*** BRIGHT *** (Will Smith, dir. David Ayer)

16,103 Views | 153 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by fig96
Icecream_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Watched this and valerian this week (I like bad movies, sue me) and this was much better in everything but eyebrows...and sunshine.

While not as good this reminded me of Rouge one in that it was slow to build, but when the action starts its non stop until the end
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Thought it was fun and I hope there is a sequel. The certainly set up enough back story for one or two more.
Texags is garbage
Man, some of those critics father's never took them fishing. I enjoyed the film.
www.JimboFisher.Ninja
HeadGames
AG
another angry ag said:

Man, some of those critics father's never took them fishing. I enjoyed the film.

These are the same critics/clowns that thought the last Jedi was this year's Citizen Kane, so their opinion is really just worthless now.
captkirk
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

My verdict: definitely not a good movie but not worst movie of the year or anything.
This.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
HeadGames said:

another angry ag said:

These are the same critics/clowns that thought the last Jedi was this year's Citizen Kane, so their opinion is really just worthless now.
I enjoyed it too. I also think there needs to be an RT for critics. So we can judge those a-holes right out of their worthless jobs.
AggieGunslinger
PooDoo
AG
I enjoyed it too... the fairy murders were kinda disturbing though.
Pman17
AG
I really liked it. I can sorta see why people wouldn't like it. Can't wait for the next one, I can see this as a trilogy.
Bob_Ag
AG
Everything about this movie was unique and it certainly feels like a bit of a paradigm shift. The concept, the world, the production, the release, etc., made it very fun to watch. Sure, it lacked in some areas, but was it entertaining? You bet, which is why we turn the tv on in the first place.
digital_ag
AG
I enjoyed it. I really liked the class/race dynamic. Compelling story, characters that I actually felt some attachment to, villains that had some real threat to them.

Whoever it was that said it probably would have been better as a 7 episode season is on to something. At times the setup felt rushed. Or there is just a lot more of the social aspect they could explore. I definitely hope they release a few more.

What happened at the climax with Will Smith was super predictable but it didn't cheapen it too much.

Overall it was solid.
ATM9000
AG
People liked this movie?

One of the weirdest mismashings of genres of movies that I've watched in a while and for sure in the how the hell did this get made category of movies.

There's no way in hell anybody would have stuck around in that weird mishmash of worlds for a full season of episodes.

I don't agree with movie critics on a lot of things but there was nothing good about that movie... it was just... weird.
PooDoo
AG
I really want to see Orc's playing football!
swimmerbabe11
You underestimate my commitment to the Syfy channel
Texags is garbage
PooDoo said:

I really want to see Orc's playing football!

Jimbo didn't get any Orcs to commit during early signing day... /TexAGsPremiumPosters
www.JimboFisher.Ninja
letters at random
Watched it. I enjoyed it a good deal.
Boo Weekley
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't believe it's getting slammed so hard on RT. I would have guessed this could score in the 80's.
BCG Disciple
AG
Enjoyed it for reasons I'm not exactly sure. Maybe I scored it points for well made absurdity? Definitely would not have paid money to see it, and that may be why I'm able to enjoy something like this a bit more.
BCSGrubber
AG
I have definitely seen worse this year.

Like others have said I would have really like to see this as mini series. Something like Luke Cage where they explore both guys back stories, them being teamed up originally, the shooting, the recovery and then the final act could have been two epiaodes.

Maybe that is just how my brain thinks now when it comes to Netflix shows.
Madmarttigan
AG
The ending was a fantasy chosen one cliche but I really enjoyed it. It may have been rushed but it was an introduction to one of the most unique worlds in a show or movie that I have seen in quite a while. I would love to see it more developed. I am strongly in favor of any fantasy media getting a shot just to see some of the amazing material out there make it to the screen. This was a bit superficial due to time constraints but I would consider it an overall win for fantasy movies. Better than the effin hobbit movies....

I think it could have been something special in a show format, but I'm sure smith comes at a premium price.
CapCityAg89
AG
tv1113 said:

I think it could have been something special in a show format, but I'm sure smith comes at a premium price.
I agree with the show format comment - I think it would've made a very good 7 show season with the story arc from the movie, but better world building. Then either a second-half, 7 additional episodes with the "sequel" (Scott Ward becoming a magic user) and the "dark lord" big bad.

I'm not actually sure what Smith brings to this. Perhaps as a stand-alone film, having a bigger star makes it more marketable, but I'm not sure of the marketing play as was discussed in the early part of the thread.

