Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,604,056 Views | 45375 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by jokershady
bluefire579
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Chipotlemonger said:

What's up with the blank area under "The Old Republic?"

We want KOTOR! Also, freaking Battlefront is listed on here, where is KOTOR?!
Old post bump.
The story in Battlefront 2 is considered canon since it was created post-Disney acquisition.

KOTOR came out before the acquisition, and has thus been relegated to Legends like all the other games before acquisition (including Rogue Squadron, TIE Fighter, Jedi Knight Series, etc.).

Not sure if the KOTOR remake was going to propel it into canon, but given what's going on with its development, I'm not confident we'll ever find out either way.
Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Farmer1906 said:

double aught said:

Farmer1906 said:

double aught said:

Really?

Andor
Rogue One
Force Awakens
Mando
Solo (Quality more than box office)
I think some would question if these are all "hits".

Hit Rate

Live Action: 40% (2/5)
Animated: 0% (0/6)
Films: 60% (3/5)
Overall: 31% (5/16)

Seems pretty poor to me. There hasn't been a loved film since 2016.

They absolutely fumbled some all-time great SW characters in Fett & Kenobi.

Like I said. Not all garbage.

And I never said it was. So we agree.

I mean you asked for examples, and he gave them.

Yes, he did. What is your point?
Chipotlemonger
AG
There's no sense in arguing with mr popcorn, y'all.
Farmer1906
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Who's arguing? I said the bar was low for the garbage being put out. Someone said it's not all garage. I agree. What's there to be upset about?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Mr Popcorn can't help but to always have the last word and he never acquiesces in an online disagreement. His posting got better for a while but this recent slew of posts is like the old form never left.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Who's arguing? I said the bar was low for the garbage being put out. Someone said it's not all garage. I agree. What's there to be upset about?
Nobod'ys upset, you just pretended like you needed to be told a list of what the good projects have been.
Farmer1906
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Mr Popcorn can't help but to always have the last word and he never acquiesces in an online disagreement. His posting got better for a while but this recent slew of posts is like the old form never left.
You have a nickname for me and know all about my "posting style". Seeing as we don't post on any of the same threads besides this one and I rarely post here, I am going to assume you're a fan of my Astros work. Always nice to meet a fan. I'll give you an autograph if ya want.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Chipotlemonger
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

You have a nickname for me and know all about my "posting style". Seeing as we don't post on any of the same threads besides this one and I rarely post here, I am going to assume you're a fan of my Astros work. Always nice to meet a fan. I'll give you an autograph if ya want.
https://texags.com/forums/53/topics/2659458/2

Don't flatter yourself.
maroon barchetta
WTH is going on here
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Apparently they couldn't make Daisy Ridley gay.
YouBet
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Y'all aren't even talking about the same subject matter.
Urban Ag
AG
maroon barchetta said:

WTH is going on here
Is it not clear?

maroon barchetta
This cat looks similar to one we had for 17 years. I like this one.

Murder Hornet
AG
maroon barchetta said:

This cat looks similar to one we had for 17 years. I like this one.

Fran cat!!
Dekker_Lentz
AG
There are four fundamental problems Disney made with Star Wars and continues to make.

1. An initial aversion to the old EU material.
2. Luke as a failed Jedi Master.
3. Han and Leia as failed parents.
4. A failure to move away from safe marketable characters.

While 2-3 are probably a very realistic outcome, nobody is going to watch Star Wars to see that story. 1. Was probably a business decision.

Almost all the "good" Disney Star Wars material avoids 2&3 and leans into 1. Andor-verse and Mando-verse embraced 4 had success.

Disney needs to move either Old Republic era and do whatever they want or do a series 50+ years post Episode 9 and do whatever they want.

Disney needs to have faith that new characters and stories will sell merch.
maroon barchetta
You can almost hear Yub Nub in the background.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
maroon barchetta said:

You can almost hear Yub Nub in the background.

