*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,357,821 Views | 27153 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TCTTS
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cromagnum said:

I bet Infinity Wars blows the doors of TFA opening weekend. My local theaters have been sold out of tickets for a week and the movie is still two weeks out. People genuinely want to see this.
TFA crashed all the movie and Fandango sites when they went on sale. Their presale was pretty insane.
Bruce Almighty
AG
It's like people have forgotten how big TFA was. It was sold out at my theater opening night a couple months before it came out.
Farmer1906
AG
Last I article i saw said IW was trending to 175-200
Bruce Almighty
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Last I article i saw said IW was trending to 175-200
Making 175 would be as shocking as breaking 240.
Sex Panther
AG
No way it makes less than 200 opening weekend
FTACO97
AG
I really think we're under-selling what it could possibly do opening weekend. I think the only film that "might" be safe is TFA. As far as pre-sales go, it's outselling Black Panther 2-to-1 and has already sold more than the past 7 Marvel films combined. This brings together every major character that they've built for the past 10 years into one story. The scope is so much larger than the past Avengers films.
MBAR
AG
The truth is that no one here really knows how much money its going to do. I'm not sure I find any conversation as boring as how much money a movie might make.

2 more weeks.
Dr. Horrible
FTACO97 said:

I really think we're under-selling what it could possibly do opening weekend. I think the only film that "might" be safe is TFA. As far as pre-sales go, it's outselling Black Panther 2-to-1 and has already sold more than the past 7 Marvel films combined. This brings together every major character that they've built for the past 10 years into one story. The scope is so much larger than the past Avengers films.
I just wish they were bringing in Daredevil and the rest of the tv crew, even if it was just a bit part cameo.

That said, our group bought 12 tickets to TFA opening night. For this one, its just the wife and me...
TexasAggie_02
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

FTACO97 said:

I just wish they were bringing in Daredevil and the rest of the tv crew, even if it was just a bit part cameo.

That said, our group bought 12 tickets to TFA opening night. For this one, its just the wife and me...
it'll be interesting to see how netflix addresses it going forward. They always talk about "the incident" or "battle for New York"

Isn't Luke Cage S2 coming out this summer? I wonder when it will take place? Would be neat to have one of the shows deal with the aftermath between IW and Avengers 4.
Sex Panther
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

FTACO97 said:

Those dudes have no business being anywhere near this. Unless they have Thanos punch Iron Fist's head off.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MBAR said:

I'm not sure I find any conversation as boring as how much money a movie might make.
So, don't participate?
Urban Ag
AG
The only movie I have ever pre bought tickets for was TFA. I enjoy the MCU, mostly as a fun movies to see with my kids, but it doesn't have a "cultural" connection to me the way Star Wars does. The TFA remains the biggest hype train for a movie I have ever seen in my life and it's not even close. I work for a big multi national based in Europe who declared it Star Wars Week the week of the premiere. We had executives speaking to the company wearing Star Wars shirts. It was unreal.

All that said, I have no idea if it can beat TFA for opening records, just sayin I've never seen that kind of hype before. Should be interesting. The MCU is such a quality product.
TXAGFAN
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

FTACO97 said:

Daredevil would get destroyed.
Bruce Almighty
AG
TXAGFAN said:

Dr. Horrible said:

FTACO97 said:

He's no different than Black Widow and I'd rather have Luke Cage by my side than her or Hawkeye.
Farmer1906
AG
TXAGFAN said:

Dr. Horrible said:

FTACO97 said:

Just depends on the writing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Star-Lord is mortal now, right? So he'll basically be just a dude with a gun.
Farmer1906
AG
Suit that he can go through space in, jet boots, he's a badass pilot, plus fighter & dancer, and I'd say his weapons are better than just a gun.
MBAR
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I suspect he's still got some power left but he's just not immortal.
swimmerbabe11
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's what he was in GOTG 1 and he still got by okay.

The defenders and AoS team could be useful in some way, I'm sure.
Farmer1906
AG
Was he? He didn't die in space right away and he held a gem that should have killed him.
Dr. Horrible
Glad this discussion came up before my rewatch of GOTG2 this weekend, I'll have to pay closer attention.
TXAG 05
AG
Urban Ag said:

The only movie I have ever pre bought tickets for was TFA. I enjoy the MCU, mostly as a fun movies to see with my kids, but it doesn't have a "cultural" connection to me the way Star Wars does. The TFA remains the biggest hype train for a movie I have ever seen in my life and it's not even close. I work for a big multi national based in Europe who declared it Star Wars Week the week of the premiere. We had executives speaking to the company wearing Star Wars shirts. It was unreal.

All that said, I have no idea if it can beat TFA for opening records, just sayin I've never seen that kind of hype before. Should be interesting. The MCU is such a quality product.

As big as the the hype for TFA was, the hype for Phantom Menace was bigger.

I have no doubt that Avengers will make a lot of money, but Star Wars is just a different animal. I like all the marvel movies, but I have yet to see a single one in the theater, where there is no chance of missing a Star Wars movie on the big screen for me.
Brick Tamland
Legendary Outlaw
texasaggie04
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

To be fair, that's all widow or Hawkeye or rocket are. Except weapon differences. And one is a raccoon.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Can you imagine what their rate will go up to after becoming 3 time guardians of the Galaxy?
Dr. Horrible
texasaggie04 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

To be fair, that's all widow or Hawkeye or rocket are. Except weapon differences. And one is a trash panda.
FIFY
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's so much worse.
Brick Tamland
2 time Galaxy, one time Universe
Cromagnum
AG
MBAR said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Power was gone when Ego was destroyed. You see the light vanish from Quill's hands when it happens. He ain't gonna be holding any power stones this time around.
Urban Ag
AG
I'll take your word for it. You would have been a teenager and probably pretty plugged in. I was in my mid 20's and outside of music, pretty disconnected with popular culture/entertainment world.
Urban Ag
AG
So I was thinking about just how genius Disney was in producing a stand alone Black Panther film as part of the MCU/Avengers arc.

You essentially tap in to three audiences. You already have the same fane base that's seeing the MCU films. And it's huge. Add the interest generated by what TCTTS referred to as "an under represented audience", which is fair and factual. For the third audience, let's just be honest with ourselves, a lot of tickets were purchased for this film because a lot of folks wanted to see this film more so to see it succeed than because they had much if any interest in the MCU. The good news is they got to see a good movie regardless.

And that's really the point. They made a great movie that appealed to a much broader audience and in doing so assuredly created new MCU fans that will want more Black Panther, more Avengers, more MCU. And they did this just a few months before releasing their biggest MCU epic to date. And......BP and Wakanda seem to be a significant part of the story.

That is f'in genius.

SeattleAgJr
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
texasaggie04 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

To be fair, that's all widow or Hawkeye or rocket are. Except weapon differences. And one is a raccoon.

I thought he had a bunch of cybernetic enhancements that make him stronger, faster, and smarter.
MBAR
AG
Cromagnum said:

MBAR said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Power was gone when Ego was destroyed. You see the light vanish from Quill's hands when it happens. He ain't gonna be holding any power stones this time around.
Eh, I'm betting that's not the case because this is a comic book universe.
SeattleAgJr
there is no reason to assume he has any "super powers" left.

anything he had was due to his dad, and destroyed with his dad.

his power is his team.
First Page Last Page
Page 246 of 776

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.