*** BRIGHT *** (Will Smith, dir. David Ayer)

16,106 Views | 153 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by fig96
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is Smith getting cash or stock?
M.C. Swag
AG
That ish looks bananas! lolol

Literally the only thing I'm hesitant about is the director being the Suicide Squad guy. That movie may have been the worst thing i've ever seen and this film looks even crazier (in terms of concept/scope). I'm worried it may be too much for him.

But...I love the gritty realism/fantasy combo. It's definitely unique.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I'm all in on this, but I just find it very funny that the MacGuffin for this film is.............a literal magic wand.

Hell, they were giving these out to 10 year old kids in the Harry Potter books!
KidDoc
AG
This looks awesome to me. Reminds me of the Shadowrun universe and also a bit of Dresden tales.

P.S. I'm a huge nerd so that may color my lenses a bit
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Max Power
AG
M.C. Swag said:

That ish looks bananas! lolol

Literally the only thing I'm hesitant about is the director being the Suicide Squad guy. That movie may have been the worst thing i've ever seen and this film looks even crazier (in terms of concept/scope). I'm worried it may be too much for him.

But...I love the gritty realism/fantasy combo. It's definitely unique.

He may have been responsible for that terrible film but he also did End of Watch and Fury, Fury in particular is outstanding.
Presley OBannons Sword
Does Tommy Lee Jones play the straight man?
Weimerica
GiveEmHellBill said:

I'm all in on this, but I just find it very funny that the MacGuffin for this film is.............a literal magic wand.

Hell, they were giving these out to 10 year old kids in the Harry Potter books!

And now you know why Harry Potter is actually a dystopian nightmare and why magicals are actually Eldritch horrors wearing human suits. Imagine real world people with magic that had almost no limits, yeah that's not going to end well. One person with magic could end the world, that's how dangerous it is.
TCTTS
AG
Madmarttigan
AG
This just makes me sad thinking about if anyone will do a real adaptation of Dresden files and not that scyfy abomination
The Debt
KidDoc said:

This looks awesome to me. Reminds me of the Shadowrun universe and also a bit of Dresden tales.

P.S. I'm a huge nerd so that may color my lenses a bit
I think the world could use a 3 film arc following Jake Armitage.

Part one, the cortex bomb and junkyard (guns focus)

Part two, the Dog Spirit and introduce more shadowrunners and Jester Spirit (magic focus)

Part three, Drake tower, Drake's volcano, death of a few comrades (hacking focus)

Then you do spinoffs on Amazon or Netflix exploring the world of hacker elves, pyro dwarves, and ferocious orcs.
fig96
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

Official Trailer

I'd missed this up till now but really dig the tone and look of the trailer.

A coworker and I were discussing the Netflix/theater model yesterday and trying to figure out some of what's already been discussed some. What I find interesting for this film in particular is that while I'd be interested to see it in theaters but might not get there, I will DEFINITELY watch it within a day or two of release on Netflix.

So how does that pay off for Netflix in the long term? Do we see a point where there's Netflix and Netflix Prime/Elite/Gold, where you pay 8 bucks a month for standard programming then another 5 bucks a month to get day and date release of Stranger Things, House of Cards, and their original features? Because I can totally see that working (and I'd probably pay it).
jabberwalkie09
AG
Just to make sure this doesn't get lost in the shuffle, new trailer.

swimmerbabe11
It looks fun but reviews are comparing it to the emoji movie
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Just looked up the reviews and it's getting slammed
titanmaster_race
I'm a little over an hour into it, and so far it is amazing. I love the completely original plot, world, setting, etc.! It's so refreshing in these days of endless remakes and sequels.

Also, Will Smith has had some great lines.

"You wanna die in a gunfight in a titty bar?"
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Glad to hear that it's just critics overreacting
bedofbrass33
AG
Not sure if sarcasm or serious
swimmerbabe11
The premise is really fun and so I hope you are being serious with that.
titanmaster_race
swimmerbabe11 said:

The premise is really fun and so I hope you are being serious with that.

Yes! I love fantasy stuff, so seeing it mixed in with a nitty gritty cop thriller is neat.
titanmaster_race
Is it a perfect movie? No. But it's entertaining as heck.

My biggest complaint so far: it rains way too much for this to really be set in LA
amercer
AG
I'm going to watch it, but some of the reviews are battlefield earth bad.
jabberwalkie09
AG
amercer said:

I'm going to watch it, but some of the reviews are battlefield earth bad.

I don't know if anything is that bad. Valerian and the city of a thousand planets may come close though.
watty
AG
Yeah I've seen several places review it as the worst movie of the year. I'll be interested to hear more opinions on this thread.
Olsen
AG
I think it's a good enough movie to have a sequel. The bad reviews were from the movie reviewers who hate to see it on Netflix instead of the theaters.
PatAg
AG
I always wonder about the critics impartiality in regards to these movies that dont go to release in traditional means.
Bunk Moreland
PatAg said:

I always wonder about the critics impartiality in regards to these movies that dont go to release in traditional means.

I've read some speculation that there could be something at play regarding this one.

Haven't seen it yet. Will watch sometime this weekend
MTAggie
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Is it a perfect movie? No. But it's entertaining as heck.

My biggest complaint so far: it rains way too much for this to really be set in LA
Do you even Blade Runner bro?
jabberwalkie09
AG
"Never know, swipe left."
BeastmodeAg
AG
I really enjoyed this movie! Would recommend
Madmarttigan
AG
I'm thinking that critics have something stuck up their ass about this movie, whether it is the bad taste Ayer left in their mouth from suicide squad, or something else remains to be seen. I will definitely give it a watch because I like watching something in 4k on my new TV

and after TLJ debacle I may not give a **** about what critics have to say anymore
HeadGames
AG
It's a fine Netflix movie, I would have been mad if I paid for it, but I "didn't".

Think it would have been better as a 7 episode series or something.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I enjoyed it. Feels like the first third or so if the movie kind of stumbled around a bit, but it took off after that and was a pretty good watch.

Smith and Edgerton were fantastic. Smith does have some pretty good one liners too.
Trident 88
AG
My 17 yo said, "It sucked." I'm not sure I would go that far, but I can't completely disagree either.

Great premise with below average writing. I agree that it would have worked much, much better as a series.
CapCityAg89
AG
I watched without any of this back story - I just thought it looked cool as a suggested for me film. I even thought it was a series at first.

I really liked the world they created. Orcs as the underclass was interesting. I thought the bad cop crew was overdone but served a purpose. Would've been better without the sergeant. The super powered elves were cool - hilarious how they all drove super cars.

The thing I really liked was how the wand was this super weapon but took training and was still a temperamental thing. I kept expecting Will Smith to pick it up and turn into a super hero. The fact that it was so difficult and he dumped it ASAP was great.

Overall about a 6. Entertaining but not great.
Bunk Moreland
My verdict: definitely not a good movie but not worst movie of the year or anything.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.