I do think the character needs to be black as the dichotomy with the orc-ism is better that way, but there are plenty of talented guys out there who could've delivered the role as well. DareDevil is the best of the Netflix-Marvel shows and there were no A-list actors in that series. I think that would've been a better model and really is the strength of the Netflix format.

Great premise. Poor design.
Bluto06
AG
I think if you replace Will Smith's character with some unknown actor, this thread doesn't exist.
3rdGen2015
AG
Watched it last night. The world was more interesting to me than the events of the movie. Everything that happened after Will Smith killed the other cops was bad.
Philo B 93
It was a very typical gritty LA buddy cop movie with orcs, elves, prophesies, a dark lord and magic. I guess that's not so typical. I loved it.
Velvet Jones
AG
Wife and I enjoyed it. Will watch again and I'd like to see further exploration of the world.
Tripacer
I watched it last night too. It was not a bad movie and I thought it was entertaining. And I like the idea of it becoming a series. The only thing that kept bothering me was that they never seemed to keep up with the wand. They would be in some action scene where no one is holding the bag, they would be running away where no one has the wand, and then all of a sudden they would have it again. It has the power of a nuclear bomb. You would think the director would have more concern with the continuity of where it is.
schmendeler
AG
it was marginal. glad I didn't "pay" to see it. it was like a mix of 5th element (leeloo/tikka),(aliens/fantasy races) and training day.

they even had the exact same plot twist of training day with the family member of the gang leader linked back to earlier in the movie.
wangus12
AG
Watched it with the family. Not great, but everyone liked it for what its worth
Saw it last night. It started off VERY strong. It began to lose its momentum after Will Smith's character killed his fellow cops. I think it was a result of lazy writing which led to a very predictable ending. The scene in the restroom with them professing their respect for one another was cringe-worthy. I don't think I would've been upset paying an admission ticket to see it. I had my fair share of paying money to see absolute garbage ( Daddy's Home 2). All things considered, it was an original piece of storytelling that's never been done before, but it suffered from a second half of lazy writing that took away from the strong first half.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I thought when he smoked the dirty cops it was about to get real good and it came up short. It wasn't bad but I am glad I didn't pay to see it.
schmendeler
AG
Discussed it with a co-worker today. I think lazy and thieving would be the two best words to describe it. Lazy storytelling and world building and every single part of the movie was stolen from some other movie. Like the makers just decided to rip off any cool bit they remembered from movies they'd seen.
The Debt
Which movie are they stealing from?
MBAR
AG
I mean, there were some scenes that were basically Training Day with fantasy elements. When I saw the trailer, I immediately thought of Alien Nation and there was some of that here too. People calling it original aren't looking past the fact that they basically threw in some Orcs instead of black people but otherwise this is a lot like other films that Ayer has done in the genre. Also, I feel that Joel Edgerton was told to go watch Bad Boys and try to play Martin's character but with more makeup.

I think the premise had some really cool promise, but they did a HORRIBLE job with some casting and it really does rip off too many films for me to be cool with. I thought the bad cop was horribly cast (this dude always plays ridiculous characters and I can't buy him as some evil cop gone wrong. Margaret Cho as a bad cop? Equally as horrible.

I thought Will Smith killed it though. Dude is a movie star through and through. Thought Edgerton was the victim of bad writing but did a good job sometimes despite that.

All in all I thought it was mediocre and entertaining enough but I don't think it has an original bone in it's body. I don't feel its anywhere near the worst film of the year (Did anyone watch the ****ing Dark Tower?) and It's no where near as bad as Suicide Squad either. Critics claiming that are completely unfair. I actually would be fine with Netflix doing more movies like this. I was reasonably entertained.
tlh3842
AG
I SERIOUSLY wish they would've made a mini series. The story and setting could have been much better spelled out over time. There were so many things missing and directions they could have went. I think the movie was fine, but I really wish the backstory could have had more time. So much mention of the "battle" 2000 years ago, but never actually described it. I'm a big fan of the Dresden files type stories, so I like the movie but wish it would have been more.

Like the fact that there's centaur cops? So much potential.
Tobias Funke
AG
As a huge huge fan of Training Day, I couldn't help being annoyed with how many scenes and plot devices were exact replicas. Other than that, entertaining movie, good action, some funny lines, Will Smith is movie magic, etc. about what I expected.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.