****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,486 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Phrasing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not a stupid question - I was wondering that as well. IIRC- Qyburn said something along the lines of "if one of them doesn't survive the BoW" (paraprhasing). So I think the are waiting to see if they both die up there, and if not then they want Bronn to kill them. Sort of like insurance. So, no, I don't expect to see him in Ep 3 - and if we do - it will be at the very end after the battle is all sorted out.
FIDO95
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Howland Reed time.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Please let this be true!! Bring Dawn and have it light up as lightbringer when Jon grabs the hilt before striking down the NK and ending the night.

On a side note, in the preview for 8x3 Dany states "the dead are already here". I hope she is not referring to the Crypts of Winterfell. Talk about the ultimate Trojan horse.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
gigemJTH12
AG
I thought about this, but that would be an inexcusable time warp...right?
BowSowy
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Not necessarily, he could've been commanded to kill them shortly after Jaime left KL which means he'd arrive shortly after Jaime got to Winterfell. I could see a scene where he catches Jaime/Tyrion offguard and is about to kill them but has a change of heart when he sees the absolute chaos of what's going on
Bregxit
AG
FIDO95 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Howland Reed time.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Please let this be true!! Bring Dawn and have it light up as lightbringer when Jon grabs the hilt before striking down the NK and ending the night.

On a side note, in the preview for 8x3 Dany states "the dead are already here". I hope she is not referring to the Crypts of Winterfell. Talk about the ultimate Trojan horse.

Reed returned Dawn to House Dayne due to his respect for Arthur Dayne.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Didn't Ned do that?
CFTXAG10
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Yea, I was trying to remember the timeline for when he would have left KL, but don't remember them ever showing him doing so
Bregxit
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Didn't Ned do that?

Probably...either way, Reed doesn't have it to bring.
Liquid Wrench
clinker03 said:

Not a stupid question - I was wondering that as well. IIRC- Qyburn said something along the lines of "if one of them doesn't survive the BoW" (paraprhasing). So I think the are waiting to see if they both die up there, and if not then they want Bronn to kill them. Sort of like insurance. So, no, I don't expect to see him in Ep 3 - and if we do - it will be at the very end after the battle is all sorted out.
Agreed. I just hope they don't make a joke out of it.
gigemJTH12
AG
Well the time between seasons is when Jamie ride to Winterfell. Bronn was definitely in KL this season. So technically in episode one they were a months travel apart from each other.

I know that's not a perfect science on the show, but Bronn showing up this week is kind of a stretch
BowSowy
AG
Oh ****, you're right. For some reason I thought Bronn was given the crossbow last season
ChipFTAC01
AG
I keep meaning to throw out this theory that I had after re watching Ep1. When Bronn is laying with his lady friends he keeps talking about how he's the only one who's ever shot a dragon. Then Qyburn comes in with his crossbow and says theres a wagon of gold outside. Would it be completely Bronn ex machina for him to show up with the Scorpion to kill the NK's dragon?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Qyburn's scorpion barely pierced the skin and then it got smashed to bits. I don't think that's a viable option. Night King apparently has some Nolan Ryan javelin strength.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Ah, forgot it got smashed. Also, I reckon Dany wouldn't have just left it sitting on the field of battle after the Lannister/Tarly army was defeated.

We need Bard with the black arrow.
M.C. Swag
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Well the time between seasons is when Jamie ride to Winterfell. Bronn was definitely in KL this season. So technically in episode one they were a months travel apart from each other.

I know that's not a perfect science on the show, but Bronn showing up this week is kind of a stretch
Fun Fact: That scene with Bronn and Qyburn was actually filmed LAST season. They just didn't use it until this season.

As an aside, we've thrown 'travel time warp' to the wind with this show. It is what it is. There's not enough screen time left to allow for a 'natural journey length" of time to pass.
Teddy Perkins
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

I keep meaning to throw out this theory that I had after re watching Ep1. When Bronn is laying with his lady friends he keeps talking about how he's the only one who's ever shot a dragon. Then Qyburn comes in with his crossbow and says theres a wagon of gold outside. Would it be completely Bronn ex machina for him to show up with the Scorpion to kill the NK's dragon?
Arya is taking out the WW dragon with a dragon glass arrow to the eye.

