****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,377 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bonfarr said:

aTmAg said:

bonfarr said:

It seems like it would have been easy enough for Dany to fly in a wide arc and get behind the ship's where the Scorpions couldn't shoot. The entire fleet could have been lit up in flames easily enough.

My second question from last night was how would Cersei instantly know that Melisandei was of any importance to Daenerys? For all they knew she was just some survivor that was plucked out of the sea and unless Melisandei started talking they wouldnt know she was a trusted friend and advisor.
I don't think Dany would have been able to see that the scorpions couldn't turn 360. Truthfully, if I was building those scorpions, I don't know why I wouldn't have made them able to do 360.

Wouldnt they fire directly into their sails if they turned 180 degrees to fire aft?
Yeah, I already got called out on that. I concede that point.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
she always could have gone high enough out of range and circled around to survey it.

and actually SHOULD have done that BEFORE her ships just came into Dragonstone like a pleasure cruise docking. that was dumb.
chipotle
Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

bonfarr said:

It seems like it would have been easy enough for Dany to fly in a wide arc and get behind the ship's where the Scorpions couldn't shoot. The entire fleet could have been lit up in flames easily enough.

My second question from last night was how would Cersei instantly know that Melisandei was of any importance to Daenerys? For all they knew she was just some survivor that was plucked out of the sea and unless Melisandei started talking they wouldnt know she was a trusted friend and advisor.
I don't think Dany would have been able to see that the scorpions couldn't turn 360. Truthfully, if I was building those scorpions, I don't know why I wouldn't have made them able to do 360.

doesn't matter. If you have a front mounted weapon on a ship and turn it around 180 degrees you can't really shoot through your sails and your mast very well. i doubt you can even see anything airborne behind you.

If you tilt your head and squint you can see a grande Caramel Macchiato on the ship bow.

aTmAg
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

she always could have gone high enough out of range and circled around to survey it.
I don't know the flight envelope of dragons, but they may not be able to go very high (D&D are probably not concerned with aerodynamics when writing the show). But I do think that without binoculars (or even glasses) it would be pretty hard to see such things from 3000 feet or whatever.
Quote:

and actually SHOULD have done that BEFORE her ships just came into Dragonstone like a pleasure cruise docking. that was dumb.
I don't remember, why did they go to Dragonstone? Isn't it basically a tiny island? And why did Euron assume they were going to go there rather than straight to KL?

I agree with you on better recon, but it could have been anywhere. She should have been flying a mile ahead of the ships at all times.

gigemJTH12
AG
How does Dany know there isn't a spear gun on the back of the boat?
DannyDuberstein
AG
She charged in anger (foolish), then nearly got her ass shot off and lost the war right there. At that point, I see no issue with making the safe choice and getting out of there with your last remaining dragon, to recover and fight another day. Can't be sure where the next bolt(s) may be coming from.

Especially dumb to risk taking a bigger loss when Cersei isn't there and you aren't going to be fighting a sea war for KL.
Chase
AG
Joseph Parrish said:

Ghost91 said:

Tormund: "You weigh as much as two fleas %#$ing".

TexAgs: "OMG makes no sense, the volume mass and weight of the fleas would not increase simply based on greater kinetic energy, OMG lazy writing worst show in the history of shows".

Drogon in front of the castle was the same size on screen as he was from Tyrion's perspective when Rhaegal was shot down. Euron and his ships were way further away than the ship Tyrion was on. Be a sarcastic ass all you want, but it was a mistake on their part. It was almost as dumb as Dany trying to threaten Cersei with her tiny amount of troops.

And this explanation is as non-technical as it gets.
Yes, but the scorpion still does not look like it can aim DOWN. At rest it is horizontal.
WestAustinAg
AG
FIDO95 said:

On point as always.
This youtuber is literally the worst GOT blogger in the whole world.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
aTmAg said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

I don't know the flight envelope of dragons, but they may not be able to go very high (D&D are probably not concerned with aerodynamics when writing the show). But I do think that without binoculars (or even glasses) it would be pretty hard to see such things from 3000 feet or whatever.
Quote:

I don't remember, why did they go to Dragonstone? Isn't it basically a tiny island? And why did Euron assume they were going to go there rather than straight to KL?

