*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

750,321 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
Dekker_Lentz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

And for this theory to work Qi'ra and Han would to have been 44 when she was born. Not impossible.

It's Star Wars. You're telling me it's impossible for a 44 year-old woman to have a child in this galaxy? She also doesn't have to be Han's exact same age.

Not impossible, but it would make more sense to be Han/Qi'ra's grandchild.

So, we have Qi'ra at 19-20 in Solo, I am trying to remember if the movie implied that Qi'ra and Han had an intimate moment? Let's say for the sake of argument Han/Qi'ra had a kid around 10-8 BBY, could be shown in future Solo movies, or expanded universe material.

That kid would have been 22-25ish when Rey was born? That would fit in the timeline better. And would also avoid the whole Han cheating on Leia issue.

Just as a fun aside, Hera and Kanan's son would be around 19 when Rey was born. I don't think he has anything to with Rey, but just interesting where he would fall in the timeline.
Dro07
AG
What about Qira and Obi getting it on and having a kid? Then we get a toofer
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
dromo07 said:

but is it umpossible?
It's possimpible.
Dro07
jabberwalkie09
AG
dromo07 said:

What about Qira and Obi getting it on and having a kid? Then we get a toofer

Throw in some carbonite freezing....
Ag Since 83
AG
Kylo had not turned yet 6 years before TFA. Per Bloodline he was off training with Luke
TCTTS
AG
I really dig the granddaughter angle. Though, it does kind of ruin the yin/yang of Leia having a bad kid and Qi'ra having a good one.
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

I really dig the granddaughter angle. Though, it does kind of ruin the yin/yang of Leia having a bad kid and Qi'ra having a good one.
so are you cool now with rey's parents (or grandparents) not really being nobodies?

for what it's worth, the whole "anybody can be somebody" theme holds regardless of rey's parents/lineage. with the stable boy, we know there are other force-sensitive individuals in the galaxy. and if you expand it beyond force-users, it may wind up describing Finn's journey just as much as it would have Rey's
Dekker_Lentz
AG
TCTTS said:

It does, but it depends on where they land the Ben Solo story.
Ulrich
I know you guys have fallen in love with Duel of the Fates, but in keeping with these conversations and in the interests of stronger symmetry with Revenge of the Sith and Return of the Jedi, I propose

STAR WARS: RETCON OF THE CANON
TCTTS
AG
It wasn't the idea that Rey HAS to be a nobody that I warmed to. It was her poetentially being a Skywalker that bugged me. As long she's literally anyone other than a Skywalker, the message remains the same; your bloodline isn't a prerequisite for greatness.

The problem I had previously with Rey being Han's daughter was that it implied that Leia was her mother... thus making Rey a Skywalker. But this new theory eliminates Leia from the equation, something I hadn't considered prior.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

...and maybe they were NOBODIES. and losers junk traders who sold her off for drinking money. Qi'ras kid could be a loser who married a loser on Jakku.

would explain why Kylo even knows that - i mean WHY would he know that????

and then about the scene with the ship leaving maybe that was not Rey's parents but Qi'ra...they died (the parents) and she came to see about Rey but cannot take her because she is dark side and doesn't want her involved.

that's about the only scenario where leaving her with Unkar Plutt is a better alternative. but it could explain that and not really remembering her parents.

so yeah....huh.. she's Han's granddaughter from before Leia with Qi'ra.....maybe he never even knew about Rey really. But maybe he knew Qi'ras and his child (male or female really) was on Jakku and so that's how he put the pieces together.

makes everything that was said and done plausible. she is still the child of nobodies...and she is not a skywalker..... yet she is connected to Kylo.

Boom!!!!
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. And yeah, Kylo knowing that info has always bugged me. I assumed he communed with the Force or something and learned her parents' identity that way, but this scenario makes way more sense.
AliasMan02
AG
Biggest issue with this is that Han IN NO WAY reacts to Rey as if he's her father. I can see the argument that maybe there was some knowledge there of who she was (though I don't think that's really supported) but Han was totally unconcerned by her capture on Takodana. He didn't push or show any sort of heartache over her talking about waiting for her family on Jakku.

