Stranger Things - new Netflix series

101,959 Views | 569 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 45-70Ag
Canyon99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Pissed that they killed Barb. She was sexy.

She was going to be that late bloomer that we ignored all through high school, and then became the centerpiece of the 1987 Girls of the Big Ten issue.

...if you like an ass that is ten feet wide.
KidDoc
AG
Really enjoyed this series but it is directed at me. Born in 72, played D&D as a dorky kid, loved the old 80's flicks. Overall really enjoyed the ride. Some of the demon CG was pretty terrible but it is a first run show so I get that. Overall very entertaining series looking forward to season #2.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Wrapped it up last night. With all the great press this is getting we'll see a season 2 and expect more out of it because the budget will be bigger.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
ET + Fire in the Sky + XFiles = awesome!
+ Super 8

Just watched episode 1.

Love it so far. Great nostalgia of both the period and the Speilbergian influence.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Quick show off hands. Who here has made a mixed tape?

ummmm....not you because it's called a "mix" tape not a "mixed" tape. or sometimes "mixtape".

only 90's and millennials called them mixed tapes when they butchered the term.

AlaskanAg99
AG
Only a legit mix tape if recorded from the radio without the DJ talking over the song intro.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Only a legit mix tape if recorded from the radio without the DJ talking over the song intro.

anyone remember the days when AOR stations would sometimes play complete albums uninterrupted - that was the ultimate for us OTA recorders. Usually it was late at night.

I got my first copy of PF's Dark Side of the Moon that way.

I also had a double deck tape recorder - would record hours sometimes just to mine out a few songs with no talkover.

Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:
Quick show off hands. Who here has made a mixed tape?

ummmm....not you because it's called a "mix" tape not a "mixed" tape. or sometimes "mixtape".

only 90's and millennials called them mixed tapes when they butchered the term.

We didn't call them "mixed tapes" we called them burned CDs
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Duh. I meant when incorrectly referenceing what 80s kids called them.
IJones23
I've been listening to Survive all night. I never got into techno, but I like synth beats. I feel like I've been in that club in Tron:Legacy all night.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Ok the more I watch this the more references to Stephen King I am seeing. I'm only 3 episodes in but it's unmistakable. I get all the other references too...but more and more King comes to me the more I watch.

I am not sure how many people actually read Stephen King (as opposed to seeing the movies only) but there is just a ton of Stephen King stuff subtly in here. Not direct quotes or anything but influences and character types, etc. And some is apparent from movies but even more from books I think.

Of course the Firestarter references have been made with the telekinetic mind stuff and the girl but it goes way beyond that. And references to the Body (Stand By Me) and the quest of the boys.

Subtle examples:

The Chief - his character popped up in so many King novels and short stories, very much the same guy. He is actually a good guy and trying. He has his own flaws and dark past. A bit gruff on the outside.

Small town itself - King always set his stories in these small towns, this is a perfect prototypical example

Rock music - not just used in a soundtrack way but a specific use with the Clash and "Should I stay or Should I Go" being a central connection between brothers and friends. Kind used music a lot in books and movies and it was usually hard rock and/or punk

Kids - kids being aware and adults completely clueless - this was also common in Speilbergs world, but King used it often in It and Stand By Me among others

Clowns - the reference to a fear of clowns with Will to me was a direct reference to It

The title shot - Stranger Things looks like so many Stephen King novels in the font and the bright red eeriness.

The big secret government operation - also a Spielberg thing of course but King used this a lot as well from Firestarter to The Stand to the Langoliers and The Mist among others (often called The Shop in Kings universe).

The old car the brother drives - King was notorious for his focus on cars like in christine of course and From a Buick 8 and most recently Mr. Mercedes but in non car related stories as well. He always had one car that was a classic bad car that someone loved. Other cars are notable for their resemblance to police cars from the 70's/80's horror flicks especially Halloween and Jaws in my mind.

Anyway just genius stuff.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Awesome show.
Spaceball 1
AG
Zombie, I picked up on a King vibe too. Felt like a story that would tie into the Dark Tower.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Great show but now I want the 90s Pulp Fiction / Jurassic Park / Face Off mashup.
Malachi Constant
AG
five episodes in, still great! can't wait to finish...
5 Keys to Victory: 1. Out Hit 2. Out Hustle 3. Out Execute 4. Win the Kicking Game 5. Play with Emotion
hunter2012
AG
the real bad guy

Also I have a theory for the end...

So I think the "upside-down" is just a parallel world that got infected by something that results in the monster. that would explain the similar presence of the houses, town, and Will's fort. They also show the skeleton of someone that looked long dead before will was taken.