I agree with you on better recon, but it could have been anywhere. She should have been flying a mile ahead of the ships at all times.

the plan was for the marchers to leave first down the Kingsroad (whats left of the Dothraki, the northern army, the unsullied, etc.)....with Jon. a smaller contingent and the rest of the leadership (those not fit for marching or riding that far) would go on the ships.

they went to Dragonstone because from there they would go inland to rendezvous on the Kingsroad to KL.

Yes recon for the voyage but particularly the vulnerable places coming into shore. Particularly as you are probably only a few hours sailing time from KL there.

marcher's went down from Winterfell heading to KL
sailing party went over to White Harbor and sailed for Dragonstone.

then meet up on the Kingsroad outside KL.

Ghost91
Why all the physics analysis about the freaking spear gun? Obviously, the story is that while on the way to King's Landing, the good guys were ambushed and a dragon got knocked out of the sky. I don't understand the obsessing over whether the ships would have been seen, or how the angle of Spear #1 was not tangential to the angle of Spear #2 minus the hypotenuse, or how the ropes and pulleys behind the bad guys should have cast a shadow directly onto the crosshairs of the scope that Euron was using at that time of day, etc.

They were ambushed on their way and a dragon died. Jesus.
Chase
AG
WestAustinAg said:

I feel like most complainers aren't really comparing the quality or realism of this season to prior seasons in a honest way. There have always been moments in the seasons that were far less realistic and even more wtf than this season. There were many scenes and plot lines and motivations that never made any sense. But we overlooked it because we had fewer expectations of the way it should go. I mean for 5+ seasons all good people died and all bad people prospered. That's the most unrealistic plot device ever created.

Maybe it's just disappointment that the series is coming to a close and those that are unhappy just really want the show to end the way they want the show to end.

Too many of you keep trying to rewrite the final episode storylines to align with the generally most common, read easily predictable plot, sort of like most Hollywood movies do now.
Agreed.

IMO, the complaining correlates directly with how many people DON'T want the show to end and those that don't feel it is in a position to wrap up well are the loudest. It's just a guess, but I'm betting that if you were to look at public comments about any show the season before it was announced it was ending and the next season, you would see a rapid rise in complaints about the series.
redline248
AG
There's marching through a wooded area and getting ambushed by guerrilla fighters, and there's flying around the open ocean and not seeing 20 or so ships.

bobinator
AG
I also think all of the complaints end up lumped in together. There's "this does make sense in this world?" complains and "would this character really do this?" complaints and "I would rather have had this happen" complaints.

So you have a few different groups of people arguing/debating various complaints, so even if each group still likes 80% of what happens, it seems like everyone has an issue with everything.
bonfarr
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

It sure seems like Dany should have been banging Euron instead of Snow. She would probably already be sitting on the Iron Throne if she had allied with him instead of Yara.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
StringerBell
AG
curious what kind of range the dragons have for their fire.

because it sure seems like the mass production of scorpions takes renders the dragons useless
FIDO95
AG
WestAustinAg said:

FIDO95 said:

On point as always.
This youtuber is literally the worst GOT blogger in the whole world.
They say opinions are like @ssholes, everybody has one.

Of course, when you have nothing intelligent to add, your just an @sshole.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BowSowy
AG
wangus12 said:

OldShadeOfBlue said:

wangus12 said:

**** that really matters

Quote:

• Geographical continuity: King's Landing is apparently now a flat, arid, desert. Kewl. (and this isn't a new complaint, it's just another notch in the belt)

How'd we go from this

To this

To this

The second picture is Casterly Rock, but regardless.. Somehow Dany has made her way back to the Garden of Bones outside of Qarth begging them to let her in.
No it isn't Casterly Rock. Bronn has never been at Casterly Rock. It is from this scene right here.

