****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,456 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Old Tom Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I wouldn't say D&D trashed it. I think they basically stuck to the ending and outline they had. They just did it in a very robotic, 2 dimensional way that didn't do the characters justice because they just don't have the skill Martin has. Few do. A big disappointment, but if we waited or Martin to do it, this thing probably never gets finished.

If we're gonna trash them for these 2 seasons, we still need to give them credit for how well they brought Martin's material to life in the rest of the series. He had a lot of meandering bullcrap in those books, and wildass stuff like Lady Stoneheart. I think they did a fantastic job of bringing out the best and ditching the crap. But the last 2 seasons were a victim of both (1) no source material other than the finish and (2) the time pressure of losing key talent. We ended up with this thing that was just mechanically trying to hit the key plot markers needed to get to the end.
Agnzona
None of the complaints are about fandom theories or preferred character arcs or even the ending.
It's all about horrible execution. D&D didn't even try or they are incompetent and it's obvious. Did the people who loved this season ever watch any of the others?
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
wangus12 said:

Also wasn't Yara & Dany's initial agreement that the Iron Islands would be their own separate kingdom as well. Guess she must have forget about that little agreement since she is now part of the 6 Kingdoms under King HotWheelz

Well in reality there are 9 regions - some are kingdoms.

So they really ought to rename it anyway.

The North
The Vale
The Riverlands
Storm's End
The Reach
The Westerlands
The Iron Islands
Dorne - considered a Principality not a Kingdom
The Crownlands which includes KL and Dragonstone

At one time before the creation of the Crownlands and independence of Iron Islands it was 7.

The Iron Islands have been under control of the Riverlands previously but later separated. And they carved out the administrative Crownlands after so many battle over that land from the surrounding areas.

So it was 9 actually that were called the 7 Kingdoms by tradition.
BallerStaf2003
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Grey worms character took a huge nose dive in like 3 episodes.

He went from universally liked a lot by probably every fan, to one of the most annoying people on the show. That little constant snarl on his face was terrible.

Did anyone else think when he told Tyrion to shut up as his prisoner at the meeting that he would then allow Tyrion to speak for ten minutes and allow bran to make him hand of the king?

Talk about having no balls.
Ranger222
AG
Really great that we spent all that time fighting wars against each other, trying to protect humanity from the dead only to end up with the exact same system that got us here in the first place. Oh, and I'm sure there won't be any problems at all when the next king has to be chosen.

Just incredibly stupid to leave with the exact same political system that brought us. Thought the "wheel" may actually have been broken and at least Dany could have that legacy. Nope, all the same, just no chair.
Furlock Bones
AG
boy that White Walker story line, eh?
oragator
I don't know of anyone who loved this season. Again, not speaking of here specifically, but It's about keeping the complaints in perspective. This season was still better than most of the crap on TV, and its being treated like it was the worst season of TV ever. It was only bad in comparison to other GOT seasons. There can be a middle ground where those that didn't like it can get their point across without the over the top rants, or insanely low ratings on IMDB etc.
Jmo.
Texaggie7nine
It's not perfect but a system of kings being chosen based on what they have done is better than being king simply because of who your parents are.
7nine
Thisguy1
I Was surprised that D&D didn't stick around to go through the episode when it was over like every other episode.

Maybe they wanted you to form your own opinion of things, but it seemed a little cowardly since they did it in every other episode I've watched on HBO Go.
StringerBell
AG
ive defended this season but man this last episode left me questioning all of my life decisions up to this point

1) i get that they had to compromise with the unsullied about jon. but put grey worm and his homies on the damn boat, send them off and bring jon back. they did jon dirty.

2) fine with bran as king, oldest living son of ned stark who at one time ws protector of the realm and all that stuff. i cant imagine bran was good with "bran the broken" as his nickname..."um guys its cool im just disbled no bigg" "TO BRAN THE DEAD FROM THE LEGS DOWN. BRAN THE CRIPPLE. BRAN THE HALFMAN WITHOUT WORKING MANHOOD"

3) so the court is put together to judge tyrion and jon. good group of familiar faces and folks who deserve to be up there. and then there's sam. why does sam get to be up there?

4) and now the dothraki are just kind of hanging out in kings landing forever.

5) poor dany. win everything then get stabbed real quick and then taken off by a dragon to who knows where.

6) loved seeing bronn come back. one minute he's threatening tyrions life and making it abundantly clear that he doesnt care whether tyrion lives or dies as long as he gets his money and the next he's trying to stabilize the brothel infrastructure of kings landing.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Thisguy1 said:

I Was surprised that D&D didn't stick around to go through the episode when it was over like every other episode.

Maybe they wanted you to form your own opinion of things, but it seemed a little cowardly since they did it in every other episode I've watched on HBO Go.

I personally don't want to hear them give banal explanations of the shortcuts they took so they could move on to Star Wars.

When they said "Dany kinda forgot about the iron fleet" as a reason for Rheagal's death, I was done.
Southlake
I actually bonded with Tyrion last night.

