*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,512,462 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd say Thor 1 & Spider Man was a pretty big tone shift too.
MBAR
AG
86% rt score is pretty good
bangobango
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I have a theory y'all can help me put through the wringer:

The best (or maybe "most loved") Marvel movies are those that introduce a tonal shift. They subvert expectations in some way and stand out because they are fresh, but within the MCU context.

- Iron Man was the OG, set a new bar
- Avengers broke out of fairly standard origin stories into the pithy team-up
- Winter Soldier, the 70s spy thriller
- Guardians, the zany and irreverent one
Ragnarok, the biggest "combo breaker" of them all
- Black Panther, I realize not a favorite of many here but definitely one of the most believed Marvel films
-IW, obviously

Does this hold up?

What does "most believed Marvel films" mean?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Beloved - typo
bangobango
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Beloved - typo

Ah gotcha. Couldn't figure it out.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
AliasMan02
AG
C@LAg said:

it is definitely not the most "beloved".

It is by many, many, many people.
John Matrix
AG
bangobango said:

AliasMan02 said:

I have a theory y'all can help me put through the wringer:

The best (or maybe "most loved") Marvel movies are those that introduce a tonal shift. They subvert expectations in some way and stand out because they are fresh, but within the MCU context.

- Iron Man was the OG, set a new bar
- Avengers broke out of fairly standard origin stories into the pithy team-up
- Winter Soldier, the 70s spy thriller
- Guardians, the zany and irreverent one
Ragnarok, the biggest "combo breaker" of them all
- Black Panther, I realize not a favorite of many here but definitely one of the most believed Marvel films
-IW, obviously

Does this hold up?

What does "most believed Marvel films" mean?

This definitely holds up. It's the reason people love Empire Strikes Back, Wrath of Kahn, The Dark Knight, etc. - people love to watch heroes fail, so that they can rise again. When Marvel gets into that comfortable Dr.Strange, Thor, Captain Marvel probably, it's just not as compelling. Don't get me wrong, I really like all of those films, but those are the ones that adhere more directly to the Marvel house style to stand out.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My guess is mostly non-comic (or cbm) fans.
AliasMan02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

They count, though.
fig96
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I'd say Thor 1 & Spider Man was a pretty big tone shift too.
I wouldn't say Thor, introduced a bit of humor but stuck pretty close to the Marvel formula to that point. Homecoming definitely brought a bit of teen rom com to the MCU.

I don't know about the theory itself, but Winter Soldier, Guardians, Black Panther, and Ragnarok are all solidly in my top 5.
redline248
AG
The ranking differences for Black Panther (#1 on RT and Metacritic, 13/14 by IMDB/Fans) is the most bizarre and fascinating thing. Every day viewers don't think of that movie nearly as highly as industry types.

Looks like Infinity War is getting a similar treatment in the opposite, although not nearly as drastic. Infinity War is a much better movie than Black Panther.
Farmer1906
AG
Opinions vary.

I am about to finish up my full rewatching of the MCU with my wife. We rated each movie as we've watched them. Her highest score is for Black Panther yet it doesn't crack my top 10.
fig96
AG
redline248 said:

The ranking differences for Black Panther (#1 on RT and Metacritic, 13/14 by IMDB/Fans) is the most bizarre and fascinating thing. Every day viewers don't think of that movie nearly as highly as industry types.
I have zero faith in any sort of public rating of a film like Black Panther at this point.

Lots of people loved it when it came out (and still do) and then there's strings of 1 star ratings on sites like IMDB. Even if you didn't love it or even like it, it's far from a 1 star movie and those are obviously people trying to torpedo the rating.
redline248
AG
True, outliers definitely exist. The RT fan score, though, is still nearly an 80. Which means people like it, but just not so much to call it the best in the MCU. I honestly think we are about to see a similar phenomenon with Captain Marvel.

It'll be good, and I'll enjoy it. Will it be lauded as the best ever, even if it's just mediocre? We'll see.
jackie childs
we need a Texags Entertainment Board rating system
jtstanley4621
AG
As I've said before, I really think (due to the battle in Wakanda in Infinity War) that Black Panther could have been so much better. All they'd need to do was split it into two movies.

Essentially take the battle for the throne between Black Panther and Killmonger, and make that the end of the first movie. Add in stuff about Killmonger going to Wakanda and garnering support secretly from tribes who see agree with his philosophy. Then they fight and Killmonger throws Black Panther off a freaking cliff, and assumes the mantle. Movie ends.

