****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,313 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
after the battle of the *******s and stannis' army getting wiped out near winterfell, I wonder how many bodies are lying in the snow that never got burnt and may be brought back...
aTmAg
AG
Howland Reed would be a "who the hell is that guy?" moment for me (and I assume other casual viewers like myself). It would not be any sort of "wow" moment. I can't imagine them bothering to go there. There is not enough time left in the season.
gigemJTH12
AG
Can't wait for the weekend to start and start wishing it away to Sunday night!
BowSowy
AG
Ha, that's the bittersweet part about GoT
SpreadsheetAg
AG
agrams said:

after the battle of the *******s and stannis' army getting wiped out near winterfell, I wonder how many bodies are lying in the snow that never got burnt and may be brought back...

I am pretty sure they mention having to burn the bodies; and certainly the wildlings and Jon would know to do it
Ranger222
AG
Regarding motives of the NK -- this next episode is supposed to be 80+ minutes long. We know from interviews that the battle scene should be ~50 minutes or longer. That could still leave 20-25 minutes of unfilled time.

What if the episode starts not in the present but in the past as a sort of flashback to discuss the origins and motives of the NK and his army? Would take 10 minutes before going back to the present and the battle and still leaving plenty of time for it and another 10 minutes of resolution at the end. Would be more relevant to show it before the battle so it catches everyone up and even "new" viewers who may be watching for the first time.
aTmAg
AG
Episode IV said:

agrams said:

I am pretty sure they mention having to burn the bodies; and certainly the wildlings and Jon would know to do it
Does the NK have to be within a direct line of sight and/or within close range? He wasn't able wake up the dragon when it was under water and have it swim up itself. They had to go through the effort of getting aircraft carrier boat anchor chains to raise it first.

Seems to me that burying a body would be enough either way. If you were to bury me alive more than a few feet deep, then there would be no way in hell I'd get out. (Despite what Kill Bill would lead us to believe)
MaroonStain
AG
If anyone thinks escaping to Essos will solve the problem of the NK and WW, never forget the WW Seal Team and the work they did surfacing the dragon. They prob have WW subs and undead whales & sharks off every harbor.
TheDraw
AG
HtownAg92
AG
Impossible to catch up so apologize if already been discussed and answered.

Do we know that Nymeria and Ghost are the only living direwolves? Ned and the boys happened upon a dead mother with 6 pups and those are the ones we have followed. Who is the dad? How do we not know that he knocked up more who also had pups?

Just a theory, but Arya told Nymeria that she was going home. The North / Starks / Winterfell are the historical "home" of direwolves. The direwolves have an innate connection with the Starks for 1000s of years. Could Nymeria sense that Arya is in trouble and "rally the troops" and show up with a pack of direwolves to Winterfell? They arrive to see Ghost wrecking shop and understand which side they're on and join the fray.

Seems way more interesting than Howland Reed's appearance.

/add meme "Stop saying Nymeria. Nymeria is not going to happen."
chase128
AG
I got the impression when Arya met Nymeria on her way to WF last season that Nymeria wasn't wanting to follow Arya anymore.

I'd love to see more wolf action but I keep hearing it's too tough for CGI for some reason. I hope we at least see Ghost fighting alongside Jon for a short bit.
jtstanley4621
AG
TheDraw said:

I love how any analysis of any still from Game of Thrones has the brightness turned up to 1000 because the show is so damn dark
jenn96
AG
If we see any Nymeria and her pack at all the rest of the season it will be the best kept secret in Games of Thrones history. All the producers, actors etc have always said that the wolves are just too hard to do, and they focused on the dragons instead. I would LOVE a ghost-nymeria wolf army but I would be astonished to see it.
Thisguy1
I've seen this theory mentioned for a few years now. I feel like someone said it came from the books, but I may be wrong on that.

I don't know that it was a pack of direwolves that she got together or just a big pack of wolves.
Dad
AG
I know since the Hold the Door episode there have been theories that Bran might have made the mad king go mad too with the whole "burn them all" thing.

Does anyone have any theories about how that might happen?
Geralt of Rivia
S
aggie-master said:

I know since the Hold the Door episode there have been theories that Bran might have made the mad king go mad too with the whole "burn them all" thing.

Maybe Bran wargs into the Mad King, and while he is there somebody (Dany?) gives the command to the dragons to "burn them all" while referring to all of the wights/white walkers

Edit: I know that I've read that theory somewhere, probably on this thread
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Thisguy1 said:

I've seen this theory mentioned for a few years now. I feel like someone said it came from the books, but I may be wrong on that.

I don't know that it was a pack of direwolves that she got together or just a big pack of wolves.

In the books Nymerias pack is hundreds strong and hunting in the woods near the Band of Brothers (I think)

I believe I read in this thread that during an interview with GRRM he mentioned in reference to the Nymeria Pack that, as an author, you don't mention hanging an axe on the wall in chapter 3 and not use it in chapter 33 when it's available... (something like that)
smokeythebear
AG
Geralt of Rivia said:

aggie-master said:

Maybe Bran wargs into the Mad King, and while he is there somebody (Dany?) gives the command to the dragons to "burn them all" while referring to all of the wights/white walkers

Edit: I know that I've read that theory somewhere, probably on this thread
The problem with that theory is that Hodor was near Bran in both the present and the past. There was some sort of issue with Bran warging into Hodor in the present while also viewing him in the past. This doesn't work for the Mad King because he is dead in the present so Bran can't warg into him. Without knowing a lot more about how this feedback issue really works, I think we have to assume Bran is warging into the person in the present to be able to affect their past.