As far as theories go... Meh.
Ulrich
Kylo obviously knew who Rey was in TFA and appeared to hate her from the beginning.

What if the revelation that Han had (abandoned?) a kid with Qira caused a fight between Han and Leia and was part of the reason they drifted apart... and young Kylo blamed the child/grandchild for that?

This is turning into a bit of a soap opera but as fan theories go it can be tied into a lot of little threads.
TCTTS
AG
But what if Han didn't know know it was her? He only had a hunch? That, and he could have easily given her a difffert name at birth. "Rey" might be a name someone else gave her as an orphan. Also, if she's his granddaughter instead, it would make even more sense that he wouldn't now her.
Dro07
AG
Ya i think that if it is his daughter or whatever is that he didn't know and was kept secret from him.
TCTTS
AG
Also, I just keep going back to the fact that Rey's original name was "Kira" all through development and earlier drafts of the script. Her name was changed by Abrams toward the end. But then they just randomly use the exact same name only spelled differently for a character that has the same British accent, same color hair, and could either be her mother or grandmother? There could be something to that. Some little nod or hint, perhaps.
jackie childs
Ulrich said:

Kylo obviously knew who Rey was in TFA and appeared to hate her from the beginning.

What if the revelation that Han had (abandoned?) a kid with Qira caused a fight between Han and Leia and was part of the reason they drifted apart... and young Kylo blamed the child/grandchild for that?

This is turning into a bit of a soap opera but as fan theories go it can be tied into a lot of little threads.
or maybe Han legitimately has no idea Qira has a baby with him. since she's quasi-bad, someone takes baby rey from Qira and stashes her on jakku with Lor San Tekka nearby to watch over her. that would explain why Han took to her, but didn't connect the dots.

as for kylo's initial disdain for Rey, maybe snoke knew all about it and used it to fuel Ben's hate for Han and to further draw him to the dark?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
So I fleshed this out a bit and added the criteria it meets. not taking credit here just expounding on it and providing context, etc.

Things that need to be true for any theory to not require something tricky with canon:

1. Should be the child of "nobodies" who had her and/or left her on Jakku.
2. Should be potentially somebody that Han would know about and potentially Leia.
3. Should be the right age for her parents and they should be dead.
4. Should be someone Kylo would know about as well - he knew her past - and perhaps have an innate connection to via the force.
5. Should make sense with Rey's vision of being left on Jakku and the ship departing.
6. And should make some sense as to why she was left under Unkar Plutt's care.
7. JJ Abrams said her parents were not in TFA so that should also be true.
8. Lucasfilm Story Group pegged her age as 19 in TFA/TLJ. And Kylo as 29 or 30.
9. Should not be a Skywalker or Kenobi or any other relation to a force powerful family.
10. Needs to allow for the idea that anyone can be powerful in the force that it does not depend on lineage.

Basic theory Rey is the grandchild of Han solo and Qi'ra from the Solo movie his first love.

Qi'ra could have had a child within 10 years after Han Solo movie which occurred 13 BBY-10BBY. So anywhere from 9 BBY to say 0 ABY. That person would be between 34 and 43 years old at the time of TFA/TLJ (in 34 ABY) if they lived. More importantly that person would be between 15 and 24 years older than Rey (who was 19 in TFA/TLJ as confirmed by Lucasfilm Story Group) which works for the age of a parent to her.

So in this theory Qi'ra and Han Solo had a child around 4BBY let's say which may or may not be known to Han but I speculate he does know. That's long before meeting Leia which works for not having to make Han a cheater for example. But for whatever reason (maybe her dark side ties and debts owed to Maul, etc.) the child is never raised by Han but by Qi'ra. The child grows up and ends up settling on Jakku and becomes a trader for whatever reason perhaps Ki'ra would not expose the child to the dark side. Or perhaps that is where the child ended up later as an adult. As an adult this person was a junk trader and married some other lowlife Jakku trader. They then had a child in 15 ABY (Rey) but at some point, they sold her for drinking money and later died. Qi'ra finding out about her adult child's death comes back to Jakku but will not take the child Rey with her because of her dark side ties; but instead leaves her with Unkar Plutt and pays him off to protect her but keep her from being able to escape (just poor enough).

