest YouTube video in the main SW thread, where Ahmed Best, who played Jar Jar, was on the verge of suicide after all the hate he and his character received. It just feels gross to add to that in anyway, even if on a message board Kelly Tran will never read.
Careful Ag Marauder

Meh, I have nothing against her as a person, I just want her character to go away. Forever. In a way that makes me laugh. It's too bad people make it personal and attacking the actress, but that doesn't make me feel bad about wanting her character to kick the bucket
nosoupforyou
AG
it's the writers that messed up, not her personally
AgMarauder04
AG
nosoupforyou said:

it's the writers that messed up, not her personally

100% agree.
A. Solzhenitsyn
What a strange new world where the SJWs are against even mocking or bashing a fictional character.
Flashdiaz
AG
lets not start this crap again.

Here's a pic of the KoR to help things along:

TCTTS
AG
What a strange new world where one of the targets of said mockery and bashing gives serious consideration to commuting suicide because of it. God forbid we actually try and consider the ways in which we do or don't contribute to something like that.
AgMarauder04
AG
TCTTS said:

What a strange new world where one of the targets of said mockery and bashing gives serious consideration to commuting suicide because of it. God forbid we actually try and consider the ways in which we do or don't contribute to something like that.

I mean, there's a difference between bashing/mocking a character and attacking the actor/actress for portraying that character. I don't like Rose, feel she brings nothing to the franchise, and hope for her demise, but hold nothing against the actress. That's a little ridiculous imo.
Fenrir
Flashdiaz said:

I'm going to be so disappointed if we go this entire trilogy without any meaningful happening with the KoR.
512Ag
AG
Ep IX crawl, first draft.

Rose is dead. Following their narrow escape from Crait,
THE RESISTANCE, led by Rey and Poe Dameron, have been
in hiding in the Outer Rim for 10 parsecs, which, as everyone knows, is a
measure of time as opposed to distance In galaxies far, far away.
AgMarauder04
AG
I mean, I wouldn't be against her going out in an offscreen blaze of glory with Leia
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Rose is Plagueis.
Gigem314
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

I mean, I wouldn't be against her going out in an offscreen blaze of glory with Leia
TCTTS
AG
Fenrir said:

Flashdiaz said:

I'm going to be so disappointed if we go this entire trilogy without any meaningful happening with the KoR.

Credible rumors strongly support that the KoR will actually/finally play a relatively significant role this go around. The basic idea is that they've been... somewhere... the past two movies (and I'm not trying to be coy, no one really knows where), and a "greater threat" potentially follows them back from wherever they've been.
jokershady
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Rex Racer
AG
Rose doesn't have to die. The character just doesn't need to be in Episode IX. Problem solved.
A. Solzhenitsyn
TCTTS said:

What a strange new world where one of the targets of said mockery and bashing gives serious consideration to commuting suicide because of it.

That's on them.
TCTTS
AG
Maybe it is. But it's also on a toxic fandom, too. There's no denying that. It can be BOTH. Then again, I somehow always forget the "one-way street" view of the world so many here share. There's always such an "I can do/say whatever I want and damn the consequences, it's their pansy-ass fault" attitude. Yes, you're obviously free to have your opinions and spout them all over message boards, but they DO sometimes have consequences. I will simply never understand the utter lack-of-empathy-at-all-cost attitude in lieu of the "It's my right" bullsh*t bravado. You can take that stance and still at least try and show empathy while doing so, as many level-headed posters here have done. It doesn't always have to be one way or the other.
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

Fenrir said:

Flashdiaz said:

Credible rumors strongly support that the KoR will actually/finally play a relatively significant role this go around. The basic idea is that they've been... somewhere... the past two movies (and I'm not trying to be coy, no one really knows where), and a "greater threat" potentially follows them back from wherever they've been.
This sounds like a serviceable way to bail out this trilogy.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. It would have been nice to have at least ONE offhanded line in the past two movies that was essentially, "... while the Knights of Ren are on their pilgrimage..." but at this point, whatever, and yeah, (re)introducing them in this fashion - in a way that actually leads to/causes plot - could go a long way toward salvaging things in my eyes.

Speaking of, what mentions of the "Knights of Ren" have there been in the past two movies? Didn't Snoke mention them to Kylo at one point in TFA? If so, what was the context? And we've only seen them in Rey's Force vision in TFA, correct?
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

But it's also on a toxic fandom, too
This is a bogus term that's just shorthand for "you disagree with me."

Was it "toxic fandom" when nerds were brigading entertainment boards to trash the Venom teaser trailer and promise that the movie would never make any money? If not, what would you call that?

Star Wars is a multi-generational property that nothing else really comes close to. People are going to have strong opinions about every little thing. That's why Disney paid whatever they paid to buy it. There's no "one way street" of "hype this, bash that, and shut up when you disagree."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Star Wars has both the best and worst fanbase on Earth.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

Agreed. It would have been nice to have at least ONE offhanded line in the past two movies that was essentially, "... while the Knights of Ren are on their pilgrimage..." but at this point, whatever, and yeah, (re)introducing them in this fashion - in a way that actually leads to/causes plot - could go a long way toward salvaging things in my eyes.

