****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,443 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This thread:
Bunk Moreland
Brian Earl Spilner said:

A large portion of the viewers:

FIFY
BlueSmoke
Quote:

It. Is. Fiction. It doesn't have to make sense.

The dead walk (or did anyway). Dragons exist. Sorcerers conjure ghost demons. Blood magic is a thing. Suspend belief in our world and live the story through the fiction.
It's not "realism" more than it's good, intelligent writing. That's what initially draws everyone in on these shows. They start out with visceral brilliance and wind up whimpering away with an over reliance on CGI and "dramatic" scenes obvious written by production writers vs. the original authors that started us off.

When the audience can easily pick apart plot holes it detracts from the overall experience. Scorpions knocking dragons out of the air is an preposterous as using catapults or trebuchets. It's convenient laziness. And who didn't see this coming? They tipped their hat with these earlier and we all knew they'd have dozens of them. My wife was like "yep, there they are".
Nobody cares. Work Harder
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
aTmAg said:

Deputy Travis Junior said:

I loved how the ballistas, fired from small ships bobbing on waves, shredded a flying dragon from half a mile away; the US Navy couldn't have made that shot. You could practically hear the last-minute brain-storming session in which the writers said "well we need to kill a dragon so... sh*t, ballistas?" It reminded me of the "Thank God we invented the..., you know, whatever device," scene from Thank you for Smoking in which they're discussing how they'll explain away smoking on an oxygen-filled space station in an upcoming movie.

For years, Game of Thrones' main draw was its merciless realism. They've completely dumped that for all the same Hollywood plot and character cliches. Definitely still a fun show, but not the same one of 2-3 seasons ago.

So I'll watch it again, but on my TV those arrows were really hard to see in flight. My assumption was that 100 of them were shot and 3 of them landed. And that the only reason Dani's dragon wasn't hit was because she was behind the other one.

No. the first struck Rhaegal directly from the front in the chest. they were heading right into it.

Oddly a later one went through from 90 degrees from the side - I don't think he had turned much at that point.

they did shoot a few dozen at Drogon/Dany on the second volley as she dived at them but they all missed when she abruptly turned.

she should have gone either way above them out of range or behind them assuming those guns could not turn to the back as they were front mounted - and of course the ships could not turn quickly.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Kate Beckett said:

Not related to last night but I was Arya Stark at Fan Expo Dallas and had to share this photo.

Nice
G Martin 87
AG
Skipped the past several hundred posts.

So. How about that Starbucks cup?
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

I am totally fine with Dany burning King's Landing and everyone in it. Southerners did nothing to save the realm from the Night King.
I am too, but with only one dragon and an apparently unlimited supply of scorpions, I'm not real optimistic about that.
n_touch
Seems to be the only thing that may have made sense in this episode
aTmAg
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

Deputy Travis Junior said:

I loved how the ballistas, fired from small ships bobbing on waves, shredded a flying dragon from half a mile away; the US Navy couldn't have made that shot. You could practically hear the last-minute brain-storming session in which the writers said "well we need to kill a dragon so... sh*t, ballistas?" It reminded me of the "Thank God we invented the..., you know, whatever device," scene from Thank you for Smoking in which they're discussing how they'll explain away smoking on an oxygen-filled space station in an upcoming movie.

For years, Game of Thrones' main draw was its merciless realism. They've completely dumped that for all the same Hollywood plot and character cliches. Definitely still a fun show, but not the same one of 2-3 seasons ago.

So I'll watch it again, but on my TV those arrows were really hard to see in flight. My assumption was that 100 of them were shot and 3 of them landed. And that the only reason Dani's dragon wasn't hit was because she was behind the other one.

No. the first struck Rhaegal directly from the front in the chest. they were heading right into it.

Oddly a later one went through from 90 degrees from the side - I don't think he had turned much at that point.

they did shoot a few dozen at Drogon/Dany on the second volley as she dived at them but they all missed when she abruptly turned.

she should have gone either way above them out of range or behind them assuming those guns could not turn to the back as they were front mounted - and of course the ships could not turn quickly.
If true, then they screwed that up
gambochaman
AG
G Martin 87 said:

have you seen how fast starbucks works? i'm surprised it took them 8 seasons to establish a franchise in westeros
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Duncan Idaho
G Martin 87 said:

I missed that. Where was it?
Eliminatus
AG
*TIME OUT

I am not a hater trust me. I still love this show and cannot wait for next week.

