*** BLADE RUNNER 2049 *** (Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford)

23,880 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Max Power
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

R rating, almost no green screen...

http://www.screendaily.com/news/blade-runner-2049-will-be-r-rated-confirms-denis-villeneuve/5112413.article
It has been many years since I read about the original but I recall they used a lot of matte paintings for background shots, as well as miniatures but I don't think they used any blue screens with actors. Those painting and miniature effects still hold up very well today.
Jeff99
I agree totally. The monotone and jaded aspect of the narration added a lot to the film.
redline248
AG
Damn, I watched Bladerunner for the first about 2 years ago. I remember Ford narrating (as his character) during the movie...didn't know there were multiple versions. I don't remember anything indicating he was a replicant.
MaroonStain
AG
I've tried, tried and tried to watch the original but I fall asleep every dam time.
redline248
AG
Have you tried watching it at like 9am after your first cup of coffee?
Duncan Idaho
Somewhat related story.

I was in Hong Kong a few years ago. It was night, it was raining, I walk down this alley and there were neon lights and a sea of Asians running by with a few huddled over ramen at some dilapidated trailer.

I felt like I had walked into Blade Runner universe.

Yes I know blade runner was set in LA
Btron
AG
MaroonStain said:

I've tried, tried and tried to watch the original but I fall asleep every dam time.

Same here! I actually bought it twice from a DVD buyback store and each time I fall asleep, then sell it, then buy it again. I'll probably try one more time before the release of this one.
Ag Since 83
AG
I finally watched the "original" (the version with the narration) earlier this year and I just didn't get it. Someone mentioned it being both brilliant and boring....I just saw boring. Probably didn't help that I the replicant test with the machine just made me think of a Scientology audit.
Chipotlemonger
AG
One of the all time best sci fi movies. I am really looking forward to this.

Thanks for making a separate thread with the trailer release.
Jim01
AG
For all my film geekdom, Blade Runner is a glaring omission for me. I've never seen it. No reason, I've just never gotten around to watching it. I need to fire it up sometime soon.
BigHitterDaLama
Alien, IMO, is the greatest SciFi movie ever made and will never be dethroned.

Would argue Aliens at #2.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
BigHitterDaLama said:

In this thread I stated that I rank Blade Runner as the best "pure" science fiction movie ever made. What I mean by that is to distinguish between a movie that deals with known or possible topics such as genetic engineering and one that has an element of fantasy in it (a creature). Having said that, I would actually agree that Alien is a science fiction movie that on the whole is the best in that overall genre. Alien also proves its greatness in another area - other than The Thing, when have we seen any other monster flicks that were worth watching since 1979?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

BigHitterDaLama said:

In this thread I stated that I rank Blade Runner as the best "pure" science fiction movie ever made. What I mean by that is to distinguish between a movie that deals with known or possible topics such as genetic engineering and one that has an element of fantasy in it (a creature). Having said that, I would actually agree that Alien is a science fiction movie that on the whole is the best in that overall genre. Alien also proves its greatness in another area - other than The Thing, when have we seen any other monster flicks that were worth watching since 1979?

Tremors
Zemira
AG
So this could turn out to be one of the worst or best movies of the year, but it has Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling!

I can guarantee you there are a ton of females that will see it for that fact alone. I like Sci Fi, but the rest will hate it regardless because they don't get Sci Fi, so ratings will probably be meaningless.
wesag
AG
I'll take Blade Runner as better, but they're both great.

The sequel won't be as good, but at least it's sci-fi.
schmendeler
AG
Just rewatched Interstellar last night for the first time since seeing it in theaters. Man, that was a great sci fi movie.
BigHitterDaLama
I would stack The Matrix at #3 on my list. Blade Runner probably #4, with terminator #5.

Does inception qualify as sci-fi?
TCTTS
AG
Same. Saw half of it again over the holiday and it just gets better and better each time.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I would think so.
titan
S

Quote:

Wow, spoiler alert please. I still haven't seen the original.
Seriously, the good news, unless I am mistaken, is that is not something that the audience knows today. (Was director's intent affirmed 100%?)

There are elaborate debates -- well aware of the arguments on either side -- about how Deckard may be human, or may be replicant in the first movie.

So the only spoiler is you don't know what Deckard is.

If it was a formally declared the answer, its news to me. Its true the body of opinion clusters in a certain direction, and scenes in the movie evoke certain implications.

It won't affect your viewing of the movie too much after all this time --- many elements that were avant garde in June 1982 will seem a bit `done already' to you depending on which movies you have seen. So you will probably notice the lush quality all the more in its theatrical sense of construction, mood, and track.

