*** BRIGHT *** (Will Smith, dir. David Ayer)

16,115 Views | 153 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by fig96
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Okay, I really loved it. I felt like the ending was really really rushed. It almost felt like the movie was testing the waters for something bigger. I would thoroughly enjoy lots of spin offs and tv shows and stuff all based in this world.

I agree with everyone wishing for a tv show or a miniseries, but I think that desire just illustrates that they did a great job of world building.

Jacoby had some great moments, I feel like he's a bit of a poor man's Drax though.

Will Smith killed it..but it was kind of odd...the movie felt small for him somehow. Maybe that's just biased because he is so recognizable.

I want to rewatch it and spot more of the fun "world" stuff.
I want to see Miami with the block parties and stuff.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Just a puff piece pushing orc affirmative action and trying to put humans on par with elves. Everyone knows that elves are benevolent rulers that allow us all to prosper. Stories like this just erode faith in a well-functioning society
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgEng06
AG
My wife and I just watched this and enjoyed it.
MaroonStain
AG
I watched it tonight and it definitely receives two thumbs up. I liked the concept and world with the dragon flying in the night sky a big plus.

Definitely would watch more of this genre but we get a Roseanne reboot and more superhero shows...
watty
AG
Netflix said that 11 million people watched it in the first 3 days (IIRC).
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Saw it last night. Definitely entertaining and in no way one of the worst movies of the years. The social commentary was a little heavy handed and overall corny with the orc stuff, but wasn't too much of a bane. Other than that, I liked it.
jabberwalkie09
AG
watty said:

Netflix said that 11 million people watched it in the first 3 days (IIRC).
Wonder what the numbers are for multiple viewings. I've watched it twice now, and while I can pick out certain things that come from Training Day or 16 Blocks, it's still a fun watch.

Someone mentioned earlier about the wand and how it would be lost in between scenes or no one would have it on them, that was a reason why I watched it. I still don't know when Tikka gets the wand from Jakoby or Ward and puts it in her arm like we saw when they first encountered her.

I'd still like to see more, as I think the world's atmosphere is interesting even if we didn't see much of it.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Watched it last night. Thought it was decent. Definitely not as bad as the reviews make it out to be.
bigtruckguy3500
I watched it based on recommendations in this thread. I thought it was pretty good. I felt like I was missing some background, like I missed a Lord of the Rings movie or something. But I think having seen the LOTR movies also helped me get this movie.
VikingNik
AG
Elves are upper class because they live for ages. Think of the interest they can earn in banks and investments. Hardest thing for me is to believe that if orcs and elves and fairies and magic existed for basically all of time that the Earth as we know it would in any way materialize. That is a real leap. Honestly would be more interesting if they showed up in some sort of weird rift 55 years ago (nuclear bomb testing snafu?) And we basically had to allow them to settle among humans. Honestly, Orcs around for all of history and first one ever on a police force is in LA in 2017? Still overall entertaining.
swimmerbabe11
Yeah, I wanna understand fairies as a pest better. That's a pretty unique take on it.
Sex Panther
AG
Surprisingly really enjoyed it. Hope there's a sequel.

Dragon flying over the city was a nice touch
fig96
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

Watched this and valerian this week (I like bad movies, sue me) and this was much better in everything but eyebrows...and sunshine.
Watched Valerian last night...good lord that was awful. Like it took genuine effort to make it that bad.

I was expecting Bright to be very mediocre based on reviews, but I really enjoyed it (which seems to be the consensus). It's a bit scattered in places but the world was really interesting and I was intrigued by the overall story.

Also curious on the fairies

For those wanting more of a backstory regarding the universe portrayed in Bright, Netflix released a short video.
Philo B 93
I liked that I have to fill in the missing backstory and explanation for the "world" of Bright. We don't need movie makers to spoon feed our non-imaginations every detail. I'm glad Netflix gave us Bright instead of using the same budget on, say, Call Saul in College or the prequel to The Hobbit.
swimmerbabe11
Thanks for posting that!!

Loved the documentary style of it.

I hope they decide to keep building this world.
titanmaster_race
I'm glad a big name like Netflix is pumping out some decent original fantasy stuff.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I liked it.
GinaLinetti
AG
Watched it today. It was ok. I've seen worse for sure
JuliusCaesarAggie
Never change Shark
FriendlyAg
Just finished. Really liked it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Scotty Flamingo
I enjoyed it. Felt a little all over the place, but I wasn't expecting a masterpiece. Fun movie
Raptor
AG
Watched it last night. Stayed away from all reviews until I viewed it.

Very cliche movie, but few cop movies aren't cliche. I agree that this could have easily have been a triology or series. Shame too, because they definitely rushed the storyline and character building.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

jabberwalkie09
AG
They already ordered a sequel
Raptor
AG
Sweet!
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

Ags4DaWin
It was okay. Definitely had the feeling that it was meant to test the waters on a bigger sequel rather than a stand alone all out effort.

Although the social commentary was heavy handed and several parts were very cliche.... not bad ..... not great either.
K2-HMFIC
The movie was what I expected.

Fun.

Not everything has to be super dark and depressing.
israeliag
AG
Sequel greenlit

The proposed titles for the sequel are worth it alone to watch the above vid
OnlyForNow
AG
I think they could easily make a non-linear series out of the world set up in Bright. Would be cool to see the back story on Jirak and the Dark Lord.

I liked it, although I can agree with the statement made a few pages ago about losing track of the wand bag regularly. Biggest thing was it was thrown up on the hood of the cruiser and then is magically in the Orc's hand later on.
swimmerbabe11
Bad boys in Mordor

I love it. More world building plz
schmendeler
AG
I don't get why the orcs who are supposedly the most despised race on the planet (for 2000 years if I remember correctly) are basically on the same level as latinos and blacks in this world. and why they act like stereotypical human minorities. makes no sense to me.
israeliag
AG
Bright 2: Brighter
The Debt
It was the filmmaker's point to make a social statement. If only the idiot chose to make a good modern fantasy film instead of a sophmoric allegory...
schmendeler
AG
The Debt said:

It was the filmmaker's point to make a social statement. If only the idiot chose to make a good modern fantasy film instead of a sophmoric allegory...

It was dumb. And not well thought out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.