Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,609,905 Views | 45381 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by jokershady
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was trying to be polite
bluefire579
AG
TCTTS said:

After Watchmen, I'm down with watching whatever he puts out
redline248
AG
My recollection of Watchmen was it being a very good show with a disappointing ending. Plus at least one complete loose end with slippery man or whatever.

Regardless, I'm past the point of expecting good or bad based on a director. Except Rian Johnson. F-ck that guy.
Rex Racer
AG
redline248 said:

My recollection of Watchmen was it being a very good show with a disappointing ending. Plus at least one complete loose end with slippery man or whatever.

Regardless, I'm past the point of expecting good or bad based on a director. Except Rian Johnson. F-ck that guy.
Even Rian Johnson puts out good stuff. Knives Out was great.
YouBet
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

So the guy behind 2 of the wokest shows in recent times is going to make a star wars movie?

1)I have zero doubt it will be excellent (like you've said, he has grown a lot)
2)I predict massive melting by certain posters/demographics
I will actually be impressed if he can pull that off in a multi-channel universe that already has hundreds of different humanoid characters that has previously broached geopolitical and class warfare narratives.

Yet, if he can somehow make one certain human race oppressed and deserving of special treatment above all other races and species, I will look upon this work as an actual achievement in high comedy.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Kvives Out was fun but you knew essentially what you were going to get going in... comedy, who-done-it, mystery, head-fakes, etc.

Applying any of that in the same such magnitude to a Star Wars film was folly (in my opinion)
Rex Racer
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Kvives Out was fun but you knew essentially what you were going to get going in... comedy, who-done-it, mystery, head-fakes, etc.

Applying any of that in the same such magnitude to a Star Wars film was folly (in my opinion)
I did not apply Knives Out the same magnitude as a Star Wars film, however. I just said it was great. It was an homage to an Agatha Christie story, and for what it was, it was great. It is certainly NOT Star Wars.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Rex Racer said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

I did not apply Knives Out the same magnitude as a Star Wars film, however. I just said it was great. It was an homage to an Agatha Christie story, and for what it was, it was great. It is certainly NOT Star Wars.
Sorry for miscommunication: this was not a knock on you (at all)...

It was knock on RJ, TLJ, and subverting expectations.
Rex Racer
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Rex Racer said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Sorry for miscommunication: this was not a knock on you (at all)...

It was knock on RJ, TLJ, and subverting expectations.
Gotcha.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I was trying to be polite

Sorry but your taste is very questionable if you're implying ALL of Lost was bad.
Ulrich
SpreadsheetAg said:

Star Wars has one of the biggest (and clumsiest) twists in film history, but people still love it. It's not that RJ inserted twists. Without writing a super long post, I think the reason that aspect failed in TLJ was for two main reasons.

First, his twists tended to abandon promises to the viewer rather than fulfill them in unexpected ways. I borrowed that terminology from writer Brandon Sanderson. I wrote a long post about an example a page or two ago.

Second, his twists tended to deflate tension, not escalate it. For example, Snoke was built up as the big bad. The twist with him is that he died like a chump and left us without a main villain going into the climactic movie.

This may be why so many dumb things happen, it was the only way to keep the story going when so many twists ended plot threads.
redline248
AG
Are you calling Vader's reveal clumsy, or Luke finding out he's a twin?
Ulrich
redline248 said:

The retconning of A New Hope to make it seem like the Vader reveal was planned all along. The scene and ramifications were great.
dave94
AG
Ulrich said:

redline248 said:

The retconning of A New Hope to make it seem like the Vader reveal was planned all along. The scene and ramifications were great.

Hey did they retcon ANH?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
dave94 said:

Ulrich said:

redline248 said:

Hey did they retcon ANH?
Other than adding Episode IV A New Hope to the opening crawl for the re-release in 1978, I got nothing.
Ulrich
dave94 said:

Ulrich said:

redline248 said:

Hey did they retcon ANH?

They didn't re-edit ANH (or maybe they did, I'm not sure because I have the theatrical version on DVD so that's what I watch), but they tried to explain away the inconsistencies later.

Obi-Wan's "certain point of view" never sounded very convincing because when ANH was filmed the twist wasn't true. It wasn't until a couple drafts into ESB that the twist came in.
Ulrich
Retcon: (in a film, television series, or other fictional work) a piece of new information that imposes a different interpretation on previously described events, typically used to facilitate a dramatic plot shift or account for an inconsistency.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Ulrich said:

dave94 said:

Ulrich said:

redline248 said:

Hey did they retcon ANH?

