****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,324 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

My recollection is that projectile #1 fired and hit, #2 fired and hit, and #3 fired and hit. Do not remember seeing any others flying in the air and missing until after Rhaegal hit the water and they started to shoot at Dany.
So my TV sucks (need to get a new one, but I'm moving in a few months, and don't want to mess with that until after I move), but I noticed that it was hard to see the arrows that were being fired at Dany. So I assumed that it was hard to see the ones fired are Rhaegal too.

If you are right, then that is stupid and worthy of criticism. All they had to do to fix that plot issue was have a bunch of arrows fly and have 3 hit to make that realistic. It would still have been a surprise. And they had a bunch of ships floating there, so there is no excuse, IMO to not do that.
wannaggie
bobinator said:

Quote:

There has been nothing in the shows or the books which suggests Cersei is a genocidal maniac.
She's power-hungry, but even her lust for power is based entirely around her Lannister identity. Power is simply the means to obtain prestige and security for her and her Lannister brood.
You mean other than time she blew up a holy temple and killed everyone in it?
Re read my post but this time pay attention to the point.
agrams
AG
They should have had one after the attack on the loot train to learn about it. They captured the army and unless I overlooked it, the one that Bronn shot at her did not get destroyed.
n_touch
That one was destroyed by Danny

added just cause dragon fire makes everything better
wannaggie
El Chupacabra said:

Is the dead dragon gonna rise up via the Drowned God? What is dead may never die or whatever...

What kind of sorcery and silliness is coming in Ep 5?
I don't think the Drowned God has any actual power at all. I think he's just the culturally-contagious mental delusion of a small insulated society of inbreds who have ritualized erotic asphyxiation. That's why the Ironborn are such a sorry, depressed, maniacal group, and ineffective at playing the game of Thrones. Basically they're all suffering from reduced mental capacity due to repeated induced-hypoxia.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Here's my thoughts on Jaime:

There is 0% chance he is going back to re-join Cersei. It would take a massive dump on his character arc.

They just didn't make it clear for the suspense factor, IMO. Want to swerve us into thinking he might actually flip back.

But why not make it clear to Brienne that's what he was doing? Well, he probably realizes he'll never see her again and doesn't want to extend her heartbreak. He knows she loves him and he wants to give her a clean break instead of giving her hope of a future relationship. I think he is trying to spare her.

Just my thoughts.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, it was basically the "i'm a terrible man and you deserve better" breakup speech.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
aTmAg said:

redline248 said:

My recollection is that projectile #1 fired and hit, #2 fired and hit, and #3 fired and hit. Do not remember seeing any others flying in the air and missing until after Rhaegal hit the water and they started to shoot at Dany.
So my TV sucks (need to get a new one, but I'm moving in a few months, and don't want to mess with that until after I move), but I noticed that it was hard to see the arrows that were being fired at Dany. So I assumed that it was hard to see the ones fired are Rhaegal too.

If you are right, then that is stupid and worthy of criticism. All they had to do to fix that plot issue was have a bunch of arrows fly and have 3 hit to make that realistic. It would still have been a surprise. And they had a bunch of ships floating there, so there is no excuse, IMO to not do that.

Problem with that is they wanted to only hit Rhaegal of course. A volley would have also likely hit Drogon.

by "they" i mean the writers.

But also (maybe) those shot came one by one from different ships as they came into view. If so they were pretty damn accurate with the first few shots. But also note the dragons were not in an evade mode.

Although at that point they were kind of broadside to the dragons so maybe an easier target then. There were actually 4 fired in fairly quick succession - I can't imagine they all came from Euron. They also came from slightly different angles.

#1 hit Rhaegal from the lower left into the chest
#2 hits R in the wing from below and left
#3 hits R in the throat - oddly this arrow somehow comes from 90 degrees to the side

Now he is turning a bit but still this angle seems off from where they are shown to be - mostly down and to the left still frm Daenerys/Drogon because...

#4 flies over Drogon from below and to the left and she looks down and to the left at the fleet.

Those were not shot in a volley really but also not by one person. It does seem like maybe those shots were taken as they came into view from around the rocks?

Then as Dany dives they all shoot a volley - although nearer at that point, I think Drogon is a smaller target at this point because he is head on toward them. But the only logic that works here really is that Drogon dives and turns at the last second to evade. They got that right at least... and then he flies off and you see a few more shot in vane that don't come close.

It's possible that the first few were more accurate because the target was in a good position for the shots and not evading. But overall it was questionable especially the odd angle of the kill shot.

