Stranger Things - new Netflix series

101,965 Views | 569 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 45-70Ag
Theblondewonder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thought it was great!
End Of Message
AG
Hooked
cr06gis
AG
Watched all 8 eps tonight.

That was fun! Great show. The pace was fantastic, I never got bored with it.

Whoever plays 11 is incredibely talented. She is a future star.
Professor Frick
AG
We loved it. As others have said, the actress who played Eleven was really remarkable. Winona Ryder was just bad casting.

I get that they wanted a 'name' that maybe was somewhat related to 80s movies, but she really just didn't have the chops for this one.

But I couldn't come up with a good replacement. Who do you think would have made a decent Joyce?
captkirk
AG

quote:
Who do you think would have made a decent Joyce?

Ally Sheedy does a good crazy. Marisa Tomei would also be good
Professor Frick
AG
Oh good call. Either one would have been great. Ally Sheedy was awesome on Psych.
Post removed:
by user
TheMasterplan
Just finished the show.

Spoiler warning below

Did they ever explain why a monster exists in the upside down world?

Also, why is there a russian dude in the upside down world? Is she supposed to be listening to the russian dude who is in the real world but listening through the upside down world?

Did Hopper get picked up by the state government afterwards to explain them what he saw?
SeattleAgJr
quote:
Did they ever explain why a monster exists in the upside down world?

Also, why is there a russian dude in the upside down world? Is she supposed to be listening to the russian dude who is in the real world but listening through the upside down world?

Did Hopper get picked up by the state government afterwards to explain them what he saw?
1. It just did. That is one of the creatures of the upside down.

2. Cold War espionage. El was being used to "listen in" on conversations across the world - to spy for the US government. In that scene, she was spying on the Russians.
The Russian translation was something like "How did they get this information? Do we have a spy? Comrade -unknown- was the last to talk to the Americans. Get him in here. Let's see what he has to say. We need to make sure no more information leaks to the Americans."

To clarify:
When El is in the completely black place, that is her using her "telepathy" to do remote viewing. It is only AFTER she touches the creature that the dimensional rift opens and access to the Upside Down is made possible to anyone and vice versa.

Note, she never actually goes into the Upside Down until the end of the show (assuming that is what happened to her).

3. Not sure, but likely.
Apache
AG
Great nostalgia. It was like a flashback to my 11 year old self in 1983. The furniture, glassware, coke cans, bikes, walkie talkies; straight out of my youth. They even had a kid that knew how to work a lever action rifle.

My only questions:
What did the monster eat while in his own dimension? Did it just occasionally enter ours at random times to feed? I presume there are other monsters out there. I would have liked to have known more, but it really wasn't that important I guess. Just as knowing about ET or the Gremlins was not the point of the story.

Theblondewonder
AG
Anyone else think Hopper is eerily similar looking to Jack Nicholson in The Shining??
SeattleAgJr
quote:
Anyone else think Hopper is eerily similar looking to Jack Nicholson in The Shining??

Several of his lines sounded like Harrison Ford, when he talked with a lower pitch.
TheEyeGuy
AG
quote:
Any my wife steals my thunder on asking this.... was wanting to make sure I didn't read any spoilers but it is kind of creepy how much he looks like JN at certain angles... I keep expected to hear "Here's Johnny!" at some point...
beanbean
quote:
Great nostalgia. It was like a flashback to my 11 year old self in 1983. The furniture, glassware, coke cans, bikes, walkie talkies; straight out of my youth. They even had a kid that knew how to work a lever action rifle.

My only questions:
What did the monster eat while in his own dimension? Did it just occasionally enter ours at random times to feed? I presume there are other monsters out there. I would have liked to have known more, but it really wasn't that important I guess. Just as knowing about ET or the Gremlins was not the point of the story.

They nailed 1983 so well, but the one thing they skimped on were the bikes. That bothered me because with just a little more research, they could've scored some true to the era bikes. Hell, go into a TGI Fridays and borrow one of there Mongoose bikes of the wall.

In 1983, BMX was everything to me and my friends. I loved the line when the sheriff said that Will wouldn't have just left his bike there in the woods because those bike were like Cadillacs to those kids. True!

Anyway, I wish they could've been like they did in ET and get the kids a fleet of Kuwahara's to ride. Or throw in some Schwinn Scramblers, Mongooses, GT's, Diamond Backs. These were the bikes the kids rode back in those days.

Instead, these kids are riding modern BMX's bike that they look like they went down to walmart, bought a couple of bikes and tried to half assed make them look oldschool.

Probably doesn't mean anything to anyone else, I still have my bikes from my child hood and restored them to hang on the wall of my office.

Below are my three bikes from when I was a kid that I've restored. The 1st is a 1984 GT Pro. The 2nd is a 1983 Mongoose and the 3rd is a 1980 Schwinn Mini Scrambler from when I was a wee little kid. I just wish they had bikes closer to this because that's what kids were riding. All the bikes in the ET movie were excellent bikes for the day.

[img][URL=.html][/URL][/img][url=.html][/url][url=.html][/url]
Trident 88
AG
I didn't love it nearly as much as some of you, but it was enjoyable.

This movie is set during my high school years, and I was actually pretty disappointed with the music selection. How about a little Rush 2112, Van Halen, etc.?? The Clash song was the only homerun as far as I'm concerned.

