Sicario 2: Soldado

30,072 Views | 225 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by J_Landes89
phatpat21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just got out and absolutely freaking loved it! So much happening, I might need to go a second time as some of y'all have
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Saw it last night. Really enjoyed it. Del Toro is great in that role.
Ending wasn't great and it wasn't nearly as good as the first one, but it's definitely a fun flick.
Belton Ag
AG
This movie is fantastic, as I thought it would be. Del Toro is one of the best actors working today, and Sheridan one of the best writers. With Brolin, they make a great team.
MaroonStain
AG
Saw this yesterday and I thought it was juuust under the first movie. Time definitely went by quickly.
RadAg14
AG
This definitely surprised me. That was as intense as the bridge sequence in the first film. Del Toro and Brolin
TCTTS
AG
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

I can just see it now...

"I let my home planet die, and I won't make that mistake again. With the Infinity Stones, I can finally build the wall."
TequilaMockingbird
I agree it was good, but not quite as good as the first. I definitely agree they set up another one.
Post removed:
by user
TresPuertas
AG
Reviving this thread for the BluRay/PPV crowd.

Just finished it and loved it.

Immediately afterwards I found this thread and read it from top to bottom and agree with a lot.

Here are a couple of things I didn't see mentioned:

I feel like I can enjoy both without making too many comparisons. The first thing i Thought when I read a lot of the comments on here was The Pacific vs. Band of brothers. Both Sicario movies stand on their own. While it's easy to compare the two it's. It really not necessary because the stories aren't really connected The true subject matter of each of these films are pretty different and can exist independent from one another. Like someone said earlier, this wasn't a sequel per se, just another story existing in the same world.

As much as Emily Blunt's character made me grind my teeth in frustration, I recognize her necessity. The audience needed her to personify the navet of the average Viewer to the real situation on the border. Having established that and essentially swatted that kind of attitude to half court in the first movie, the filmmakers were able to run with the chaos and necessity of it to get real results on the border.

I'm still trying to reconcile what the last scene meant. When Alejandro asked the kid about wanting to be a Sicario, I honestly ran through what that could mean and where his situation has taken him

Anyway, didn't see much of that discussed, but again, great movie.
Boo Weekley
TresPuertas said:

I'm still trying to reconcile what the last scene meant. When Alejandro asked the kid about wanting to be a Sicario, I honestly ran through what that could mean and where his situation has taken him

Watched it for a second time last night and still love the movie. I think I like both equally, even though they are different and do not seem too closely related.

Re: the last scene...

I am trying to figure that out as well. At first I thought maybe he is going to try to use the kid to get to the cartel coyotes in an attempt to track down Isabel's whereabouts, but then I remembered a year had gone by since everything went down. By that point, a kidnapped kid is either dead or back with her family by then. I also wonder if we are to assume that he has a strong hunch the kid shot him in the face to maximize chances of survival and may have that sicario "instinct" and that is what prompted him to track him down and we may see them working as a team of sorts to infiltrate the cartels? One thing is for sure, the kid did not look very convincing at the end as a hardened gangster and I am hoping before the 3rd installment he hits both puberty and the gym.
MASAXET
AG
Just bumping because I finally saw it and really enjoyed the film. Great performances
AgFB
AG
Just watched it and really thought it was great. I'm interested to see what direction they go next.

And no Emily Blunt? COME ON
@rufftamu
Jim01
AG
Just got around to seeing it and really enjoyed it. Can't wait for a third one. Brolin and Del Toro are just nails in these movies.
Phat32
AG
Enjoyed it, but wish they had gone with more of the cartel smuggling terrorists thing instead of basically blowing it off with one line 2/3 of the way through the movie.

For the liberals criticizing the movie...do they really think it's all sunshine and unicorn farts at the border?
CyclingAg82
AG
Boo Weekley said:

TresPuertas said:

Watched it for a second time last night and still love the movie. I think I like both equally, even though they are different and do not seem too closely related.

Re: the last scene...

JMO but I think the third will be set up as an effort to find the girl - maybe payback to Matt Graver for the betrayal.....although I cannot reconcile that completely.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Just saw this last night and really liked it.

After finishing it, I started reading reviews and reading up on the ending. I read one review that said that the young kid shot Del Toro meant to shoot him in the cheek so that he could live. And that Del Toro recognized this and that's why he sought him out to be a Sicario.