Addendum: Cinco Ranch Aggie's blue shifted post on page 1 is where I also understood the debate to stand. No "final call" has been declared.
Ag Since 83
AG
Even the people who made the film argue about it. Scott is on one side and Ford and the screenwriter on the other...so who knows if the new movie will take a stand.
Change Detection
AG
I have the soundtrack on cd from many yrs ago...pretty good. Vangelis was doing great work back then.

One of my favorites of all time. I heard HF hated that movie.

Another thing I heard about that movie is the floating billboards lady was saying ET phone home...happens in a couple of places. Anybody know if true?
VanZandt92
Ford got lucky on both Star wars and Bladerunner.

I also still listen to the soundtrack.
TCTTS
AG
A couple of interesting story tidbits. Very light spoilers, but nothing too substantial...

http://www.slashfilm.com/blade-runner-2049-rumors/
titan
S

The one thing that seems off in the trailer is the Bladerunner world showed no sign of being still mired in anything like might produce a nuclear ruin. It looks like things are blasted and wrecked. It would also harm the much preferred assumption that Bladerunner Earth is the Earth in the past of `Alien-Aliens' and `Prometheus'.

Of course that scene could mean anything and be anywhere.
TCTTS
AG
The Debt
Alien is not a scifi film, its a horror film in space.

Scifi, by its nature, is meant to teach us something about our actual society or the human condition. Alien is pure exhibitionism of rape; one could say Ripley personifies mankind's fear of penetration, but thats a mere byproduct of the plot not the inherent moral to glean from the story. Aliens is actual scifi, its a commentary on the military-industrial "complex" and mankinds weakness: individualism. It drives Reiser to betray everyone, it takes a medley of badasses and they get wiped clean by a mindless black wall of aliens (in both a figurative and literal sense).
TCTTS
jabberwalkie09
AG
Pretty sure that that The Debt is referring to a post earlier in the thread.

To be honest, I don't think The Debt is too far off the mark in regards to how he described sci-fi when it comes to some of the more sophisticated sci-fi stuff out there. Granted the genre ecompasses everything from Dune to Star Trek, but you have to admit that there's usually some kind of commentary on the human condition or society. Star Trek in particular The Original Series and The Next Generation exemplified this IMO. I don't think Alien really fits in the category of sci-fi in that regard either, which is why space horror probably fits it better honestly.

Just like you could call Blade Runner sci-fi but I think it's be more apt to classify it as neo-noir, you could also say that Alien is sci-fi because of the setting but it's probably better to define it as space horror.
TCTTS
AG
HtownAg92
AG
Anyone remember this Sci-Fi crime drama from the same era? One of my favorites after Blade Runner.

TCTTS
AG
sleepybeagle
AG
Quote:

Edit: I looked it up and unfortunately Vangelis isn't scoring this one. He's still alive and making music so it would have been great to have him on this one too.
I agree - his music has a dark repetitive non-human, but yet very emotional fell about it - largely due to his use of sequencer that in the 80's was cutting edge, second only to tangerine dream perhaps - but I think it would still work today.

Blade runner would not be the same without that music score.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The Debt said:

Alien is not a scifi film, its a horror film in space.

Scifi, by its nature, is meant to teach us something about our actual society or the human condition. Alien is pure exhibitionism of rape; one could say Ripley personifies mankind's fear of penetration, but thats a mere byproduct of the plot not the inherent moral to glean from the story. Aliens is actual scifi, its a commentary on the military-industrial "complex" and mankinds weakness: individualism. It drives Reiser to betray everyone, it takes a medley of badasses and they get wiped clean by a mindless black wall of aliens (in both a figurative and literal sense).
All of that description is accurate but I disagree that it is a horror film in space. Yes it has elements of horror but look at the environment they set up. The Nostromo is a space tugboat with a crew of mostly blue collar people. The ship has a very used look but with futuristic design elements, it looks like something that could exist in 100-200 years. Look at Ash, who looked like a man but was pure android. The idea of a 'radio' signal emanating from an unknown planet seems sci-fi to me. I look at sci-fi as merely a future version of what we have now,and that is the environment that Ridley Scott built. Same with Peter Hyams in Outland (as referenced in a post above).

When you bring in the critter, that is still a sci-fi concept to me given that I believe there is life out there somewhere - the universe is far too big for us to be all there is. When Scott has the critter rip its way out of John Hurt's chest, then the movie does feature a good bit of horror and a whole lot of terror. You could say it becomes a haunted house kind of movie, but the sci-fi elements remain throughout.

I suppose I have somewhat derailed this thread about the Blade Runner sequel. Sorry, that was not my intent.
SeattleAgJr
I do not like the look of either of those two characters.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.