Sicario 2: Soldado

29,948 Views | 225 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by J_Landes89
HvilleAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well I certainly didn't intend to create such a storm with my comment about the kid's accuracy.

In the end I think the kid caved to the pressure and shot him, but then felt guilt and jumped off of the truck. He didn't leave the cartel though, so he must have found a way to overcome the guilt (I'm sure a few rolls of cash did the trick).

Del Toro got lucky and survived, and in the process saw a spark in this young kid who was willing to kill but hated the system that asked him to do it. Prime conditions to train a new sicario.

As for the accuracy part, I consider myself fairly proficient with handguns having grown up around them and occasionally making it to the range. If I had never had that exposure, and as a pimply-faced teenager was asked to kill a man, I'd have so much adrenaline pumping through my veins I'm not sure I'd hit the broadside of a '67 Cadillac. I'm honestly impressed the kid hit his head area, no matter how "point blank" he was. I think that is ultimately what allowed Del Toro's character to survive.
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

So from a few feet away, staring at the profile of someone's head, you would have a hard time hitting their face with a 9?
I have no doubt you can blow somebody's face off from a few feet away. Hell, you might even get lucky and hit soft tissue and your victim might survive like in the movie.

But yes, I would have a hard time (a very hard time) attempting a non-lethal head shot. And so would you.
JD Shellnut
AG
"Del Toro got lucky and survived, and in the process saw a spark in this young kid who was willing to kill but hated the system that asked him to do it. Prime conditions to train a new sicario."

I hope to Hell this isn't the plot of the 3rd installment. Talk about cheesy.
Boo Weekley
Bunk Moreland said:

It's not that you could or couldn't from a few feet way. It's that choosing not to hit him in his brain doesn't equal "he lives." It would still be a major gamble. There is zero logic to the "he shot him so he wouldn't kill him(or even so he hoped he wouldn't kill him) storyline.

Also, wasn't he covered up with a hood when shot? The kid couldn't see his profile. And even though I hate Business Insider with a passion, they did interview the director about it and here was his response:

Quote:

"I approached that scene realistically," Sollima told Business Insider, noting that it's shot exactly how screenwriter Taylor Sheridan ("Sicario," "Hell or High Water") wrote it. "We used a caliber of gun where it's possible that you are going to survive. Then we did an analysis of what can happen. We discussed with consultants and it was really important to be sure that the camera angle showed where exactly he was shot. You can survive if you're really lucky."

https://www.businessinsider.com/sicario-sequel-director-explains-shocking-moment-to-benicio-del-toro-character-2018-7
Ok agree to disagree on whether or not it's hard to miss the brain from a few feet away, with or without your face wrapped up. For the last time, this theory is very far fetched and likely wrong, but I do not see how Sheridan shoots it down at all.

Here's the scene. As soon as I saw where he was shot in the theater months ago, I wondered if he was going to survive as it wasn't a true "head shot" (And I just had a hard time believing they would kill off Alejandro). I still thought he would likely bleed out though.

The main thing I take issue with is condescending responses like Belton Ag's "missing the brain from a few feet away is just as crazy absurd as shooting a gun out of someone's hand". If you have spent any time shooting handguns, you know that is a ridiculous statement.
Boo Weekley
HvilleAggie said:

Well I certainly didn't intend to create such a storm with my comment about the kid's accuracy.

In the end I think the kid caved to the pressure and shot him, but then felt guilt and jumped off of the truck. He didn't leave the cartel though, so he must have found a way to overcome the guilt (I'm sure a few rolls of cash did the trick).

Del Toro got lucky and survived, and in the process saw a spark in this young kid who was willing to kill but hated the system that asked him to do it. Prime conditions to train a new sicario.

As for the accuracy part, I consider myself fairly proficient with handguns having grown up around them and occasionally making it to the range. If I had never had that exposure, and as a pimply-faced teenager was asked to kill a man, I'd have so much adrenaline pumping through my veins I'm not sure I'd hit the broadside of a '67 Cadillac. I'm honestly impressed the kid hit his head area, no matter how "point blank" he was. I think that is ultimately what allowed Del Toro's character to survive.
This is a great point, but movies are almost never take it to this level of realism. I just posted the clip. I kind of wish they had shown his hand shaking, because unless he was very well versed with handguns (and a potential stone cold sicario mentally), in real life he'd be trembling like a mofo. Most of the shooting in these Sicario movies is pretty unrealistic to be honest. If it were trying to be realistic, everyone would miss far more often. This goes for just about all movies involving shootouts.
Boo Weekley

Nvmd...I've been contributing enough to the derail, everyone carry on...
mavsfan4ever
AG
TCTTS said:

Wait, do some of you think that the kid was actually trying to keep del Toro's character alive?

That kid had every intention of killing him. And felt horrible for doing so afterward.

That the kid "missed" and that del Toro's character lived is pure chance/movie magic.

There's absolutely no way that kid was aiming to somehow keep del Toro's character alive.

I'm the one that brought it up by asking a question. I dont think the kid meant to shoot him in the cheek. But if he did mean to kill him, then the ending, especially Del toro's line, makes absolutely no ****ing sense. I loved the movie but the endit was really wtf.

I was trying to make sense out of the ending and thus asked if the kid tried to not kill him.
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

The main thing I take issue with is condescending responses like Belton Ag's "missing the brain from a few feet away is just as crazy absurd as shooting a gun out of someone's hand". If you have spent any time shooting handguns, you know that is a ridiculous statement.
I love how you put quotes on that sentence as if that's exactly what I said.

The only thing you're right about is that this is a derail, and not worth pursuing further. Good luck in your future endeavors shooting the cheeks off of the bad guys of the world.

