****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,618 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When you look at it from that perspective (the characters) more than the plot itself, it was deeply satisfying for each of them. They all feel right. One could even say it was TOO happy an ending, but I have no complaints in that department.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sam talking about democracy...
Furlock Bones
AG
so who of the season 8 defenders is ready to admit that D&D trashed this whole thing?

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

Anyone else think it was odd when Bran mentioned there was no master of whispers? Would literally be the most pointless job in Westeros.
Come to think of it, as the Three Eyed Raven, would Bran have the power to train a new 3ER? If so, that would be a pretty great way to choose the next leader of Westeros.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Why do you need people to agree with you?
BallerStaf2003
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Why does Jon have to take the black when Sansa and Bran rule? The unsullied left. Sooooo.... why?
Because they're Starks, and they gave their word.

Yeah obviously.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Here we go again.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Don't ask questions you don't want answered, then.
BallerStaf2003
AG
So the entire purpose of Jon being a Targaryen was to quickly fuel Dany's temper tantrum?

And we never find out Tyrion is a Targaryen?

Still can't believe the episode literally had 30 minutes of Tyrion talking. The Tyrion show when he couldn't be more incompetent to that point.

It's like Tyrion became Rick Grimes on steroids.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Don't ask questions you don't want answered, then. Or just don't be a dick.

Didn't you just criticize someone for attacking posters and name calling? You should follow your own advice.
trueaggie2782
AG
I feel like it's popular to not form your own opinion anymore due to the off chance that you'll get berrated by the masses who just like to go with the flow. Don't get me wrong. Some people really hated how this series finished up, but I believe more people than are admitting are actually fine with how the series closed off. They're just afraid that if they admit it, they'll be crucified by the keyboard warriors and co-workers. With that said, I enjoyed the last season for what it was...entertainment. Was I questioning some artistic decisions at times? Of course. I do on most shows I watch. That doesn't mean that the show was any less entertaining for me. This is one show that I'll keep in my collection and probably watch in it's entirety every couple of years.

P.S. Nickleback's music isn't nearly as bad as advertised.
Pendragon12
AG
Furlock Bones said:

so who of the season 8 defenders is ready to admit that D&D trashed this whole thing?

My only complaint was that these last two seasons were rushed. 8 more than 7, but 7 had some WTF moments as well for the sake of time.

I have no issue with the way they landed this monster. And even though it was rushed, I can see what they were attempting to accomplish throughout this season.

However, it is clear that D&D struggled without GRRM's source work. But I still didn't hate the season, nor did I hate their execution of it all. Could it have been better? Yes. And I think it would have felt better if they didn't have nearly 2 years of anticipation...it was bound to underwhelm with that timeline.

So, to me, "trashed" is too harsh. The season could have been better, but I don't think they ruined the series. I plan on rewatching the whole series to give this last season a fair judgement with it all wrapped in with the others.
Furlock Bones
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Why do you need people to agree with you? Insecure much?
dude, you've already spent i don't know how many posts just since last night trying to convince everyone how great it was.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

OldShadeOfBlue said:

Anyone else think it was odd when Bran mentioned there was no master of whispers? Would literally be the most pointless job in Westeros.
Come to think of it, as the Three Eyed Raven, would Bran have the power to train a new 3ER? If so, that would be a pretty great way to choose the next leader of Westeros.

No. I know your knowledge of the show is very surface level, but he really shouldn't be able to be the 3ER anymore.

Why? All the weirwood trees south of Riverrun were chopped down thousands of years ago. He has nothing to link to to warg.

I'm sure he can still wary into ravens and what not, but he needs the trees.
TX_AG_10
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

it's been fun.......

i'll take name change suggestions when this is over.

some possibilities:

-- OK. You were right Sansa. My bad.

-- Zombie DragonRider Aegon Targaryen the Undead: First of His Kind, Formerly known as Stark Basterd Jon Snow, Former Commander of the Night's Watch, Former King of the North, Master of Cave Sex and Banger of Aunts,

-- <unpronounceable symbol>

-- In my defense she was really hot in bed

-- Battle plans???....we don't need no stinkin' battle plans.

Bran the Broken
chase128
AG
Have you seen the opening song/scene in the show where it shows where the wall has a gap in it near Eastwatch by the Sea? That place is actually like several hundred miles from Castle Black at least. The wall is fine except for that one gap in it.
Tyrion could go to castle black one day and still piss off the wall there no prob.

Plus the wall probably melts in the the near future. There was the blade of grass poking through the snow just north of the wall.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I posted my own thoughts on why I enjoyed the episode. Where did I try to convince anyone?

And that's rich coming from the guy that has been posting non-stop after each episode.
Furlock Bones
AG
Pendragon12 said:

Furlock Bones said:

My only complaint was that these last two seasons were rushed. 8 more than 7, but 7 had some WTF moments as well for the sake of time.

I have no issue with the way they landed this monster. And even though it was rushed, I can see what they were attempting to accomplish throughout this season.

However, it is clear that D&D struggled without GRRM's source work. But I still didn't hate the season, nor did I hate their execution of it all. Could it have been better? Yes. And I think it would have felt better if they didn't have nearly 2 years of anticipation...it was bound to underwhelm with that timeline.