Never hold! Never aim!
Luke Smith
Obviously a pretty popular theory right now is the Night King doesn't partake in the battle of Winterfell but instead heads to kings landing to make a bigger army while whittling down or eliminating the Winterfell army.

I just don't know if that will happen because

1) How will the Winterfell army sustain heavy casualties and then march South and face a larger army with the Night King?
2) What happens to Cersei in this scenario? I feel like it would be anti-climactic just to have the NK kill her? Maybe not idk

Thoughts?
jtstanley4621
AG
Luke Smith said:

Obviously a pretty popular theory right now is the Night King doesn't partake in the battle of Winterfell but instead heads to kings landing to make a bigger army while whittling down or eliminating the Winterfell army.

I just don't know if that will happen because

1) How will the Winterfell army sustain heavy casualties and then march South and face a larger army with the Night King?
2) What happens to Cersei in this scenario? I feel like it would be anti-climactic just to have the NK kill her? Maybe not idk

Thoughts?
The Night King sniped a dragon all by himself. I don't think he needs to worry too much about tactics in battle. The "him going around" theory is interesting, but I feel like Bran being there as bait especially would prevent him from doing that.
BowSowy
AG
I swear, I've read somewhere that the NK raising an entire army of dead (like at Hardhome) isn't something he can do often. But I can't remember if that came from the showrunners or was just a fan thing
gigemJTH12
AG
No I get it..throw the time stuff out the window. But the fact that last episode they were that far apart...I don't think they could get away with it this soon.
FIDO95
AG
dlance said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Didn't Ned do that?

Yes. Ned took it to Ashara Dayne who was rumored to be Jon's mother. How much of that story is true?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KSigAg12
AG
Don't forget her reaction to Sansa asking about the north.

Right now here's where we are at:

1. The dead overrun Winterfell with the Night King there. No way there wouldn't be at least a few survivors, but basically they would be completely screwed unless they went to the Iron Islands and let the dead overrun Cersei eventually.

2. The dead overrun Winterfell and the Night King torches King's Landing. Shows over in Episode 3, won't happen.

3. The dead are beaten back at Winterfell, the Night King torches King's Landing, surprise there's a whole new army of the dead to take on. They could still have the hope of taking out the NK to take them all out though.

4. The dead and Night King are completely defeated at Winterfell. Back to the Game. Dany and Jon, Cersei and her brothers, what about Bron, all of that for the last 3 episodes.

I know how popular the King's Landing NK theory is, but I don't think it allows for the story to fully play out. I think he's at Winterfell and somehow they find a way to win, but at a heavy cost. And Cersei will have a clear advantage going into the last three episodes (good because that means she's going to die).
combat wombat™
AG
OMG, people, I gave up trying to keep up with this thread on page 132.

I'm not excited to lose some of the good guys next week.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
dlance said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Didn't Ned do that?

In the books, yes ... but this is the show - is it mentioned that that is the way that it happened?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
M.C. Swag said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Fun Fact: That scene with Bronn and Qyburn was actually filmed LAST season. They just didn't use it until this season.

As an aside, we've thrown 'travel time warp' to the wind with this show. It is what it is. There's not enough screen time left to allow for a 'natural journey length" of time to pass.
To be fair, Jaime left at the end of season 7; but the scene is S8E1 could have been just a day or two later... he could be right behind Jaime, or tailing him the whole time.
M.C. Swag
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

No I get it..throw the time stuff out the window. But the fact that last episode they were that far apart...I don't think they could get away with it this soon.
lol dude the LF and Varys stuff 2 seasons ago broke the mold for what should/shouldn't be 'allowable'. Those dudes were hopping around the continent like they had mario tubes.
M.C. Swag
AG
Episode IV said:

M.C. Swag said:

gigemJTH12 said:

To be fair, Jaime left at the end of season 7; but the scene is S8E1 could have been just a day or two later... he could be right behind Jaime, or tailing him the whole time.
Yes, that's a good point. It bears reminding that the scenes, as they play to us, aren't necessarily sequential.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
FIDO95 said:

dlance said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Didn't Ned do that?