Just occurred to me this s like JFK and the Zapruder film - back and to the left - lol. How many shooters were there? Where did the kill shot come from (the grassy knoll)?????

Clavell
AG
Just looking forward to the Hound/Mountain Clegane showdown coming.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Here's my thoughts on Jaime:

There is 0% chance he is going back to re-join Cersei. It would take a massive dump on his character arc.

They just didn't make it clear for the suspense factor, IMO. Want to swerve us into thinking he might actually flip back.

But why not make it clear to Brienne that's what he was doing? Well, he probably realizes he'll never see her again and doesn't want to extend her heartbreak. He knows she loves him and he wants to give her a clean break instead of giving her hope of a future relationship. I think he is trying to spare her.

Just my thoughts.

Exactly - definitely the writers want to make it ambiguous and he gives her the tough story so
1. she doesn't dare follow him
2. it's a clean break in case he dies which he thinks is likely

BTW one thing not mentioned is there is some time in there where he is thinking it over. He gets the news of th attack on the fleet and dragon and it's still daylight. He leaves presumably late that night - Brienne is asleep almost assuredly after they had sex again and he is up and still thinking. He makes his decision to leave without a word but she comes out.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Clavell said:

I can't wait for the debate about whether it should have gone down that way, whether it was in character, lazy writing, etc.
bearamedic99
AG
Clavell said:

How will they make it seem natural?
bonfarr
AG
Is Rheagal still alive? The interweb is rampant with speculation that the dragon is still alive. I saw the dragon hit the water but did they actually show it sink? I don't remember.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
bonfarr said:

Is Rheagal still alive? The interweb is rampant with speculation that the dragon is still alive. I saw the dragon hit the water but did they actually show it sink? I don't remember.

Well they didn't show it swim. And there was no mention of it being alive - Dany seemed quite upset.

Also a raven sent to WF said he was dead (or was that Bran info - I couldn't tell).

Added - I just rewatched it

- Dany flies over the fleet about a minute later and no dragon visible from a wide shot of the fleet
- Tyrion looks out the same port side of his boat (which anchored) to Eurons fleet - that's where the dragon crashed right in front of him and no dragon is visible.

Dead.
bobinator
AG
This isn't a complaint really, because I try not to complain about things that are just personal preference, but I thought that scene would have been a lot more effective if Jamie had been able to just leave in the middle of the night.

I thought that scene with him and Brienne was just weird.
n_touch
So since they didn't show the dragon that was hit three times and spewed blood everywhere hit the bottom of the ocean he may not be dead?

The writers do something like that they are likely to break the internet.
TheCougarHunter
AG
aTmAg said:

TheCougarHunter said:

aTmAg said:

The "why didn't she see the fleet" complaint is also petty. Most people don't have 20/20 vision. I sure as hell don't. Without my glasses I would have never have seen them either.

The better question to ask is how could she ever see anything at all without goggles for this whole time.

So you're saying the fleet of ships may have been so far away you couldn't even see them, but they manage to shoot that far and hit a moving target?

I hope this is satire and it's gone over my head...
If they literally shot 3 arrows and hit 100% of them, then I'm right there with you.. that would be too lucky to take seriously. If they shot a bunch of arrows at once and 3 of them hit, then it's reasonable. I haven't had a chance to rewatch yet (watched Chernobyl last night), but the arrows were hard to see in flight. So I'm holding my criticism on that until I see it again.

Ever shot a quickly moving target with a GUN at 100 yards? Now think about doing it at 1000 yards. With a crossbow. Without sights. From a moving ship.

Even if they shot 1000 arrows at it the chance of a hit is 1 in a million assuming those things were even capable of going that far.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
bobinator said:

This isn't a complaint really, because I try not to complain about things that are just personal preference, but I thought that scene would have been a lot more effective if Jamie had been able to just leave in the middle of the night.

I thought that scene with him and Brienne was just weird.

agreed.... I thought it was a bit soap opera-ish to have the pleading crying maiden with him leaving especially Brienne.

If he left and she awoke the next day to an empty bed she could still be devastated.

but again i think the writers wanted that moment so he could say those words and make it seem like he was flipping. it just makes no sense to me.
chase128
AG
If D&D really want to piss off people and jump the shark they should have Bran reanimate dead Rheagal. Something that really makes no sense
JJxvi
AG
Don't they have Euron confirm for Cersei that the dragon died?
bobinator
AG

You said there's nothing in the shows which suggest she's a genocidal maniac.

