****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,438 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Joseph Parrish
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Joseph Parrish said:

That doesn't really excuse not scouting the existing enemy forces. They've dropped the ball on Bran's story since the Aegon thing. So powerful, yet so useless.

Dragonstone is right next to King's Landing. By the time Euron would have heard the fleet was on its way, and decided to surprise her, the only way Bran could have contacted them was a raven. Euron doesn't seem like the kind of guy that plans these things out that far in advance, he seems more likely to be the guy who hears the news and jumps in the boat.

Or, a more likely scenario is that Bran doesn't give a **** about who sits on the throne, his family, or anything but sitting in the corner awkwardly.
Again, doesn't mean he couldn't have used it before everybody left WF. I agree that he might not give a ****, but I still wish they'd have made him useful. So much potential that was hyped up but hardly used.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Maybe you should read it again. He simply said he can't choose what he sees in the future, not that he doesn't see the future at all.
True.

And I don't know if he has seen more future events then what we have been shown either. Maybe he has.

That could be the case. But generally I believe or accept I guess - what we've been shown. And so far they have not shown any future visions as deterministically as the past - like the Tower of Joy. He doesn't even experience them the same way - like where he is in the scene but undetected. In future visions it has just been a dreamlike vision without context.
BarKeep_03
AG
wangus12
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

M.C. Swag said:

Real question is how does Brienne die? I feel like she has to die to push Jamie over the edge. No way he just calmly kills the mother of his child (if she's actually pregnant).
Brienne is keeping her sacred oath to Lady Kat-Lynne and Lady Sansa. Doubt she leaves Winterfell. She's the new Rodrik Cassel.

Love your hipster, millennial spelling take on Catelyn. It'll be all the rage at gender reveals this summer
PatAg
AG
InternetFan02 said:

Daeny just kind of forgot about the iron fleet...it happens

I now want to punch this man in the face.
Eliminatus
AG
PatAg said:

InternetFan02 said:

And people try to tell me that they haven't just gotten super lazy with their writing...

This is bad. This is bad story telling.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Here are the update Game of Game of Throne standings through the first 4 episodes. Remarkably only 4 people had both Rhaegal and Missandei on their death lists. AgSquirrel97 remains the overall leader by a slim margin.

AgSquirrel97 64

Urban Ag 61
Spreadsheet Ag 61

Geoff H. 58

Sam S 54
oldag00 54
Walton Loads 54
Derek J. 54

Texas Aggie '99 52

TxRunner97 51

Brian Earl Spilner 48
Rex Racer 47

wangus12 41

Andy W. 38
ChipolteMonger 38
Saint Arnold 38

Myles Moore 35
Coach RTM 34
tk for tu juan
The Curb Your Enthusiasm music was perfect to end that video
cbr
AG
I just watched 2 old episodes. Magnificient. Big difference. I hope they get it back the rest of the way.
TheCougarHunter
AG
aTmAg said:

The "why didn't she see the fleet" complaint is also petty. Most people don't have 20/20 vision. I sure as hell don't. Without my glasses I would have never have seen them either.

The better question to ask is how could she ever see anything at all without goggles for this whole time.

So you're saying the fleet of ships may have been so far away you couldn't even see them, but they manage to shoot that far and hit a moving target?

I hope this is satire and it's gone over my head...
TheCougarHunter
AG
Eliminatus said:

PatAg said:

InternetFan02 said:

And people try to tell me that they haven't just gotten super lazy with their writing...

This is bad. This is bad story telling.

Wow I about died laughing from that video!
bearamedic99
AG
Jeez this thread is head to keep up with.

We'll definitely hit page 375 after the next episode.

I didn't like the last episode but do now after further reflection. The Bronn in n out was writers liberty to save time. Everything that happened on the water was horrible writing, from the accuracy and speed of the scorpion hits, to the damage caused by them, to the survivors making it to land without capture.