Now when Rey grows up and escapes she runs into Han Solo by fate/force or just plain dumb luck. But it's Star Wars so the universe is small despite being huge and of course they run into each other. Han hears her name "Rey" and assuming the version where he knows about Qi'ras kid with him and Jakku he figures out she must be his grandchild. Hence all the pseudo father-figure way he treats her and likely what he tells Maz when she asks about the girl. It sort of explains Leia's reaction to her (sympathetic hug) if Leia knows the story too it predated their relationship but maybe Han told her. And while she might bear a grudge for Qi'ra she likely would not for her child and Han's long lost grandchild. And even Kylo may know of her and that's why he knows about her parents who were nobodies (but he doesn't mention her grandparents) or maybe he finds out after meeting her and feeling the connection. but he is being honest with her when he tells her that her parents were nobodies and buried on Jakku, etc.

This meets all the criteria:
1. She is a child of "nobodies" who are dead and buried on Jakku and were junk traders.
2. Han and Leia might know of her but not know her directly and be sympathetic to her life and fate.
3. She would be the right age for a grandchild to young Han Solo and Qi'ra
4. She could be someone Kylo knows about and has a connection to via the force as they are related.
5. It makes sense with her being left behind on Jakku by her family (Qi'ra) and all she remembers is the ship leaving her there. Perhaps she was to young to remember her parents much. We also don't know how much time elapsed between their deaths and the ship leaving with Qi'ra. She could have been very young when they died.
6. It is a scenario in which leaving her with Unkar is better than taking her to the dark side.
7. Her parents would not have been in TFA then.
8. The ages work for Rey and Kylo and even Han.
9. She is not a Skywalker or Kenobi but she is a Solo (not a historic "force" family)
10. Still meets the idea that anyone can be powerful in the force.
Dro07
AG
So why are we saying she can't be a Kenobi?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
dromo07 said:

Nobody is saying she can't be - but you gotta rectify Kylo saying she is a nobody. I mean sure you can just say he is a liar but that's really simple and just thumbs the nose at TLJ.
Dro07
AG
Ah gotcha
jabberwalkie09
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

dromo07 said:

Nobody is saying she can't be - but you gotta rectify Kylo saying she is a nobody. I mean sure you can just say he is a liar but that's really simple and just thumbs the nose at TLJ.

I'm fine with that.
Carlo4
AG
TCTTS said:

*****me. This is a damn good theory. I hate that I might agree with it, too. It does almost tie everything together AND kind of make Kylo's words to Rey about her parents make sense. Or would at least give him the motivation to lie. I'm not all in on the theory just yet, and probably never will be, but this is a GREAT video. The voice over is a little too serious for my taste, but it's so well produced overall...

"That's it." Just like when Vader knew the Rebels were on Hoth.

I really enjoy this theory on Rey. Hans reactions to her make sense. Leia passing over Chewie makes sense.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
But what does this theory make different in Episode IX? Seemingly nothing.
AliasMan02
AG
I just feel like that theory willfully ignores so much.

1. You can't talk about how paternal Han was to Rey and then ignore the fact that he didn't even flinch when he saw Kylo carrying away her limp body on Takodana, or had no reaction when she speaks about waiting for her family on Jakku. He wasn't even in for her rescue on Starkiller... that was all Finn.

2. Why was the Falcon on Jakku? That's in the dang movie. It changed hands multiple times after being stolen from Han. It's not like Han left it parked there.

3. Kylo didn't hate Han. He tells Rey as much. Obviously he found him lacking as a father, but Kylo doesn't kill him out of hate or revenge. Hell, he damn near doesn't do it AT ALL. But he does it for the Dark Side, to try and smother the Light in him. "Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to."