They didn't re-edit ANH (or maybe they did, I'm not sure because I have the theatrical version on DVD so that's what I watch), but they tried to explain away the inconsistencies later.

Obi-Wan's "certain point of view" never sounded very convincing because when ANH was filmed the twist wasn't true. It wasn't until a couple drafts into ESB that the twist came in.
Which theatrical version do you have on DVD? I was thinking the version everyone saw in 1977 was no available on DVD. (I own a laser disc player and do have the OT on laser disc, which for Star Wars it may be the version that added the episode and subtitle but I can't recall, it's been years since I actually fired that thing up).
Ulrich
This link doesn't really look like it will work but here goes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224504750239?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=224504750239&targetid=1263433204254&device=m&mktype=&googleloc=9028086&poi=&campaignid=14859008593&mkgroupid=130497710760&rlsatarget=pla-1263433204254&abcId=9300678&merchantid=6296724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIurPl2vvI9gIVvm1vBB0JQgXmEAQYASABEgJODPD_BwE
Ulrich
I think the main disc is the special edition remastered in the 90s. The theatrical versions are on the special features at lower res.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Ulrich said:

dave94 said:

Ulrich said:

redline248 said:

Hey did they retcon ANH?

Which theatrical version do you have on DVD? I was thinking the version everyone saw in 1977 was no available on DVD. (I own a laser disc player and do have the OT on laser disc, which for Star Wars it may be the version that added the episode and subtitle but I can't recall, it's been years since I actually fired that thing up).

Thank god you said something; there's this guy on The Nerdery that been looking for help converting DVDs to Laserdisc since like 2007....

https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/792948
maroon barchetta
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I mean if that's a retcon, TROS was retcon of a retcon. A retretcon, if you will.
C@LAg
Ulrich said:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Belton Ag
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Ulrich said:

dave94 said:

Ulrich said:

redline248 said:

Hey did they retcon ANH?

I have a VHS trilogy set sitting in a box in my garage from around 1988 or so. I've been meaning to try and get those onto a DVD or a thumb drive. I'd love to see the unaltered movies again.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

He's definitely into murders and executions
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Ulrich said:

dave94 said:

Ulrich said:

redline248 said:

Hey did they retcon ANH?

Thank god you said something; there's this guy on The Nerdery that been looking for help converting DVDs to Laserdisc since like 2007....

https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/792948
The Porkchop Express
AG
Cool comics updates. Charles Soule is doing his 100th issue and is doing an "unfinished tales" collection of stories he started or proposed but didn't get made.

Also, the Mando series debuts this summer. Think it retells the first season but with some extra adventures mixed in.

Ulrich
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I mean if that's a retcon, TROS was retcon of a retcon. A retretcon, if you will.

One of the problems with the trilogy was that Johnson and Abrams appeared to be going out of their way to undo things the other had set up, and also sniping at each other via movie dialogue. Even though I sympathize with Abrams, he was a little too on the nose. "Rose has to go study for the rest of the movie".

Lucas did it to himself, his greatest myth making is about Lucas, not Luke S.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Although I somewhat sympathize with what JJ had to work with after TLJ, he literally kicked off the sequels with a line sniping at Lucas, which was in poor taste imo. A shot at Lucas, the only reason the universe exists.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Although I somewhat sympathize with what JJ had to work with after TLJ, he literally kicked off the sequels with a line sniping at Lucas, which was in poor taste imo. A shot at Lucas, the only reason the universe exists.
You and I will never agree on the sequels, but you're telling me that Lorn Sar Tekka saying ""This will begin to make things right." is a diss at George Lucas?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yes, and pretty clearly so.

How did you take it?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yes, and pretty clearly so.

How did you take it?
Well, the plot of the movie is that they're trying to find Luke Skywalker in order to get the Jedi active again and combat the First Order.

So I took it as

"This" - the part of the map that Lorn Sar Tekka gives to Poe

"will begin" - can be used to find Luke Skywalker, who saved the galaxy from the Empire

"to make things" - the state of the galaxy being really crappy right with the First Order on the loose

"right" - as opposed to not good, like they are now.

I realize we have disagreed a lot and you probably think I am one ****ty person. But to think JJ Abrams, who calls Star Wars one of his defining moments in becoming a filmmaker, is reverential of the OT, and paid massive homage to ANH in TFA would intentionally insult George Lucas with the very first line of the movie, and that would have much power that no one would notice and stop it in the editing process, is just beyond baffling to me. To quote TC from the Dune thread, I do not know a single person who has ever mentioned that, and I know some big time SW nerds.
Duncan Idaho
I am going to have to agree here. This seems like a stretch
First Page Last Page
Page 1096 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.