Add me to the Winona Ryder hater club. She's just awful. Awful!
TheMasterplan
Thanks brah
deadhead aggie
AG
Nancy could have spent some more time at the batting cages. The grip, the stance, the follow-through......just poor fundamentals.
MooseAg13
AG
Pissed that they killed Barb. She was sexy.
LeonardSkinner
quote:

She was going to be that late bloomer that we ignored all through high school, and then became the centerpiece of the 1987 Girls of the Big Ten issue.
bigtruckguy3500
Binged it this weekend instead of getting work done. Oh well, it was good. Definitely felt like I was watching an 80's movie that would show on network TV during Saturday afternoons in the early 90's. Good stuff.

The ending did have me curious, both as to how several characters got there, and the potential for where they could take it if they wanted to extend the story line. But I suspect the next season will be a completely different story.
Jim01
AG
I can only assume that you share my love of the movie Rad? With special mention love to BMX Bandits?
beanbean
quote:
I can only assume that you share my love of the movie Rad? With special mention love to BMX Bandits?
Well yeah, Cru Jones, Becky from full house, Hell Track. I wore Rad out on VHS. And BMX Bandits with a young frizzy permed Nicole Kidman. Of course I've seen that many times too. If you've never heard of it, check out the website BMXmuseum.com. 1000's of bikes posted on there from the beginnings of BMX all the way up to modern bikes. All three of my bikes are posted on that site.

Also, there is a documentary called "Joe Kid on a Stingray" about the history of BMX. It's pretty good if you can find it. I think I ordered a DVD of it off Amazon.
Swarely
quote:
quote:

She was going to be that late bloomer that we ignored all through high school, and then became the centerpiece of the 1987 Girls of the Big Ten issue.

Btron
AG

SPOILERS in quote

quote:
But Stranger Things reminds us that high school is terrible, that if you're not the one who sleeps with Steve Harrington at the parent-free, school-night pool party, you're the one sitting alone outside by the pool, waiting to get sucked into an alien vortex. (It breaks my heart, but them's the rules.) So we'd like to pour this poorly shotgunned beer out for Barb, queen of sidekicks, champion of best friends, patron saint of high school nerds. Your spirit shines as bright as the weird lights that ****ed up Winona Ryder's phone. We'll miss you.
https://theringer.com/everyone-needs-a-friend-like-barb-a91b9937ba64#.xcaemy6dc
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I honestly don't get the hate for Winona. I thought she played the part well.

Also, call me crazy but I thought the mother/son casting was a home run. Will look like a young Winona to anyone else?

LeonardSkinner
"Rub one out for Barb..."
FIFMe
RDV-1992
Binge watched it over the weekend with my wife. We really enjoyed it. Two enthusiastic thumbs up from us.

I thought that the acting, hair styles/clothes, parenting, etc. was true to the times back then.

On the bikes - I remember having a BMX bike in the mid 80s (maybe 1983 or 1984 - they were definitely a big deal back then). But late 70's/very early 80's I had a bike with a banana seat like the ones in the show. Went everywhere on that thing - sometimes with my little brother (5 years younger) in tow. Mom just had cutoff times on when we had to be home. Nowadays letting your 10 year old supervise your 5 year old all day out in the woods, or at a friends house, or whatever would probably get you put in jail. Back then it was just summer.
aggieforester05
AG
I watched ET with my two year old daughter this weekend and she actually paid attention to it and enjoyed it. I haven't seen it in 20+ years and was pleasantly surprised how well it has stood up to the test of time. Truly a great movie by Spielberg. Great follow up to watching Stranger Things.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:

Don't get it either... Thought she played the part to perfection.
Btron
AG
quote:
quote:

Don't get it either... Thought she played the part to perfection.
I just thought she was too manic, too twitchy, and annoying. I've never been a hater of hers, but definitely not a fan. I was just not impressed with her acting, and was wanting her off the screen as soon as possible.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Isn't that more an issue with the character? Some mothers act like that.

Skyler was a hated character, but that doesn't mean the actress was bad. She got a well-deserved Emmy near the end of the series.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
One of my favorite movies of all time.
Professor Frick
AG
My 6yo son watched ET a few months ago when it came to Netflix, and it holds up SO well. He loved it, and we've watched it probably half a dozen times in the last few weeks.

I always like Winona, it just felt like in this, with all of the good acting (especially from the kids) she was the only that seemed to be acting. It almost just seemed like she didn't inherently possess the emotional range to accurately portray what Joyce was being put through.
Carlo4
AG
SPOILERS FOR REFERENCES

Walking down tracks - Stand by Me
Kids hunting monster- IT
Blonde wig, bikes, hiding alien - ET
State trooper in morgue reading Cujo
Dog was same breed as Einstein in BTTF
Hawkins police - Jaws reference
Girl and military project - Firestarter
Cheistmas light communication - Close Encounters

Double cross - Empire (LANDO)

I'm sure there are many others....
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
SPOILERS FOR REFERENCES

Walking down tracks - Stand by Me
Kids hunting monster- IT
Blonde wig, bikes, hiding alien - ET
State trooper in morgue reading Cujo
Dog was same breed as Einstein in BTTF
Hawkins police - Jaws reference
Girl and military project - Firestarter
Cheistmas light communication - Close Encounters

Double cross - Empire (LANDO)

I'm sure there are many others....

Good list

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.