That's complete BS, right?
FL_Ag1998
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

After finishing it, I started reading reviews and reading up on the ending. I read one review that said that the young kid shot Del Toro meant to shoot him in the cheek so that he could live. And that Del Toro recognized this and that's why he sought him out to be a Sicario.

Uh, yeah. Just think about that scenario. You've gotta be stretch armstrong to come to that conclusion.
Ag 11
AG
I watched both again last night back to back. I think the first one is so much better than the second.
Boo Weekley
FL_Ag1998 said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Uh, yeah. Just think about that scenario. You've gotta be stretch armstrong to come to that conclusion.

I could see it actually. Same "possible" theory I came up with above. Not like he knew he would live, but he could have aimed for front lower face area to at least maximize the chances.

But I think the Moreno likely scenario may be that there is something that will be revealed in the third installment that helps us make sense of the ending.
bam02
AG
Boo Weekley said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

mavsfan4ever said:

I could see it actually. Same "possible" theory I came up with above. Not like he knew he would live, but he could have aimed for front lower face area to at least maximize the chances.

But I think the Moreno likely scenario may be that there is something that will be revealed in the third installment that helps us make sense of the ending.

I can't see that at all. Just look at what a little ****** bag the kid was at the end. He didn't have any good intentions.
Boo Weekley
bam02 said:

Boo Weekley said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

mavsfan4ever said:

I can't see that at all. Just look at what a little ****** bag the kid was at the end. He didn't have any good intentions.

That's definitely how it looks and what we're led to believe for sure. But movies are all about surprises. Maybe the kid is in a position where he literally has to play the gang banging game of he or his fam die? I'm with you though. I'm just scatter shooting trying to make sense of "so you want to be a sicario huh?". It doesn't make sense at face value.
bam02
AG
I took that question more as asking "do you think you're a tough guy?" before whooping someone's ass. That is t as interesting of a plot line, though.
HvilleAggie
AG
Finally saw this after months of avoiding this thread!

I'm sorry but nobody that has never fired a gun before can "aim for the cheek". The kid thought he killed a guy, was disgusted with himself and so he jumped off of the truck, but then apparently stuck with the cartel ways after all as the tattoos and nonchalant attitude in the mall food court are supposed to suggest.

Very disappointed in the final lines though, as they came out of nowhere. Del Toro is now going to take him under his wing?? I guess I could prescribe to the idea that the kid has the instinct to survive, and maybe he can mold it.

All in all, fun flick! Will watch again!
Duncan Idaho
Yeah I took it as "well you played the stupid games (poorly), now here is your stupid prize.

Not that he was the broom kid in last Jedi.
Duncan Idaho
Boo Weekley said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Is this a thing that is happening?
Jim01
AG
Agreed. I kind of liked the shock of Del Toro dying and felt like it would have been a great change in direction to have the third movie be about the cartel daughter and the teenage boy. I was a bit dissappointed in the "Oh no, wait! He's alive!" move. But Del Toro is so great I can't be mad at it.
Bunk Moreland
Nothing official, but the director who did Soldado was told there would be 3 total and Sheridan has basically said if there's another story to be told in that world he'd do it, but he has to have a story.

He also was adamant that it's not the same thing over and over. Wants all 3 to be standalone movies telling different stories with some of the same characters existing in the same world.
Duncan Idaho
Bunk Moreland said:

Nothing official, but the director who did Soldado was told there would be 3 total and Sheridan has basically said if there's another story to be told in that world he'd do it, but he has to have a story.

He also was adamant that it's not the same thing over and over. Wants all 3 to be standalone movies telling different stories with some of the same characters existing in the same world.

So he want to make

El Cable:la pelcula 1-3
Boo Weekley
HvilleAggie said:

I'm sorry but nobody that has never fired a gun before can "aim for the cheek".
Not trying to be an internet tough guy, but with just a basic level of training and experience with handguns, from a few feet (or even yards) away, looking at the profile of someone's head, you can definitely shoot the front of their face. Doesn't have to be the cheek, just has to miss the brain/spinal cord. Could have been around the nose area, the chin area, cheek etc. Is the non-brain area much smaller than the brain area? I am just saying, if I "had to" kill some guy or I was going to be killed by the cartel, and I wanted to maximize his chances of survival, I'd try not to hit the brain. That is super easy from close range if you're actually aiming.

