*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,513,240 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AliasMan02 said:

My response to this is, what about the past decade, and the Russo Bros in particular, makes you even begin to consider this to be a possibility? They're not going to screw it up.
Well I am hesitant to say it and cause a derail on this thread and piss everyone off. But there is an undercurrent of complaints about the MCU in that it is too masculine and male dominated, devoid of women lead characters, devoid of "other demographics", too white, and too many women play subservient roles to men (Mantis, Pepper, Agent Hill, one could even argue Black Widow, SW, all the Wakanda women, and so on, because they take orders from men). I think these complaints are largely ignored because the MCU is just too well made and too much damn fun. So, at least to me, the timing aspect of adding some extremely powerful female being to the mix, this late in the game, is somewhat suspect. And if this decision was influenced by any other reason than the writers truly believing it was the very best option to conclude this story, than it's going to be harder to make it work.

Put another way, it just seems strange to add any major character, this late in the game, that significantly influences the outcome. So why do it?
AliasMan02
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Another interesting thing: I wonder what (if any) scenes were made just for the trailer. I know they did that for Infinity War.

I thought the same. Maybe the scenes of Banner and Thor, as placeholders.
fig96
AG
Max Power said:

I just hope Captain Marvel gets to make a rad entrance. When Thor showed up with Stormbreaker in IW to kick ass was one of the most fun moments in the MCU. I have total faith in the Russo's to do this right. I'm also looking forward to the return of The Hulk. I checked out IMDB to see if there might be any surprises and I didn't notice anything of note.
Aside: I always think how awesome it would've been if the first time we saw Wonder Woman in costume in BvS was when she dropped in front of Batman to deflect that blast with her shield. And if we hadn't seen it for 9 months before that in the trailers.

As you said, the Russo Bros have done nothing but repeatedly earn my trust so far. It's gonna be epic.
John Matrix
AG
Hard as a diamond right now. All joking aside, am I the only one who kind of hopes that Marvel would take a break after this?I know We're getting black panther 2, Spider-Man 2, captain marvel, etc., So a break obviously isn't going to happen, but I kind of feel like these movies are going to start in countering the problems that comics have in that there's really no end to them. Ironically, except for a few runs here and there, I could never fully get engaged with comics in general because of that precise reason. I kind of feel that a break may prevent that a little bit, but Disney needs to continue to milk the cash cow until dry.
AgMarauder04
AG
Urban Ag said:

AliasMan02 said:

My response to this is, what about the past decade, and the Russo Bros in particular, makes you even begin to consider this to be a possibility? They're not going to screw it up.
Well I am hesitant to say it and cause a derail on this thread and piss everyone off. But there is an undercurrent of complaints about the MCU in that it is too masculine and male dominated, devoid of women lead characters, devoid of "other demographics", too white, and too many women play subservient roles to men (Mantis, Pepper, Agent Hill, one could even argue Black Widow, SW, all the Wakanda women, and so on, because they take orders from men). I think these complaints are largely ignored because the MCU is just too well made and too much damn fun. So, at least to me, the timing aspect of adding some extremely powerful female being to the mix, this late in the game, is somewhat suspect. And if this decision was influenced by any other reason than the writers truly believing it was the very best option to conclude this story, than it's going to be harder to make it work.

Put another way, it just seems strange to add any major character, this late in the game, that significantly influences the outcome. So why do it?

We've known the captain marvel thing was coming. This isn't out of the blue.

This film has to wrap up the original avengers story AND launch the new class, so there will be significance in both groups and I imagine Marvel will be central to that.
AliasMan02
AG
John Matrix said:

Hard as a diamond right now. All joking aside, am I the only one who kind of hopes that Marvel would take a break after this?I know We're getting black panther 2, Spider-Man 2, captain marvel, etc., So a break obviously isn't going to happen, but I kind of feel like these movies are going to start in countering the problems that comics have in that there's really no end to them. Ironically, except for a few runs here and there, I could never fully get engaged with comics in general because of that precise reason. I kind of feel that a break may prevent that a little bit, but Disney needs to continue to milk the cash cow until dry.

What you're getting next will be basically new characters, arcs, and villains. Marvel isn't going to abandon their formula, but I don't see it getting stale any time soon. They've been doing it for ten years and it's better than it ever has been.
fig96
AG
Urban Ag said:

AliasMan02 said:

One could, but no one does Black Panther in particular had some awesome strong female characters, some in very traditionally male roles.

I think you're reaching and projecting your own fears here, the Russos have done nothing to indicate they can't handle another strong character very well.
MBAR
AG
Urban Ag said:

MBAR said:

The idea that Capt Marvel is going to be nothing but a space Uber for Tony is laughable. She's going to play a major role.
Clearly. And I think that is grinding a lot of people's gears. To have any single new character jump in right here at the end and have some significant impact in to defeating Thanos and/or reversing the snap, just seems illegitimate and contrived.

I'm not rooting against A4. Quite the opposite. I just hope they can pull this off without blemishing what has been a mostly amazing series of movies.

