*** BLADE RUNNER 2049 *** (Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford)

23,590 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Max Power
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The "announcement" trailer hit yesterday, and I've been on the road / busy with holiday stuff, so I'm just now getting around to posting it (though it did already appeal in the Blockbusters of 2017 thread). Along with the trailer, we also got our first official plot synopsis...

Quote:

Thirty years after the events of the first film, a new blade runner, LAPD Officer K (Ryan Gosling), unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what's left of society into chaos. K's discovery leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a former LAPD blade runner who has been missing for 30 years.

Sounds very Force Awakens-esque, with Ford basically in the Luke role this go around (just with seemingly more screen time). Blade Runner hit theaters in 1982 and was set in 2019, so almost as much time has passed in the world of the movies as has in real life.

With Denis Villeneuve at the helm (Prisoners, Sicario, Arrival), Ridley Scott producing, and Hampton Fancher back to write the screenplay (he wrote the original), this is easily one of my most anticipated of 2017. I also can't think of a better combo in Villeneuve and cinematographer Roger Deakins to honor the look and spirit of Scott's original, and the teaser definitely seems to hint that they are more than up to the task.

Blade Runner 2049 hits theaters in 2D, 3D and IMAX on October 6, 2017...

wangus12
AG
Looks awful /Redstone
Duncan Idaho
After the job he did on Prometheus, I have absolutely no worries that this could possibly be a mess. Not a one.
TCTTS
AG
Scott has almost nothing to do with this, creatively.
White Liberals=The Worst
Is the original good? Still never seen it
jr15aggie
AG
Best thing about the trailer was the synthesizer jazz at the end. Very 80's, very much like the original, and very cool.

Very similar sounding to Netflix's Stranger Things... the music worked extremely well there too for obvious reasons!

I'm in!
Dro07
AG
How did he age if he is a robot?
Sex Panther
AG
wangus12 said:

Looks awful /Redstone

Some of you guys really don't understand Redstone's shtick
Rocagnante
AG
dromo07 said:

Good question.
White Liberals=The Worst
dromo07 said:

Wow, spoiler alert please. I still haven't seen the original.
TCTTS
AG
Can't tell if you're joking or not, but 35-year-old "spoilers" are fair game in this thread.
White Liberals=The Worst
TCTTS said:

Can't tell if you're joking or not, but 35-year-old "spoilers" are fair game in this thread.
I was joking, but I seriously need to see the first one. Have heard nothing but good things, although not sure how a first viewing in 2016 will hold up?
Sex Panther
AG
It's still good. But there's like 3 different versions and I'm not sure which one most people think is the best.
Duncan Idaho
He wasn't a robot....He was a replicant. Big difference
TCTTS
AG
To this day, I still think it's one of the best-shot movies of all time. It's a look that countless of movies have tried to ape ever since. And because it's not action-heavy, it's aged pretty well. There's just a timeless quality to it, despite the futuristic setting.
Dro07
AG
Wycliffe_03 said:

dromo07 said:

he isn't a robot... sorry i was making a Westward joke. Dude is a "clone"
Dro07
AG
What was the original ending? Of him dreaming? Or was this the movie that had different endings in different theaters?
Duncan Idaho
dromo07 said:

Wycliffe_03 said:

dromo07 said:

Are just in full on trollmode now? Decker was a replicant, which is not a clone
AgGrad99
AG
Dro07
AG
Sorry not trolling its been a minute since i have seen it for some reason i thought it was a clone and not an android.
Bruce Almighty
AG
One of the most beautifully shot movies of all time, but it's not an easy movie to watch. If there's ever a movie that's both brilliant and boring, it's Blade Runner.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

dromo07 said:

Wycliffe_03 said:

dromo07 said:

There is an implication that he was a replicant based on the unicorn dream that was included in one of the many re-issues of the movie. The original theatrical release did not include the unicorn dream. The movie's writer and Harrison Ford contend even to this day that Deckard was human. Ridley Scott seems to prefer the notion that he is a replicant. Regardless, the filmmakers seem to prefer that Deckard's humanity be ambiguous and up for debate.

Personally I think he is a human. To me the conflict in the story revolves around the effect on Deckard's humanity of doing his job, which is to kill these genetically-manufactured beings. Ultimately what is the difference between Deckard, a human, and Roy Batty, a replicant?

I rank Blade Runner as the best pure science fiction movie ever made.
bangobango
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Duncan Idaho said:

dromo07 said:

Wycliffe_03 said:

dromo07 said:

There is an implication that he was a replicant based on the unicorn dream that was included in one of the many re-issues of the movie. The original theatrical release did not include the unicorn dream. The movie's writer and Harrison Ford contend even to this day that Deckard was human. Ridley Scott seems to prefer the notion that he is a replicant. Regardless, the filmmakers seem to prefer that Deckard's humanity be ambiguous and up for debate.

Personally I think he is a human. To me the conflict in the story revolves around the effect on Deckard's humanity of doing his job, which is to kill these genetically-manufactured beings. Ultimately what is the difference between Deckard, a human, and Roy Batty, a replicant?

I rank Blade Runner as the best pure science fiction movie ever made.
I was about to say, I didn't remember it being so open and shut that Deckard was a replicant. In fact, I remembered him as being human. But as others have said, it's been a minute since I last saw it.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

If there's ever a movie that's both brilliant and boring, it's Blade Runner.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
SheriffBarclay said:

Ahead of 2001??
2001 is a great sci-fi movie but does not hold the same umph for me that Blade Runner does. Plus Blade Runner deals with far more tangible ideas such as genetic engineering while 2001 deals with some unknown power determining things like where life can originate.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
The author who inspired blade runner (and Total Recall, and man in the high castle, and the adjustment bureau, and A Scanner Darkly, and Paycheck, and Minority Report, and other films) loved to tell stories that challenged perceptions of reality. I wonder if they'll borrow from that legacy in this sequel... could be one hell of a fun ride if they do.
TCTTS
AG
New EW cover plus new pics...

http://ew.com/movies/blade-runner-2049-photos/an-exclusive-look-at-blade-runner-2049/

TCTTS
AG
Sex Panther
AG
Harrison Ford gives no ****s
schmendeler
AG
might we be in a mini-golden age for good sci-fi?

interstellar
edge of tomorrow
the martian
arrival
blade runner 2049

edit: also maybe "ready player one" and whatever they might be doing with "dune"?
TCTTS
AG
R rating, almost no green screen...

http://www.screendaily.com/news/blade-runner-2049-will-be-r-rated-confirms-denis-villeneuve/5112413.article
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

One of the most beautifully shot movies of all time, but it's not an easy movie to watch. If there's ever a movie that's both brilliant and boring, it's Blade Runner.
BCSWguru
I want more life, ******
Say Chowdah
AG
I really hope they keep the narration.

In the multiple versions of the original, the narrated version was the best. I read that Ford said he thought they weren't really serious about including it as it was added after the film was completed so he put forth a half assed effort, making it sound very monotone. Fortunately, the monotone and lifeless narration is exactly what worked so well.

And if you haven't seen it, you are lucky to be able to enjoy it for the first, second and third time (yeah, it might take 3 viewings to really appreciate it).

Edit: I looked it up and unfortunately Vangelis isn't scoring this one. He's still alive and making music so it would have been great to have him on this one too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.