In that scene she wiped out an entire religious group, many of its followers, and half of the important people in the kingdom, including the queen and a bunch of innocent people.

It's literally an act of genocide. If she thought it's because that religious group was threatening here own security, well that's basically how every religious genocide starts.
TheCougarHunter
AG
chase128 said:

If D&D really want to piss off people and jump the shark they should have Bran reanimate dead Rheagal. Something that really makes no sense

Would make more sense than the chemistry between Jon and Dany and the ballista shots and the Dothraki charge and Sams titanium plot armor
bonfarr
AG
JJxvi said:

Yeah but look at the shock on his face as he looks at the sky in the EP 5 Preview. He is either horrified at an armored Drogon diving at him or the dragon he thought was dead is back for vengeance.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Fenrir
At this point I feel pretty confident that D&D just want to get the show over with and are writing things in a way to get from point a to z as quickly as possible.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
It cracks me up that some on this thread complain about the lack of realism from the directors on these recent episodes. About a show with fire breathing dragons and an army of the dead.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
bonfarr said:

JJxvi said:

Yeah but look at the shock on his face as he looks at the sky in the EP 5 Preview. He is either horrified at an armored Drogon diving at him or the dragon he thought was dead is back for vengeance.

Or something else completely.
  • Dragon holding tankers of gasoline - no wait they can breathe fire anyway
  • Ninja Arya riding drogon like a surfboard about to crane kick him from the sky
  • A flock of baby dragons - Drogon and Rhaegal secretly laid 36 dragon eggs a few months ago so Dany's a Granddragon

aTmAg
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

redline248 said:

Problem with that is they wanted to only hit Rhaegal of course. A volley would have also likely hit Drogon.

by "they" i mean the writers.

But also (maybe) those shot came one by one from different ships as they came into view. If so they were pretty damn accurate with the first few shots. But also note the dragons were not in an evade mode.

Although at that point they were kind of broadside to the dragons so maybe an easier target then. There were actually 4 fired in fairly quick succession - I can't imagine they all came from Euron. They also came from slightly different angles.

#1 hit Rhaegal from the lower left into the chest
#2 hits R in the wing from below and left
#3 hits R in the throat - oddly this arrow somehow comes from 90 degrees to the side

Now he is turning a bit but still this angle seems off from where they are shown to be - mostly down and to the left still frm Daenerys/Drogon because...

#4 flies over Drogon from below and to the left and she looks down and to the left at the fleet.

Those were not shot in a volley really but also not by one person. It does seem like maybe those shots were taken as they came into view from around the rocks?

Then as Dany dives they all shoot a volley - although nearer at that point, I think Drogon is a smaller target at this point because he is head on toward them. But the only logic that works here really is that Drogon dives and turns at the last second to evade. They got that right at least... and then he flies off and you see a few more shot in vane that don't come close.

It's possible that the first few were more accurate because the target was in a good position for the shots and not evading. But overall it was questionable especially the odd angle of the kill shot.

Just occurred to me this s like JFK and the Zapruder film - back and to the left - lol. How many shooters were there? Where did the kill shot come from (the grassy knoll)?????
If this is true, then I'm on board with the critics. Such an easy thing to fix too.
StringerBell
AG
spoiler tagging this for folks who dont watch the next episode previews

what did euron see that made his eyes get big in the last episode

is there another dragon?
bonfarr
AG
StringerBell said:

is there another dragon?

See my post above, the web geeks think Rheagal may still be alive.
wangus12
AG
Armored Dragon. Its in the How to Train Your Dragon Handbook

Thisguy1
That was my thought. No idea how they could just make that happen though.

Unless he saw Jon riding one and that freaked him out, but idk what else it could be.
OnlyForNow
AG
I had a dream that more dragons are found.
StringerBell
AG
cant figure out a way to spoiler tag this so if you're worried about it avert your eyes

someone pointed out this article from a while ago

https://winteriscoming.net/2018/06/01/green-screen-dragon-rig-shows-up-on-kings-landing-set-game-of-thrones-season-8/
Thisguy1
bonfarr said:

StringerBell said:

is there another dragon?

See my post above, the web geeks think Rheagal may still be alive.

Can't remember who, but someone questioning if he was sure he was dead kind of makes you think he may still be alive.
gigemJTH12
AG
If Rheagal is still alive that's going to be pretty lame. Just let something die for once without us actually seeing it 100% dead.

I don't know what the shocked look is though, and him still being alive makes the most sense.
First Page Last Page
Page 275 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.