*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,354,537 Views | 27148 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by C@LAg
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FTACO97 said:

So I watched Captain America: Winter Soldier last night for my binge of the MCU films leading up to Infinity War. It's always been a favorite of mine, but it now stands at the very top of all the movies. Such a good movie. For my money, there's no better Captain America action sequence than him clearing the deck of that ship at the beginning of the movie.

Also reminded me that Infinity War should be awesome as it's Russo brothers again, same directors.
Totally, it's definitely in my top 2 and that sequence is fantastic. It has some great action, tells you exactly who Cap is and what he believes, and sets the stage well for the rest of the film.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Any predictions on opening weekend? Will it beat TFA?

I'm thinking it edges it out, $250M.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I don't think it breaks TFA record. The hype for that movie was unlike anything I've ever seen. People that weren't even Star Wars fans were seeing it. I think beats Jurassic World for third place for sure, maybe TLJ for 2nd, but not #1.
TXAGFAN
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I don't think it breaks TFA record. The hype for that movie was unlike anything I've ever seen. People that weren't even Star Wars fans were seeing it. I think beats Jurassic World for third place for sure, maybe TLJ for 2nd, but not #1.
How old are you? I don't think Star Wars resonates nearly as much with the younger crowd. Also, the Marvel audience is fairly wide. My 60yo mother watched Civil War this weekend with nephew and I, she LOVED it. I have no doubt I could get her out to see Infinity Wars, but NO WAY would she go to a star wars movie.
M.C. Swag
AG
TXAGFAN said:

Bruce Almighty said:

How old are you? I don't think Star Wars resonates nearly as much with the younger crowd. Also, the Marvel audience is fairly wide. My 60yo mother watched Civil War this weekend with nephew and I, she LOVED it. I have no doubt I could get her out to see Infinity Wars, but NO WAY would she go to a star wars movie.
1) SW absolutely resonates with the 'younger' crowd. Toy, costume, and media (cartoon & video game) sales for all things SW has never been higher. You don't get over $2b in box office revenue without selling the kids.

However, SW also benefited from a long hibernation. We are currently in the midst of a 'cinema super hero' renaissance (or some would even argue...'fatigue'). So on one hand, the...."thirst" for a SW movie was far greater than what would be expected for 'another' marvel film.....BUT we've also never had a tent pole movie like IW ever executed.

I think the ceiling for IW is that #1 spot. If its mediocre, I don't see how it doesn't supplant JW at least. If its actually good.....sky is the limit.
Bruce Almighty
AG
TXAGFAN said:

Bruce Almighty said:

I'm 39 and am around young kids all day (teacher). Star Wars is huge with the younger crowd. Also, go to a couple of comic book conventions and Star Wars is still the biggest franchise out there.
Farmer1906
AG
FTACO97 said:

So I watched Captain America: Winter Soldier last night for my binge of the MCU films leading up to Infinity War. It's always been a favorite of mine, but it now stands at the very top of all the movies. Such a good movie. For my money, there's no better Captain America action sequence than him clearing the deck of that ship at the beginning of the movie.

Also reminded me that Infinity War should be awesome as it's Russo brothers again, same directors.

That scene always kind of reminded me of an old metal gear solid game.
John Matrix
AG
Like a lot of you guys, I'm doing a re-watch of the entire series leading up until Infinity war. A couple of random observations:

1. Age of Ultron is underrated as hell. It's not the classic The Avengers is, but this film plays a lot better the more times you see it. It's actually one of the more thematic complex films Marvel has ever produced that just happens to be hindered by the need to stuff a ton of new characters into the narrative. I kind of think it gets a bad wrap because it seems kind of inconsequential to the whole of the series. It's like a mid-season episode of a TV series that builds character, but doesn't do anything drastic plot wise. Still, great character work throughout.

2.Iron Man 2 is not the disaster I remember, but it's still not that great.

3. The Cap trilogy is amazing. I'm going to echo the love for The Winter Soldier here. Not only is TWS a great marvel film, it's one of the great action movies period of the past twenty years. While the action is obviously great, it captures Cap's character perfectly. Each film is a slight commentary on the unyielding moral compass of, "god's righteous man", from war hero (TFA), to moral bedrock in a sea of conspiracy chaos (TWS), to eventual fault in Cap's own loyalty (Civil War.)

4. The Guardians films are amazing.

5. Thor: The Dark World kind of sucks. I remember actually liking this when it first came out, but upon re-watch, the flaws in this film are crystal clear. I don't care about jane; I don't care about the vilian; I don't care.

More to come.
jeffk
AG
Age of Ultron also gave us a pretty awesome initial sequence of the whole team fighting together. It's fun to see all the fighting styles working together in concert. The slow-motion jumping in unison shot was a bit lame, but the rest was super-fun.

Edit: Also gave us the "Language!" line which is still one of my favorite moments in the series.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

I kind of think it gets a bad wrap because it seems kind of inconsequential to the whole of the series. It's like a mid-season episode of a TV series that builds character, but doesn't do anything drastic plot wise. Still, great character work throughout.
Yup, this is exactly it. I did enjoy it a bit more this time around, but this remains true and it holds it back from being a true classic. The same applies (to a lesser extent) to Civil War.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This seems fairly anecdotal.
Bobcat06
AG
I didn't like Civil War first time I watched it because I felt it was too busy and introduced too many new characters (sames as IM2 and Ultron), but after repeat viewings it has grown on me.
TXAGFAN
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Star Wars buzz after the last awful movie was basically 0. Hearing much people outside of fan boys talking about Han Solo movie?
Brick Tamland
I didn't like it because I saw Winter Soldier for the first time right before I left for the theater to see Civil War.
fig96
AG
TXAGFAN said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Star Wars buzz after the last awful movie was basically 0. Hearing much people outside of fan boys talking about Han Solo movie?
A good chunk of my team at lunch yesterday (mostly female).

