*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,458,835 Views | 27631 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by maroon barchetta
ScottH_01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

By your logic no two movies' BO should ever be compared unless they release on the same calendar date?
Comparing two things always becomes way more complicated that a straight one to one comparison, but no, I'm not saying they shouldn't be compared. I enjoy watching the numbers on these behemoth films that are coming out lately, it's kinda fun. But you can't ignore the open waters that TFA and BP had coming out of their respective opening weekends. TFA had basically two full weeks of weekend like numbers b/c of the Christmas holidays, it's going to be near impossible for anything to match that especially during the school year/work week (plus the pent up desire for a good/enjoyable Star Wars flick).

It's fun to watch the numbers and I'm interested to see where how it plays out, especially since I feel IW was a vastly superior film to TFA. What I'm interested to see now is what the staying power of IW will be, can it maintain 20 mill+ weekdays? If it can for a while it'll be real interesting to see how much it brings in, personally I think it's still a bit early to be making estimates there are no real competitors for the next two weekends.
The Collective
AG
I'm not sure why Disney didn't flip Solo and IW. IW would have had a ton of staying power with summer starting.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm legitimately curious if a summer movie could possibly do TFA / Avatar numbers.

Makes you wonder if they held onto Avengers 4 for a Christmas release (not that they should), if they could do those kinds of numbers.
AgMarauder04
AG
I bet no. Too much blockbuster competition.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm legitimately curious if a summer movie could possibly do TFA / Avatar numbers.

Makes you wonder if they held onto Avengers 4 for a Christmas release (not that they should), if they could do those kinds of numbers.
I don't see what difference it would make. A Christmas release may see a bump the first few days after opening weekend, but the people that are going to see Avengers are going to see it no matter when its released. I guess I don't see how a Christmas release would have people go see it that otherwise would not with an April or May release.
AgMarauder04
AG
Depends on if it coincides with school holidays, I think
TexasAggie_02
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I don't see what difference it would make. A Christmas release may see a bump the first few days after opening weekend, but the people that are going to see Avengers are going to see it no matter when its released. I guess I don't see how a Christmas release would have people go see it that otherwise would not with an April or May release.
kids off on break will see it over and over b/c there is no school and no homework, and their parent's don't want them in the house driving them crazy.
Bruce Almighty
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

kids off on break will see it over and over b/c there is no school and no homework, and their parent's don't want them in the house driving them crazy.
They can see it over and over during summer and on weekends as well. Also, I don't think middle school / high school kids make up the bulk of repeat viewings.
jeffk
AG
Should I see Infinity War in standard, IMAX or 3D? (Disclaimer: I'm not a huge fan of 3D - it's a distraction for me.)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
IMAX - For sure. Filmed entirely in IMAX.

3D - I found the 3D very well done. It added a lot of depth and was one of the better uses of 3D I've seen. (Similar to GOTG 1 and Avatar.)

So, if IMAX 3D is an option, I'd go with that. Otherwise, I'd do IMAX.
MooreTrucker
AG
Quote:

but the people that are going to see Avengers are going to see it no matter when its released.
This is what I think, too. Is the timing important simply for the multiple-views aspect of it? In which case, I still think it's going to get views because of the scope and scale of it all and not wanting to miss anything important.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
jeffk said:

Should I see Infinity War in standard, IMAX or 3D? (Disclaimer: I'm not a huge fan of 3D - it's a distraction for me.)
I don't tend to stray very far from my home in Cinco Ranch when I go to the movies, but I've decided that I am absolutely seeing IW on the nearest IMAX screen, which is at Dunvale off Westheimer. I've been to that theater before, many years ago when I was single and lived closer in town, but I don't recall there being an IMAX screen there at the time.

I'm going to that theater tomorrow to see it (squeezing in a third viewing during the day while everyone is at work or school, ha ha)
jeffk
AG
That's helpful, thanks!

Went with IMAX here in Bryan. Solo movie dates are my favorite.
jeffk
AG
THIRD?!

My role model!!
fig96
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

jeffk said:

I don't tend to stray very far from my home in Cinco Ranch when I go to the movies, but I've decided that I am absolutely seeing IW on the nearest IMAX screen, which is at Dunvale off Westheimer. I've been to that theater before, many years ago when I was single and lived closer in town, but I don't recall there being an IMAX screen there at the time.

I'm going to that theater tomorrow to see it (squeezing in a third viewing during the day while everyone is at work or school, ha ha)
That one has been upgraded for several years now, I used to live right off San Felipe and Voss. Should be a good screen.
wangus12
AG
Need to get over the the massive IMAX at Cinemark 17 in Dallas for viewing #4
TCTTS
AG
AgMarauder04
AG
They should just snag Patty Jenkins and call it a day.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My money's on Michelle MacLaren.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dr. Horrible
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

jeffk said:

I live close to that theatre, but I routinely avoid it. I'd recommend going to the Regal by 99/249. Worth the extra drive.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Here are the global numbers to beat.

1. Avatar
$2,788.0

2. Titanic
$2,187.5

3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
$2,068.2

4. Jurassic World
$1,671.7

5. Marvel's The Avengers
$1,518.8
AgMarauder04
AG
That feat is staggering.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

AgMarauder04
AG
I was thinking that this is like one sibling winning a title from the other, but the family doesn't change.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jesus. Next year, Disney will have:

1. Captain Marvel
2. Avengers 4
3. The Lion King
4. Star Wars Episode IX

That's going to be a lot of ****ing money. They easily break $6B with those 4, right?
AgMarauder04
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

1. Captain Marvel
2. Avengers 4
3. The Lion King
4. Star Wars Episode IX

That's going to be a lot of ****ing money. They easily break $6B with those 4, right?
Good Gawd.

Is IX already next year? I thought it was 2020?
AgMarauder04
AG
Imagine the profitability if they dumped ESPN.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nah, it's every other year.

It's crazy that they have the climaxes for both franchises in the same year.
AgMarauder04
AG
I guess I forgot that the switch from December to May has it feeling like it's so quick after VIII
ScottH_01
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

1. Captain Marvel
2. Avengers 4
3. The Lion King
4. Star Wars Episode IX

This year's got as good a shot, though likely not.

1. Star Wars VIII (End of)
2. Black Panther
3. IW
4. Solo
5. Incredibles 2
6. Ant Man & the Wasp
7. Pooh
8. Wreck-it Ralph 2
9. Mary Poppins

2019 also has
Toy Story 4 & Frozen 2 & Conspicuously absent 2nd half of the year Marvel movie
ScottH_01
AG
Jeez, through April 29th on Disney's best year (2016 3 Billion), they were at $866 Million. They're at $1,178 this year.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

1. Captain Marvel
2. Avengers 4
3. The Lion King
4. Star Wars Episode IX

That's just insane. It's also apparent how 2019 is also very much a culmination of each of Disney's "new" properties. Marvel, Lucasfilm, and their live-action remakes of their classic cartoons. It's the end of the current iteration of the Avengers, the end of the Skywalker saga, and they can't go any bigger than The Lion King in terms of live-action remakes. Disney is OBVIOUSLY going to continue to print money well into the next decade and beyond, but it'll be interesting to see how they handle having to retool these franchises starting in 2020.
First Page Last Page
Page 260 of 790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.