Boo Weekley
Here's an article that seems to think he could have intentionally shot to avoid the brain and give Alejandro a snowball's chance in hell at surviving (he obviously felt bad afterwards bc he knew he very likely killed the guy even though he shot him through the jaw)...

https://screenrant.com/sicario-2-ending-explained-sicario-3-setup/2/

Quote:

But what happens on the US side of the border is only half of Sicario: Day of the Soldado's ending: we have Alejandro's survival to contend with. Although he's presumed dead, the shot by Miguel Hernandez - the up-and-coming smuggler seen throughout the film - was only a flesh wound (albeit a close call). It's not stated explicitly, but it appears that the Miguel spared Alejandro's life, shooting him in the jaw and leading to serious blood loss but nothing fatal.

Quote:

The final scene of Sicario 2 takes place one year after the main events of the film, picking up with Miguel now fully embodying his gang member position: his arms are covered in tattoos, his hair crew cut, and his clothing chequered. He goes to visit his cousin's work in the mall, only to be confronted by Alejandro, sporting only a small scar as a reminder of their previous encounter. At first fearful, it's clear Alejandro has no revenge plan on Miguel: "you want to be a Sicario?" he asks, then closes the door.

Even for the frank presentation of Sicario, this is a highly ambiguous endnote. The implication, of course, is that Alejandro recognizes the act of compassion and sees Miguel as a potential student. He does, after all, have the stomach to stand against authority even while looking to be part of it, just as Alejandro has been across the previous two movies.

The ending of Sicario 2 suggests that going into Sicario 3, we can expect Alejandro to have an apprentice of sorts, someone to help him in his quest for Reyes from the inside.

Call it ridiculous all you want...but it's not just limited to 1-2 Texags posters. I have seen way more far fetched things in movies aiming for realism. Hell, the ending to "Lone Survivor" is super far fetched...but apparently really happened.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Here's an article that seems to think he could have intentionally shot to avoid the brain and give Alejandro a snowball's chance in hell at surviving (he obviously felt bad afterwards bc he knew he very likely killed the guy even though he shot him through the jaw)...

https://screenrant.com/sicario-2-ending-explained-sicario-3-setup/2/

Quote:

But what happens on the US side of the border is only half of Sicario: Day of the Soldado's ending: we have Alejandro's survival to contend with. Although he's presumed dead, the shot by Miguel Hernandez - the up-and-coming smuggler seen throughout the film - was only a flesh wound (albeit a close call). It's not stated explicitly, but it appears that the Miguel spared Alejandro's life, shooting him in the jaw and leading to serious blood loss but nothing fatal.

Quote:

The final scene of Sicario 2 takes place one year after the main events of the film, picking up with Miguel now fully embodying his gang member position: his arms are covered in tattoos, his hair crew cut, and his clothing chequered. He goes to visit his cousin's work in the mall, only to be confronted by Alejandro, sporting only a small scar as a reminder of their previous encounter. At first fearful, it's clear Alejandro has no revenge plan on Miguel: "you want to be a Sicario?" he asks, then closes the door.

Even for the frank presentation of Sicario, this is a highly ambiguous endnote. The implication, of course, is that Alejandro recognizes the act of compassion and sees Miguel as a potential student. He does, after all, have the stomach to stand against authority even while looking to be part of it, just as Alejandro has been across the previous two movies.

The ending of Sicario 2 suggests that going into Sicario 3, we can expect Alejandro to have an apprentice of sorts, someone to help him in his quest for Reyes from the inside.

Call it ridiculous all you want...but it's not just limited to 1-2 Texags posters. I have seen way more far fetched things in movies aiming for realism. Hell, the ending to "Lone Survivor" is super far fetched...but apparently really happened.

Oh, it's ridiculous.
Eliminatus
AG
FINALLY got around to watching the whole thing. First time turned into a pretty intense Netflix and chill and just now revisited the movie.

I thought it was fantastic all around. A few minor points like tracking sunrise vs number of minutes spoken, etc.

I actually enjoyed the whole story. Even the ending. Yall have to remember that Alejandro has been COMPLETELY cut off from everyone and everything. Arguably betrayed. His taking of the Miguel I saw as recognizing someone who was on the inside but still young and could be intimidated. He isn't worried about compassion or other such nonsense. He is fighting a war. Always ahs been. He is crafting a weapon in Miguel. Using him as a tool to further his own means. Nothing else.

At least that was my take on it and never even considered anything else until I read it here.

Can't wait for part three.
Eliminatus
AG
Saw this again tonight and wondered if any of you insiders had any info or nuggets on a third installment? The Googles was less than helpful with dated guesses at best.

Really want to see a conclusion to this. I stand by my post above and thought Soldado was fantastic...IF they can tie it off neatly in a third movie.
TCTTS
AG
Via a friend who talked directly to the production company a few months back, they *are* developing a third movie, but were having trouble landing on a premise. The idea was to hire a writer to do an initial pass that Sheridan would ultimately rewrite, as he's incredibly busy right now and won't come back aboard until most of the heavy lifting is done. But I know they've cycled through at least a couple writers and weren't happy with what they delivered. Hopefully they've made some progress, though, and are well are their way by now.
Eliminatus
AG
Thanks for the heads-up.
TequilaMockingbird
I love both movies and can't wait for the third.

I wonder if Alejandro will be of the mindset to seek revenge from Matt (Brolin), or will they resolve that issue and go another direction? Also, I've read they really want to bring Emily Blunt back into the fold.

Lots of intriguing possibilities.
DallasTeleAg
I loved the first one. The entire el Paso to Juarez and back scene is just film making at its best.

The second one was okay, but not at the level of the first. Also... no Emily Blunt made me sad.
J_Landes89
AG
Just watched again tonight on FX...

Still annoyed at the last few scenes, almost like they messed up on timing or just didnt care about realness of the shots, but good movies

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.