****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,699 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
EFE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
smokeythebear said:

aggietony2010 said:

MW03 said:

I don't know if I've made this fact up in my head, pulled it from one of the books years back, or saw it on the show, but isn't valyrian steel forged by dragon fire?

On the other hand, I assume dragon glass is obsidian, which Magic School Bus taught me is rock that has melted into lave and then rapidly cooled.

Dragon fire swords
Dragon glass weapons
Literal dragons

These seem to be the keys to jacking up White Walkers.

The secrets of forging valyrian steel were lost during the Doom. Some suspect dragons were involved, because it's Valyria after all. There's also speculation blood magic may be involved.

But for the show purposes, it's a mystery, and will likely remain so.
Just to make sure we're consistent with the show, it doesn't require dragon fire to melt the Valyrian steel, but perhaps dragon fire is necessary in producing the elements imbued into the steel?

The metal working nerd in me noticed that Gendry was working on a forged welded billet similar to what would be done making Damascus steel. Perhaps the final step would be heating it with dragon fire before the final quench or some such nonsense.
Mayor West
AG
aggietony2010 said:

MW03 said:

I don't know if I've made this fact up in my head, pulled it from one of the books years back, or saw it on the show, but isn't valyrian steel forged by dragon fire?

On the other hand, I assume dragon glass is obsidian, which Magic School Bus taught me is rock that has melted into lave and then rapidly cooled.

Dragon fire swords
Dragon glass weapons
Literal dragons

The secrets of forging valyrian steel were lost during the Doom. Some suspect dragons were involved, because it's Valyria after all. There's also speculation blood magic may be involved.

Just wait until someone learns the hard way that their passed down for generations Valyrian steel sword is a forgery.
Phrasing
AG
Mayor West said:

aggietony2010 said:

MW03 said:

Dragon fire swords
Dragon glass weapons
Literal dragons

Just wait until someone learns the hard way that their passed down for generations Valyrian steel sword is a forgery.
"Damn it Grandfather! I always knew you were a cheap ass mother ****er!!"

\gets wasted by a walker
jenn96
AG
Valerian steel can be re-forged but can't be created - the secret to creating it died in the Doom of Valeria. Hence Tywin's turning Ice into swords for his family since the Lannisters don't have a Valerian steel sword anymore. It's a finite resource. But a good blacksmith can rework it to make new things.

I do think dragon fire was a critical element but that hasn't been confirmed in the books or show.
MaroonStain
AG
jenn96 said:

If we see any Nymeria and her pack at all the rest of the season it will be the best kept secret in Games of Thrones history. All the producers, actors etc have always said that the wolves are just too hard to do, and they focused on the dragons instead. I would LOVE a ghost-nymeria wolf army but I would be astonished to see it.

Those were not horsey feet in the Season 8 trailer. Those were wolf feet and a huge-ginormous pack of wolves.
Thisguy1
We've always just assumed valyrian steel was just damascus
smokeythebear
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

smokeythebear said:

aggietony2010 said:

MW03 said:

Dragon fire swords
Dragon glass weapons
Literal dragons

Just to make sure we're consistent with the show, it doesn't require dragon fire to melt the Valyrian steel, but perhaps dragon fire is necessary in producing the elements imbued into the steel?

The metal working nerd in me noticed that Gendry was working on a forged welded billet similar to what would be done making Damascus steel. Perhaps the final step would be heating it with dragon fire before the final quench or some such nonsense.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you took a Damascus steel sword and melted it down to forge two separate swords, you would be ruining the thing that makes it Damascus, right?

Based on what the show has taught us, the steel itself must have some different combination of elements. It's not just a technique of forging and shaping.
EFE
AG
If done properly reforging it would just result in more layers. Would likely just muddle the hamon.
smokeythebear
AG
In the show, they showed the entire sword being melted into a pot and poured into two different molds.

EDIT: Looks like I got a bit confused between traditional Damascus steel and the fake Damascus steel aka pattern-welding. Perhaps the original Damascus steel could have been poured and reformed in such a manner as depicted in the show.
Urban Ag
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

If done properly reforging it would just result in more layers. Would likely just muddle the hamon.
Dude, you beat me by like five minutes. I was totally going to post how I hate when my Damascus steel gets the hamon muddled. Hate it.

It's like when I was wiring the new addition to my house and my wife's doofus boss stopped by. He's all "so you wiring everything 220?" And I'm like "yeah, 220, 221, whatever it takes". What a dewsh.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
For ****s sake who cares

Is it Sunday yet
MosesHallRAB04
AG
I always thought valerian steel had dragon glass somehow mixed in with it during forging.
MW03
AG
smokeythebear said:

aggietony2010 said:

MW03 said:

Dragon fire swords
Dragon glass weapons
Literal dragons

Sorry, that's what i meant. That the dragon fire changed the steel somehow. That doesn't explain the dragon glass, though. Molten steel is a hell of a lot hotter (PUNS!) than lava, I think, so it's not just really, really hot forged weapons.

Who knows.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

For ****s sake who cares

Is it Sunday yet

These posts are worse than any discussion. Close the thread.
Bunk Moreland
Brian Earl Spilner said:

For ****s sake who cares

Is it Sunday yet

These posts are worse than any discussion. Close the thread.

