Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,604,068 Views | 45375 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by jokershady
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I get not wanting another Rey movie, but Lucasfilm not being able to bring a single movie to the big screen in seven years, despite multiple attempts, is not good news at all.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've said this before, but I don't even get my hopes up anything they announce until they actually start rolling on the film or show.

I can't even remember how many things this has happened with now. Rogue Squadron, Lando, the D&D movie, the Rian Johnson "trilogy", the Taika movie, now this.

Granted, this isn't something I was even that excited for, but it just continues to show what a complete ****show Lucasfilm currently is.
Farmer1906
AG
Sure, but no movies >>> terrible movies.
TCTTS
AG
I would argue that the likes of Damon Lindelof and Steven Knight almost assuredly didn't deliver "terrible movies." Hence my issue with Lucasfilm noting them to death / not letting them cook. Which is the bigger issue I'm talking about. Lucasfilm is continually stifling good filmmakers in order to meet some obtuse, preconceived notion of what a Star Wars movie is.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Really makes me wish I could have seen the Lord/Miller version of Solo.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To play devil's advocate, some would say that is what started this mess in the first place. (Giving Rian Johnson free rein on TLJ.)

But to be fair, that's more of a symptom of the much larger problem that was having no set plan for the trilogy.
TCTTS
AG
True. The problem is, ever since, they've been overcorrecting to a ridiculous and detrimental degree.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm of two minds on this one currently.

On one hand, I'm glad they realized what a bad idea the Rey movie was and they cut their losses early. And that they're being a lot more careful before committing to a movie after the disaster of TROS.

On the other hand, I really wish they'd stop making all these announcements and "casting" their directors, or hiring big names before they even have a script ready.

Focus on a good story, and go from there. And for the love of God, stop announcing things until you're 100% sure it's a go project.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

On one hand, I'm glad they realized what a bad idea the Rey movie was and they cut their losses early. And that they're being a lot more careful before committing to a movie after the disaster of TROS.

On the other hand, I really wish they'd stop making all these announcements and "casting" their directors, or hiring big names before they even have a script ready.

Focus on a good story, and go from there. And for the love of God, stop announcing things until you're 100% sure it's a go project.

We don't know this to be true, and again, I would argue that writers of the caliber of Lindelof and Knight likely delivered great scripts. If so, my issue is that the current suits at Lucasfilm aren't allowing any other brand of "great" than their preconceived notions of what a Star Wars movie should be.

Otherwise, I agree with everything else you're saying, re: announcing movies way too early.
Jim01
AG
Boo! I love Rey and was glad she was maybe going to get a better movie ending than TROS.
Farmer1906
AG
What makes you think Lucas is throwing out a good picture? With the garbage they've put out on the big and small screen, the bar seems pretty low.
TCTTS
AG
Because Damon Lindelof and Steven Knight are two of the best screenwriters around. Lindelof, in particular, had an entire "writers room" helping him conceive the project, then he and another writer went off and wrote the script itself. A sh*t ton of time, planning, and effort went into that iteration, with a number of creative minds involved. After that, Knight took multiple shots at it, and Lucasfilm apparently still wasn't happy. So what's more likely, a number of great minds failed to stick the landing - or - Lucasfilm is forcing a myopic movie on those great minds? My guess is the latter, though I could always of course be wrong.
TCTTS
AG
At this point, until we get more info, I'm taking World of Reels' word of Germain's. I like Germain a lot, but he's also one of the guys who Disney invites to every single Star Wars/Marvel premiere, is constantly holding water for them, and this reads like damage control to me...

double aught
AG
It's not all garbage. They've had plenty of hits.
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yes, this company has clearly never heard the term "under promise and over deliver".

They are clown world at this point. Considering Igor's reset of all things Disney, this would seem like an opportune time to reset the leadership as well. Give Kathleen her parachute and start over.
TCTTS
AG
Kennedy's current contract ends later this year. My guess is it's simply not renewed, but I don't know that the brand can wait until fall for sweeping changes to be made.
The Collective
AG
Stranger Things has a tighter schedule than Lucasfilm.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I just wish there was more clarity on why things keep getting delayed. It can't all be Kennedy pressing the abort button at the top shelf. Marvel and Disney continue to churn out things non stop, although I think i'd rather watch Spilner hit on Natalie Portman for 2 hours than ever see "Wish" again.

Like the Rogue Squadron movie. WW 1984 definitely sucked, but no worse than like Green Lantern or Batman and Robin. Why should one bad movie be worth more than the really good movie that came out first? Is it one mistake and you're done for life? If that's the case, why does Zack Snyder get 50 chances?

I'm assuming GATM (Grogu and Mando) will come out because it has the smallest closed circuit possible - Filoni and Favreau. I also assume that everything else that is past that date on the SW timeline is going to get closed out until after Filoni makes his Thrawn / Rebels/ GATM super movie, There have been plenty of connections between the sequels and the wave of Disney plus stuff, but it seems obvious that Filoni's only concern is telling the near future story of SW - from ROTJ extending anther 10-15 years, involving he and Favreau's creations and nothing else, other than the Old Republic stuff coming from TV and movies. And I don't blame him one bit if he wants to tell those stories, cuz that is a fun time with a lot of open area to color in.
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

At this point, until we get more info, I'm taking World of Reels' word of Germain's. I like Germain a lot, but he's also one of the guys who Disney invites to every single Star Wars/Marvel premiere, is constantly holding water for them, and this reads like damage control to me...