Few things in life better than talking a long hard piss off a wall with a good friend.

I tried to explain this to my wife, but failed.
Broba Fett
StringerBell said:

ive defended this season but man this last episode left me questioning all of my life decisions up to this point

1) i get that they had to compromise with the unsullied about jon. but put grey worm and his homies on the damn boat, send them off and bring jon back. they did jon dirty.

2) fine with bran as king, oldest living son of ned stark who at one time ws protector of the realm and all that stuff. i cant imagine bran was good with "bran the broken" as his nickname..."um guys its cool im just disbled no bigg" "TO BRAN THE DEAD FROM THE LEGS DOWN. BRAN THE CRIPPLE. BRAN THE HALFMAN WITHOUT WORKING MANHOOD"

3) so the court is put together to judge tyrion and jon. good group of familiar faces and folks who deserve to be up there. and then there's sam. why does sam get to be up there?

5) poor dany. win everything then get stabbed real quick and then taken off by a dragon to who knows where.

6) loved seeing bronn come back. one minute he's threatening tyrions life and making it abundantly clear that he doesnt care whether tyrion lives or dies as long as he gets his money and the next he's trying to stabilize the brothel infrastructure of kings landing.

Jon wound up exactly where he wanted to be.
dc509
AG
Ranger222 said:

Really great that we spent all that time fighting wars against each other, trying to protect humanity from the dead only to end up with the exact same system that got us here in the first place. Oh, and I'm sure there won't be any problems at all when the next king has to be chosen.

Just incredibly stupid to leave with the exact same political system that brought us. Thought the "wheel" may actually have been broken and at least Dany could have that legacy. Nope, all the same, just no chair.
The wheel was never going to be broken in that sense. That was something people fixated on, but to me it always felt destined to fail. Having a king that is appointed by the high nobles is as far down that road as it was ever going to get.
dc509
AG
Agreed. He's in the place where he found the most peace, and that's what he's always wanted.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ok, this made me laugh.

wangus12
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

wangus12 said:

Also wasn't Yara & Dany's initial agreement that the Iron Islands would be their own separate kingdom as well. Guess she must have forget about that little agreement since she is now part of the 6 Kingdoms under King HotWheelz

Well in reality there are 9 regions - some are kingdoms.

So they really ought to rename it anyway.

The North
The Vale
The Riverlands
Storm's End
The Reach
The Westerlands
The Iron Islands
Dorne - considered a Principality not a Kingdom
The Crownlands which includes KL and Dragonstone

At one time before the creation of the Crownlands and independence of Iron Islands it was 7.

The Iron Islands have been under control of the Riverlands previously but later separated. And they carved out the administrative Crownlands after so many battle over that land from the surrounding areas.

So it was 9 actually that were called the 7 Kingdoms by tradition.
Yes I know.

The Iron Islands and the Riverlands were under House Hoare and they were the ones who lived/ruled in Harrenhall until Aegon burned it to a crisp.

Regardless, in the very first meeting between Dany and Yara, she asks that the Iron Islands be their own separate nation apart from Westeros. Now she doesn't even bring it up.
JJxvi
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

It's not perfect but a system of kings being chosen based on what they have done is better than being king simply because of who your parents are.
The system they essentially chose has real life examples from the medieval period...and mostly you still got chosen based on who your parents were, not what you've done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elective_monarchy
The Dog Lord
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

aggierogue said:

Sex Panther said:

OldShadeOfBlue said:

Sex Panther said:

AustinAg2K said:

How is Sam not in the Night's Watch anymore?

There is no Night's Watch
Did you miss the last 30 minutes of this episode?

If you or anyone else thinks there's still a Night's Watch and didn't get it... I don't know what to tell you. It's already been touched upon. Bran and Tyrion sent him there to let him be free and go north of the wall. Whatever is left of the Night's Watch is just the few who didn't die and the remaining Wildlings who are hanging out up there.

They don't care about the vow anymore so Sam can go do whatever he wanted. Their job was to protect the wall, and keep out the Army of the Dead and Wildlings. So now their watch has ended.

Plus Sam was studying to be a Maester, and Bran needed a Maester. Pretty sure the King can have that kind of pull.

So why does Tyrion tell Jon (alone) that he one day see him again because after 5 years (as the hand) he might want to piss off the wall at the edge of the world?

I get what you're saying, but I think dismissing the idea that there is still a night's watch is a big assumption on your part. Most south of the wall didnt believe in WWs or a Night King when the show started. So why have a wall then in the first place?

So if you are Bran - and your brother is being held by a militaristic but simple minded tyrant who only gets the concept of justice and punishment and you want your brother freed cuz he did the right thing.

And you know everything so you know there really is no CB or NW any more. But you can convince this dimwit that it is a lifetime punishment instead of just setting him free.

Are you gonna tell Tyrion that and ruin it potentially? Or let Tyrion believe it too.

It's best if everyone believes it really.

