****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,331 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

When you look at it from that perspective (the characters) more than the plot itself, it was deeply satisfying for each of them. They all feel right. One could even say it was TOO happy an ending, but I have no complaints in that department.
I don't think Dany is deeply satisfied.
benchmark
AG
Btron said:

Did anyone else think the exchange with Tyrion and Jon in the cell seem weird?
Paraphrasing:
Jon: Did we do the right thing?
Tyrion: Ask me in ten years

Why say ten years? I don't recall them ever really quantifying time in this show/world.

Was this the writing speaking to the audience. Did we do the right thing? Maybe in ten years this show will be loved and well received?
I don't know seemed out of place but so has everything the last two seasons.
I liked this exchange. A lot of the show's tension is generated by people thinking they are making the right choice and then later they are proven wrong. Tyrion tried to follow the right leader and was wrong. He has the wisdom now to know only time will tell if what they are arranging in Westeros will pan out for the common good.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Btron said:

Paraphrasing:

Why say ten years? I don't recall them ever really quantifying time in this show/world.

Was this the writing speaking to the audience. Did we do the right thing? Maybe in ten years this show will be loved and well received?

I thought what was so terrible about it is that Jon still needed convincing that Dany was completely insane and hell bent on mass genocide.

She literally said there were many more wars to come and people to liberate.

And he's STILL alike: "She's my queen" for fifteen minutes.

Did Jon develop a mental disorder after season 5? He became a total idiot and this particular scene was cringe worthy to watch.
Al Bula
AG
wangus12 said:

Out of curiosity, do people just sit there and go frame by frame looking for these things
Yes, there are people who are "special" like Bran and comb every scene for imperfections.

It reminds me of Signs when Joaquin Phoenix says, "it's about a bunch of nerds who never had a girlfriend in their lives. They're like thirty and they work up these little codes together, and they analyze Greek mythology, and make up secret societies where other guys who never had girlfriends before can join in. They do stupid crap like this to feel special. It's a scam. Nerds were doing it 25 years ago, new nerds are doing it again."

wangus12
AG
Also wasn't Yara & Dany's initial agreement that the Iron Islands would be their own separate kingdom as well. Guess she must have forget about that little agreement since she is now part of the 6 Kingdoms under King HotWheelz
Redstone
AG
I wanted Dany to be the Queen for quite some time, but then it became increasingly clear she would not (could not?) break the familial cycle of violence that came to engulf her.

Given this, Bran is a workable solution.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Redstone said:

I wanted Dany to be the Queen for quite some time, but then it became increasingly clear she would not (could not?) break the familial cycle of violence that came to engulf her.

I think it will work in the books so we will see his POV and what he actually did to earn the respect of everyone on that panel.

We literally know nothing. They don't either. But they say he's awesome. Why? The show didn't show why.

Apparently Bran is so amazing even the leaders of Dorne, Yara, and Robin Arryn don't even question his powers.

I'm a show watcher and I actively question his usefulness. Looking forward to the books bringing clarity.
Carlo4
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

Btron said:

Paraphrasing:

I thought what was so terrible about it is that Jon still needed convincing that Dany was completely insane and hell bent on mass genocide.

Did Jon develop a mental disorder after season 5? He became a total idiot and this particular scene was cringe worthy to watch.

I'm 100% with you. Jon still knows nothing.

However.... she spoke in Valerian giving the Hitler speech. Dude just stood there and looked pretty.
benchmark
AG
Humorous Username said:

Bronn being on the show was just a "current day" version of how everyone else's houses started. By being in the right place, at the right time (which was when the entire continent was in upheaval). Hell, he talked about it a couple of episodes ago.

You couldn't have this much strife, and NOT see a new house get formed.
I'm thinking he might have deserved a place on the judgement/king picking dais as the head of a major house, but to have wisdom and unbiased assessment skills to serve on the king's council???? He proved he has no loyalty and is only looking out for #1, himself.
Furlock Bones
AG
that's exactly what they do especially after it blew up before. everyone wants to break an error on social media. if you go searching, i'm betting there are already multiple posts about continuity errors, etc.
BenFiasco14
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

Redstone said:

I think it will work in the books so we will see his POV and what he actually did to earn the respect of everyone on that panel.