I'm just waiting for the right moment to strike and take him out and have it become Porkchop Lussier with all those sweet info. I already schill for Lucasfilm, might as well get paid for it!
Farmer1906
AG
double aught said:

Like?

double aught
AG
Really?

Andor
Rogue One
Force Awakens
Mando
Solo (Quality more than box office)
Chipotlemonger
AG
Farmer1906 said:

double aught said:

Like?

Personally, I wouldn't use the word "plenty" as they did...but Andor and Rogue One are near perfect series and movies.

Edit to add: Solo and TFA are just fine too. Good hits quality wise, no damage.
Quad Dog
AG
Am I the only one perfectly fine not seeing another Star Wars movie set 20BBY-50ABY. Basically I'm done seeing stories set in the "Skywalker" era
Chipotlemonger
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

What's up with the blank area under "The Old Republic?"

We want KOTOR! Also, freaking Battlefront is listed on here, where is KOTOR?!
Old post bump.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Quad Dog said:

Am I the only one perfectly fine not seeing another Star Wars movie set 20BBY-50ABY. Basically I'm done seeing stories set in the "Skywalker" era
Preach
MASAXET
AG
TCTTS said:

There is absolutely no reason this job should be so complicated and see this many headaches.

There is also no excuse at this point to be holding on so tight / treating this franchise so preciously, and your comment is exactly the reason why.

Fans ALREADY have one foot out the door. Interest has ALREADY wained.

The damage is done.

It's time to trust filmmakers and let Star Wars take chances / be something new. We need someone in charge who finally understands that.

This is one of the reasons why I actually like TLJ more than most - they tried to let the old things die and tell a different story. People can argue about whether or not the move stuck the landing, but I liked doing things differently the way they did. Just my $0.02.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

We don't know this to be true, and again, I would argue that writers of the caliber of Lindelof and Knight likely delivered great scripts. If so, my issue is that the current suits at Lucasfilm aren't allowing any other brand of "great" than their preconceived notions of what a Star Wars movie should be.

Otherwise, I agree with everything else you're saying, re: announcing movies way too early.
My intuitive guess is that that the scripts were not modern-woke enough for Disney.
TCTTS
AG
This nonsense again?
Farmer1906
AG
double aught said:

Really?

Andor
Rogue One
Force Awakens
Mando
I think some would question if these are all "hits".

Hit Rate

Live Action: 40% (2/5)
Animated: 0% (0/6)
Films: 60% (3/5)
Overall: 31% (5/16)

Seems pretty poor to me. There hasn't been a loved film since 2016.

They absolutely fumbled some all-time great SW characters in Fett & Kenobi.

SpreadsheetAg
AG
TCTTS said:

This nonsense again?
Always ... and yes South Park nailed Kathleen Kennedy
double aught
AG
Farmer1906 said:

double aught said:

Really?

Andor
Rogue One
Force Awakens
Mando

Hit Rate

Like I said. Not all garbage.
Farmer1906
AG
double aught said:

Farmer1906 said:

double aught said:

Really?

Andor
Rogue One
Force Awakens
Mando

Hit Rate

And I never said it was. So we agree.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

Because Damon Lindelof and Steven Knight are two of the best screenwriters around. Lindelof, in particular, had an entire "writers room" helping him conceive the project, then he and another writer went off and wrote the script itself. A sh*t ton of time, planning, and effort went into that iteration, with a number of creative minds involved. After that, Knight took multiple shots at it, and Lucasfilm apparently still wasn't happy. So what's more likely, a number of great minds failed to stick the landing - or - Lucasfilm is forcing a myopic movie on those great minds? My guess is the latter, though I could always of course be wrong.
And Lindelof in particular is a massive Star Wars fan.

For anyone who isn't familiar, the story of when he met JJ Abrams for the first time just before they collaborated on Lost is pretty great (I've seen him tell the story in a video and can't find it):

Quote:

"JJ agreed to meet me, as a possible partner," Damon Lindelof said of partnering with J.J. to ease-up some of the work load. "Our paths had crossed before backstage at a Bruce Springsteen concert, but I was too starstruck to introduce myself to him at that point: my wife and I were huge fans of Alias. We met on a Monday afternoon. I was very nervous and wearing a Bantha Tracks fan-club T-shirt, which I've owned since I was a kid. It's my good-luck charm. JJ immediately pointed at it and said, 'Bantha Tracks!'"
The Porkchop Express
AG
double aught said:

Really?

Andor
Rogue One
Force Awakens
Mando
And almost all of the animated stuff.
Clone Wars
Rebels
Bad Batch
Tales of the Jedi

Also, I thought Ahsoka was fantastic.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Farmer1906 said:

double aught said:

Farmer1906 said:

double aught said:

Really?

Andor
Rogue One
Force Awakens
Mando

Hit Rate

And I never said it was. So we agree.

I mean you asked for examples, and he gave them.
First Page Last Page
Page 1236 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.