*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

747,739 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hope they do it, and that I forget all about it by the time I sit down to watch it for the first time.
bobinator
AG
Initially my brain tends to go to the "no way" side pretty quickly because the "Rey is nobody" seems so central to the message of the first two movies.

But... it's the second thing in that video that actually has me liking this a little bit. What if Rey is just caught up in the same Jedi/Sith BS as everyone else in the series and in the next movie we see her do something reckless to try and stop Kylo Ren.

Maybe it's not Rey that's the nobody who finally helps establish peace in the galaxy, it's Finn?
amercer
AG
Im not sure anyone is going to be happy with another OT character being trashed on screen (and I liked TLJ)

Plus it conflicts with what Han and Leia actually said in TFA.
Dro07
AG
Quote:

what did they say?
The Collective
AG
I feel like Chewie would have killed Han.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Star Wars IX: A Spark of Hope

Hmmmm........ maybe. Not terrible. Harkens back to a New Hope.
FTACO97
AG
Not sure I buy that Han is the father, but after seeing Solo I had a pretty strong notion that Qi'ra is possibly her mother. That would still give a reason why Han realized who she was and was caring towards her.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Star Wars: The Spark That Will Light The Fire That Will Burn The First Order Down
TCTTS
AG
Not a fan of that title at all. It doesn't roll off the tongue and just sounds off for some reason. That, and just because Johnson happened to land on a title that was in the previous crawl doesn't mean that Abrams has to draw from Johnson's crawl.
TCTTS
AG
Strangely, that title actually sounds better.
Flashdiaz
AG
Interesting theory but doubtful. They couldn't even come up with a structure for the story from 7 to 8. I doubt they are making Solo (a box office let down.... I liked it by the way) as a central story to the Skywalker saga.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Let's be honest, we're all just fighting for second place. This was ended when Alias threw out Duel of the Fates.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
My only thought on this Han/Qi'ra theory is how old would Qi'ra be when she gave birth to Rey? I am thinking Qi'ra would be in her mid 40's? I mean it isn't impossible, but...

Would it work better is Rey was Han/Qi'ra's granddaughter? Or simply just Qi'ra's daughter?
jabberwalkie09
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

dromo07 said:

His voice actually would be great for thrawn. I do hope he is used as a bridge between the empire and first order only problem with it being thrawn is that we have yet to know how he survives his encounter with Ezra but that could get hashed out later I'm sure.

It would also be the first character that would successfully jump from small screen to big screen in the new canon.
Chopper says go to hell.

Meh an astromech rolling through the background as a cameo isn't what I meant by successful.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I think its possible that they use some Solo stuff in this movie. But Solo also had the focus on the heroes can be anyone theme, and this theory does undercut that a bit. It also makes Rey's ease with the force even more inexplicable.

This reminds me, and is a bit off topic, but if they do have a Solo sequel, I bet Jyn Erso is in it. She had to end up in imperial prison somehow...
bobinator
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Let's be honest, we're all just fighting for second place. This was ended when Alias threw out Duel of the Fates.
Yeah, I really lean toward the title have a finality to it which is another thing that makes this a great idea.
amercer
AG
dromo07 said:

Quote:

what did they say?

That they drifted apart after Ben was lost. Which is different than "we broke up because you were banging your mobster ex-girlfriend"

Also, it's a convoluted way to retcon half of what Kylo said. He didn't just say her parents were nobodies, he said they were nobodies that sold her into slavery for drinking money. If the second part is a lie, there's no need to go to great lengths to make the first part "true"
bobinator
AG
I would assume that Han hooking up with someone else happened after they drifted apart not that it was the reason for it.
TCTTS
AG
But if they drifted apart because Ben when dark, and then Han hooked up with Qi'ra after that, I don't think Rey's age checks out in relation to how old Ben looked when he turned. Then again, I guess Ben could have been 15 or so in those flashbacks? And if Rey is 19 or so when we meet her, and Kylo 35-ish, I guess it might actually check out...
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

My only thought on this Han/Qi'ra theory is how old would Qi'ra be when she gave birth to Rey? I am thinking Qi'ra would be in her mid 40's? I mean it isn't impossible, but...

Would it work better is Rey was Han/Qi'ra's granddaughter? Or simply just Qi'ra's daughter?

Well Han was born in 32 BBY originally....but that was retconned to 29 BBY in this trilogy. Meaning he was 29 in Star Wars and Luke and Leia were 19.

TFA is 34 years ABY meaning Han is 63 at the time of TFA/TLJ ...but played by a 74 year old

Now assuming Qi'ra is about the same age as Han (?) and assuming Rey is 10 years younger than Kylo who is 29 in TFA/TLJ (which has been stated by Lucasfilm people) that means....

Han had Kylo at age 34 with 24 year old Leia.

And for this theory to work Qi'ra and Han would to have been 44 when she was born. Not impossible.

Flashdiaz
AG
So Leia, Han and Q'ra relationship will turn into a Friends story arc to explain Rey?

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Checks out.

TCTTS
AG
Damn it, that actually really works and solves this even more.

- Ben turns at 15 or so.

- Han and Leia break up essentially because of that.

- Han goes back to his first love, Qi'ra.

- Han and Qi'ra have Rey.

- Han somehow loses Rey (as a baby), likely somehow due to Qi'ra being in bad with the wrong people.

- Rey ends up an orphan.

- Rey's "parents" can still be "filthy junk traders" this way.

Same basic theory, only Han doesn't doesn't cheat on Leia in this version.

Also, it's worth noting that Rey's character's original name in earlier drafts was "Kira."
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I didn't really try and nail down the timeline to see how well it worked, but I'm sure you could handwave all that away if you really wanted to.

I'm still like 95% behind the idea that Rey's parents won't even be talked about in this movie.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

And for this theory to work Qi'ra and Han would to have been 44 when she was born. Not impossible.

It's Star Wars. You're telling me it's impossible for a 44 year-old woman to have a child in this galaxy? She also doesn't have to be Han's exact same age.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

It's Star Wars. You're telling me it's impossible for a 44 year-old woman to have a child in this galaxy?
I said NOT impossible.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

Damn it, that actually really works and solves this even more.

- Ben turns at 15 or so.

- Han and Leia break up essentially because of that.

- Han goes back to his first love, Qi'ra.

- Han and Qi'ra have Rey.

- Han somehow loses Rey (as a baby), likely somehow due to Qi'ra being in bad with the wrong people.

- Rey ends up an orphan.

- Rey's "parents" can still be "filthy junk traders" this way.

Same basic theory, only Han doesn't doesn't cheat on Leia in this version.

Also, it's worth noting that Rey's character's original name in earlier drafts was "Kira."

No Rey is 10 years younger then Kylo - would have to be before he turns.
TCTTS
AG
Damn it. My bad.
TCTTS
AG
Dang. Is that confirmed?
Dro07
AG
but is it umpossible?
Dro07
AG
Ill have to go back and watch. for some reason i could have sworn that something happened before he turned that caused them to start drifting apart.
bobinator
AG
I hope the opening crawl gives, in extreme detail, the background of Rey's parents and then at the end is like "okay? now let's move on to some new stuff..."
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

Dang. Is that confirmed?

It was if you consider Pablo Hidalgo (executive producer of Lucasfilm and later consultant and Lucasfilm Story Group original member ) to be reliable.

bobinator
AG
What if not everyone is counting in Earth years?
Dro07
First Page Last Page
Page 11 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.