I took that as a smooth move by a king that knows all. When does Bran ever tell anyone anything up front. He usually holds back 90% of everything unless it has already happened. the dude was just sitting there smirking waiting for them to make him the king - and he came there because of it.

Uhhhh Torgo Nudho is not simple-minded. He has lost it a bit, but his main perspective is that of a soldier. You might say he is single-minded at this point in that he is focusing on justice (or revenge), but give the man some respect.
The Dog Lord
AG
Fightin_Aggie said:

So if Bran would have kept his mouth shut about Jon's lineage would Jon and Danny lived as well as most of King's Landing?

Was the TER setting up his bro?

D&D said that Dany likely wouldn't have gone Mad Queen had some of the recent events not happened (Rhaegal, Missandei, Jon "betraying" her, etc.), so Dany likely wouldn't have gone bad had Bran not said anything.
The Dog Lord
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

Social Media Influencer said:

The show has never made it clear how much Bran can see or know about the future. And other characters have had visions too. One of Dany's visions mostly came true tonight.
They've definitely made it clear.

• Bran knows to wait for Jaime at the gates of Winterfell
  • Bran knows to give Arya the Catspaw dagger which will kill the Night King
  • Bran states that he came to Kings Landing to accept the throne
  • Bran has a freaking vision of Drogon flying over Kings Landing back in season 6...

It's been discussed on this thread that Bran's knowledge of the future is not the same as his ability to look into the past. Seeing Jaime could have been the result of warging into animals in the present and seeing him. That said, they let him say and do things occasionally that makes it seem as if he does know more about the future than just the few visions we know about. It is just confusing as **** and one of the examples of the poor writing.
Vade281
AG
Thisguy1 said:

That's because we're getting a long interview next Sunday as a making of.
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
The Dog Lord
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

They need to add imagery for all of the Northmen that she let get killed at the BotB.
Ag86Sig83
AG
This season sure mirrored Survivor. The winner/King does absolutely nothing and wins in the end.

A. Solzhenitsyn
so Jon Snow is both the Queenslayer and the Queen's Layer....?
Texaggie7nine
JJxvi said:

Texaggie7nine said:

The system they essentially chose has real life examples from the medieval period...and mostly you still got chosen based on who your parents were, not what you've done.

Do you see a 15 year old Joffrey getting elected?

I'd say that's an improvement.
7nine
Counterpoint
AG
Southlake said:

Few things in life better than talking a long hard piss off a wall with a good friend.

I tried to explain this to my wife, but failed.
And that's a good thing!
dc509
AG
It is kind of interesting that the Starks won.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
StringerBell said:

just a few comments. no arguments per se.

1. Well what's to stop him from coming back on his own. he has to realize he isn't really a captive there. I took it more as when he got there he decided yeah I'll go north with Tormund. I think Bran knew what he wanted in effect.

3. Head of House Tarly

6. Bronn always just wanted to get paid. He has been.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
A. Solzhenitsyn said:

so Jon Snow is both the Queenslayer and the Queen's Layer....?

oh yeah - "brown chicken brown cow"
JJxvi
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

JJxvi said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Do you see a 15 year old Joffrey getting elected?

I'd say that's an improvement.
Yes, children of the old king/emporer were regularly elected by rubber stamp.
Cepe
AG
A few of my thoughts:

1) I'm good with Bran being king. It's called Game of Thrones and he played the game better than anyone.

2) I don't think D&D knew Bran was the one until later in the series and thought "oh ****" and had to figure out how to make it happen.

3) I think they tried to have a huge plot twist at the end with Bran but executed it poorly.

4) I think they got lost in over-directing the final season (11 straight weeks of filming every night for the Long Night!!) and lost track of the actual story line when they had to edit it together.
Texaggie7nine
Did they have dragons and white walkers?

Ok then. Game, set, match.
7nine
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
The Dog Lord said:

Fightin_Aggie said:

So if Bran would have kept his mouth shut about Jon's lineage would Jon and Danny lived as well as most of King's Landing?

Was the TER setting up his bro?

D&D said that Dany likely wouldn't have gone Mad Queen had some of the recent events not happened (Rhaegal, Missandei, Jon "betraying" her, etc.), so Dany likely wouldn't have gone bad had Bran not said anything.

It was Jon that decided to tell Dany. And it was Jon that decided to tell Sansa and Arya - he just asked Bran to explain it.

Had Jon not said that I doubt Bran would have told anyone.

BenFiasco14
AG
Cepe said:

A few of my thoughts:

1) I'm good with Bran being king. It's called Game of Thrones and he played the game better than anyone.

2) I don't think D&D knew Bran was the one until later in the series and thought "oh ****" and had to figure out how to make it happen.

3) I think they tried to have a huge plot twist at the end with Bran but executed it poorly.

4) I think they got lost in over-directing the final season (11 straight weeks of filming every night for the Long Night!!) and lost track of the actual story line when they had to edit it together.
11 weeks of filming the long night and it still sucked.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
First Page Last Page
Page 400 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.