*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

739,981 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
kraut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm betting they pull from the "Aftermath: Empire's End" for the back story of how the First Order began and possibly who Ray is.

There are hints of it in the other canon books, but that one in particular talks about the battle of Jakku, how the Emperor had a contingency plan and how he had a secret lab/base on Jakku.

I put the above in spoiler tags because the information comes from books considered canon, not anything shown on film yet.
bobinator
AG
Of all the things I do care about, how the first order came to be isn't really one of them. Am I alone there?

Like "remnants of the empire" is really all the backstory I need there to be fine with it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed.

Though, what I'd really like to see is how the galaxy transitioned from the Empire to the New Republic.
bobinator
AG
Poorly, it seems
exitone
AG
I wonder how involved Pablo Hidalgo is with this Episode 9 script. My guess is probably more than ever. It seems like they need him quite heavily in the decision making process to ensure there is consistency and all the pieces fit among the movies, cartoons, books and games that touch on what all will be wrapped up in ep 9.
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Agreed.

Though, what I'd really like to see is how the galaxy transitioned from the Empire to the New Republic.

Sounds like a political thriller.
TCTTS
AG
All these clone theories are officially off the rails, but I'm here for each and every one of them...

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a28855490/star-wars-dark-rey-knights-of-ren-theory/
Flashdiaz
AG
Whoah... that could be awesome (from a StarWars nerd point of view)
amercer
AG
CJS4715 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Agreed.

Sounds like a political thriller.

Probably a trade war.

That would get both forum 13 & 16 fired up.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

All these clone theories are officially off the rails, but I'm here for each and every one of them...

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a28855490/star-wars-dark-rey-knights-of-ren-theory/
please, not you too
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
It continues to baffle me that Internet journalism for major publications has become "Some guy on Reddit said. "
SpreadsheetAg
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

It continues to baffle me that Internet journalism for major publications has become "Some guy on Reddit said. "

Amen
bobinator
AG
I'm normally one to complain about the state of affairs in journalism, but in this case it's just a blog post. It's not like they're reporting something so it doesn't really bother me.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
It's probably just the former newspaper guy in me. Sort of like the Gotham in Bruce Wayne when he sees that a-hole Superman getting praise even though he could burn the whole place down if he wanted.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If Rey is a clone, what if Palps Order 66'ed her, hence Dark Rey?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I wish I could get paid to rip off people's theories online.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Spoilers/potential spoilers for basically the whole D23 footage if you want to read them.

https://makingstarwars.net/2019/08/huge-rumors-sith-knives-out-reys-parents-threepios-red-eyes-sith-rey-wayfinders-and-more-explained/
Malachi Constant
AG
111 days until the end of the Skywalker story.
TCTTS
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Spoilers/potential spoilers for basically the whole D23 footage if you want to read them.

https://makingstarwars.net/2019/08/huge-rumors-sith-knives-out-reys-parents-threepios-red-eyes-sith-rey-wayfinders-and-more-explained/

Three things:

1) I've been reading Making Star Wars spoilers, along with a few others, throughout the duration of production, but that's the first report I've truly regretted reading. Nothing huge there, obviously, but it's still a level of detail I didn't want to know. With only four months to go, that's probably it for me in terms of spoilers.

2) Still, you have to admit that it's definitely looking like Palpatine is responsible for Rey's existence, especially if that report is true.

3) All that said... this movie really is starting to sound legitimately great; like the adventure many of us wanted the past two movies to be. For better or worse, my cautious optimism is slowly but surely turning into giddy optimism...
maroon man
S
Thank you for posting that ^...it kept me from clicking the spoilerized post. I would have done it if not for your #1 on Three things.

TCTTS
RebAg13
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I just realized I want the movie to start with a flashback to Palpatine being thrown down the DS shaft by Vader but then it turns into his POV ala Gandalf vs. the Balrog in TTT.