Quote:

55 hours...

smokeythebear
AG

For ****s sake who cares

Is it Sunday yet
My apologies. Carry on arguing about if the Night King is picking up Howland Reed on his way to the Red Keep or not.
gigemJTH12
AG
To kill time. And bc I'm curious. Vote below on what you think the opening scene is
gigemJTH12
AG
Straight into battle
gigemJTH12
AG
Something other than battle. (Kings Landing/elsewhere/some kind of flashback)
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
MW03 said:

Sorry, that's what i meant. That the dragon fire changed the steel somehow. That doesn't explain the dragon glass, though. Molten steel is a hell of a lot hotter (PUNS!) than lava, I think, so it's not just really, really hot forged weapons.

Who knows.
I'm no Gendry, but lava gets up to 1200C.

Has anyone tried a rectal thermometer on a dragon?
CFTXAG10
AG
I voted straight into battle. I think similar to last week when they opened with Jaime at trial after the ending staredown with Bran. This episode will start with the battle.
HtownAg92
AG
Something artsy and quaint, like a closeup of a winter dove or otter minding his own business and foraging in the snow, then some noise catches his attention, he looks over his shoulder, widen shot and focus past the dove / otter to see the front line of WW heading right to left. Then a full on startle when the first firebomb blasts just short of the front line. Then pan to the fire as it fizzles out as WW rides past, then full on battle for next 60 minutes.
gigemJTH12
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

I voted straight into battle. I think similar to last week when they opened with Jaime at trial after the ending staredown with Bran. This episode will start with the battle.

Meant to say everyone should comment their reasoning! I'm very intrigued by how this thing starts
EFE
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

MW03 said:

Who knows.

There's records of it some of the books Sam stole from old town, it's one of the secret steps to forging Valerian steel.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
smokeythebear said:

For ****s sake who cares

Is it Sunday yet
My apologies. Carry on arguing about if the Night King is picking up Howland Reed on his way to the Red Keep or not.

I Haven't posted anything about reed

But we literally had a whole 2 pages on the differences in Damascus steel which has nothing to do with the show.
smokeythebear
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

MW03 said:

Who knows.

There's records of it some of the books Sam stole from old town, it's one of the secret steps to forging Valerian steel.
Annoying Old Maester: "Yes I'm very familiar with Maester Pigley's procedure to take the rectal temperature of a dragon, but it has been strictly forbidden"

Sam: "Well why was it forbidden?"

Annoying Old Maester: "Do you know how Maester Pigly died?"

Sam: "N... no, I don't recall reading how he died..."

Annoying Old Maester: "Dragon diarrhea"
MW03
AG

MW03 said:

Who knows.

As any 911 truther will tell you, steel melts at 1500C
Belton Ag
AG

smokeythebear said:

For ****s sake who cares

Is it Sunday yet

I Haven't posted anything about reed

But we literally had a whole 2 pages on the differences in Damascus steel which has nothing to do with the show.
Reminds me about having a page or so of a Better Call Saul thread devoted to phone technology at the time and whether or not it would have been possible to put multiple calls on hold and transfer them. Or whether the drug kingpin should have made people sign non-disclosure agreements before they started work on his clandestine methamphetamine factory.
Stive
AG
The non-disclosure thing is still one of the more baffling things aTmAg has ever argued and THAT'S saying a lot.
FIDO95
AG
MW03 said:

smokeythebear said:

aggietony2010 said:

MW03 said:

Dragon fire swords
Dragon glass weapons
Literal dragons

Who knows.

Howland Reed knows.

My new prediction since he is not arriving in Winterfell in time is that when Jon and Dan move south towards KL they stop by and get the truth,... and Dawn to prove it.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aTmAg
AG
Stive said:

The non-disclosure thing is still one of the more baffling things aTmAg has ever argued and THAT'S saying a lot.
It's likely the dudes who made Valerian steel swords signed NDAs regarding their techniques. Look how well that worked.
Cerdock
AG
Ok, here's a question. When the nk and friends came after bran and the three eyed raven while they were holed-up in his cave under the weir wood tree - Meera tried desperately to wake up bran from his dream but couldn't. She then tried to wake up Hodor who was also "asleep" but she couldn't (tried a couple of times). Hodor was in the dream (of Winterfell when they were kids). Meera was trying to wake Hodor up BEFORE bran wargs into Hodor in the dream. So, the question is: why couldn't Meera wake up Hodor? What does it mean? Does it mean that if you are alive in the present, but bran dreams of you in the past can he effect you in the present as in Hodor's case? If so, could be a powerful weapon. Season 6 episode 5 I think
SpreadsheetAg
AG
What would be awesome is if The Iron Throne had Valerian steel mixed in it.

The White Walkers win BoW and Jon and Rhaegal and a handful of survivors have fled to the Iron Islands. The Night King and his army head south and defeat TGC, sack KL, and turn Cersei and all her minions to wights.

As the Night King sits down on the Iron Throne for the first time he feels a ***** as he, his lieutenants, and his entire army of wights all turn to snow powder.

Fin.
IronRed13
AG
Episode IV said:

What would be awesome is if The Iron Throne had Valerian steel mixed in it.
Counting on that. Iron Throne is dismantled to finally beat the WW with new forged weapons. Betting all the swords are Valerian, and breaking the wheel is symbolic and literal
TheDraw
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 151 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.