That kid literally lived the dream.
maroon barchetta
No kidding.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

There is absolutely no reason this job should be so complicated and see this many headaches.

There is also no excuse at this point to be holding on so tight / treating this franchise so preciously, and your comment is exactly the reason why.

Fans ALREADY have one foot out the door. Interest has ALREADY wained.

The damage is done.

It's time to trust filmmakers and let Star Wars take chances / be something new. We need someone in charge who finally understands that.

the way it's been getting ran I truly feel like your average mega fan who's seen all shows and read all books and comics that are canon would do a better job then KK and whoever else is calling the shots
TCTTS
AG
It usually bugs me when some Average Joe off the street thinks it can't be that hard to write a screenplay or direct a movie, but in this case I legitimately do think there are a number of savvy mega fans out there, who understand story, who could absolutely do a better job planning out these movies / coming up with a new direction for the franchise.

Now, would those same people have the skills to run a company, identify creative fits, take meetings with writers and directors, and do all the other things required to actually oversee/produce a slate of movies and shows? Almost assuredly not. You either need a Fiege/Gunn type who can do it all, which is incredibly rare - or - you need someone who has those skills, paired with a Filoni type, who won't get in the way, overthink it all, second guess everything, etc. Something Kennedy simply doesn't seem capable of.
The Porkchop Express
AG
jokershady said:

TCTTS said:

There is absolutely no reason this job should be so complicated and see this many headaches.

There is also no excuse at this point to be holding on so tight / treating this franchise so preciously, and your comment is exactly the reason why.

Fans ALREADY have one foot out the door. Interest has ALREADY wained.

The damage is done.

It's time to trust filmmakers and let Star Wars take chances / be something new. We need someone in charge who finally understands that.

the way it's been getting ran I truly feel like your average mega fan who's seen all shows and read all books and comics that are canon would do a better job then KK and whoever else is calling the shots
And yet everyone laughs when I post my fan fiction.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Axe Woves suggests on the gram that production is ramping up soon for Grogu and Mando

jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

It usually bugs me when some Average Joe off the street thinks it can't be that hard to write a screenplay or direct a movie, but in this case I legitimately do think there are a number of savvy mega fans out there, who understand story, who could absolutely do a better job planning out these movies / coming up with a new direction for the franchise.

Now, would those same people have the skills to run a company, identify creative fits, take meetings with writers and directors, and do all the other things required to actually oversee/produce a slate of movies and shows? Almost assuredly not. You either need a Fiege/Gunn type who can do it all, which is incredibly rare - or - you need someone who has those skills, paired with a Filoni type, who won't get in the way, overthink it all, second guess everything, etc. Something Kennedy simply doesn't seem capable of.
100% exactly!!!! Just ideas....that's it! Ideas!!! There are so many incredible directions things could be taken Star Wars just needs someone who actually understands the source material and has ideas for amazing stories!

Put the proper professionals in place to bring it to life and holy crap we could get some amazing stuff.

Hell....there's some episodes from the two seasons of Star Wars Visions that are far more creative and interesting that I'd love to see put to a big screen and expanded on....
TCTTS
AG
I'm seeing unsubstantiated rumors that there actually *is* going to be a fourth season of Mando, but it will only be six episodes (as opposed to the usual eight), setting up the theatrical movie. If so A) filming on the season could very well be starting soon, while still honoring the press release that said filming on the movie begins "later this year," and B) we'd technically still be getting an eight-hour season, it's just that final two hours would obviously be presented as one movie on the big screen.