We literally know nothing. They don't either. But they say he's awesome. Why? The show didn't show why.

Apparently Bran is so amazing even the leaders of Dorne, Yara, and Robin Arryn don't even question his powers.

I'm a show watcher and I actively question his usefulness. Looking forward to the books bringing clarity.
Martins never finishing the books.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
trueaggie2782
AG
JABQ04 said:

trueaggie2782 said:

P.S. Nickleback's music isn't nearly as bad as advertised.

And......this is where you went wrong.

And......this is where you prove my point. I knew there would be at least one. Feels good to be a sheep doesn't it.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Probably not. And that's the worst part of it.

I wonder how he feels about these guys ad-libbing his story so poorly?
wangus12
AG
PDEMDHC said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

Btron said:

Paraphrasing:

I'm 100% with you. Jon still knows nothing.

However.... she spoke in Valerian giving the Hitler speech. Dude just stood there and looked pretty.
I think Jon knows what he had to do. But he is supposed to be madly in love with this girl, so its not surprising that he pauses and semi-sorta looking for some other option other than having to take her out.
gigemJTH12
AG
It's hard to believe some of you clowns are actual people in real life
Furlock Bones
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

he probably loves it. got paid an assload of money. now, he gets to do more tours where he tells people it wasn't him that ruined the ending. the controversy is even better for his bank account. he can keep people hanging on the slightest hope he is going to finish.
BenFiasco14
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

Based on his blog and how he talks in public it looks like to me he doesn't care and is very burned out on this series. He's interested in other projects (that suck imo).

Sure he's happy to cash the checks though. Lol.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
exitone
AG
I think the issue for Jon was:
1) He loved her
2) He swore an oath of allegiance to her.

I think the love may have gone, but Jon is a man of his word. He feels compelled to abide by that oath, and that is what he was struggling with. He knew what she did was wrong. He was just trying to convince himself that his breaking his oath is for the better good, and would outweigh him continue to follow her (this letting her continue to cause destruction).

ps - now we know why they didnt let him say a proper goodbye to Ghost a few episodes back...
Southlake
When Drogon nuzzles dead Dany's body just as animals do when one of their loved ones die. Sad scene indeed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
wangus12
AG
How does Bronn get chosen to be Master of Coin. That dude is terrible with money. We're talking about a guy who got paid pretty darn well by the Lannisters and then spends it all on *****s. He also has stated multiple times that he doesn't care about anybody and then you have made him one of the Lord of one of the largest regions of the country.
oragator
Not speaking of this thread specifically, but the criticism of third season is really over the top. This episode currently has a 4.9 rating on IMDB. For comparison, that is marginally above Freddie Got Fingered, and significantly below lifetime movies, really bad tv shows etc.
I can understand and even agree with many of the criticisms of this season, but some of them are based on completely unrealistic expectations. This was only bad compared to previous seasons, it was still better than 90 percent of stuff on TV. And right now it's being treated like Erkle tried to do Shakespeare.
StringerBell
AG
JJxvi
AG
Its being compared to itself.
ac04
the "completely unrealistic" expecations are based on being one of the best TV shows ever for six seasons. when a show like this takes such an obvious turn for the worse and ultimately flames out hard, you get the reaction you're seeing.
wangus12
AG
exitone said:

I think the issue for Jon was:
1) He loved her
2) He swore an oath of allegiance to her.

I think the love may have gone, but Jon is a man of his word. He feels compelled to abide by that oath, and that is what he was struggling with. He knew what she did was wrong. He was just trying to convince himself that his breaking his oath is for the better good, and would outweigh him continue to follow her (this letting her continue to cause destruction).

ps - now we know why they didnt let him say a proper goodbye to Ghost a few episodes back...