Vision
veryfuller
Staff
AG
YES.
bearamedic99
AG
Anyone else annoyed at AntMan's entrance and dialogue? I enjoy Paul Rudd normally and don't remember reading any AntMan books but the AM movies have felt boring to me. AM's bit in this teaser seemed to be more Paul Rudd playing Paul Rudd than a former thief turned hero.
texasaggie04
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Is Thor in the Raft?

No, went back and looked... where he is looks familiar, though. Can't place it.

Probably in the Avengers HQ, that's where the remaining few seem to be grouping.

Also, NINJA ****ING HAWKEYE!
TexasAggie_02
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Anyone else annoyed at AntMan's entrance and dialogue? I enjoy Paul Rudd normally and don't remember reading any AntMan books but the AM movies have felt boring to me. AM's bit in this teaser seemed to be more Paul Rudd playing Paul Rudd than a former thief turned hero.
GTFO. that was great
Farmer1906
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Is Thor in the Raft?

No, went back and looked... where he is looks familiar, though. Can't place it.

No chance the raft could hold Thor.
Noblemen06
AG
AliasMan02 said:

John Matrix said:

What you're getting next will be basically new characters, arcs, and villains. Marvel isn't going to abandon their formula, but I don't see it getting stale any time soon. They've been doing it for ten years and it's better than it ever has been.
Considering tentpole Marvel characters like Spider-man didn't even show up until 2/3 of the way through this generation of the MCU and we may be on the cusp of Marvel Studios owning the X-Men and Fantastic Four rights (finally), I'd say they have, easily, another 10-15 years' worth of compelling material to use without it getting stale; if not more. ...and that's just with the "main" Marvel characters. They managed to make the Guardians of the Galaxy mainstream with the MCU, so I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled off making some more obscure characters into franchises in the future.
fig96
AG
bearamedic99 said:

I feel like if you didn't like the Ant-Man films you really don't enjoy Paul Rudd. He plays that same "mostly himself" character in a bit more of a reserved role, with the occasionally geeky moments like we see in the trailer or in Civil War.

swimmerbabe11
I feel like Paul Rudd is Ant Man, the way RDJ is Tony Stark
rhutton125
AG
MBAR said:

Urban Ag said:

MBAR said:

The idea that Capt Marvel is going to be nothing but a space Uber for Tony is laughable. She's going to play a major role.
Clearly. And I think that is grinding a lot of people's gears. To have any single new character jump in right here at the end and have some significant impact in to defeating Thanos and/or reversing the snap, just seems illegitimate and contrived.

I'm not rooting against A4. Quite the opposite. I just hope they can pull this off without blemishing what has been a mostly amazing series of movies.

Vision

Or Doctor Strange. He had one film, one very minor cameo and suddenly he's one of the 3 most important figures in Infinity War. And I loved it.

CM will play a role, no doubt. It remains to be seen if it's the size of Ant-Man's in Civil War, or Strange in Infinity War. But either way, the original Avengers will get theirs.

My prediction:
Scott escapes the Quantum Realm (via a time vortex?) and rushes to NY to suggest going back in time. The Avengers gather everyone they can, including Hawkeye. Not sure how CM will factor in, but she definitely will. I think she joins them on the mission. Maybe saves Tony.

Nice to not have all the answers!
Apache
AG
Quote:

I feel like Paul Rudd is Ant Man, the way RDJ is Tony Stark
Agreed. The only actor I haven't liked in the MCU was Ed Norton as the Hulk (that movie was one of my least favorites as well). Much prefer the way they have developed Banner/Hulk since then.
MooreTrucker
AG
Completely agree. Of course, I pretty much hate Norton in anything, so there's that....
swimmerbabe11
Post removed:
by user
hurleyag
AG
Personally wish I hadn't seen this. Guess I'm leaving the thread until after seeing the movie.
TexasAggie_02
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

My arlo cameras archive immediately. I can watch something that just happened less than a minute ago, and still assume that it's "right now" especially since he's just chilling at the gate.
TexasAggie_02
AG
stolen from reddit:

Tony starts out Endgame in much the same way as Iron Man. MIA, trapped in a dark, confined space, clinging onto life, with nothing but his wits, a box of scraps, and a black wife beater.

Bobcat06
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

My arlo cameras archive immediately. I can watch something that just happened less than a minute ago, and still assume that it's "right now" especially since he's just chilling at the gate.
Quantum realm time travel
Post removed:
by user
IronRed13
AG
third coast.. said:

ok maybe i am misremembering. i thought antman came out of the quantum realm? why all the talk about it?
Antman and Wasp post credit scene
Post removed:
by user
tamusc
AG
Flashdiaz
AG
She never says it's current... he asks if it's old footage and she just says it's the front door. Could be archived...
Post removed:
by user
jtstanley4621
AG
Theory on reddit about the archive footage:

swimmerbabe11
Oooh what if he meets captain marvel in the past and fetches her help
swimmerbabe11
hurleyag said:

Personally wish I hadn't seen this. Guess I'm leaving the thread until after seeing the movie.

I'm really sorry. Imo, it opens up more questions than answers
TexasAggie_02
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 318 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.