However, I don't see how anyone can think that the show has not taken a turn downward in terms of storytelling. After The Long Night I went back and rewatched Hardhome. My god there is no comparison. That little "skirmish" was immensely better in everything, even the action, than the "epic conclusion" was. I felt actual dread when the people on the other side of the gate stopped hammering and screaming to be let in and then their shadows vanished as well. Those few seconds after that were some of the most eerie I have ever seen on screen. A person I was watching it with just breathed, "Oh *****". Other than that the entire room was riveted. There were like ten of us crammed into this tiny room.

The problem is that the earlier seasons really were just that good that even this season, which in any other universe would be fantastic, simply pales. Game of Thrones has become a victim of its own awesomeness. By that I mean that it peaked years ago and it is pretty obvious. To me at least.

Ok, let the Thunderdome continue

*TIME IN
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Bunk Moreland

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/kO46rUHjHaYVQeEUHplZudUhlfk=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/16213168/got_starbucks_wide.gif
Agnzona
CoachRTM said:

I feel sorry for people who can't just enjoy the show.

This season has been entertaining as hell.

I don't find hugely disappointing all that entertaining. Mildly entertaining is about as far as I can go now.
Trident 88
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

aggie-master said:

Who do yall want on the iron throne at this point?
My prediction before the season started was Gendry.

We're much closer to that possibility now.
I'm sticking with my original prediction that Sansa will end up on the throne by default.

Cersei didn't come north to fight the WW army, and she's sitting pretty right now. I'm not saying that Sansa took a lesson from this, but the fact that she won't be involved in the battle at KL greatly increases Sansa's odds of ending up being the last Stark left alive.

I still think Dany ultimately survives the battle but chooses to leave Westeros.
bobinator
AG
aTmAg said:

bobinator said:

I don't know if you blocked me or what but that's not at all what war was like a thousand years ago.
I have not blocked anybody. If I missed your post, then I just missed it.

But I'd suggest you read up on Genghis Kahn, They were ruthless back then, and that was less than 1000 years ago.
I know this is an argument from five pages ago now, but I just now got on today...

The reason you have heard of Genghis Khan is because he's one of the people that did this. He was an exception, not the rule.

The vast majority of fighting back before the 19th century more or less boiled down to one team of paid fighters fighting another team of paid fighters, and then whoever won got the castle/lands/whatever. Trying to win so completely that you took away the other side's ability to make war is (relatively speaking) a new thing.

Most fighting did not involve the civilian populations, certainly not fighting between two groups of the same country/race/etc.

There were some exceptions when someone decided to go full genocide on people, but those were so rare that we still remember a lot of them today however many thousand years later. Khan, the Romans at Carthage, etc.
Southlake
So, if. Cersei hired Bronn to kill Jamie and Tyrion with Riverrun as a reward, and Tyrion and Jamie had to double the reward not to be killed, wouldn't Bronn also have to kill Cersei to get Highgarden?
HtownAg92
AG
I know it is a common and tired gripe, but here's the time-warping part I don't get:

You can never really know how much time has passed between events, but in KL you actually have a clock - Cersei's non-existent baby bump. She was pregnant at the undead demonstration and likely wasn't showing when Euron boned her, because he put his hand on her flat belly and said he was going to fill it.

Just before the undead meeting, Drogon torches "Qybern's Scorpion" on the road, implying that it was the only one built from his new design. Then the undead meeting and the Dothraki and Undead do the Haka out front before Dany arrives. Not a scorpion in sight.

Now fast forward a little bit of time, because Cersei still isn't showing - and they have scorpions mounted on every ship and every wall. That's some seriously quick building from what labor force?

I like the episode overall. Yes, they invented a lousy way to even the odds with the dragon kill, but the conversations and characters were great.

Oh yeah, Tormund doesn't give a crap about the deep south and its politics, but he cares about his friend. His speech foretold that he owes him one and he will help once things "go south" for Jon.
Bunk Moreland
Southlake said:

So, if. Cersei hired Bronn to kill Jamie and Tyrion with Riverrun as a reward, and Tyrion and Jamie had to double the reward not to be killed, wouldn't Bronn also have to kill Cersei to get Highgarden?

No. Highgarden is in exchange for the information and obviously not killing them on the spot. Bronn's betting on Dany winning.

That part, while not exactly how I'd have shot it, made complete logical sense that Bronn would hedge there.
chipotle
The complaining about complainers is getting old.
combat wombat™
AG
Speaking of clocks... Are we to believe that Cersei's hairstyle now is a choice? Because it's been a long damn time since they shaved her head. Her hair should be a whole lot longer by now.

Stupid point to focus on but it's been bothering me.
gambochaman
AG
FYI, Cersei is a lying hoar and has never been pregnant

HTH
FIDO95
AG
I don't see Sansa on the Iron Throne simply because "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell". There is no one left; Jon is a Targaryen, Bran is the 3ER, and Arya is literally "no one".