We said goodbye to the true northerners and night's watch.

We had a distillation of characters, seemingly returning better to their true selves. The only characters that didn't appear true to form were gentle Missandei yelling Dracarys and Cersei not firing on Tyrion or her enemies. I feel the Jamie and Brienne stuff was a misstep but plausible.

Only other things of note were I normally do not like Sophie Turner. She and her voice annoy me but she seemed wonderful in this episode. Also, I feel Dany had a different make up artist during the Missandei scene. She looked younger and paler to me.

Last, I cannot decide whether Tormund became a caricature of himself or that's just how they decided he'd be drunk. Not like that character has never been drunk though.
gigemJTH12
AG
Are we to assume Sam is out of the show for good now in any significant capacity?

Same question for Bran.

And Sansa? I don't see how she realistically gets back into the picture. Unless she comes to KL with Brienne.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Yes there are people in this thread that will tell you it's ok that ships ambushed flying dragons and fired balista at impossible ranges because it's a fantasy show and you should just believe everything you see.

Never mind the fact that Dany "kind of forgot about the iron fleet"
cbr
AG
So why do they call it the iron whatever. Iron fleet. Iron island. Etc. BC I've noticed that their ships are wood, their castle is stone. And they tend to wear less iron than people from other places. Just curious.
Hulla Baller
AG
cbr said:

So why do they call it the iron whatever. Iron fleet. Iron island. Etc. BC I've noticed that their ships are wood, their castle is stone. And they tend to wear less iron than people from other places. Just curious.

I thought it was because they are supposed to be tougher than other houses.
JABQ04
AG
Because they paid the iron price, duh.
JABQ04
AG
If this has been asked I apologize but is the Nights Watch done? Either dead or feel no need for it anymore? Sam totally knocked up Gilly and everything. No more Maester for Sam?
M.C. Swag
AG
It stands to reason that they no longer have a reason to exist. WWs are gone and the wall is destroyed.
StringerBell
AG
Also does gilly being pregnant add more context to why sam was kind of a ***** during the battle of winterfell?
bearamedic99
AG
No. That was just Sam being Sam.

Bunk Moreland
StringerBell said:

Also does gilly being pregnant add more context to why sam was kind of a ***** during the battle of winterfell?

If that was the case he'd have sat his ass in the crypt.
Carlo4
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

Yes there are people in this thread that will tell you it's ok that ships ambushed flying dragons and fired balista at impossible ranges because it's a fantasy show and you should just believe everything you see.

Never mind the fact that Dany "kind of forgot about the iron fleet"

In a way, I see what they are trying to convey. Everyone she knows is dying. Her line to the throne isn't the best claim. Jon denied her. She's starting to go mad.

I think she was at peace up there for a moment. Cost her a dragon and further down crazy train she goes.

It was executed horribly in the show.
JABQ04
AG
StringerBell said:

It was Gilly and her baby that made Sam grab his nuts in season 3 and kill a WW. Maybe he was having delusions of grandeur at BoW.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

I guess I'm just not a fan of the show using the scorpion the way it has. Having one in S7 was okay, but having dozens on ships and on the city walls... it just makes the fact that Dany has dragons pointless. A fact that the show has rested upon for seven years. That Dany had the three most dangerous weapons in the world. Now, two are dead, and the last one seems useless if he's unable to get anywhere close to the Red Keep.
Have to agree with this. This was a pretty lazy way of nerfing the hell out of the dragons.
JABQ04
AG
So where does Dany rate on the crazy/hotness scale now. I mean she jumped on the crazy train and just took the **** off outta nowhere.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

Also, I feel Dany had a different make up artist during the Missandei scene. She looked younger and paler to me.
Probably to convey her fear of losing her best friend.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
redline248 said:

Does anyone think Jon convinced Robett Glover to join the march south? Or is that just another thing the show has cast aside?
Jon is gonna show up with the Dorne and Tully forces.
redline248
AG
Can anyone tell me what Dany has done that makes her crazy?
wannaggie
smokeythebear said:

Did you even read my post? I'm saying the scorpions can't shoot that far. The scene of the scorpion hitting Rhaegal from so far away was an error, but you can't use that error to justify a different criticism. Drogon was clearly staged far enough away to be able to avoid the scorpions. If you are complaining about the distance, then complain about the distance Rhaegal to the ship Tyrion was on because we ALL agree that was absurd.