You linked the wrong scene. I think you meant to link the Casterly Rock scene
aTmAg
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Quote:

the plan was for the marchers to leave first down the Kingsroad (whats left of the Dothraki, the northern army, the unsullied, etc.)....with Jon. a smaller contingent and the rest of the leadership (those not fit for marching or riding that far) would go on the ships.

they went to Dragonstone because from there they would go inland to rendezvous on the Kingsroad to KL.

Yes recon for the voyage but particularly the vulnerable places coming into shore. Particularly as you are probably only a few hours sailing time from KL there.

marcher's went down from Winterfell heading to KL
sailing party went over to White Harbor and sailed for Dragonstone.

then meet up on the Kingsroad outside KL.

Based on the map, they might as well go to Dragonstone since it's on the way.
Joseph Parrish
AG
Chase said:

Joseph Parrish said:

Ghost91 said:

Tormund: "You weigh as much as two fleas %#$ing".

TexAgs: "OMG makes no sense, the volume mass and weight of the fleas would not increase simply based on greater kinetic energy, OMG lazy writing worst show in the history of shows".

Drogon in front of the castle was the same size on screen as he was from Tyrion's perspective when Rhaegal was shot down. Euron and his ships were way further away than the ship Tyrion was on. Be a sarcastic ass all you want, but it was a mistake on their part. It was almost as dumb as Dany trying to threaten Cersei with her tiny amount of troops.

And this explanation is as non-technical as it gets.
Yes, but the scorpion still does not look like it can aim DOWN. At rest it is horizontal.
So how do you think they got there? Probably on foot from further out right? How do you think they retreated? Probably on foot right? Don't tell me there's not a kill zone in there.
jenn96
AG
It's a shame the lords of Westeros didn't figure out how to use scorpions 200 years ago during the Conquest when Aegon and Baleron and his sisters were coming to town. A couple dozen of these on top of Harrenhal and Winterfell and it's a new story. (And yes I know Dorne had one.)
redline248
AG
StringerBell said:

because it sure seems like the mass production of scorpions takes renders the dragons useless
Probably the best examples we have are when the dragons are burning the dead army north of the wall, or when burning the one or two ships in Slaver's Bay before Dany left Mereen. They got right on top of that one ship. Tactically, if they hadn't been surprised by Euron, I think she figures out how to burn his ships.

The defenses at Kings Landing, well, there's really no reason they can't just fly above the range and come down behind the walls. They did chase the Night King above the clouds in the last episode. Just wait for dark and take those things out.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Quote:

The defenses at Kings Landing, well, there's really no reason they can't just fly above the range and come down behind the walls. They did chase the Night King above the clouds in the last episode. Just wait for dark and take those things out.
Have to assume scorpions are also set up inside the walls.
Scientific
AG
Chase said:

Agreed.

IMO, the complaining correlates directly with how many people DON'T want the show to end and those that don't feel it is in a position to wrap up well are the loudest. It's just a guess, but I'm betting that if you were to look at public comments about any show the season before it was announced it was ending and the next season, you would see a rapid rise in complaints about the series.

I feel most fans of any good show want it to end on a high note, whatever that looks like, instead of potentially jumping the shark. I wasn't even born yet, but The Dream season of Dallas wasn't received well from what I always heard. Isn't it considered the biggest cop out for a show? Its easy to pick everything apart right now, because the writing isn't anywhere near as tight.

I rather the show end rather than see it gradually deteriorate.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
redline248 said:

bangobango said:

Ervin Burrell said:

Random thought while perusing this thread (and some prior seasons). Why the hell are some of you so f'ing obsessed with the storylines of the dogs? "Ghost is alive! Awesome!!!" "Where's Nymeria?!?!?"

They've been in like three episodes combined since the early seasons and yet "where's muh dogs" seems to be the focus of many posters here. Just don't get it.

*Steps off soapbox*
B/c our culture now :fetishizes" the hell out of dogs.