Again, none of this is even remotely conformed, but it would explain any kind of filming potentially set to start soon.
maroon barchetta
Fans on this board laid out a better Kenobi story than what Disney put on tv.
Vince Blake
I haven't read the board's story but no doubt it would have been better than what they released. Kenobi could have been the most impactful, emotional Star Wars piece ever made. Dealing with grief, loss, post-war trauma and a great actor like Ewan would've pulled it off. It's shameful what we got instead.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Couple of thoughts:

1. Gary Kurtz was Star Wars Feige. https://www.avclub.com/gary-kurtz-the-forgotten-force-behind-star-wars-1850391769

2. In reading the Unofficial MCU book Feige taught himself to be a super fan. The MCU and Star Wars are both modern mythologies. If you treat them as mythology and it is much easier to tell a good stories. I think that is what "fans" bring to the table they can supply the who, what, when and why that get characters from point A to point B.

3. Also, I don't think "liking" Star Wars is necessary. Tony Gilroy is pretty dismissive of the franchise, but he has made some of the best Star Wars for Disney. But he gets the mythology aspect. He explored Star Wars WW2 British lens and he got the important part of the story was the character's sacrifice and how they got to that point.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/star-wars-rogue-one-writer-tony-gilroy-opens-up-reshoots-1100060/amp/

4. Disney needs just need to focus on telling a good myth. And if they can't do that, take their EU stuff that already tells a good myth and modify it for tv and film just like Marvel does.

Right now they could adapt the X-Wing Comics Soontir Fel (The Empire's Red Baron during Episodes 4-6) back storyline and have an awesome Disney+ show causal and hardcore fans would enjoy. Show events and the rebellion from his perspective. Or just adapt Star Wars: Lost Stars (Imperial Cadets then Officers living through the original trilogy with main characters in a fairly compelling Romeo/Juliet story) as a multi-season show.

For a company famous for stealing ideas and making money from them, it is vexing they won't do it for Star Wars.

The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm seeing unsubstantiated rumors that there actually *is* going to be a fourth season of Mando, but it will only be six episodes (as opposed to the usual eight), setting up the theatrical movie. If so A) filming on the season could very well be starting soon, while still honoring the press release that said filming on the movie begins "later this year," and B) we'd technically still be getting an eight-hour season, it's just that final two hours would obviously be presented as one movie on the big screen.

Again, none of this is even remotely conformed, but it would explain any kind of filming potentially set to start soon.
i've seen that too, but the guy who is promoting it isn't the most trustworthy guy anymore.
TCTTS
AG
Good to know.
fig96
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

3. Also, I don't think "liking" Star Wars is necessary. Tony Gilroy is pretty dismissive of the franchise, but he has made some of the best Star Wars for Disney. But he gets the mythology aspect. He explored Star Wars WW2 British lens and he got the important part of the story was the character's sacrifice and how they got to that point.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/star-wars-rogue-one-writer-tony-gilroy-opens-up-reshoots-1100060/amp/

Yes and no.

I get the point and Rogue One and Andor are two of my favorite Star Wars properties ever, but they're only sort of peripherally set in the Star Wars universe. Most of those stories could've worked outside the Star Wars framework with minor adaptation and still been fantastic.

If we're taking about a "core" Star Wars film that ties into the bigger story in the universe I want someone who's at least a fan telling that story. Whether that's a Filoni or a Bryce Dallas Howard or someone else, there's lots of good options.
TCTTS
AG
From Jeff Sneider's (pay) newsletter tonight, who I trust over both World of Reel and Germain at io9. Basically, it sounds like the Rey movie is technically still on schedule, though Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy's job might not be 100% secure, and any number of factors could of course still derail the project...

Quote:

There's been a lot of chatter about the Rey/New Jedi Order movie online… but I'm not sure why. Nothing has happened to it. Does that qualify as Star Wars news in and of itself these days? "It's quiet… a little too quiet… on the Rey movie?"

Obviously, we scoopers were talking about it as the next Star Wars film… until we weren't, and it became clear that Lucasfilm was going with the safer option of The Mandalorian and Grogu. But that doesn't mean that the Rey movie is dead… or delayed indefinitely.

It just means that as of now, it will be the second new movie from Lucasfilm.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that the Mandalorian movie will take that May 22, 2026 date that Disney has currently reserved for an untitled Star Wars movie, and maybe we'll see Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy's Rey movie later that year around Christmas, if she survives her latest PR blunder, of course.