As for the end, They seem to imply that it reproduces like "alien" but less explodes from chest and more coughs ups slug baby monsters. I bet next season deals with an infestation in the primary world. Although it seems like El is doing ok if Hopper can do standard food drops for her. It might be interesting to have her as a wild card in future plots, for instance she might seek revenge after being hunted and then isolated in the "upside-down".
hph6203
AG
Let's hope they do actually make a Stranger Things game:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/08/03/stranger-things-creators-want-to-make-a-video-game-to-connect-to-season-2
Sex Panther
AG
An 8 bit game would be cool for obvious reasons, but it would be an awesome Tell Tale Game as well
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Finished it, love the show one of my favorites this year
Malachi Constant
AG
You're on point with the Stephen King references. The first time I saw the opening credits this is the first thing that came to mind:

mazag08
AG
Just binged the whole season.

One of the best shows I've watched in a long time.
srx
AG
Just finished. Loved it.

After Hopper first finds the gateway they tranq him and then he wakes up on his couch. That was bugging me until the last episode. Maybe I missed something but I feel like they definitely let him go for a specific reason and that's connected to the guys who picked him up outside the hospital. There's obviously a lot about Hopper we don't know.
RAB91
Great show! Haven't binged watched like that since watching 3 seasons of 24 back-to-back-to-back. As someone who grew up in that time time, it was really fun to watch. It is funny what 80's items catch your attention. For me I chuckled when I saw the green tupperware that Hop was putting food into at the end. We had a bunch of those.

I'm in the camp of those who like Winona Ryder in that role. But then again, I've had a thing for her since Edward Scissorhands.

Only two very small complaints. Even by TV standards, the dad was an idiot. Second, I thought I was going to have a seizure during the last episode when they had the strobe light effect going on for way too long.
I Like Turtles
AG
The dad was hilarious
aggiesq
AG
he was a lot like the dad in War Games
LHIOB
AG
And Ferris Bueller
BMX Bandit
quote:
quote:
Great nostalgia. It was like a flashback to my 11 year old self in 1983. The furniture, glassware, coke cans, bikes, walkie talkies; straight out of my youth. They even had a kid that knew how to work a lever action rifle.

My only questions:
What did the monster eat while in his own dimension? Did it just occasionally enter ours at random times to feed? I presume there are other monsters out there. I would have liked to have known more, but it really wasn't that important I guess. Just as knowing about ET or the Gremlins was not the point of the story.

They nailed 1983 so well, but the one thing they skimped on were the bikes. That bothered me because with just a little more research, they could've scored some true to the era bikes. Hell, go into a TGI Fridays and borrow one of there Mongoose bikes of the wall.

In 1983, BMX was everything to me and my friends. I loved the line when the sheriff said that Will wouldn't have just left his bike there in the woods because those bike were like Cadillacs to those kids. True!

Anyway, I wish they could've been like they did in ET and get the kids a fleet of Kuwahara's to ride. Or throw in some Schwinn Scramblers, Mongooses, GT's, Diamond Backs. These were the bikes the kids rode back in those days.

Instead, these kids are riding modern BMX's bike that they look like they went down to walmart, bought a couple of bikes and tried to half assed make them look oldschool.

Probably doesn't mean anything to anyone else, I still have my bikes from my child hood and restored them to hang on the wall of my office.

Below are my three bikes from when I was a kid that I've restored. The 1st is a 1984 GT Pro. The 2nd is a 1983 Mongoose and the 3rd is a 1980 Schwinn Mini Scrambler from when I was a wee little kid. I just wish they had bikes closer to this because that's what kids were riding. All the bikes in the ET movie were excellent bikes for the day.

[img][URL=.html][/URL][/img][url=.html][/url][url=.html][/url]

This
TCTTS
AG
How about a little something you won't find anywhere else on the net? The original pilot script, set in and titled Montauk, along with the lookbook used to help pitch the project...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/cvt73883pebhhow/MONTAUK.pdf

http://www.mediafire.com/download/u1giqa6e6kguj9s/Montauk+Lookbook.pdf
TCTTS
AG
Btw, second to last page of the lookbook. "Franchise Potential." If they follow through on that idea for season two, I'm all in. Only way I can think to make it fresh.
unmade bed
quote:
You have Elle and Barb dead, Will is infected with the shadow-plane and coughing up slugs (this part was the worst), even Nancy and Steve got back together. I just would have preferred a more optimistic result I guess.

Whats up with the Steve hate? That dude is a boss he did work on that monster's ass with the spiked baseball bat. He managed to injure it when bulleta couldnt
LHIOB
AG
That bat > Lucile on WD
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Pretty cool......a bunch of covers of the theme music in different styles....

http://www.hitfix.com/the-dartboard/here-are-all-the-best-covers-of-the-stranger-things-theme-music-in-one-place
Scotty Flamingo
The scariest part of this whole show was the kid with no teeth
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
quote:
You're on point with the Stephen King references. The first time I saw the opening credits this is the first thing that came to mind:

More like...
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Oh and does anyone remember this campy horror? Cause I think there's definitely references to this. Indirectly I suppose.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.