Speaking of, what mentions of the "Knights of Ren" have there been in the past two movies? Didn't Snoke mention them to Kylo at one point in TFA? If so, what was the context? And we've only seen them in Rey's Force vision in TFA, correct?
The only time I can recall them being mentioned is by hologram Snoke in TFA when he's talking about the challenging task Ren must face when confronting Han Solo.
jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Star Wars has both the best and worst fanbase on Earth.
Hullabaloo Caneck Caneck
Hullabaloo Caneck Caneck

There's a parallel somewhere between that and the football board....
Flashdiaz
AG
I think they were also mentioned in a snide way by Snoke in TLJ
AliasMan02
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

Quote:

Was it "toxic fandom" when nerds were brigading entertainment boards to trash the Venom teaser trailer and promise that the movie would never make any money? If not, what would you call that?

Star Wars is a multi-generational property that nothing else really comes close to. People are going to have strong opinions about every little thing. That's why Disney paid whatever they paid to buy it. There's no "one way street" of "hype this, bash that, and shut up when you disagree."

Dude, if you don't think toxic fandom is real, you're not spending any time in the online fandom circles. There is really no other way to describe some of these people, whose entire identity is based on trying to destroy people associated with a property they say they love. Not fictional characters, but actual people. Harassing them, stalking them, telling them they should kill themselves, etc.

Star Wars doesn't have that market totally cornered, but it is a huge cesspool in some arenas.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Toxic fandom exists, but I don't see it on this thread. Sending death threats or harassing an actor personally on twitter is toxic fandom. Its like sports. If an athlete has a poor season, then their performance is going to be discussed publicly in a negative way. It will be discussed on message boards, on sports shows and fans will call in on radio programs. That's part of the job. It becomes toxic when fans go to far and start sending letters and stupid crap like that.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Dude, if you don't think toxic fandom is real, you're not spending any time in the online fandom circles. There is really no other way to describe some of these people, whose entire identity is based on trying to destroy people associated with a property they say they love. Not fictional characters, but actual people. Harassing them, stalking them, telling them they should kill themselves, etc.
I don't seek that stuff out, and I don't give them encouragement or exposure. I think hardcore fans or Hollywood "insiders" may overestimate how much the manchildren actually influence the larger fanbase. The most extreme nerdy commentary I've seen recently is just stuff that people repost here or on other message boards, like the guy melting his toys for some reason. I purposely avoid the weirder stuff.

People commenting here about which parts they like and don't like aren't part of the "toxic fanbase," that I can see. I hardly ever even see people use the real name of the actress who portrayed a certain prominent female character in the last 2 films. Most people just have opinions about the biggest franchise in film history that some people have following longer than I've been alive.
TCTTS
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

Quote:

Whatever point you're trying to make is incredibly muddled here, but I agree wholeheartedly with AliasMan02's response. Also, there's nothing, in this instance, to agree or disagree with here in terms of the character. That's not even remotely what I've been talking about. I disliked Rose's character too, same as most people, and I've expressed that on multiple occasions. I'm not saying, "Like Rose's character and shut up if you don't."

This all kicked off when when someone mentioned wanting something pretty crude and vulgar to happen to her character in Episode IX - I can't even remember exactly what, but something beyond the standard "I hope she dies" - and I merely responded with a "that's a bit much, can we tone it done" request. Then that poster actually agreed that it was too far and edited his post.

And for the record, I've never once said anyone here was part of toxic fandom. By and large, even the "worst" posters here have lines they won't cross into psychopath territory. Ultimately, I was simply asking, in light of one Star Wars actor wanting to commit suicide based on fans' volatile reaction to him and his character over a period of years and years, why would we want to venture anywhere near that territory as a board? Why keep festering on this utter hate and disdain and lets instead try to steer the conversation away from anything that could be remotely associated with all the toxic voices that cause some of these people to leave social media, want to kill themselves, etc.?

Of course, there are a handful here who will always reply with variations of "I can say whatever I want" and "It's the character I hate, not the person" - and both things are true - but any bigger-picture nuance is lost on those people, and I'm done arguing about it at this point.
TCTTS
AG
jokershady said:

TCTTS said:

The only time I can recall them being mentioned is by hologram Snoke in TFA when he's talking about the challenging task Ren must face when confronting Han Solo.

Yeah, that's the only time I can remember as well. Will be interesting to see how they introduce them this go around, regardless.
redline248
AG
Knights of Ren have to be the other students that left Luke's academy with Kylo, right?
TCTTS
AG
That's probably a good guess. But if so, again, I wish it was something that would have at least been set up or hinted at in some way. It couldn't have been that hard to show them in the Luke/Kylo flashback in TLJ.
First Page Last Page
Page 28 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.