Second movie: Essentially the last act of the movie. Killmonger is gathering weapons to use against the world. Black Panther is now underground with limited support and has to crawl his way back with the support of his sister and mother. He eventually gains back the powers and the final battle of the first movie is the final battle of the second.
jackie childs
jtstanley4621 said:

As I've said before, I really think (due to the battle in Wakanda in Infinity War) that Black Panther could have been so much better. All they'd need to do was split it into two movies.

Essentially take the battle for the throne between Black Panther and Killmonger, and make that the end of the first movie. Add in stuff about Killmonger going to Wakanda and garnering support secretly from tribes who see agree with his philosophy. Then they fight and Killmonger throws Black Panther off a freaking cliff, and assumes the mantle. Movie ends.

Second movie: Essentially the last act of the movie. Killmonger is gathering weapons to use against the world. Black Panther is now underground with limited support and has to crawl his way back with the support of his sister and mother. He eventually gains back the powers and the final battle of the first movie is the final battle of the second.
as a standalone Black Panther story, that sounds cool and i'd be on board.

but in the larger MCU context, i'm not sure it works unless you write black panther (and wakanda) out of infinity war entirely
jtstanley4621
AG
Right yeah. That's why I said it's basically Infinity War's fault. The battle there was epic, but with him being in the movie they were pretty much gonna have to make Black Panther tie up neatly before Infinity War.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

They count, though.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
PDWT_12
AG
jackie childs said:

we need a Texags Entertainment Board rating system
Letterboxd or IMDb should allow you to create "Groups" where members can rate movies and you can see a score based just off of that, instead of everyone with an internet connection.

I wonder why that hasn't been done yet.
AliasMan02
AG
C@LAg said:

AliasMan02 said:

C@LAg said:

it is definitely not the most "beloved".

It is by many, many, many people.
it really is not.

it might be their favorite, but not "beloved".

Black Panther is the clear favorite of a huge number of people. This is a weird hair to try and split. It's an incredibly important movie to a lot of people.

And more to the point, it seems to me that its tonal shift is easy to point to as to why it is so beloved by so many. It stands out in many ways, and that led to a #3 all time domestic gross.
redline248
AG
I'm having trouble thinking about the tonal shift that Black Panther had. Can you elaborate what you mean?
Phat32
AG
The fact that BP beat IW domestically but lost by $700MM internationally shows that there were some strong demographic and media factors at work.
AgfromHOU
AG
I agree, somewhat, but I do know plenty of the opposite demographic that regard Black Panther as their favorite superhero movie.

I'm not a fan, for the record
TexasAggie_02
AG
yukmonkey said:

The fact that BP beat IW domestically but lost by $700MM internationally shows that there were some strong demographic and media factors at work.

I recently took the kids to Disneyland. Photos with Capt America and Spider-Man had a 15-20 min wait. Black panther was standing around waiting for people to come up. We literally walked up with no one else around and got a pic with him.
MooreTrucker
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

yukmonkey said:

I recently took the kids to Disneyland. Photos with Capt America and Spider-Man had a 15-20 min wait. Black panther was standing around waiting for people to come up. We literally walked up with no one else around and got a pic with him.
Well, Cap and Spidey have been around and VERY popular for years, esp Spidey, before the MCU came along. BP was a fringe character at best, IIRC, unless it's been within the past 10 years or so.
Liquid Wrench
They're all gonna get blown out of the water by Iron Man IV: Demon in a Bottle
Civen
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

They're all gonna get blown out of the water by Iron Man IV: Demon in a Bottle
They already used up (wasted) that storyline in IM2
GiveEmHellBill
AG
MooreTrucker said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

yukmonkey said:

Well, Cap and Spidey have been around and VERY popular for years, esp Spidey, before the MCU came along. BP was a fringe character at best, IIRC, unless it's been within the past 10 years or so.
Ever seen the line for the two princesses from "Frozen"? Expect to wait around for about 3-4 hours.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll take Le Tit, Go for $600, Alex.
MooreTrucker
AG
C@LAg said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

MooreTrucker said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

yukmonkey said:

Ever seen the line for the two princesses from "Frozen"? Expect to wait around for about 3-4 hours.
#LetItGo.

Which when written like that could be read "Le tit, go!"
Oui, oui!
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'll take Le Tit, Go for $600, Alex.
Dude.....too soon.
First Page Last Page
Page 347 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.