It's more about how they've yo-yo'd ghost in and out of the story. Disappears for long periods, shows back up and Jon is happy to see him, disappears, shows back up and Jon acts like he's not there. Then have Jon just say "take my dog, peace." Make up your mind, show. If you want ghost involved, involve him with Jon. If you don't him around, get rid of him for good. Kill him off like you did summer and shaggy dog, if you want. Just stop toying with the idea of him. And don't say in promotional stuff before the season he'll have his big moment, or whatever.
They literally just did what you're asking: get rid of Ghost. I think the obsession to have the dogs do dramatic things in this show is the most overblown thing in this thread. I just don't get it. It's like complaining that Eddie didn't get enough screen time in Frasier.
redline248
AG
They did it 4 seasons too late, is the point.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
canadiaggie said:

StringerBell said:

This reason alone was why Jaime lost a hand.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

random thoughts......

1. Clegane Bowl seems likely but how in the context of the battle? Instead maybe.... Jamie returns but Cersei captures him and puts him on trial for desertion or treason. He demands a trial by combat (has that been reinstated?). The Mountain is for Cersei and the Hound (who snuck into KL?) volunteers for Jamie.

2. Been a lot of prediction of a betrayal by Tyrion.... what if it is Varys' treason but through that Dany finds out Tyrion knew and that's his treason. OR Varys no longer trusts Tyrion and implicates him in some treason with Cersei. Dany executes Tyrion for it and Varys comes out unscathed and still in the inner circle but is now a threat to Dany with Tyrion no longer in his way.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Question: did they say they lost just half the Dothraki? Or half the Unsullied? Or half of Dany's army?
wangus12
AG
BowSowy said:

wangus12 said:

OldShadeOfBlue said:

wangus12 said:

**** that really matters

Quote:

• Geographical continuity: King's Landing is apparently now a flat, arid, desert. Kewl. (and this isn't a new complaint, it's just another notch in the belt)

How'd we go from this

To this

To this

The second picture is Casterly Rock, but regardless.. Somehow Dany has made her way back to the Garden of Bones outside of Qarth begging them to let her in.
No it isn't Casterly Rock. Bronn has never been at Casterly Rock. It is from this scene right here.

You linked the wrong scene. I think you meant to link the Casterly Rock scene
No I linked the correct one. The 2nd image above is from the scene posted above.
gigemJTH12
AG
StringerBell said:

I think she will go high above the castle and dive bomb them. No way those things go to 90* and if they do no way they could be accurate
Shooting like that
bobinator
AG
The 'half of the Dothraki' line was perhaps the craziest thing that happened in the whole episode.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
M.C. Swag said:

StringerBell said:

gigemJTH12 said:

You literally just broke that down like it's the worst thing to ever be recorded on TV.
could never compare to the 2014 miss state game.
2017 UCLA was an exercise of lobotomy.
2017 UCLA was like becoming an Unsullied.

And some of these posts are like beating a dead dragon.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

Question: did they say they lost just half the Dothraki? Or half the Unsullied? Or half of Dany's army?

Pulled this directly:

Grey worm: Half are gone (implying the Unsullied he sweeps them off the table)

Jon: the northmen as well (implying half of them, they sweep the pieces off the table)

Random Dothraki reaches and sweeps of several pieces representing Dothraki- but says nothing

then they say the balance is distressingly "even".... but they have 2 dragons of course (too soon).
wangus12
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

random thoughts......

1. Clegane Bowl seems likely but how in the context of the battle? Instead maybe.... Jamie returns but Cersei captures him and puts him on trial for desertion or treason. He demands a trial by combat (has that been reinstated?). The Mountain is for Cersei and the Hound (who snuck into KL?) volunteers for Jamie.
I feel like Grey Worm is also gonna want to kill the Mountain as well now so maybe they happen to do it together
No Bat Soup For You
AG
I thought I liked this show until I read this thread.
First Page Last Page
Page 266 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.