Liquid Wrench
Without going into any details, does Making StarWars have a credible history on this kind of stuff?
TCTTS
AG
Yes. They're the most credible Star Wars spoiler resource there is. They got a ton right on the past two movies and if they don't know something 100% they're really good about saying so and and being honest about it. They never report anything as gospel, and it's never about playing the scoop game or anything like that. They basically relay what they're hearing from sources, explain what context they do or don't have, and kind of piece it all together in "real time" in their reports. Granted, the site itself is a bit of a mess, and the site owner's writing can be confusing as hell sometimes, but he's basically just some dad / massive Star Wars fan with a couple of Lucasfilm connections who loves doing what he does. He's not a journalist by any means, and doesn't pretend to be.
Liquid Wrench
Yeah, I noticed he was careful to say this wasn't gospel and was just what he was hearing in addition to what he's seen up to now.
Liquid Wrench
This is just my personal opinion/speculation, but I'll go ahead and use spoiler tags for people who are trying to avoid any rumors/theories.

I'm not a gamer, but I've watched all of the KOTR trailers and videos I can find on YouTube and read some of the lore, and find that world pretty intriguing. Depending on how they bring Palpatine back, I wonder if the purpose is to transition the movies-only audience (like me) to a kind of EU where souls can be transferred/reincarnated, and sort of unlock the potential for stories connecting anywhere in time and space. They already introduced The Force Bond, and apparently still-developing Force ability of Jedis to communicate from the afterlife or across physical distances.

So, for the next phase - and we know Star Wars sagas will never end after what Disney paid for the rights to the universe - they either go into the building of a new republic, or are opening up the ability to get into all kinds of stories beyond the timeline and constructs we've known so far. Not sure where it's going, but if they get anywhere near as weird as some of the rumors/theories we've been discussing, I think this installment has to be pretty pivotal in transitioning the screen-only audience into a kind of expanded universe. I know there's been a lot of criticism of Kennedy for maybe not having a central plan, but the folks at corporate have to know much is riding on this to keep building an audience for the new platform and future features. All of which makes me a little excited to see what kind of curves they throw into this film.

I also wonder if we'll see any major redefinition or course correction of the force, like midichlorians rocked our world in '99.

So I guess Jar Jar really could end up being a lot more central than any of us imagined.
amercer
AG
Belton Ag
AG
Damn. I don't really want to bail on this thread with almost 4 months to go, but it's looking more and more like I will. I don't mind some mild spoilers and theory discussion but I don't want to know the whole plot before I see it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Time to start the Rise of Skywalker - Book Readers Only thread
Gigem314
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I just realized I want the movie to start with a flashback to Palpatine being thrown down the DS shaft by Vader but then it turns into his POV ala Gandalf vs. the Balrog in TTT.

"Darkness took me..."
TCTTS
AG
Belton Ag said:

Damn. I don't really want to bail on this thread with almost 4 months to go, but it's looking more and more like I will. I don't mind some mild spoilers and theory discussion but I don't want to know the whole plot before I see it.

If it's any consolation, even the spoilers I'm "complaining" about are nothing in the grand scheme of the plot. I think I know the general order of planets visited, an extremely vague idea of what the inciting incident is, and a tiny nugget about *one* of the final fights. That's it, really. I doubt anyone is going to be bringing much more than that to this thread, and any of that stuff will obviously remain behind spoiler text. That said, I get not wanting to risk it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Gigem314 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

"Darkness took me..."
I am Palpatine the Ghost. And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
Belton Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

Belton Ag said:

If it's any consolation, even the spoilers I'm "complaining" about are nothing in the grand scheme of the plot. I think I know the general order of planets visited, an extremely vague idea of what the inciting incident is, and a tiny nugget about *one* of the final fights. That's it, really. I doubt anyone is going to be bringing much more than that to this thread, and any of that stuff will obviously remain behind spoiler text. That said, I get not wanting to risk it.
The issue I guess is deciding whether or not to click the spoiler tag. The one from earlier today actually wasn't all that much of a spoiler and I think is well within reason to discuss openly.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 103 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.