All that to say, it doesn't dispel the notion that the original 3ER could have been guilty of making the Mad King go crazy and he had to show Bran how the feedback issue works and used Hodor to warn Bran of the dangers of staying in the past so Bran didn't make the same mistake as the 3ER did with the Mad King.
HtownAg92
AG
Episode IV said:

Thisguy1 said:

In the books Nymerias pack is hundreds strong and hunting in the woods near the Band of Brothers (I think)

I believe I read in this thread that during an interview with GRRM he mentioned in reference to the Nymeria Pack that, as an author, you don't mention hanging an axe on the wall in chapter 3 and not use it in chapter 33 when it's available... (something like that)
I've only read the books once so this is spotty memory, but weren't there some POV scenes from a wolf's perspective (someone warging in)? I remember the taste of blood, cracking of bones, etc. Was that Nymeria or Bran's wolf?

I can see Arya telling Bran, "Hey, could you call my dog, please. Thanks."
PDWT_12
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Episode IV said:

Thisguy1 said:

I've only read the books once so this is spotty memory, but weren't there some POV scenes from a wolf's perspective (someone warging in)? I remember the taste of blood, cracking of bones, etc. Was that Nymeria or Bran's wolf?

Both. Arya wargs into Nymeria in the books in her dreams. She is "dreaming" as Nymeria when she pulls Catelyn's body out of the river before the BwB finds her. Jon, Bran, and Arya all show warging abilities in the book, and I think Martin has mentioned all the Stark children have the ability to do so.

The show has only shown Bran to have the ability.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TheDraw said:

Those arrows are going to be really distracting during the battle.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
PDWT_12 said:

HtownAg92 said:

Episode IV said:

Thisguy1 said:

Both. Arya wargs into Nymeria in the books in her dreams. She is "dreaming" as Nymeria when she pulls Catelyn's body out of the river before the BwB finds her. Jon, Bran, and Arya all show warging abilities in the book, and I think Martin has mentioned all the Stark children have the ability to do so.

The show has only shown Bran to have the ability.

Yeah well... Rickon couldn't even see 11 seconds into the future and see that he needed to ZIG ZAG!!!!!!
PDWT_12
AG
Should have gone to Skagos to ride unicorns like Book-Rickon.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
smokeythebear
AG
TheDraw said:

What is this supposed to show us?
plowboy1065
S
We haven't sent the NK do anything except sit on a horse, chunk a spear, and raise his arms. How much of a badass is he really with a weapon is going to be interesting
TheDraw
AG
smokeythebear said:

TheDraw said:

What is this supposed to show us?
the dragons
Phrasing
AG
Good find! It took me a while. It's like that 3D wall art - you have keep staring and squint your eyes just right and then you see it!
smokeythebear
AG
Oh, another relevant question I saw posed and not answered while catching up on the thread is about the importance of valyrian steel swords in the battle. Dragon glass does kill white walkers, and it also does fight and kill wights. But an axe made of wood with dragon glass as the head will be shattered if struck by a WW's sword (or Arya's double-sided spear). The Valyrian steel swords will be extremely important in hand-to-hand combat with the WWs themselves to block and parry for example.
smokeythebear
AG
I guess I didn't watch the previews clip close enough. Is that the unsullied army? What's the context?
MW03
AG
I don't know if I've made this fact up in my head, pulled it from one of the books years back, or saw it on the show, but isn't valyrian steel forged by dragon fire?

On the other hand, I assume dragon glass is obsidian, which Magic School Bus taught me is rock that has melted into lave and then rapidly cooled.

Dragon fire swords
Dragon glass weapons
Literal dragons

These seem to be the keys to jacking up White Walkers.
aggietony2010
AG
MW03 said:

I don't know if I've made this fact up in my head, pulled it from one of the books years back, or saw it on the show, but isn't valyrian steel forged by dragon fire?

On the other hand, I assume dragon glass is obsidian, which Magic School Bus taught me is rock that has melted into lave and then rapidly cooled.

Dragon fire swords
Dragon glass weapons
Literal dragons

The secrets of forging valyrian steel were lost during the Doom. Some suspect dragons were involved, because it's Valyria after all. There's also speculation blood magic may be involved.

But for the show purposes, it's a mystery, and will likely remain so.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
55 hours...
smokeythebear
AG
aggietony2010 said:

MW03 said:

Dragon fire swords
Dragon glass weapons
Literal dragons

The secrets of forging valyrian steel were lost during the Doom. Some suspect dragons were involved, because it's Valyria after all. There's also speculation blood magic may be involved.

But for the show purposes, it's a mystery, and will likely remain so.
Just to make sure we're consistent with the show, it doesn't require dragon fire to melt the Valyrian steel, but perhaps dragon fire is necessary in producing the elements imbued into the steel?
chiken
AG
In season 3/4 Jaimes father melted down Ned Starks valerian steel sword. He said "it takes a special smith to know how to do it, and the best was invited here". So it's possible and it doesn't require dragon fire.

If this point was already made, I apologize. I didn't read all of the comments.
First Page Last Page
Page 150 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.