Yes. Ned took it to Ashara Dayne who was rumored to be Jon's mother. How much of that story is true?

Well I would say none considering we know Lyanna is Jon/Aegon's mother.

Ned took the sword Dawn back to House Dayne and she committed suicide after learning of the fate of her brother. There was rumor then about a stillborn baby or a stolen baby.....and that's where the Ned and ******* rumor came from but I don't think any of that is true or relevant now except she killed herself.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Episode IV said:

dlance said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Didn't Ned do that?

In the books, yes ... but this is the show - is it mentioned that that is the way that it happened?

No never mentioned what happened to it after the TOJ as far as I know in the show.

Oh boy now we have a double reason for Howland to show up - legitimize Jon's claim (to Dany) and bring Dawn...... lol.
chipotle
KSigAg12 said:

I know how popular the King's Landing NK theory is, but I don't think it allows for the story to fully play out. I think he's at Winterfell and somehow they find a way to win, but at a heavy cost. And Cersei will have a clear advantage going into the last three episodes (good because that means she's going to die).

I think another possibility is Cersei brings her army in at the last minute to finish up the NK's Winterfell army (there might be more) just like the knights of the Vale did at the battle of the b****ds. That way it's easier to finish up what's left of Team Danny having been weakened by the first siege of the dead. That's why she was all, "good" when homeslice told her the NK had broken through the wall. Things were going as planned.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is my theory #2.

1. NK heading to KL
2. Cersei is planning to come in at the last second to "save the day", but she's planning to take out Dany after, or try to politic her way into keeping the throne
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

HBO publicly confirmed the runtimes for each Season 8 episode in March. Sunday night's "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" was the last "normal" Game of Thrones episode at 58 minutes long. Episode 3, however, will run for 1 hour and 22 minutes that's four minutes longer than Season 8, Episode 4 and two minutes longer than Episodes 5 and 6.

The longest Game of Thrones episode of all time will be 82 minutes long and feature the longest continuous battle sequence in cinematic history, longer even than the 40-minute Battle of Helm's Deep in Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.
So let's assume that 50 minutes of the episode is pure battle. (Which I think is generous.)

That still leaves over a half hour of runtime. A LOT can happen this episode. What else do we think will happen? Will we get more "aftermath" than we're expecting? Will we actually see a part of the retreat to wherever they are going next?

IMO there's an entire "Phase 2" to this episode that hasn't really been discussed or shown in trailers.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

HBO publicly confirmed the runtimes for each Season 8 episode in March. Sunday night's "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" was the last "normal" Game of Thrones episode at 58 minutes long. Episode 3, however, will run for 1 hour and 22 minutes that's four minutes longer than Season 8, Episode 4 and two minutes longer than Episodes 5 and 6.

The longest Game of Thrones episode of all time will be 82 minutes long and feature the longest continuous battle sequence in cinematic history, longer even than the 40-minute Battle of Helm's Deep in Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.
So let's assume that 50 minutes of the episode is pure battle. (Which I think is generous.)

That still leaves over a half hour of runtime. A LOT can happen this episode. What else do we think will happen? Will we get more "aftermath" than we're expecting? Will we actually see a part of the retreat to wherever they are going next?

IMO there's an entire "Phase 2" to this episode that hasn't really been discussed or shown in trailers.
My guess on the 80 minutes:

5 - Leadup
45 - Battle
5- flashback / Bran-sight
10 - mourning the losses
15 - Aftermath and setup for next episode
Blindside05
AG
I personally like the theory of the NK heading to KL. I don't know exactly how that would work with the golden company and what not, but still. I see some poetic justice with Cersei killed by the NK after she basically blew off the threat when everyone came to KL.
DartAg1970
AG
I thought the old Three Eyed Raven called Ser Arthur Dayne the Sword of the Morning in Bran's flashback. I know Dawn and Morning can be synonymous, but does that make a difference?
First Page Last Page
Page 140 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.