Maybe I am misremembering and need to rewatch, but the kid shot him at almost point blank range right? It would be pretty far fetched if he were 10-15 yards away obviously and would be bordering into "Carl from Walking Dead" territory on the ridiculousness scale.

Again, this is just one plausible explanation that I am not even saying is probable.

If you couldn't avoid the brain area of this head from a few feet/yds away to at least give the guy a shot at living, I would be more than happy to take you to the range for your first shooting lesson...jk jk

Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

Not trying to be an internet tough guy, but with just a basic level of training and experience with handguns, from a few feet (or even yards) away, looking at the profile of someone's head, you can definitely shoot the front of their face. Doesn't have to be the cheek, just has to miss the brain/spinal cord. Could have been around the nose area, the chin area, cheek etc. Is the non-brain area much smaller than the brain area? I am just saying, if I "had to" kill some guy or I was going to be killed by the cartel, and I wanted to maximize his chances of survival, I'd try not to hit the brain. That is super easy from close range if you're actually aiming.
This is "shoot the guns out of their hands" level of nuttiness.
Boo Weekley
Belton Ag said:

Quote:

This is "shoot the guns out of their hands" level of nuttiness.
So from a few feet away, staring at the profile of someone's head, you would have a hard time hitting their face with a 9?

I get that that plot twist is pretty "out there" but that would be very easy to do from near point blank range. Now if the kid is 5 or 10 yards back (he may have been, but i seem to remember it being a very close shot) then it would be "Carl from Walking Dead blasting zombie's heads on the run from 15 yards away" absurd...which is probably less ridiculous than the "shooting the gun out of the hand" scenario you described.

Surely a guy named "BeltonAg" has enough firearms experience to land a shot in a face-sized area from a couple feet away? Tons of people have survived gunshots to the face...brain, not so much.

For example, from this range you couldn't avoid his brain if using the sights on a pistol (I think the kid was even closer out in the desert)?

TCTTS
AG
Wait, do some of you think that the kid was actually trying to keep del Toro's character alive?

That kid had every intention of killing him. And felt horrible for doing so afterward.

That the kid "missed" and that del Toro's character lived is pure chance/movie magic.

There's absolutely no way that kid was aiming to somehow keep del Toro's character alive.
Boo Weekley
TCTTS said:

Wait, do some of you think that the kid was actually trying to keep del Toro's character alive?

That kid had every intention of killing him. And felt horrible for doing so afterward.

That the kid "missed" and that del Toro's character lived is pure chance/movie magic.

There's absolutely no way that kid was aiming to somehow keep del Toro's character alive.
No, no one thinks that...it's just an off-the-wall theory I, and some others on the internet apparently have as a distant possibility that may explain his encounter at the very end. He doesn't seem upset at the kid or like he wants to kill him. The tone in which he says "so you want to be a Sicario" made me think they may work together in some way.

Maybe he is going to use the kid and potentially team up with him to work the cartels to try to track down the girl. That may be an "out there" theory as well...I don't know...just trying to make sense of the strange ending which will probably be explained in the next movie.

At this point I am just arguing with the people who think it would be hard to avoid the brain from super close range with a pistol.
Bunk Moreland
It's not that you could or couldn't from a few feet way. It's that choosing not to hit him in his brain doesn't equal "he lives." It would still be a major gamble. There is zero logic to the "he shot him so he wouldn't kill him(or even so he hoped he wouldn't kill him) storyline.

Also, wasn't he covered up with a hood when shot? The kid couldn't see his profile. And even though I hate Business Insider with a passion, they did interview the director about it and here was his response:

Quote:

"I approached that scene realistically," Sollima told Business Insider, noting that it's shot exactly how screenwriter Taylor Sheridan ("Sicario," "Hell or High Water") wrote it. "We used a caliber of gun where it's possible that you are going to survive. Then we did an analysis of what can happen. We discussed with consultants and it was really important to be sure that the camera angle showed where exactly he was shot. You can survive if you're really lucky."

https://www.businessinsider.com/sicario-sequel-director-explains-shocking-moment-to-benicio-del-toro-character-2018-7

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.