I think he still loves her which makes it even harder to do his duty. Like Tyrion said when he changes the words from "Love is the Death of Duty" to "Duty is the Death of Love".
dc509
AG
I get it. That was a fitting ending.

That said, as they've known Bran would be king their handling of his development throughout the series is odd.
gigemJTH12
AG
Grey worms character took a huge nose dive in like 3 episodes.

He went from universally liked a lot by probably every fan, to one of the most annoying people on the show. That little constant snarl on his face was terrible.
Furlock Bones
AG
oragator said:

Not speaking of this thread specifically, but the criticism of third season is really over the top. This episode currently has a 4.9 rating on IMDB. For comparison, that is marginally above Freddie Got Fingered, and significantly below lifetime movies, really bad tv shows etc.
I can understand and even agree with many of the criticisms of this season, but some of them are based on completely unrealistic expectations. This was only bad compared to previous seasons, it was still better than 90 percent of stuff on TV. And right now it's being treated like Erkle tried to do Shakespeare.
couldn't agree more. this is far from one of the worst seasons of tv ever. it is bad as comparison to itself.

reminds me of Black Panther on the opposite end of the spectrum. its ranking on RT and a couple of other sites put it up there as one of the greatest movies ever made. it's a good movie. it is far from one of the all time greats.
wangus12
AG
oragator said:

It was probably always going to get slammed because everyone spent the last 2 years developing their own theories on how it was going to end. Couple that with people loving to vote stuff they don't like down to oblivion and the rating was always going to suffer.
gambochaman
AG
Southlake
Dang, Jamee got knifed twice by Euron and lived, so it's possible that Dany is still alive, no?
exitone
AG
I was ok with the final season I guess...
I do have a few small complaints. I'm not declaring this the worse season in history like the rest of the internet. So on a scale of one to ten on the melt down scale, I'm pretty low.

My only complaints would be:

1) Bran: There was way too much of that story left untold. Too many loose ends. My guess is these would have been wrapped up in the book. I never found Brans character compelling, and this thread of the story always bored me. Turns out, I was bored for no reason.
Melt Down Rating: 2/10

2) Cersei: Her death was under-whelming, but oh well.
Melt Down Rating: 4/10

3) Arya: She had a pretty cool skill set that we all thought would get put to use for one of the main killings at the end, but nope. They didn't know what to do with her, so they just had her travel back and forth between locations. Maybe since she killed the NK, they couldn't have her make another major killing. But it would have been better to have her kill Cersei in the map room. It seems half the scenes took place there anyway.
Melt Down Rating: 3/10

4) Jaime: Why spend seasons redeeming his character, and all the sudden for no reason, he changes back and runs off to be with Cersei. I could maybe understand if Brienne had died, but nope.
Melt Down Rating: 6/10

5) Bronn: This guy was only useful for an insult once in a while. They should have killed him off last season. We didnt need to see him this season, much less at the council table.
Melt Down Rating: 8/10

6) Jon: My favorite character. He really got screwed here. I would have liked to see him King, even though that is not what he wanted. But maybe he will enjoy his time playing around in the North. Who knows.

Tyrion, Brienne, Davos, Podrick: I liked how they wrapped up these characters.

Grey Worm: I hope his ship sinks.

dc509
AG
Quote:

1) Bran: There was way too much of that story left untold. Too many loose ends. My guess is these would have been wrapped up in the book. I never found Brans character compelling, and this thread of the story always bored me. Turns out, I was bored for no reason.

I'm with you on this. A question that comes to mind is, as he said, "Why do you think I came all this way?" Do we think Bran planned this, or knew it would play out this way? Some insight into that, or insight into how he might have known or set it up would have been nice. Even if it only made sense with the benefit of hindsight.
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

As Jon and Tyrion spoke about, love makes you do dumb stuff. It's not the first time Jons love for a girl got him in trouble.
7nine
First Page Last Page
Page 399 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.