So, to me, "trashed" is too harsh. The season could have been better, but I don't think they ruined the series. I plan on rewatching the whole series to give this last season a fair judgement with it all wrapped in with the others.
i'm currently rewatching with my wife who midway through the last season decided she wanted to watch. rewatching parallel with the ending just makes it worse.
Humorous Username
AG
Pendragon12 said:

Furlock Bones said:

My thoughts exactly. In the end, it's just a TV show. But I couldn't help but look back at everything I've watched over the last few years and think to myself, "Man, this isn't near the ending I expected".
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

I know your knowledge of the show is very surface level
Furlock Bones
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I posted my own thoughts on why I enjoyed the episode. Where did I try to convince anyone?

And that's rich coming from the guy that has been posting non-stop after each episode.
holy ***** talk about your all time pot calling the kettle black.
Redstone
AG
Finally had a post turn blue on Ent, so last night wasn't a total failure.

I'm glad things worked out the way they did. A council form of government, accompanied by de-centralization, allows for greater democratic accountability.

Edit: let's please not get too worked up about the finale. I think it's important, especially with everything going on in politics now, to have an example of high cultural impact that sends a message of democratization.
Furlock Bones
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I was catching up on the thread this morning and every third post is you with a sentence saying how good it was. You were spamming this thread hard. Still are.

It was garbage, horrible writing. It was made for very basic fans of the show. People like you are way the show got so bad.
he's got 25 posts just since the episode ended.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Again, where did I try to get everyone to agree with me, or attack a single poster?

Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean you need to take it out on me.

Quote:

People like you are way the show got so bad.
And you really expect a post like this to go down well with anyone? My opinion is just as valid as yours.
Redstone
AG
And there is quite a lot of only surface-level knowledge of the show. I'm willing to overlook it, and we can still have a solid discussion.
trueaggie2782
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I was catching up on the thread this morning and every third post is you with a sentence saying how good it was. You were spamming this thread hard. Still are.

It was garbage, horrible writing. It was made for very basic fans of the show. People like you are way the show got so bad.

Saying you enjoyed it and reiterating the fact does not make a person guilty of trying to convince others. Otherwise, you are doing the exact same but on the opposite spectrum.
BallerStaf2003
AG
trueaggie2782 said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Saying you enjoyed it and reiterating the fact does not make a person guilty of trying to convince others. Otherwise, you are doing the exact same but on the opposite spectrum.

Except I haven't posted my thoughts 25 times. I've posted my thoughts twice, on the previous page. And it's actual thoughts, not one line zingers to troll.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Again, where did I try to get everyone to agree with me, or attack a single poster?

Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean you need to take it out on me.

Quote:

People like you are way the show got so bad.
And you really expect a post like this to go down well with anyone? My opinion is just as valid as yours.

You literally just called me a dick bc I disagreed with you. Easy on the victim card, buddy. Let the adults talk.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You asked a question, I responded to it, and you gave me sarcastic, smart-ass response for no good reason.

You were looking for a confrontation and you know it.
JABQ04
AG
trueaggie2782 said:

P.S. Nickleback's music isn't nearly as bad as advertised.

And......this is where you went wrong.
Texaggie7nine
Malibu said:

Sitting down and making a broad outline of season 7&8, I don't blame any of the major decisions.

Bran as king, fine.
Queen of the North Sana'a, fine.
Mad queen Dany, fine.
Jon exiled North, fine.
Arya kills the Night King, fine.
Jon as Aegon Targaryan as heir doesn't matter, fine (that's consistent with the theme of the show at least)

I just didn't think they did a very good executing. How hard is it to spend more than 1 episode showing a broken Dany turn mad? The long night over in 1 episode and no epic close up fights with a White Walker and a bunch of red shirts die? Tyrion gave a great speech but maybe show Bran actually making ruler worthy decisions at Winterfell instead of being a WTF moment. $15M per episode and we spend 20 minutes drinking around a campfire instead of developing the plot to a more coherent end?!?? How the hell are that many unsullied and Dothraki still alive?

This could have been great TV arriving at a satisfactory conclusion. The writers made crap choices and none of the 'twists' made sense. There were logical inconsistencies.

Great show, lost it's mojo at the end, 7/10 would watch again.

This is pretty much my take.

The Stark Kids are really at the center of the entire story. Good ending, bad execution.
Broba Fett
This thread is going about as well as one might have predicted on a Monday morning. So far at the office, the consensus is that this season sucked and the finale was the cherry on top of the dookie cake.
wangus12
AG
Broba Fett said:

TCTTS said:

Holy sh*t.

As if it needed to be pointed out further that they stopped giving a **** ahout this show.

Out of curiosity, do people just sit there and go frame by frame looking for these things
Broba Fett
I'm sure it wasn't hard. The camera wasn't panning much in those scenes and folks were busy trying to figure out who a couple of the characters were. Multiply that by the millions of eyes watching it and someone is gonna see it
Redstone
AG
We are all Aggies here. Let's link arms and sway - together.
First Page Last Page
Page 398 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.