I think the Iron Throne and Kings Landing gets nuked by dragon fire and wildfire ala the scourge of the shire.

But what the Hell do I know?! I've been convinced for years that Howland Reed and Dawn would show back up!!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wangus12
AG
gambochaman said:

FYI, Cersei is a lying hoar and has never been pregnant

HTH
Been saying that for 2 years
bobinator
AG
I do think it's funny how much people criticize the dragon usage on this show as being horrible military strategy when there are some real-world examples of basically the same thing happening.

If we renamed Rheagal and Drogon to Bismarck and Tirpitz you have basically what happened to Germany's battleships ships in WW2.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
AgShaun00 said:

you have dragons and going back to your castle so lets not fly high and do some recon before all the ships get there to see if anything looks suspicious

This, Not to mention your whole fleet was wiped out by the same guy previously
gigemJTH12
AG
I'm not an avid complainer but the timeline for next week is going to be tricky. How can they justify Jon, Jamie, Arya, and the Hound getting to the battle on time?

My guess is dany actually does go "collect" herself for a few weeks and it makes that obvious. If not, it's going to be glaring this time. And not even in a nit picky kind of way.
bobinator
AG
Not really. We've thrown travel time out the window for a while now. Anyone can basically show up anywhere and it's fine.

I half expected Arya to come in behind Cersei and kill her during that standoff.
aTmAg
AG
bobinator said:

aTmAg said:

bobinator said:

I don't know if you blocked me or what but that's not at all what war was like a thousand years ago.
I have not blocked anybody. If I missed your post, then I just missed it.

But I'd suggest you read up on Genghis Kahn, They were ruthless back then, and that was less than 1000 years ago.
I know this is an argument from five pages ago now, but I just now got on today...

The reason you have heard of Genghis Khan is because he's one of the people that did this. He was an exception, not the rule.

The vast majority of fighting back before the 19th century more or less boiled down to one team of paid fighters fighting another team of paid fighters, and then whoever won got the castle/lands/whatever. Trying to win so completely that you took away the other side's ability to make war is (relatively speaking) a new thing.

Most fighting did not involve the civilian populations, certainly not fighting between two groups of the same country/race/etc.

There were some exceptions when someone decided to go full genocide on people, but those were so rare that we still remember a lot of them today however many thousand years later. Khan, the Romans at Carthage, etc.
I don't want to turn this thread into a history argument, but look up the list of wars by death toll. There were many ancient wars where 100s of thousands or even millions died. Many of the dead were civilians. I agree that killing 100% of the population was not common, it was common to kill a bunch and then sell the rest to slavery. Either way, the population and society is destroyed.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Opening scene of the battle at KL:

All the scorpions are aimed at Dany and her small army. Cersei has them dead to rights.

Suddenly, magical portals start opening all around them.

And through the portals enter:
Tormund & Ghost with a wilding army;
the Dorne army;
the Tully army;
the Second Sons;
Brienne & Pod;
The Hound & Arya;
Jaime;
Nymeria & her band of wolves;
Jon leading the Unsullied & Dothraki;
a ghost Stark army;
and Howland Reed.

Music swells.
I made this joke a week ago and 10 people spent the next 5 pages trying to get me banned.
Southlake
Bunk - I see that, but I would have thought maybe Tyrion could have bargained in that manner.

And, I was thinking the same thing with the Scorpions lined up along the walls, the Dragon could swoop down in tactical surprise and in one line of fire destroy all of them? Again, seems the Dragons are used poorly.

Also, with Dany walking away, do you think she's going back to regroup and heal as advised by Sansa and Tyrion before moving on to KL?
canadiaggie
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

I'm not an avid complainer but the timeline for next week is going to be tricky. How can they justify Jon, Jamie, Arya, and the Hound getting to the battle on time?

My guess is dany actually does go "collect" herself for a few weeks and it makes that obvious. If not, it's going to be glaring this time. And not even in a nit picky kind of way.

Seems like Dany and Tyrion are at dragonstone for some scenes, and Jon's timetable is 2 weeks
WestAustinAg
AG
I feel like most complainers aren't really comparing the quality or realism of this season to prior seasons in a honest way. There have always been moments in the seasons that were far less realistic and even more wtf than this season. There were many scenes and plot lines and motivations that never made any sense. But we overlooked it because we had fewer expectations of the way it should go. I mean for 5+ seasons all good people died and all bad people prospered. That's the most unrealistic plot device ever created.

Maybe it's just disappointment that the series is coming to a close and those that are unhappy just really want the show to end the way they want the show to end.

Too many of you keep trying to rewrite the final episode storylines to align with the generally most common, read easily predictable plot, sort of like most Hollywood movies do now.
First Page Last Page
Page 256 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.