As to the army being close enough to the scorpions, yes I think the scorpions could have hit the unsullied, but one bolt wouldn't cause very much damage on the ground like that and two or three bolts would open up an opportunity for Drogon to attack while they reloaded. It would have been foolish to fire the scorpions at the unsullied.
As I've already pointed out -- how, exactly, did Team Dany get the detailed User Manual and Technical Specifications for this weapon that they did not even know existed 2 hours ago?

Is there some kind of line in the (suddenly barren flat desert) ground around King's Landing spray painted with "min safe dist from scorps on ramparts"?
Geralt of Rivia
S
redline248 said:

Can anyone tell me what Dany has done that makes her crazy?
I think you answered your own question
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
bobinator said:

Quote:

There has been nothing in the shows or the books which suggests Cersei is a genocidal maniac.
She's power-hungry, but even her lust for power is based entirely around her Lannister identity. Power is simply the means to obtain prestige and security for her and her Lannister brood.
You mean other than time she blew up a holy temple and killed everyone in it?

Perfect.
aTmAg
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

aTmAg said:

The "why didn't she see the fleet" complaint is also petty. Most people don't have 20/20 vision. I sure as hell don't. Without my glasses I would have never have seen them either.

The better question to ask is how could she ever see anything at all without goggles for this whole time.

So you're saying the fleet of ships may have been so far away you couldn't even see them, but they manage to shoot that far and hit a moving target?

I hope this is satire and it's gone over my head...
If they literally shot 3 arrows and hit 100% of them, then I'm right there with you.. that would be too lucky to take seriously. If they shot a bunch of arrows at once and 3 of them hit, then it's reasonable. I haven't had a chance to rewatch yet (watched Chernobyl last night), but the arrows were hard to see in flight. So I'm holding my criticism on that until I see it again.
redline248
AG
My recollection is that projectile #1 fired and hit, #2 fired and hit, and #3 fired and hit. Do not remember seeing any others flying in the air and missing until after Rhaegal hit the water and they started to shoot at Dany.
wannaggie
smokeythebear said:

Champ Bailey said:

cbr said:

Lets face it the series has been amazing but 8-4 was pure trash, there is no redeeming it, just hope its behind us or we will have the worst flameout ending to a great franchise in history.

Disagree. I thought 8-4 was classic GOT, and sets up the end of the series in dramatic fashion.
Agreed, 8-4 was when they finally took off the plot-armor and returned to the classic Game of Thrones where anyone and everyone is likely to be brutally murdered in front of your eyes.
Except they haven't done that at all. There's no "anyone and everyone". Who, major, has died? Reek the misfit outcast? Oh okay.

From the beginning of this season on, they have heavily armored all the Main Characters in a depth chart (with the aid of focus groups and surveys, no doubt) and are simply working from bottom to top.

Missandei is nobody, really, she's just a body placeholder for a plot device which only does anything in the story as a means of showing us internal conflicts between Dany The Girl, Dany The Ruler, and Dany The Friend. Killing Missandei isn't removal of plot armor and it isn't "anyone and everyone". It's killing off a recurring very minor character who was burdened with an utterly fake love-interest subplot clearly shoehorned into the script for EEO points and Dramatic Tension points before every battle scene (which haven't worked to create tension for me, because I care about Missandei and Gray Worm at the same level as a care about Qhorin Halfhand; probably less, actually).
First Page Last Page
Page 274 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.