Naturally, a vocal minority comprised of toxic fanboys have been all but frothing at the mouth lately calling for Obaid-Chinoy's removal due to an out-of-context quote from eight years ago, and while there has certainly been a learning curve for the Pakistani-American documentary filmmaker during her time at Lucasfilm, it would be unwise for Kathleen Kennedy to cut ties with her at this time.

Of course, some have questioned how Obaid-Chinoy landed the job in the first place given her relative inexperience with big-budget filmmaking. However, as someone who has never worshipped the cult of Star Wars - which perhaps makes me a better fit to write about the franchise objectively - I truly believe that an outside-the-box perspective could be just what this galaxy needs.

"I think it's a really fantastic exploration of the Star Wars world. It's a really cool way of taking the story on in a bit of a different direction," Ridley has previously said.

However, just like an athlete proves it on the court or the field, it's now time for Obaid-Chinoy to go make a movie so it can do the talking for her.

If - and mind you, this is a big IF - but if Obaid-Chinoy does exit for whatever reason, I would not be shocked to see Shawn Levy step in once he finishes Deadpool 3, as I've heard that his Star Wars project may also involve Rey somehow. For that reason, it could make sense from a creative perspective, though I have no idea if Levy's schedule would allow for such a massive endeavor as I know he's juggling a bunch of different projects across film and television, plus, he may be wary of being seen as anyone's back-up.

Levy's schedule doesn't really matter right now anyway because Obaid-Chinoy is still very much aboard the Rey project as of now, and so is Steven Knight, who isn't going anywhere at the moment as he's deep into writing the next draft of the script.

So, stay patient, fanboys, and let Lucasfilm cook. Things are, obviously, subject to change, but the last thing any of us want - the casual fans or the diehards - is a script that has been rushed into production to make a date.
Meanwhile, regardless of how the Rey project ultimately shakes out, Lucasfilm is also developing Dave Filoni's New Republic movie and James Mangold's "Dawn of the Jedi" movie, and while many presume Filoni's film would be out first, he still has to write Season 2 of Ahsoka. So, as of now, I believe that Mangold's will be the third film in 2027, and Filoni's the fourth possibly as far away as 2028.

And speaking of Rey… agency sources tell me that Daisy Ridley will be pocketing $12.5 million for that new movie. It's not Bob Iger-level compensation of $31.6 million but it's still quite the eye-popping figure for an actress of her stature. Apparently, that's what it cost to bring back J.J. Abrams' leading lady, whose normal quote is… below that.

To which I say, "You go, girl! Get that bag, honey."

Will that kind of payday entice anyone else from The Force Awakens to return for future Star Wars installments? Stay tuned…
Dekker_Lentz
AG
fig96 said:

If we're taking about a "core" Star Wars film that ties into the bigger story in the universe I want someone who's at least a fan telling that story. Whether that's a Filoni or a Bryce Dallas Howard or someone else, there's lots of good options.

I would argue Rogue One is a "core" movie, but I get why you said it isn't.

This is going to come off as more argumentative than I mean it, but where exactly is a "core" Star Wars movie and the bigger storyline today?

Aside from what happens to Rey, all the big questions from the nine movies seem to be answered and the struggle seems to be finding something new.

While I agree, I would prefer someone who is fan, I think someone who respects the movies and understands how to tell a story would work just fine.

Also, it seems Christopher Nolan loves Star Wars? How do we live in a world where Christopher Nolan isn't making a Star Wars movie? This feels like a no brainer for Disney.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Chris Nolan for Star Wars sounds good to me, but my snarky side wonders how he would work his favorite theme (time) into it.
Belton Ag
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Chris Nolan for Star Wars sounds good to me, but my snarky side wonders how he would work his favorite theme (time) into it.

They use space whales to go forward in time to San Francisco to save the whales.
First Page Last Page
Page 1237 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.