And my nephews live, eat, and breathe both Star Wars and Marvel.
AliasMan02
AG
TXAGFAN said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

The "terrible movie" comment is the most anecdotal, given its performance in the theater and on home media and the overall response outside of a deliberate campaign by a small group of insular devotees of the old regime. That dismissive appraisal is the definition of anecdotal.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Marvel may appeal to grandmothers, but those grandmothers aren't going to see it opening weekend. The hype for TFA was years in the making and had people foaming at the mouth to see it. It benefited from being years between ROTS and TFA. IW comes out a couple months after Black Panther. Now if IW ends up being this all time great movie, then maybe it catches TFA eventually, but I'll be shocked if it breaks the opening record.
Farmer1906
AG
Top opening weekends
1. TFA - 248
2. TLJ - 220
3. JW - 209
4. Avengers - 207
5. BP - 202
6. AoU - 191
7. CW - 179

I think it'll top Avengers and probably JW. It'll probably be very close to TLJ. I can't see it topping TFA. The gap between 1 & 2 is about the same as 2 & 6.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
So I just finished watching entry #15 on my chronological viewing of the MCU. That was Black Panther. Next up is Spiderman Homecoming, followed by Doctor Stranger and wrapping up with Thor Ragnorak. I was initially not going to include Black Panther in this marathon since it is still in theaters, but I'm glad I went.

I first saw it a few days after my Dad passed, and I just wasn't emotionally there for the movie. I picked up so much more of it today. Truly a great movie. I did kinda laugh looking at their aircraft/spaceship craft, specifically the underside that looked like a Norelco electric razor.
Bruce Almighty
AG
After seeing Black Panther a second time, I now put it into the great category. I think I let some of the negativity towards the movie on this site cloud my thinking a bit, but I really enjoyed the movie.
M.C. Swag
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

After seeing Black Panther a second time, I now put it into the great category. I think I let some of the negativity towards the movie on this site cloud my thinking a bit, but I really enjoyed the movie.
"Great" for all movies? or for marvel movies?
Brick Tamland
I thought it was really good. Not billion dollars good, but $800k-$900k good.
Farmer1906
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Which standard is higher? I feel like most MCU movies a good to great.
M.C. Swag
AG
Farmer1906 said:

M.C. Swag said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Which standard is higher?
lol u serious?
TexasAggie_02
AG
interesting Dr Strange tidbit. His timeloop with Dormammu gave him ample time to practice and explore his capabilities as a sorcerer.

TexasAggie_02
AG
Star-Lord prepares to meet Gamora's father.....

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Bruce Almighty said:

For me, Marvel movies, but why does it matter? I rank The Winter Soldier as among the very best that I have ever seen, better, in fact (for me), than many of the movies that many have deemed to be the best (something like, say, The Godfather). Black Panther is a very well made movie with a great cast of characters; in terms of the MCU, it is one of the great ones, as opposed to merely good.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

M.C. Swag said:

Bruce Almighty said:

For me, Marvel movies, but why does it matter? I rank The Winter Soldier as among the very best that I have ever seen, better, in fact (for me), than many of the movies that many have deemed to be the best (something like, say, The Godfather). Black Panther is a very well made movie with a great cast of characters; in terms of the MCU, it is one of the great ones, as opposed to merely good.
Marvel has done an excellent job with their movies. Even the worst one I've seen (Incredible Hulk) is still something I can willingly waste two hours watching (I haven't seen Thor 2 yet).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

I rank The Winter Soldier as among the very best that I have ever seen, better, in fact (for me), than many of the movies that many have deemed to be the best (something like, say, The Godfather).
Bruce Almighty
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Bruce Almighty said:

When I say great, I'm talking about great comic book movies. I'd never try to compare Black Panther to something like The Godfather.
TajMaballer
AG
Ehh, Godfather is fine, but I don't remember an awesome elevator scene. My vote is for Winter Soldier
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
To clarify regarding The Godfather, I think that is an awesome movie. No idea how many times I've seen it, but for me I place high value on how entertained I was and on re-watchability. The Godfather is a deep movie that really does not lend itself to just sitting down and watching it on a kind of auto-pilot way. When I've chosen to watch The Godfather, I have allotted the time for it and have set my focus to it.

With a typical comic book movie, I can just sit and watch, maybe get up to take out the trash or get on the computer, and still pick up the movie just fine when something cool happens. These movies don't require the same attention span that a movie like The Godfather does.

In that light, certainly The Godfather is a better movie, but with the 5-10 times I've watched The Godfather versus the 40+ times I've watched The Winter Soldier, it's clear that I get far more enjoyment out of a movie like the latter.
TexasAggie_02
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BhdJRHtH9XP
TCTTS
AG
In other words, again, it's going to be years before we see these words collide...

Cromagnum
AG
I bet Infinity Wars blows the doors of TFA opening weekend. My local theaters have been sold out of tickets for a week and the movie is still two weeks out. People genuinely want to see this.
First Page Last Page
Page 245 of 776

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.