4. For Han to be Rey's father, the timeline has to be pretty convoluted. Had would have to have hooked up with Qi'ra in 14-15 ABY but still been with Leia for at least another 13 years until the events of Bloodline (when Ben is 23 and still training with Luke).

5. Let's also not forget that Han and Leia talk about their estrangement being because Ben fell to the Dark Side. And the big push to his fall, it's implied in Bloodline, is the discovery that Vader was his grandfather (at the end of Bloodline). It's reasonable that this fact is what gives Snoke his "in" and is probably even how Snoke became aware of Ben Solo. No indication at all that Qi'ra was involved in the breakup.

6. Saying Qi'ra has ties to the Dark Side is a stretch. She works for/is owned by a crime syndicate. Maul being the head honcho wasn't even written into the script, so it can't have been part of the formation of her character.

7. On the Finn thing, he could win over some FO troopers, of course, but though various sources we've seen a lot of behind the scenes FO stuff and there is no indication there are aliens serving, especially as Stormtroopers. The scene he refers to isn't about the respect they have for Finn, but about Finn exposing Phasma for being responsible for the destruction of Starkiller. She then kills the witnesses.

Just don't see it, guys.
TCTTS
AG
This is very good, level-headed analysis. I'm coming back down to earth on this one...
Ulrich
I don't buy the theory simply because I don't think that "Han has a b****** child" is a direction they'll want to go. I tend to think she's not blood related to anyone significant. Maybe nothing more than a promising orphan at the Jedi academy.

But the theory seems to be settling in on a grandchild rather than a child, which may or may not solve timeline issues and lessens Hans attachment especially if he never met her parent.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Han being her father has been shot down mostly.... I've never thought that personally. And yeah there are too many issues for that to be true.

Han being her grandfather though is a new twist and changes almost every point you make - Han could easily not recognize a granddaughter of a child he maybe did not even know he had from 34-43 years ago. Or even from one he did know about but never saw (estranged from Qi'ra) and did not know about a grandchild.

TCTTS
AG
Agreed. The grandfather angle definitely cleans it up a bit. But the more I think about it, the more I'm wondering how they SHOW any of this? Or would it be just a giant expositional info dump?
Dekker_Lentz
AG
TCTTS said:

Agreed. The grandfather angle definitely cleans it up a bit. But the more I think about it, the more I'm wondering how they SHOW any of this? Or would it be just a giant expositional info dump?

I persobally like the Qi'ra/Han are Rey's grandparent theory.

But whatever story choice they make, my guess is that during the story, Rey will have some sort of crisis of faith about how she can't defeat Kylo Ren and either Maz/Force Ghost Luke/Lando/Chewbacca will impart some bit of her backstory to bolster her and put her over the top. This seems to be a pretty common Star Wars trope.

Whether it is she is related to Han/Qi'ra/Kenobi/No-One/Luke.

The more I think about it, the more I warm up to the idea of Luke telling Rey, what are waiting for, some ghost to tell you that you are the chosen one? That is what they told Anakin, me, and Kylo Ren and look at where that got us. The truth is a slave took down a Republic, a farmer took down the Empire, what are you Rey daughter of drunks going to do? Where we come from doesn't matter. It is what we do that defines us. Obviously the dialogue needs to be better but something along those lines could be powerful and tie everything up as well as making Rey related to other characters.

This is going to be the hardest thing for IX. It is going to have to answer a lot of thematic questions asked in 7 and 8.
bobinator
AG
TCTTS said:

You weren't concerned with how they'd show on-screen that Anakin Skywalker was definitely the product of Darth Plagueis manipulating the force and that Rey, for some reason 30 years later, was a product of the light side of the force, but "Han is your grandfather" is too much?
Dro07
AG
I can already hear the dialogue....

No Rey, I am your grand Papa!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
dromo07 said:

I can already hear the dialogue....

No Rey, I am your grand Papa!

from a dead Han Solo????
First Page Last Page
Page 12 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.